    doing their very worst to alienate users (or at least this one) -- Firefox has
    been my browser of choice for many many years >:-(

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 24, 2011

  2. I think I can say with some degree of certainty that the freezing of firefox 5
    is related to javascripts trying to load sites I've redirected to localhost.

    Having to turn js off is awkward, other browsers do not seem to have this
    problem with javascript. But it runs lightening fast without js, never mind the

    Still majorly disgruntled about the bookmark mess.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 24, 2011

  3. Peter Huebner

    Donchano Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:11:40 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >I think I can say with some degree of certainty that the freezing of firefox 5
    >is related to javascripts trying to load sites I've redirected to localhost.
    >
    >Having to turn js off is awkward, other browsers do not seem to have this
    >problem with javascript. But it runs lightening fast without js, never mind the
    >
    >Still majorly disgruntled about the bookmark mess.
    >
    >-P.

    Many thanks for the heads-up. I had enough problems with 4.01 without
    having to deal with another Firefox mess. I'll wait until there's
    stable version.

    Donchano, Jun 24, 2011
  4. Peter Huebner

    Msgr Scooter Guest

    On , , Fri, 24 Jun 2011 16:42:14 +1200, mozilla firefox 5, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >Does anybody else have problems with this version?

    Nope, none at all.

    > First it lost my bookmarks
    >completely, would not import backups, would not import html file ... in the end
    >I had to manually copy the html file over.
    >
    >Then, it locks up completely at random intervals. Possibly when sites are
    >trying to load ads that I've tar-pitted via the hosts file, I don't know.
    >
    >Very annoying all over. I remember when I tried to upgrade from 3.6 to 4.01 it
    >just crashed, so I never did that step. Now this mess... Looks like Mozilla are
    >doing their very worst to alienate users (or at least this one) -- Firefox has
    >been my browser of choice for many many years >:-(
    >
    >-P.

    to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
    Anatole France.

    Msgr Scooter, Jun 24, 2011
  5. Peter Huebner

    Msgr Scooter Guest

    On , , Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:23:02 +1200, Re: mozilla firefox 5, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:11:40 +1200, Peter Huebner
    ><> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >

    >>I think I can say with some degree of certainty that the freezing of firefox 5
    >>is related to javascripts trying to load sites I've redirected to localhost.
    >>
    >>Having to turn js off is awkward, other browsers do not seem to have this
    >>problem with javascript. But it runs lightening fast without js, never mind the
    >>
    >>Still majorly disgruntled about the bookmark mess.
    >>
    >>-P.

    >Many thanks for the heads-up. I had enough problems with 4.01 without
    >having to deal with another Firefox mess. I'll wait until there's
    >stable version.

    I didn't have any problem with FF4 apart from the "New Tab" button disappearing.

    Msgr Scooter, Jun 24, 2011
  6. Peter Huebner

    Donchano Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:27:08 +1200, Msgr Scooter
    <.123> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >On , , Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:23:02 +1200, Re: mozilla firefox 5, Donchano
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:11:40 +1200, Peter Huebner
    >><> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>

    >>>I think I can say with some degree of certainty that the freezing of firefox 5
    >>>is related to javascripts trying to load sites I've redirected to localhost.
    >>>
    >>>Having to turn js off is awkward, other browsers do not seem to have this
    >>>problem with javascript. But it runs lightening fast without js, never mind the
    >>>
    >>>Still majorly disgruntled about the bookmark mess.
    >>>
    >>>-P.

    >>Many thanks for the heads-up. I had enough problems with 4.01 without
    >>having to deal with another Firefox mess. I'll wait until there's
    >>stable version.

    >I didn't have any problem with FF4 apart from the "New Tab" button disappearing.

    And the Google search issue. That alone is a major issue for me.

    Donchano, Jun 24, 2011
  7. On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:26:02 +1200, Msgr Scooter
    <.123> wrote:

    >On , , Fri, 24 Jun 2011 16:42:14 +1200, mozilla firefox 5, Peter Huebner
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>Does anybody else have problems with this version?

    >Nope, none at all.

    Nope, none at all!

    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Jun 24, 2011
  8. Peter Huebner

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 16:42:14 +1200, in message <>
    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Very annoying all over. I remember when I tried to upgrade from 3.6 to 4.01 it
    > just crashed, so I never did that step. Now this mess... Looks like Mozilla are
    > doing their very worst to alienate users (or at least this one) -- Firefox has
    > been my browser of choice for many many years >:-(

    I have had no problems at all like this with Firefox 4.

