Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird downloads

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Preesi, Mar 15, 2005.

  1. Preesi

    Preesi Guest

    Since Im already jumpy because of that pesky SAIE1101.exe trojan Im
    kinda jumpy cause of a Firewall listing I got about the same time I was
    downloading Thunderbird!
    Its the same one I saw with the saie1101 thing.
    Doesanyone know if these are legitimate Mozilla/Thunderbird download
    sites/methods?
    Time, Event, Intruder, Count, Destination Port
    3/15/2005 9:54:23 AM, UPX_Packed_Executable, ritchie.WCG.McGill.CA, 1,
    3834
    Time, Event, Intruder, Count, Destination Port
    3/15/2005 9:55:33 AM, UPX_Packed_Executable, mirror1.mirrors.tds.net, 1,
    3839

    Im scanning for nasties right now

    --
    preesi
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Preesi, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Preesi

    elaich Guest

    "Preesi" <> wrote in news:Nf2dnZCagdJSn6rfRVn-
    :

    > Since Im already jumpy because of that pesky SAIE1101.exe trojan Im
    > kinda jumpy cause of a Firewall listing I got about the same time I was
    > downloading Thunderbird!
    > Its the same one I saw with the saie1101 thing.
    > Doesanyone know if these are legitimate Mozilla/Thunderbird download
    > sites/methods?
    > Time, Event, Intruder, Count, Destination Port
    > 3/15/2005 9:54:23 AM, UPX_Packed_Executable, ritchie.WCG.McGill.CA, 1,
    > 3834
    > Time, Event, Intruder, Count, Destination Port
    > 3/15/2005 9:55:33 AM, UPX_Packed_Executable, mirror1.mirrors.tds.net, 1,
    > 3839
    >
    > Im scanning for nasties right now

    You should never download anything to do with Mozilla except from
    mozilla.org or mozdev.org, except for extensions and themes, for which
    there are several trusted sites. Those sites do not look familiar to me,
    and I would not trust anything downloaded from them.
    elaich, Mar 15, 2005

  3. Re: lost in my own thoughts

    Maki Komagata, Mar 15, 2005
  4. Preesi

    Gordon Guest

    Preesi wrote:
    > Since Im already jumpy because of that pesky SAIE1101.exe trojan Im
    > kinda jumpy cause of a Firewall listing I got about the same time I was
    > downloading Thunderbird!
    > Its the same one I saw with the saie1101 thing.
    > Doesanyone know if these are legitimate Mozilla/Thunderbird download
    > sites/methods?
    > Time, Event, Intruder, Count, Destination Port
    > 3/15/2005 9:54:23 AM, UPX_Packed_Executable, ritchie.WCG.McGill.CA, 1,
    > 3834
    > Time, Event, Intruder, Count, Destination Port
    > 3/15/2005 9:55:33 AM, UPX_Packed_Executable, mirror1.mirrors.tds.net, 1,
    > 3839
    >
    > Im scanning for nasties right now

    What site were you using to download Thunderbird and Firefox?
    Gordon, Mar 15, 2005
  5. Preesi

    Preesi Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > Preesi wrote:
    >> Since Im already jumpy because of that pesky SAIE1101.exe trojan Im
    >> kinda jumpy cause of a Firewall listing I got about the same time I
    >> was downloading Thunderbird!
    >> Its the same one I saw with the saie1101 thing.
    >> Doesanyone know if these are legitimate Mozilla/Thunderbird download
    >> sites/methods?
    >> Time, Event, Intruder, Count, Destination Port
    >> 3/15/2005 9:54:23 AM, UPX_Packed_Executable, ritchie.WCG.McGill.CA,
    >> 1, 3834
    >> Time, Event, Intruder, Count, Destination Port
    >> 3/15/2005 9:55:33 AM, UPX_Packed_Executable,
    >> mirror1.mirrors.tds.net, 1, 3839
    >>
    >> Im scanning for nasties right now
    >>

    > What site were you using to download Thunderbird and Firefox?

    I went to the default website directly from my Firefox browser, then
    navigated to here:

    preesi
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Preesi, Mar 15, 2005
  6. Preesi

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:54:49 -0500, Preesi wrote:

    >Gordon wrote:
    >> Preesi wrote:
    >>> Since Im already jumpy because of that pesky SAIE1101.exe trojan Im
    >>> kinda jumpy cause of a Firewall listing I got about the same time I
    >>> was downloading Thunderbird!
    >>> Its the same one I saw with the saie1101 thing.
    >>> Doesanyone know if these are legitimate Mozilla/Thunderbird download
    >>> sites/methods?
    >>> Time, Event, Intruder, Count, Destination Port
    >>> 3/15/2005 9:54:23 AM, UPX_Packed_Executable, ritchie.WCG.McGill.CA,
    >>> 1, 3834
    >>> Time, Event, Intruder, Count, Destination Port
    >>> 3/15/2005 9:55:33 AM, UPX_Packed_Executable,
    >>> mirror1.mirrors.tds.net, 1, 3839
    >>>
    >>> Im scanning for nasties right now

    It could well be a UPX packed exe, near the top of

    Thunderbird Setup 1.0.exe
    (6017344 bytes, 5877KB) US Eng version,

    There is UPX0 and UPX1 at offset 0200h
    http://www.google.com/search?q=UPX_Packed_Executable

    From
    1 - http://www.mozilla.org/
    2 - http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
    3 - http://download.mozilla.org/?product=thunderbird&os=win&lang=en-US

    A sniffer gives,

    Destination Protocol Info
    62.31.64.39 DNS Standard query A download.mozilla.org

    192.168.0.11 DNS Standard query response CNAME
    download.osuosl.org CNAME gecko.mozilla.org A 140.211.166.204

    140.211.166.204 HTTP GET
    /?product=thunderbird&os=win&lang=en-US HTTP/1.1

    149.174.36.116 HTTP GET
    /pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/1.0/win32/en-US/Thunderbird%20Setup%201.0.exe
    HTTP/1.1

    The
    mirror1.mirrors.tds.net , appears to be okay
    http://mirror1.mirrors.tds.net/
    ©2002 TDS Telecom, All Rights Reserved
    www.tdstelecom.com - www.tdsmetro.com

    Nothing in the FW logs (Outpost 2.5)

    TDS Hosted Mirror Sites
    HTTP FTP Mozilla.org
    http://mozilla.mirrors.tds.net/pub/mozilla.org
    ftp://mozilla.mirrors.tds.net/pub/mozilla.org

    why?, Mar 15, 2005