    Peter

    Teach others what you know about Windows Programs in Seconds with
    http://www.etchpad.com/

    Peter, May 29, 2004

  2. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I meant FireFox

    Peter, May 30, 2004

  3. Peter

    bambam Guest

    bambam, May 30, 2004
  4. Peter

    a Guest

    In article <40b91506$>, says...
    > I meant FireFox

    Nope. Mozilla is the bloated version. Firefox is the lean browser.

    a, May 30, 2004
  5. Peter

    steve Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Are Mozilla and Firebird one and the same?

    Mozilla 1.6 - current "production" code base.

    Mozilla Firebird 0.8 - next generation code-base for Mozilla "production".

    steve, May 30, 2004
  6. Peter

    zog Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > I meant FireFox

    Mozilla and Firebird (now Firefox) are essentially the same browser. The
    difference is that Firefox does not have the add-ons such as a mail client.
    I am using Firefox now and am very happy with it.

    zog, May 30, 2004
  7. In article <>, says...
    > Are Mozilla and Firebird one and the same?

    FireFOX is a lightweight browser client based on the Mozilla codebase.
    The project was launched because Mozilla itself was perceived to be too
    bloated and slow.

    Patrick Dunford, May 30, 2004
  8. In article <40b95678$>, steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz
    says...
    > Peter wrote:
    > > Are Mozilla and Firebird one and the same?

    > Mozilla 1.6 - current "production" code base.

    1.7 has just released in RC2

    Patrick Dunford, May 30, 2004
  9. Peter

    steve Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <40b95678$>, steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz
    > says...
    >
    >>Peter wrote:
    >>
    >>>Are Mozilla and Firebird one and the same?

    >>Mozilla 1.6 - current "production" code base.

    > 1.7 has just released in RC2

    Ta.

    I don't include RC's as "production"....but fingers-crossed, V1.7 proper
    will be out soon.

    steve, May 30, 2004
  10. Peter

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 10:58:42 +1200, Peter wrote:

    > Are Mozilla and Firebird one and the same?

    Nope, Firebird is a database pgm. ;-)

    Gordon, May 30, 2004
  11. Peter

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 17:59:52 +1200, "zog" <> wrote:

    >"Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> I meant FireFox

    > Mozilla and Firebird (now Firefox) are essentially the same
    > browser. The difference is that Firefox does not have the
    > add-ons such as a mail client. I am using Firefox now and
    > am very happy with it.

    They can't be the same. Mozilla crashes and Firefox doesn't, at least
    so far. I've been using Firefox on and off for a few months now, and
    it has never crashed on me. Mozilla (and Netscape) has always crashed
    on me, but less so recently. I have 1.3.1, which is about the most
    stable Mozilla. Crashes about once a week. I installed a later one,
    1.4 something, but it crashed more frequently, so I went back to
    1.3.1. I might try it again sometime. It's probably moved on.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 30, 2004
  12. Peter

    Divine Guest

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 22:26:30 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > I have 1.3.1, which is about the most stable Mozilla.
    > Crashes about once a week. I installed a later one, 1.4 something, but it
    > crashed more frequently, so I went back to 1.3.1. I might try it again
    > sometime. It's probably moved on.

    Mozilla 1.8a has recently been released.

    Divine

    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
    but this old Queen wants a drink."

    Divine, May 30, 2004
  13. Peter

    AD. Guest

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 10:58:42 +1200, Peter wrote:

    > Are Mozilla and Firebird one and the same?

    Same rendering engine (Gecko), different GUI - although both GUIs are
    still made with XUL.

    Firefox doesn't bundle other apps as a suite (like Mozilla), although it
    does have a counterpart email/news client called Thunderbird.

    It was supposed to be a lighter simpler faster version of Mozilla browser,
    but it seems to be getting bigger while Mozilla gets faster, so those
    distinctions are getting a little blurry.

    Firefox does have a cool trick of being able to run without needing to be
    installed to the hard disk or registry. This allows things like carrying
    it around with you on a USB memory stick and using it on different
    computers. This is handy for support staff who can load it up with all
    kinds of diagnostic extensions etc.

