Mozilla files in Netscape

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Gianni, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Gianni

    Gianni Guest

    I have the following problem.

    When I do a Norton virus scan,
    it takes about 12 hours. About
    10 of those hours are spent in
    the directory,

    C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\...\Mail

    There there are file combinations, for example,
    Inbox
    Inbox.msf
    sent
    sent.msf

    etc.

    I didn't have a problem until I installed
    Navigator 7.1.

    Does anyone have an idea what is happening?

    I tried asking in a Norton NG, but I have received
    no response.

    Gianni, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Le 05/02/2004 21:03, Gianni a écrit :

    > I have the following problem.
    >
    > When I do a Norton virus scan,
    > it takes about 12 hours. About
    > 10 of those hours are spent in
    > the directory,
    >
    > C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\...\Mail
    >
    > There there are file combinations, for example,
    > Inbox
    > Inbox.msf
    > sent
    > sent.msf
    >
    > etc.
    >
    > I didn't have a problem until I installed
    > Navigator 7.1.
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea what is happening?
    >
    > I tried asking in a Norton NG, but I have received
    > no response.

    Yes, norton is crap :)

    pascal

    --
    Pascal Chevrel - Mozilla Champion
    FAQ Mozilla/Netscape 7 en français : http://pascal.chevrel.free.fr/

    Pascal Chevrel, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Gianni

    Gianni Guest

    Pascal Chevrel wrote:

    > Le 05/02/2004 21:03, Gianni a écrit :
    >
    >> I have the following problem.
    >>
    >> When I do a Norton virus scan,
    >> it takes about 12 hours. About
    >> 10 of those hours are spent in
    >> the directory,
    >>
    >> C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\...\Mail
    >>
    >> There there are file combinations, for example,
    >> Inbox
    >> Inbox.msf
    >> sent
    >> sent.msf
    >>
    >> etc.
    >>
    >> I didn't have a problem until I installed
    >> Navigator 7.1.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an idea what is happening?
    >>
    >> I tried asking in a Norton NG, but I have received
    >> no response.
    >>

    > Yes, norton is crap :)
    >
    > pascal

    My experience with McAfee is worse.
    So where do I go?

    Thanks for responding.

    Gianni, Feb 5, 2004
  4. Gianni

    dantu Guest

    Gianni wrote:

    > Pascal Chevrel wrote:
    >
    >> Le 05/02/2004 21:03, Gianni a écrit :
    >>
    >>> I have the following problem.
    >>>
    >>> When I do a Norton virus scan,
    >>> it takes about 12 hours. About
    >>> 10 of those hours are spent in
    >>> the directory,
    >>>
    >>> C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\...\Mail
    >>>
    >>> There there are file combinations, for example,
    >>> Inbox
    >>> Inbox.msf
    >>> sent
    >>> sent.msf
    >>>
    >>> etc.
    >>>
    >>> I didn't have a problem until I installed
    >>> Navigator 7.1.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have an idea what is happening?
    >>>
    >>> I tried asking in a Norton NG, but I have received
    >>> no response.
    >>>

    >> Yes, norton is crap :)
    >>
    >> pascal
    >>

    > My experience with McAfee is worse.
    > So where do I go?
    >
    > Thanks for responding.

    It spends so much time in those directories because thats where you mail
    is, and it is checking all your mail again.
    So to reduce the amount of time, reduce the amount of mail. Have you
    emptied the trash recently? Compressed the folders? That ensures that
    deleted mail is really deleted.

    You could exempt those folders from future checks as well, if you wanted
    to. Or even do away with the checks altoghether.

    A virus gets into your computer by the following means.
    You open an attachment in email (or news) that contains an active virus
    You open a file you downloaded from the net that contains an active virus
    You open a floppy/CD/ or other portable memory device from someone
    Or you have an open port and someone has surreptestiously planted one

    So, if you dont open attachments, dont open downloaded files and use a
    firewall, you are almost 100% safe.

    If you must open an attachment
    Check to see that the person intended to see it, ask whats in it
    Quarantine it for a week
    Update your AV program
    Check the message, then open the attachment

    If you must download files
    Use 'trusted' download sites
    Quarantine the file for a week
    Update your AV program
    Check the file, then open it

    If you must share portable memory storage
    Ask the person if everything on the device was intended, ask
    whats on it
    Quarantine it for a week
    Update your AV program
    Check the device, then open it

    If you must open your firewall (specific programs require specific
    ports) then ensure you only open those ports as required.

    If you follow the above steps, you will be as safe as you can possibly
    be. As you note, you wont even have to do periodic scans of your hard
    drive (tho you can if you wish of course). You dont even have to have
    your AV program running to protect yourself, just trot it out when required.

    dantu, Feb 6, 2004
  5. Gianni

    Gianni Guest

    dantu wrote:

    > Gianni wrote:
    >
    >> Pascal Chevrel wrote:

    >>> Yes, norton is crap :)
    >>>
    >>> pascal
    >>>

    >> My experience with McAfee is worse.
    >> So where do I go?
    >>
    >> Thanks for responding.
    >>

    > It spends so much time in those directories because thats where you
    > mail is, and it is checking all your mail again.
    > So to reduce the amount of time, reduce the amount of mail. Have you
    > emptied the trash recently? Compressed the folders? That ensures that
    > deleted mail is really deleted.
    >
    > You could exempt those folders from future checks as well, if you
    > wanted to. Or even do away with the checks altoghether.
    >
    > A virus gets into your computer by the following means.
    > You open an attachment in email (or news) that contains an active virus
    > You open a file you downloaded from the net that contains an active virus
    > You open a floppy/CD/ or other portable memory device from someone
    > Or you have an open port and someone has surreptestiously planted one
    >
    > So, if you dont open attachments, dont open downloaded files and use a
    > firewall, you are almost 100% safe.
    >
    > If you must open an attachment
    > Check to see that the person intended to see it, ask whats in it
    > Quarantine it for a week
    > Update your AV program
    > Check the message, then open the attachment
    >
    > If you must download files
    > Use 'trusted' download sites
    > Quarantine the file for a week
    > Update your AV program
    > Check the file, then open it
    >
    > If you must share portable memory storage
    > Ask the person if everything on the device was intended,
    > ask whats on it
    > Quarantine it for a week
    > Update your AV program
    > Check the device, then open it
    >
    > If you must open your firewall (specific programs require specific
    > ports) then ensure you only open those ports as required.
    >

    > If you follow the above steps, you will be as safe as you can possibly
    > be. As you note, you wont even have to do periodic scans of your hard
    > drive (tho you can if you wish of course). You dont even have to have
    > your AV program running to protect yourself, just trot it out when
    > required.

    I appreciate the detailed reply. You've answered
    many questions that I have had.

    I don't open attachments unless they are from
    one person who I can trust and has had some
    experience with computers. Everything else
    is deleted.

    If I don't know the source, I immediately delete
    the message unopened.

    I empty the trash bin after deleteing the messages.
    You imply that even that doesn't guarantee that
    the message is deleted?

    Norton has caught quite a few viruses, but I scan
    anyway because one might have gotten through
    because of some lag time.

    I don't have a firewall. I was thinking of getting
    Norton's, but I am not sure now.

    Thanks for responding.

    Gianni, Feb 6, 2004