    I have yet to upgrade to 5. Based on past history, I am not expecting
    problems.

    FYI you can see crash stats for various versions of Firefox
    at <https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/products/Firefox>.

    Some standard things to try for problems like this:

    1) Does the problem exist in Firefox's safe mode?

    Don't start Firefox and then look for safe mode.
    Start Firefox in safe mode directly from a command line.
    firefox.exe -safe-mode

    2) Does the problem exist in a new profile?

    Don't start Firefox and then look for the profile manager.
    Start the Firefox profile manager directly from a command line,
    and then create a new profile.
    firefox.exe --ProfileManager

    3) Standard diagnostics for Firefox
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Jun 24, 2011
  9. In article <>, d
    says...

    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 16:42:14 +1200, in message <>
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    >

    > > Very annoying all over. I remember when I tried to upgrade from 3.6 to 4.01 it
    > > just crashed, so I never did that step. Now this mess... Looks like Mozilla are
    > > doing their very worst to alienate users (or at least this one) -- Firefox has
    > > been my browser of choice for many many years >:-(

    > I have had no problems at all like this with Firefox 4.
    >
    > I have yet to upgrade to 5. Based on past history, I am not expecting
    > problems.
    >
    > FYI you can see crash stats for various versions of Firefox
    > at <https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/products/Firefox>.
    >

    > Some standard things to try for problems like this:
    >
    > 1) Does the problem exist in Firefox's safe mode?
    >
    > Don't start Firefox and then look for safe mode.
    > Start Firefox in safe mode directly from a command line.
    > firefox.exe -safe-mode
    >
    > 2) Does the problem exist in a new profile?
    >
    > Don't start Firefox and then look for the profile manager.
    > Start the Firefox profile manager directly from a command line,
    > and then create a new profile.
    > firefox.exe --ProfileManager
    >
    > 3) Standard diagnostics for Firefox
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox

    Thanks - I've followed your suggestions, things have become a bit clearer but
    no solution in sight.

    Safe mode doesn't make a difference.

    New profile does not help.

    Renaming my hosts file does not make a difference (so it's not the tarpit)

    Disabling java console and java faststart -- same old, same old.

    Turning java script off in tools-> options: everything works hunky dory.

    Clearly it's got to do with java script, it even locks up when I try the
    mozilla support pages with js enabled.

    Any suggestions? I've just installed the latest version of Java from Sun.
    As I said, mozilla 3.6 worked find, although it always started to throw up some
    java related error message on startup after the Java upgrade, but it did not
    hang.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 24, 2011
  10. Peter Huebner

    John Guest

    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe Mode

    John, Jun 24, 2011
  11. Peter Huebner

    Enkidu Guest

    On 25/06/11 03:18, Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article<>,
    > d says...
    >>
    >> On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 16:42:14 +1200, in
    >> message<> Peter
    >> Huebner wrote:
    >>

    >>> Very annoying all over. I remember when I tried to upgrade from
    >>> 3.6 to 4.01 it just crashed, so I never did that step. Now this
    >>> mess... Looks like Mozilla are doing their very worst to alienate
    >>> users (or at least this one) -- Firefox has been my browser of
    >>> choice for many many years>:-(

    >> I have had no problems at all like this with Firefox 4.
    >>
    >> I have yet to upgrade to 5. Based on past history, I am not
    >> expecting problems.
    >>
    >> FYI you can see crash stats for various versions of Firefox
    >> at<https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/products/Firefox>.
    >>

    >> Some standard things to try for problems like this:
    >>
    >> 1) Does the problem exist in Firefox's safe mode?
    >>
    >> Don't start Firefox and then look for safe mode. Start Firefox in
    >> safe mode directly from a command line. firefox.exe -safe-mode
    >>
    >> 2) Does the problem exist in a new profile?
    >>
    >> Don't start Firefox and then look for the profile manager. Start
    >> the Firefox profile manager directly from a command line, and then
    >> create a new profile. firefox.exe --ProfileManager
    >>
    >> 3) Standard diagnostics for Firefox
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox

    > Thanks - I've followed your suggestions, things have become a bit
    > clearer but no solution in sight.
    >
    > Safe mode doesn't make a difference.
    >
    > New profile does not help.
    >
    > Renaming my hosts file does not make a difference (so it's not the
    > tarpit)
    >
    > Disabling java console and java faststart -- same old, same old.
    >
    > Turning java script off in tools-> options: everything works hunky
    > dory.
    >
    > Clearly it's got to do with java script, it even locks up when I try
    > the mozilla support pages with js enabled.
    >
    > Any suggestions? I've just installed the latest version of Java from
    > Sun. As I said, mozilla 3.6 worked find, although it always started
    > to throw up some java related error message on startup after the Java
    > upgrade, but it did not hang.

