    It would appear that Kiwibank will be including Mozilla/Firefox in the
    "suitable browser" category, as part of changes to its' online banking
    service over the weekend.

    #, Nov 19, 2004

  2. # wrote:
    > It would appear that Kiwibank will be including Mozilla/Firefox in the
    > "suitable browser" category, as part of changes to its' online banking
    > service over the weekend.

    wow, cool.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 19, 2004

  3. #

    Matthias Guest

    # wrote:

    > It would appear that Kiwibank will be including Mozilla/Firefox in the
    > "suitable browser" category, as part of changes to its' online banking
    > service over the weekend.

    I haven't been using anything but Mozilla and Firefox to do my Internet
    banking, so that souldn't take many changes to their current setup...

    -- Matthias

    Matthias, Nov 19, 2004
  4. #

    Matthias Guest

    # wrote:

    > So have I, without problems.
    >
    > They are making improvements, so I don't think that the changes are in
    > response to "compatibility" issues with specific browsers.
    >
    > The point that is being made is the recognition of Mozilla/Firefox as a
    > supported browser. A lot of websites (particularly banking ones) seem to
    > only be aware of IE or Netscape.

    It would be great to see them specifically mention Mozilla and Firefox,
    but considering Netscape is really just an outdated version of Mozilla
    these days, official support for Netscape is good enough for me. They
    are probably getting a few equiries about the compatibility of their
    Internet banking with Mozilla and Firefox, so actually mentioning them
    on their site would make sense.

    -- Matthias

    Matthias, Nov 19, 2004
  5. #

    # Guest

    #, Nov 19, 2004
  6. #

    # Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:32:48 +1300, Matthias wrote:

    > <abridged> They
    > are probably getting a few equiries about the compatibility of their
    > Internet banking with Mozilla and Firefox, so actually mentioning them
    > on their site would make sense.

    It would appear that Westpac has, based on the following;

    Can I use beta test software to bank online?
    For your protection, we do NOT support beta versions of browsers. Even if a
    beta browser meets our security requirements, software updates can
    unknowingly change aspects of how a programme operates with respect to
    security. Therefore, we only support final versions of browsers.

    How soon can I use a new browser version with online banking?
    Under normal circumstances, we will support the final version of a new
    browser approximately two months after the final release date in New
    Zealand.

    In other words, "under normal circumstances" they don't want to know about
    you until the 8/9th of January 2005. No mention of final version support
    for Mozilla or Opera though, only IE and Netscape.

    #, Nov 19, 2004
  7. On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:20:32 +1300, # wrote:

    > It would appear that Kiwibank will be including Mozilla/Firefox in the
    > "suitable browser" category, as part of changes to its' online banking
    > service over the weekend.

    I use it with BNZ online banking with no problems.

    wogers nemesis, Nov 19, 2004
  8. #

    HillBilly Guest

    "#" <> wrote in message
    > It would appear that Kiwibank will be including Mozilla/Firefox in the
    > "suitable browser" category, as part of changes to its' online banking
    > service over the weekend.

    The ANZ online banking pages look different
    with Firefox and when logging in pressing
    return does nothing.. you have to actually
    click the login button... but its still usable..

    HillBilly, Nov 19, 2004
  9. In article <> in nz.comp on Fri,
    19 Nov 2004 17:13:15 +1300, # <> says...
    > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:32:48 +1300, Matthias wrote:
    >
    > > <abridged> They
    > > are probably getting a few equiries about the compatibility of their
    > > Internet banking with Mozilla and Firefox, so actually mentioning them
    > > on their site would make sense.

    > It would appear that Westpac has, based on the following;
    >
    > Can I use beta test software to bank online?
    > For your protection, we do NOT support beta versions of browsers. Even if a
    > beta browser meets our security requirements, software updates can
    > unknowingly change aspects of how a programme operates with respect to
    > security. Therefore, we only support final versions of browsers.
    >
    > How soon can I use a new browser version with online banking?
    > Under normal circumstances, we will support the final version of a new
    > browser approximately two months after the final release date in New
    > Zealand.
    >
    > In other words, "under normal circumstances" they don't want to know about
    > you until the 8/9th of January 2005. No mention of final version support
    > for Mozilla or Opera though, only IE and Netscape.

    What a load of rubbish
    I've used Mozilla on Westpac banking since 1.5, no problems, currently
    using 1.8a3

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 19, 2004
  10. #

    _.-._ Guest

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:52:08 +1300, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <> in nz.comp on Fri,
    > 19 Nov 2004 17:13:15 +1300, # <> says...
    >> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:32:48 +1300, Matthias wrote:
    >>
    >>> <abridged> They
    >>> are probably getting a few equiries about the compatibility of their
    >>> Internet banking with Mozilla and Firefox, so actually mentioning them
    >>> on their site would make sense.