    Originally it was intended to take over from the Mozilla suite in the
    Mozilla 1.5 timeframe, but that doesn't look like happening anymore.
    Apparently a lot of the Mozilla developers still prefer the Mozilla suite,
    and Firefox hasn't picked up the momentum it hoped for.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., May 30, 2004
  14. AD. wrote:
    > Originally it was intended to take over from the Mozilla suite in the
    > Mozilla 1.5 timeframe, but that doesn't look like happening anymore.
    > Apparently a lot of the Mozilla developers still prefer the Mozilla suite,
    > and Firefox hasn't picked up the momentum it hoped for.

    Funnily enough, I've moved from using Firefox and Thunderbird to using
    the Mozilla Suite... I find it handy that they're so intertwined with
    each other.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 30, 2004
  15. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 30 May 2004 17:59:52 +1200, "zog" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Peter" <> wrote in message
    > >> I meant FireFox

    > > Mozilla and Firebird (now Firefox) are essentially the same
    > > browser. The difference is that Firefox does not have the
    > > add-ons such as a mail client. I am using Firefox now and
    > > am very happy with it.
    > >

    > They can't be the same. Mozilla crashes and Firefox doesn't, at least
    > so far. I've been using Firefox on and off for a few months now, and
    > it has never crashed on me. Mozilla (and Netscape) has always crashed
    > on me, but less so recently. I have 1.3.1, which is about the most
    > stable Mozilla. Crashes about once a week. I installed a later one,
    > 1.4 something, but it crashed more frequently, so I went back to
    > 1.3.1. I might try it again sometime. It's probably moved on.

    1.6 stable, though I have seen it lock up several times with lots of tabs
    open.

    Patrick Dunford, May 31, 2004
  16. In article <pan.2004.05.30.11.26.47.789658@TRACKER>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 30 May 2004 22:26:30 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    > > I have 1.3.1, which is about the most stable Mozilla.
    > > Crashes about once a week. I installed a later one, 1.4 something, but it
    > > crashed more frequently, so I went back to 1.3.1. I might try it again
    > > sometime. It's probably moved on.

    > Mozilla 1.8a has recently been released.

    The current release version is 1.7RC2, anything later is a test build.

    Patrick Dunford, May 31, 2004
  17. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 30 May 2004 10:58:42 +1200, Peter wrote:
    >
    > > Are Mozilla and Firebird one and the same?

    > Same rendering engine (Gecko), different GUI - although both GUIs are
    > still made with XUL.
    >
    > Firefox doesn't bundle other apps as a suite (like Mozilla), although it
    > does have a counterpart email/news client called Thunderbird.

    I installed Mozilla taking the option of installing only the browser
    (although Composer comes with that) so this distinction is a little thin.

    Thunderbird is miles ahead of Outlook Express - the designers came up
    with some neat functionality and it runs very well with an IMAP account I
    have as well as standard POP accounts.

    > Firefox does have a cool trick of being able to run without needing to be
    > installed to the hard disk or registry. This allows things like carrying
    > it around with you on a USB memory stick and using it on different
    > computers. This is handy for support staff who can load it up with all
    > kinds of diagnostic extensions etc.
    >
    > Originally it was intended to take over from the Mozilla suite in the
    > Mozilla 1.5 timeframe, but that doesn't look like happening anymore.
    > Apparently a lot of the Mozilla developers still prefer the Mozilla suite,
    > and Firefox hasn't picked up the momentum it hoped for.

    I installed FF to the old Pentium 100, it is a little faster than Moz but
    IE4 still beats them both hands down for performance.

    Patrick Dunford, May 31, 2004
  18. Peter

    Divine Guest

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 16:24:20 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    >> Mozilla 1.8a has recently been released.

    > The current release version is 1.7RC2, anything later is a test build.

    Actually, Mozilla.org has produced an official release entitled Mozilla
    1.8a.

    Divine

    Divine, May 31, 2004