    Java has nothing to do with Javascript.

    http://www.dannyg.com/ref/javavsjavascript.html

    What Sun says about it:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_javascript.xml

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Jun 25, 2011
  12. On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 16:42:14 +1200, Peter Huebner <>
    wrote:

    >Does anybody else have problems with this version? First it lost my bookmarks
    >completely, would not import backups, would not import html file ... in the end
    >I had to manually copy the html file over.
    >
    >Then, it locks up completely at random intervals. Possibly when sites are
    >trying to load ads that I've tar-pitted via the hosts file, I don't know.
    >
    >Very annoying all over. I remember when I tried to upgrade from 3.6 to 4.01 it
    >just crashed, so I never did that step. Now this mess... Looks like Mozilla are
    >doing their very worst to alienate users (or at least this one) -- Firefox has
    >been my browser of choice for many many years >:-(
    >
    >-P.

    Opera far better

    Frank Williams, Jun 25, 2011
  13. In article <4e052a6b$>, says...
    > Java has nothing to do with Javascript.
    >
    > http://www.dannyg.com/ref/javavsjavascript.html
    >
    > What Sun says about it:
    > http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_javascript.xml
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Thanks for the clarification.

    Right .. I was fully aware of the difference betwen a java applet and a script,
    but I did not realize that they had different origins ... I simply assumed that
    javascript might in fact access java runtime libraries and had been developed
    by the same people.

    This does clearly not appear to be the case. So I can stop trying to tinker
    with java, and its runtime libraries.

    Which beggars the question: how the heck do I fix the problem that has arisen
    with javascript. Repeated uninstalls and reinstalls have proven futile so far.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 25, 2011
  14. Peter Huebner

    Enkidu Guest

    On 25/06/11 14:17, Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article<4e052a6b$>,
    > says...
    >> Java has nothing to do with Javascript.
    >>
    >> http://www.dannyg.com/ref/javavsjavascript.html
    >>
    >> What Sun says about it:
    >> http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_javascript.xml

    > Thanks for the clarification.
    >
    > Right .. I was fully aware of the difference betwen a java applet and
    > a script, but I did not realize that they had different origins ... I
    > simply assumed that javascript might in fact access java runtime
    > libraries and had been developed by the same people.
    >
    > This does clearly not appear to be the case. So I can stop trying to
    > tinker with java, and its runtime libraries.

    Yeah that's what I thought, though it is always best to have the latest
    Java for the Java applets and so on on the Internet.

    > Which beggars the question: how the heck do I fix the problem that
    > has arisen with javascript. Repeated uninstalls and reinstalls have
    > proven futile so far.

    Sorry, can't help there.

    Enkidu, Jun 25, 2011
  15. Peter Huebner

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 6/24/2011 4:42 PM, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Does anybody else have problems with this version? First it lost my bookmarks
    > completely, would not import backups, would not import html file ... in the end
    > I had to manually copy the html file over.
    >
    > Then, it locks up completely at random intervals. Possibly when sites are
    > trying to load ads that I've tar-pitted via the hosts file, I don't know.
    >
    > Very annoying all over. I remember when I tried to upgrade from 3.6 to 4.01 it
    > just crashed, so I never did that step. Now this mess... Looks like Mozilla are
    > doing their very worst to alienate users (or at least this one) -- Firefox has
    > been my browser of choice for many many years>:-(
    >
    > -P.

    Rate at which Mozilla upgrades arrive is astounding. What explains this?

    Gib Bogle, Jun 25, 2011
  16. Peter Huebner

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-06-24, Donchano <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:11:40 +1200, Peter Huebner
    ><> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >

    >>I think I can say with some degree of certainty that the freezing of firefox 5
    >>is related to javascripts trying to load sites I've redirected to localhost.
    >>
    >>Having to turn js off is awkward, other browsers do not seem to have this
    >>problem with javascript. But it runs lightening fast without js, never mind the
    >>
    >>Still majorly disgruntled about the bookmark mess.
    >>
    >>-P.

    > Many thanks for the heads-up. I had enough problems with 4.01 without
    > having to deal with another Firefox mess. I'll wait until there's
    > stable version.