    >> It would appear that Westpac has, based on the following;
    >>
    >> Can I use beta test software to bank online?
    >> For your protection, we do NOT support beta versions of browsers. Even if a
    >> beta browser meets our security requirements, software updates can
    >> unknowingly change aspects of how a programme operates with respect to
    >> security. Therefore, we only support final versions of browsers.
    >>
    >> How soon can I use a new browser version with online banking?
    >> Under normal circumstances, we will support the final version of a new
    >> browser approximately two months after the final release date in New
    >> Zealand.
    >>
    >> In other words, "under normal circumstances" they don't want to know about
    >> you until the 8/9th of January 2005. No mention of final version support
    >> for Mozilla or Opera though, only IE and Netscape.

    > What a load of rubbish
    > I've used Mozilla on Westpac banking since 1.5, no problems, currently
    > using 1.8a3

    What is rubbish?

    The fact that they don't offer support for any browsers other than IE or
    Netscape, as stated on their website?

    _.-._, Nov 19, 2004
  11. #

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:20:32 +1300, # wrote:

    > It would appear that Kiwibank will be including Mozilla/Firefox in the
    > "suitable browser" category, as part of changes to its' online banking
    > service over the weekend.

    Kiwibank needs to press the accelerator some more.

    Gordon, Nov 20, 2004
  12. #

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:32:48 +1300, Matthias wrote:

    > It would be great to see them specifically mention Mozilla and Firefox,
    > but considering Netscape is really just an outdated version of Mozilla
    > these days, official support for Netscape is good enough for me. They
    > are probably getting a few equiries about the compatibility of their
    > Internet banking with Mozilla and Firefox, so actually mentioning them
    > on their site would make sense.

    a) You mean people, as in Jane Smith, are using Firefox/Mozilla?
    b) If they mention them does this mean that more people will use them/it?

    Gordon, Nov 20, 2004
  13. #

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:13:15 +1300, # wrote:

    > Under normal circumstances, we will support the final version of a new
    > browser approximately two months after the final release date in New
    > Zealand.

    Now does this not show use how much the banks are in some other field than
    the real world one.

    Psst, hint the Internet is Global. A programme gets released world wide,
    yes?

    Thought, does Bittorrent confuse the issue?

    Gordon, Nov 20, 2004
  14. #

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:16:33 +1300, _.-._ wrote:

    > What is rubbish?
    >
    > The fact that they don't offer support for any browsers other than IE or
    > Netscape, as stated on their website?

    Suuport is differen from Another browser will work.

    Gordon, Nov 20, 2004
  15. In article <1c6qchwykzuux$.xj8gmch2yu7f$> in nz.comp on
    Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:16:33 +1300, _.-._ <> says...
    > On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:52:08 +1300, Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    > > In article <> in nz.comp on Fri,
    > > 19 Nov 2004 17:13:15 +1300, # <> says...

    > >> It would appear that Westpac has, based on the following;
    > >>
    > >> Can I use beta test software to bank online?
    > >> For your protection, we do NOT support beta versions of browsers. Even if a
    > >> beta browser meets our security requirements, software updates can
    > >> unknowingly change aspects of how a programme operates with respect to
    > >> security. Therefore, we only support final versions of browsers.
    > >>
    > >> How soon can I use a new browser version with online banking?
    > >> Under normal circumstances, we will support the final version of a new
    > >> browser approximately two months after the final release date in New
    > >> Zealand.
    > >>
    > >> In other words, "under normal circumstances" they don't want to know about
    > >> you until the 8/9th of January 2005. No mention of final version support
    > >> for Mozilla or Opera though, only IE and Netscape.

    > > What a load of rubbish
    > > I've used Mozilla on Westpac banking since 1.5, no problems, currently
    > > using 1.8a3

    > What is rubbish?
    >
    > The fact that they don't offer support for any browsers other than IE or
    > Netscape, as stated on their website?

    Never read that. I can tell you that Mozilla works with the Westpac site
    and has always worked.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 20, 2004
  16. #

    # Guest

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:00:43 +1300, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    >>> What a load of rubbish
    >>> I've used Mozilla on Westpac banking since 1.5, no problems, currently
    >>> using 1.8a3

    >> What is rubbish?
    >>
    >> The fact that they don't offer support for any browsers other than IE or
    >> Netscape, as stated on their website?

    > Never read that. I can tell you that Mozilla works with the Westpac site
    > and has always worked.

    It would appear that you have completely missed the intent of the
    discussion lines and point of the thread which is dealing with the matter
    of support, as the subject line indicates.

    The following pages on the Westpac site make it clear what browsers they do
    support:

    http://www.westpac.co.nz/olcontent/olcontent.nsf/Content/Getting started#recommended

    As mentioned in earlier posts, only IE and Netscape are listed as being
    supported, and this seems to be common with most online bamking services.

    The page on Westpac's site that would apply to the recently out of beta and
    into full release Firefox can be found at:

    http://www.westpac.co.nz/olcontent/olcontent.nsf/Content/Technical questions

    Hopefully that makes it clearer for you.

    #, Nov 20, 2004
  17. #

    # Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:20:32 +1300, # wrote:

    It is now confirmed.

    Mozilla and Firefox receive official support on the Kiwibank website,
    complete with browser setting recommendations.

