Mozilla DNS check on startup

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Ed Hurst, Nov 4, 2004.

  1. Ed Hurst

    Ed Hurst Guest

    I've subscribed to this NG because all my googling has brought nothing I
    can use, so far.

    On every application using the Gecko engine, upon startup, there is a
    bit of a hang while the attempting to resolve my localhost machine
    name. Now, I'm on dialup, and not permitted to use a real FQDN, so mine
    is bogus. The application hangs while it tries 8 or 10 different ways,
    until each one times out, then finally opens a window. When I ran an
    internal DNS cache, this took 90 seconds or longer. Why it passes over
    my /etc/hosts file (which properly lists my fake FQDN with 127.0.0.1
    and aliases as localhost) I can't imagine.

    Is there a switch to turn off this behavior?

    --
    Ed Hurst
    ----------

    Ed Hurst, Nov 4, 2004

  2. Ed Hurst

    derek / nul Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 12:04:56 -0600, Ed Hurst <> wrote:

    >On every application using the Gecko engine, upon startup, there is a
    >bit of a hang while the attempting to resolve my localhost machine
    >name. Now, I'm on dialup, and not permitted to use a real FQDN, so mine
    >is bogus. The application hangs while it tries 8 or 10 different ways,
    >until each one times out, then finally opens a window. When I ran an
    >internal DNS cache, this took 90 seconds or longer. Why it passes over
    >my /etc/hosts file (which properly lists my fake FQDN with 127.0.0.1
    >and aliases as localhost) I can't imagine.
    >
    >Is there a switch to turn off this behavior?

    Stop using a fake FQDN, the machine (not mozilla) is trying to look up your fake
    name on DNS and has to time out before coming back to you.

    You need to sort out how to get your OS to search properly, its not a mozilla
    problem.

    derek / nul, Nov 4, 2004