    Well, you maybe waiting some time. The Browsers wars are on again. So we
    have gone from lets get ahead/we need to get ahead, to the others are
    releasing versions, as fast as aftershocks in Christchurch, so we need/have
    to keep up.

    Forget the point something version, make it the next whole number.

    Mind you, war has always improved technology.

    Gordon, Jun 25, 2011
  17. Peter Huebner

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-06-25, Enkidu <> wrote:

    > Java has nothing to do with Javascript.

    Well the first four letters are the same. That is all.

    Never confuse the two gentle reader.

    Gordon, Jun 25, 2011
  18. Peter Huebner

    Msgr Scooter Guest

    On , , Sat, 25 Jun 2011 15:41:42 +1200, Re: mozilla firefox 5, Gib Bogle
    <> wrote:

    >On 6/24/2011 4:42 PM, Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>

    >> Does anybody else have problems with this version? First it lost my bookmarks
    >> completely, would not import backups, would not import html file ... in the end
    >> I had to manually copy the html file over.
    >>
    >> Then, it locks up completely at random intervals. Possibly when sites are
    >> trying to load ads that I've tar-pitted via the hosts file, I don't know.
    >>
    >> Very annoying all over. I remember when I tried to upgrade from 3.6 to 4.01 it
    >> just crashed, so I never did that step. Now this mess... Looks like Mozilla are
    >> doing their very worst to alienate users (or at least this one) -- Firefox has
    >> been my browser of choice for many many years>:-(
    >>
    >> -P.

    >Rate at which Mozilla upgrades arrive is astounding. What explains this?

    That there is work continuing on it all the time.

    Msgr Scooter, Jun 25, 2011
  19. Peter Huebner

    Squiggle Guest

    On 25/06/2011 2:17 p.m., Peter Huebner threw some characters down the
    intarwebs:
    > In article <4e052a6b$>, says...
    >> Java has nothing to do with Javascript.
    >>
    >> http://www.dannyg.com/ref/javavsjavascript.html
    >>
    >> What Sun says about it:
    >> http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_javascript.xml
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff
    >>

    > Thanks for the clarification.
    >
    > Right .. I was fully aware of the difference betwen a java applet and a script,
    > but I did not realize that they had different origins ... I simply assumed that
    > javascript might in fact access java runtime libraries and had been developed
    > by the same people.
    >
    > This does clearly not appear to be the case. So I can stop trying to tinker
    > with java, and its runtime libraries.
    >
    > Which beggars the question: how the heck do I fix the problem that has arisen
    > with javascript. Repeated uninstalls and reinstalls have proven futile so far.
    >
    > -P.

    Have just encountered the lockup problem after install 5.01 yesterday..
    My solution at this stage is to try Safari again.

    --
    The nz.general stupidest statement of 2011 competition leading candidate:
    The USA is no more democratic than is the Peoples Democratic Republic of

    Squiggle, Jun 25, 2011
  20. On 25/06/2011 10:28 p.m., Msgr Scooter wrote:
    > On , , Sat, 25 Jun 2011 15:41:42 +1200, Re: mozilla firefox 5, Gib Bogle
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 6/24/2011 4:42 PM, Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>>

    >>> Does anybody else have problems with this version? First it lost my bookmarks
    >>> completely, would not import backups, would not import html file ... in the end
    >>> I had to manually copy the html file over.
    >>>
    >>> Then, it locks up completely at random intervals. Possibly when sites are
    >>> trying to load ads that I've tar-pitted via the hosts file, I don't know.
    >>>
    >>> Very annoying all over. I remember when I tried to upgrade from 3.6 to 4.01 it
    >>> just crashed, so I never did that step. Now this mess... Looks like Mozilla are
    >>> doing their very worst to alienate users (or at least this one) -- Firefox has
    >>> been my browser of choice for many many years>:-(
    >>>
    >>> -P.

    >> Rate at which Mozilla upgrades arrive is astounding. What explains this?

    > That there is work continuing on it all the time.

    I've followed this thread with interest - decided to go with someone's
    suggestion and wait for a stable version of Firefox 5.
    Now I have a problem. FF has already downloaded the latest version to my
    laptop (Win 7 64 bit) - and every time I launch it, it requests
    permission to upgrade, which I deny. FF 4 then launches as usual.
    I've altered the FF settings to "Don't automatically upgrade" - but
    clearly the presence of the downloaded FF5 fools it into over-riding
    this & trying to install the upgrade.
    Is there any way I can tell it to forget about it? Or do I just have to
    keep saying "No, don't let Mozilla alter anything on my computer"

    Ummmmmmm......., Jun 26, 2011