    From the Kiwibank website...

    To use Internet banking you need to have a computer that has:

    1. An Internet connection
    2. Internet Explorer 5.01+, or
    3. Netscape 6+, or
    4. Mozilla 1.6+ or Mozilla Firefox 0.8+

    and also...

    Although we don't fully support them, we have tried Internet banking with
    Opera and Safari with satisfactory results. You may find some graphics
    don't match what you see within the Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape
    browsers, but otherwise the site should allow you to view your accounts and
    transactions.

    #, Nov 21, 2004
  18. Hi there,

    Matthias wrote:
    > # wrote:
    >
    >> So have I, without problems.
    >>
    >> They are making improvements, so I don't think that the changes are in
    >> response to "compatibility" issues with specific browsers.
    >>
    >> The point that is being made is the recognition of Mozilla/Firefox as a
    >> supported browser. A lot of websites (particularly banking ones) seem to
    >> only be aware of IE or Netscape.

    > It would be great to see them specifically mention Mozilla and Firefox,
    > but considering Netscape is really just an outdated version of Mozilla
    > these days, official support for Netscape is good enough for me. They
    > are probably getting a few equiries about the compatibility of their
    > Internet banking with Mozilla and Firefox, so actually mentioning them
    > on their site would make sense.

    Odd you mention that, but I still prefer Netscape 7.2 over Firefox 1.0
    for browsing. NS runs faster on my Mandrake Linux system, and has not
    had near as many errors with IE 'friendly' pages as Firefox has. Not
    only that but the download of NS was not much bigger than the Firefox
    1.0 one, which surprised me considering you get the mail/news/IM and
    composer with NS as well...

    Having said that Firefox is still pretty good...there are more themes
    available for Firefox, so it at least looks prettier than NS here...

    :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 23, 2004
  19. Hi there,

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <> in nz.comp on Fri,
    > 19 Nov 2004 17:13:15 +1300, # <> says...
    >
    >>On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:32:48 +1300, Matthias wrote:
    >>

    >>><abridged> They
    >>>are probably getting a few equiries about the compatibility of their
    >>>Internet banking with Mozilla and Firefox, so actually mentioning them
    >>>on their site would make sense.

    >>It would appear that Westpac has, based on the following;
    >>
    >>Can I use beta test software to bank online?
    >>For your protection, we do NOT support beta versions of browsers. Even if a
    >>beta browser meets our security requirements, software updates can
    >>unknowingly change aspects of how a programme operates with respect to
    >>security. Therefore, we only support final versions of browsers.
    >>
    >>How soon can I use a new browser version with online banking?
    >>Under normal circumstances, we will support the final version of a new
    >>browser approximately two months after the final release date in New
    >>Zealand.
    >>
    >>In other words, "under normal circumstances" they don't want to know about
    >>you until the 8/9th of January 2005. No mention of final version support
    >>for Mozilla or Opera though, only IE and Netscape.

    > What a load of rubbish
    > I've used Mozilla on Westpac banking since 1.5, no problems, currently
    > using 1.8a3

    That doesn't mean your browser wont work (Westpac online I've done with
    Moz, NS, and even Konqueror successfully). Just that if you *do* have an
    issue only IE and Netscape users will get help...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 23, 2004
  20. In article <> in nz.comp on Wed, 24 Nov
    2004 08:34:11 +1300, Chris Wilkinson <>
    says...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Matthias wrote:
    > > # wrote:
    > >
    > >> So have I, without problems.
    > >>
    > >> They are making improvements, so I don't think that the changes are in
    > >> response to "compatibility" issues with specific browsers.
    > >>
    > >> The point that is being made is the recognition of Mozilla/Firefox as a
    > >> supported browser. A lot of websites (particularly banking ones) seem to
    > >> only be aware of IE or Netscape.

    > > It would be great to see them specifically mention Mozilla and Firefox,
    > > but considering Netscape is really just an outdated version of Mozilla
    > > these days, official support for Netscape is good enough for me. They
    > > are probably getting a few equiries about the compatibility of their
    > > Internet banking with Mozilla and Firefox, so actually mentioning them
    > > on their site would make sense.

    > Odd you mention that, but I still prefer Netscape 7.2 over Firefox 1.0
    > for browsing. NS runs faster on my Mandrake Linux system, and has not
    > had near as many errors with IE 'friendly' pages as Firefox has. Not
    > only that but the download of NS was not much bigger than the Firefox
    > 1.0 one, which surprised me considering you get the mail/news/IM and
    > composer with NS as well...
    >
    > Having said that Firefox is still pretty good...there are more themes
    > available for Firefox, so it at least looks prettier than NS here...

    Personally I prefer Mozilla over Firefox, my impression being that
    Mozilla is a more mature product, and there being more extensions
    available for it. Multizilla does not work in Firefox and the Tabbed
    Browser Extension for FF is not as good as Multizilla.

    I always only install Mozilla as a browser, giving me a much smaller
    download than the whole suite, and I use Thunderbird for email.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 24, 2004