    tried changing the icon for html files to the standard IE one; yet everytime
    Mozilla starts it changes it back to the previous style.Any hints on how to
    convince Mozilla to keep the IE icons?
    Alan P, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Alan P

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Alan P wrote:

    > Heya all,
    >
    > Am using Mozilla Firebird as my default browser; yet it confuses my family
    > to see the Mozilla .html icons, rather than the standard Windows ones. I
    > tried changing the icon for html files to the standard IE one; yet everytime
    > Mozilla starts it changes it back to the previous style.Any hints on how to
    > convince Mozilla to keep the IE icons?

    Which icons and where are they displayed? If you mean in Windows
    Explorer for files of (for example) .htm and .html type, I think that
    Mozilla sets those values in the Windows registry on startup because it
    is the default program for those file types. You can uncheck that
    option in Mozilla under Edit - Preferences - Advanced - System.
    However, if you uncheck them, Mozilla will probably no longer
    automatically launch when you double-click an html file in Explorer.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Alan P

    Alan P Guest

    True, I just didn't want to lose Mozilla as my default browser. while
    keeping the standard Windows .htmlfile icons

    Alan P, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Alan P

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Alan P wrote:
    > True, I just didn't want to lose Mozilla as my default browser. while
    > keeping the standard Windows .htmlfile icons
    >
    > "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Alan P wrote:
    >>

    >>>Heya all,
    >>>
    >>>Am using Mozilla Firebird as my default browser; yet it confuses my

    > family
    >
    >>>to see the Mozilla .html icons, rather than the standard Windows ones. I
    >>>tried changing the icon for html files to the standard IE one; yet

    > everytime
    >
    >>>Mozilla starts it changes it back to the previous style.Any hints on how

    >>>convince Mozilla to keep the IE icons?
    >>>

    >>Which icons and where are they displayed? If you mean in Windows
    >>Explorer for files of (for example) .htm and .html type, I think that
    >>Mozilla sets those values in the Windows registry on startup because it
    >>is the default program for those file types. You can uncheck that
    >>option in Mozilla under Edit - Preferences - Advanced - System.
    >>However, if you uncheck them, Mozilla will probably no longer
    >>automatically launch when you double-click an html file in Explorer.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Ed Mullen
    >>http://edmullen.net
    >>A fool and his money are soon partying.

    Ok. Did a little experimenting in Windows XP Home. Might be applicable
    to other Windows versions.

    Mozilla is default browser.
    Mozilla has checked in preferences to be the default handler for html files.

    I went into Windows Explorer, Tools, File Types, scrolled down to html
    file type. Hghtlighted that. Clicked Advanced button. Clicked Change
    Icon. Pointed to something other than the Mozilla default. OK out of
    all that. It sticks when Moz is closed and reopened.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Dec 8, 2003
  5. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Alan P wrote:
    >
    >>True, I just didn't want to lose Mozilla as my default browser. while
    >>keeping the standard Windows .htmlfile icons
    >>
    >>"Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message

    >>family

    >>everytime

    >>>Which icons and where are they displayed? If you mean in Windows
    >>>Explorer for files of (for example) .htm and .html type, I think that
    >>>Mozilla sets those values in the Windows registry on startup because it
    >>>is the default program for those file types. You can uncheck that
    >>>option in Mozilla under Edit - Preferences - Advanced - System.
    >>>However, if you uncheck them, Mozilla will probably no longer
    >>>automatically launch when you double-click an html file in Explorer.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Ed Mullen
    >>>http://edmullen.net
    >>>A fool and his money are soon partying.
    >>>

    > Ok. Did a little experimenting in Windows XP Home. Might be applicable
    > to other Windows versions.
    >
    > Mozilla is default browser.
    > Mozilla has checked in preferences to be the default handler for html files.
    >
    > I went into Windows Explorer, Tools, File Types, scrolled down to html
    > file type. Hghtlighted that. Clicked Advanced button. Clicked Change
    > Icon. Pointed to something other than the Mozilla default. OK out of
    > all that. It sticks when Moz is closed and reopened.

    Ed is absolutely right.

    You do realize, of course, that the "standard windows" icon is that for
    Internet Explorer. Heck I went thorugh this process to ensure that it
    DIDN'T show up.

    But peace in the family is paramount, I guess. :)

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 8, 2003
  6. Alan P

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >

    >>Alan P wrote:
    >>

    >>>True, I just didn't want to lose Mozilla as my default browser. while
    >>>keeping the standard Windows .htmlfile icons
    >>>
    >>>"Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message

    >>>family

    >>>everytime

    >>Ok. Did a little experimenting in Windows XP Home. Might be applicable
    >>to other Windows versions.
    >>
    >>Mozilla is default browser.
    >>Mozilla has checked in preferences to be the default handler for html files.
    >>
    >>I went into Windows Explorer, Tools, File Types, scrolled down to html
    >>file type. Hghtlighted that. Clicked Advanced button. Clicked Change
    >>Icon. Pointed to something other than the Mozilla default. OK out of
    >>all that. It sticks when Moz is closed and reopened.
    >>

    > Ed is absolutely right.
    >
    > You do realize, of course, that the "standard windows" icon is that for
    > Internet Explorer. Heck I went thorugh this process to ensure that it
    > DIDN'T show up.
    >
    > But peace in the family is paramount, I guess. :)
    >
    > Lee

    I wasn't going to say that but I'm glad you did, Lee. :)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Dec 8, 2003