    And where have FireBird cache folder?

    Tnx!

    Greets

    Damjan, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Damjan wrote:

    > Hello!

    Hi!

    > I'm wondering how secure is FireBird if i have enabled Java and JavaScript
    > and i'm surfing in WinXP OS?
    > IE sometimes in case, that are JavaScript and ActiveX enabled, run/instal
    > some applications/spyware.

    IE doesn't use JavaScript - in IE it's JScript, a special Microsoft
    variant. So you can't really compare it to JavaScript which once was
    developed by Netscape. JavaSript is more secure than JScript.

    And don't forget about VBScript, which is put together with JScript in
    so called "Active Scripting". VBScript + JScript means on the one hand
    many really existing and on the other hand many potential security holes.

    Active X should be disabled in IE, too - that's right. Using ActiveX,
    there can be installed any imaginable unwanted application.

    > How is wiht that in FireBird?

    Mozilla Firebird uses JScript and doesn't use any Active X.
    Furthermore you can and should disable unrequested popup windows:

    ->Tools ->Options ->Web Features ->Block Popup Windows

    Also have a look at:

    ->Tools ->Options ->Web Features ->Enable JavaScript ->Advanced

    http://texturizer.net/firebird/tips.html#oth_cache
    http://www.vorstrasse91.com/moztips/mozillaprofiles.html

    --
    Regards, Torti

    Torti Schlumpf, Sep 29, 2003

  3. Damjan

    Damjan Guest

    > IE doesn't use JavaScript - in IE it's JScript, a special Microsoft
    > variant. So you can't really compare it to JavaScript which once was
    > developed by Netscape. JavaSript is more secure than JScript.
    >
    > And don't forget about VBScript, which is put together with JScript in
    > so called "Active Scripting". VBScript + JScript means on the one hand
    > many really existing and on the other hand many potential security holes.
    >
    > Active X should be disabled in IE, too - that's right. Using ActiveX,
    > there can be installed any imaginable unwanted application.
    >
    > > How is wiht that in FireBird?

    > Mozilla Firebird uses JScript and doesn't use any Active X.
    > Furthermore you can and should disable unrequested popup windows:
    >
    > ->Tools ->Options ->Web Features ->Block Popup Windows
    >
    > Also have a look at:
    >
    > ->Tools ->Options ->Web Features ->Enable JavaScript ->Advanced
    >

    > > And where have FireBird cache folder?

    > http://texturizer.net/firebird/tips.html#oth_cache
    > http://www.vorstrasse91.com/moztips/mozillaprofiles.html

    Does FireBird use JScript or JavaScript or both?
    And for background installations of some kind sypware and another crap is
    guilty ActivX only then?

    Tnx!
    Greets

    Damjan, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Damjan wrote:

    > Does FireBird use JScript or JavaScript or both?

    Oh sorry, it was *my* fault! Of course Firebird uses JavaScript, and
    *not* JScript.

    To make it clear:

    Internet Explorer:
    - JScript + VBScript = Active Scripting
    - ActiveX

    Firebird:
    - JavaScript

    > And for background installations of some kind sypware and another crap is
    > guilty ActivX only then?

    Not at all: Active Scripting allows e.g. to change the browser's home
    page / search page and other nasty things.

    The main reason why there's installed so much unwanted stuff using
    Internet Explorer is: IE is deeply linked to operating system. So try to
    use another browser like Firebird or Opera, if you're interested to
    protect against such stuff.

    --
    Regards, Torti

    Torti Schlumpf, Sep 29, 2003
  5. Torti Schlumpf wrote:

    > Mozilla Firebird uses JScript and doesn't use any Active X.

    Correction:
    Mozilla Firebird uses JavaScript and doesn't use any Active X.

    --
    Regards, Torti

    Torti Schlumpf, Sep 29, 2003
  6. Damjan

    Damjan Guest

    > Oh sorry, it was *my* fault! Of course Firebird uses JavaScript, and
    > *not* JScript.

    No problem man! Tnx for help and explanation!

    Greets

    Damjan, Sep 29, 2003
  7. <snip...>

    > Active X should be disabled in IE, too - that's right. Using ActiveX,
    > there can be installed any imaginable unwanted application.
    >
    >> How is wiht that in FireBird?

    > Mozilla Firebird uses JScript and doesn't use any Active X.
    > Furthermore you can and should disable unrequested popup windows:
    >
    > ->Tools ->Options ->Web Features ->Block Popup Windows
    >
    > Also have a look at:
    >
    > ->Tools ->Options ->Web Features ->Enable JavaScript ->Advanced

    <snip>

    > Internet Explorer:
    > - JScript + VBScript = Active Scripting
    > - ActiveX
    >
    > Firebird:
    > - JavaScript
    >
    >> And for background installations of some kind sypware and another crap is
    >> guilty ActivX only then?

    > Not at all: Active Scripting allows e.g. to change the browser's home
    > page / search page and other nasty things.
    >
    > The main reason why there's installed so much unwanted stuff using
    > Internet Explorer is: IE is deeply linked to operating system. So try to
    > use another browser like Firebird or Opera, if you're interested to
    > protect against such stuff.

    Can we add this stuff to the FAQ? I think it is a very valuable comment.

    Aaron

    Neowulf (Aaron VonDerheide), Oct 6, 2003