    email software?

    Thanks.

    , Jan 13, 2005

  2. KeithS Guest

    wrote:
    > I am curious ... when I download the Mozilla software suite, is the
    > underlying web browser Firefox? And is Thunderbird the underlying
    > email software?

    From http://www.mozilla.org/products/choosing-products.html
    <Mozilla 1.7 is our mature, integrated application suite that includes
    browser, email and newsgroup client, chat client, and an HTML editor.
    Mozilla 1.7 is not a combination of Firefox and Thunderbird. Mozilla 1.7
    is a completely different application.)>

    KeithS

    KeithS, Jan 13, 2005

  3. Xanophile Guest

    KeithS wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am curious ... when I download the Mozilla software suite, is the
    >> underlying web browser Firefox? And is Thunderbird the underlying
    >> email software?

    > From http://www.mozilla.org/products/choosing-products.html
    > <Mozilla 1.7 is our mature, integrated application suite that includes
    > browser, email and newsgroup client, chat client, and an HTML editor.
    > Mozilla 1.7 is not a combination of Firefox and Thunderbird. Mozilla 1.7
    > is a completely different application.)>
    >
    > KeithS

    And let's hope it stays that way.

    Xanophile, Jan 13, 2005
  4. Niels Guest

    Why do you say that?

    Niels, Jan 13, 2005
  5. Ed Mullen Guest

    KeithS wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am curious ... when I download the Mozilla software suite, is the
    >> underlying web browser Firefox? And is Thunderbird the underlying
    >> email software?

    > From http://www.mozilla.org/products/choosing-products.html
    > <Mozilla 1.7 is our mature, integrated application suite that includes
    > browser, email and newsgroup client, chat client, and an HTML editor.
    > Mozilla 1.7 is not a combination of Firefox and Thunderbird. Mozilla 1.7
    > is a completely different application.)>
    >
    > KeithS

    And ... all three apps use the same rendering engine: The Gecko
    Rendering Engine (GRE).

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 14, 2005
  6. Xanophile Guest

    Niels wrote:
    > Why do you say that?
    >

    > On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:55:40 GMT, Xanophile <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>KeithS wrote:

    >>> From http://www.mozilla.org/products/choosing-products.html
    >>><Mozilla 1.7 is our mature, integrated application suite that includes
    >>>browser, email and newsgroup client, chat client, and an HTML editor.
    >>>Mozilla 1.7 is not a combination of Firefox and Thunderbird. Mozilla 1.7
    >>>is a completely different application.)>
    >>>
    >>>KeithS

    >>And let's hope it stays that way.

    If you're asking me then the reason I say that is because 1.) I don't
    like the firefox GUI. Don't bother to mention skins or customizable
    toolbars cause that isn't what I mean, although they are, in general,
    ugly. I *much* prefer the sidebar in Moz, for one thing, I hit F9/type
    my google query/F9 again to close the sidebar and read my results.
    Easy. Bookmarks? History? News? All at the touch of the F9 key. 2.)
    Firefox is still in beta, AFAIC, and doesn't work anywhere near as well
    as Moz in many areas. Page timeouts and links you have to click a
    couple times for it to finally open? No thanks. 3.) Moz lets me add a
    bookmark and NOT have to decide where to put it. Again, don't mention
    extensions. If anything, I think there should be a 'prompt' checkbox in
    the prefs right off the bat. Ask or don't ask. Some people like to
    fiddle with their bookmarks, I just like to do it and move on. Don't
    bother me with petty questions like 'where ya want it?' It's like a new
    and annoying employee. The more they ask the more you wanna backhand
    'em. 4.) Interoperability. Integrated mail/news means it works.
    Something Thunderbird doesn't do.

    I could name a lot of other things, but suffice it to say I like my
    Mozilla and do not want it all screwed up with Firefox-like crap.

    As for extensions......they pretty much suck. Yeah, they're great and
    most work and all, but there should be one central place to add them,
    and it isn't one of a dozen websites. The pref panel!! And once an
    extension is working, they should make sure it keeps working. That's
    part of the problem with open source. The guy who makes a great
    extension gets bored/married/has kids and what happened to your favorite
    extension?? Gone. Sure, someone could pick it up, but they have their
    own idea of how it should work and that's not why it was your favorite
    extension. This is exactly the opposite of how MS got so popular. If
    nothing else, a page should be taken from their books on this topic.
    There should be a central place in the pref panel that lists PROVEN
    WORKING extensions for your product that you can add or remove via a
    checkbox. Not those half baked ones that screw up your browser so it
    won't even start. Like the sidebar tab lists sites that support it, so
    should there be a central place for extensions.

    OK, so this turned into a rant. So be it.

    Xanophile, Jan 14, 2005
  7. KeithS Guest

    Xanophile wrote:

    > OK, so this turned into a rant. So be it.

    And a good, reasoned rant. Agree with a lot of what you say
    KeithS

    KeithS, Jan 14, 2005
  8. Guest

    I would have to agree with Xanophile. I have used Mozilla for a while
    now, but I thought I was missing something when everyone jumped on the
    FireFox bandwagon. I installed FireFox and used it for a couple of
    days. Am I glad I didn't uninstall Mozilla!! FireFox still has a lot
    of work to do in my opinion ... and Xanophile's opinion too. I noticed
    the exact same limitations and wondered how it could be so much
    different than Mozilla if they were supposed to be the same. I
    originally thought FireFox = Mozilla - Email/News - Page Authoring,
    etc. Wrong!!! Thanks for the clarification guys! I'm sticking with
    Mozilla.

    , Jan 20, 2005

  10. KeithS Guest

    wrote:

    > Thanks for the clarification guys! I'm sticking with
    > Mozilla.

    Thanks indeed, saves me the trouble of D/L and install.

    KeithS

    KeithS, Jan 20, 2005