    to the story. http://tinyurl.com/4zbph

    Is it easy to switch to FireFox and Thunderbird? Will Calendar work?
    What about the various plugins and extensions?

    William W. Plummer, Mar 11, 2005

  2. I just wanted to say that I really don't like this. I started with
    Mozilla, and have tried FireFox quite a few times. Every time I do, I
    feel as if someone has put a straightjacket on me. So many of the
    features and preferences are removed that I feel I no longer have
    control of the browser. A thousand little add-ons have to be downloaded
    and installed just to get some of that control back. Is there possibly
    some middle-ground that can be achieved?

    Some friends and I always joke about the need for a checkbox in Windows
    that enables/disables bloatware. Since they're dumbing-down the Mozilla
    organization's offerings so much, why not give their users that option
    to have control in a much more user-friendly way? Isn't that what
    FireFox is all about: user friendliness? Does the browser have to be
    restricted to lowest-common-denomenator features to still appeal to the
    masses? An "allow me to control my browser" checkbox wouldn't force Mom
    and Grandma to click it, but it would allow reasonably knowledgeable
    users freedom.

    I guess I should get to programming instead of complaining up a storm?

    Steven M. Payeur, Mar 11, 2005

  3. William W. Plummer

    Tian Harter Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:
    > Maybe I'm late with the news, but Kim Komando's newsletter had a pointer
    > to the story. http://tinyurl.com/4zbph
    >
    > Is it easy to switch to FireFox and Thunderbird? Will Calendar work?
    > What about the various plugins and extensions?

    I'm probably going to be using Mozilla for website development for a
    while. It works and I'm used to it. What more could I ask?

    --
    Tian
    http://tian.greens.org

    Tian Harter, Mar 11, 2005
  4. William W. Plummer

    Justin Guest

    Steven M. Payeur wrote on [Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:58:18 -0800]:
    > I just wanted to say that I really don't like this.

    I must agree.

    > I started with
    > Mozilla, and have tried FireFox quite a few times. Every time I do, I
    > feel as if someone has put a straightjacket on me.

    Yep

    > So many of the
    > features and preferences are removed that I feel I no longer have
    > control of the browser.

    Integration between email and browser so I can email a web page, having
    a check for updates to bookmarks option that seems to be removed from
    firefox, etc.

    Justin, Mar 11, 2005
  5. William W. Plummer

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Justin* wrote:

    > Steven M. Payeur wrote on [Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:58:18 -0800]:
    >> I just wanted to say that I really don't like this.

    > I must agree.
    >
    >> I started with
    >> Mozilla, and have tried FireFox quite a few times. Every time I do, I
    >> feel as if someone has put a straightjacket on me.

    > Yep
    >
    >> So many of the
    >> features and preferences are removed that I feel I no longer have
    >> control of the browser.

    > Integration between email and browser so I can email a web page, having
    > a check for updates to bookmarks option that seems to be removed from
    > firefox, etc.

    Don't need to have two app's running if I wont to get alerts when new
    mails arrives. As I have said in netscape.mozilla.user.general, I will
    not use any Mozilla Foundation software in the future if they don't
    develope the Suit any more. I'll wait some time for a new unofficial
    version (if sutch will come), else I will leave for something else. I
    may even start using IE/OE just for the fun of not supporting anything
    that smells Mozilla foundation!

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Mar 11, 2005
  6. William W. Plummer wrote:
    > Maybe I'm late with the news, but Kim Komando's newsletter had a pointer
    > to the story. http://tinyurl.com/4zbph
    >
    > Is it easy to switch to FireFox and Thunderbird? Will Calendar work?
    > What about the various plugins and extensions?

    Well, there is a project being developed to continue the suite. All
    might not be lost:

    http://wiki.mozilla.org/wiki/SeaMonkey:Home_Page

    I don't know where this is going to go, but I can see that continued
    development of the suite is better off in the hands of people who really
    believe in the concept, instead of being left hanging by people who
    clearly don't.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 11, 2005
  7. Tian Harter wrote:
    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe I'm late with the news, but Kim Komando's newsletter had a
    >> pointer to the story. http://tinyurl.com/4zbph
    >>
    >> Is it easy to switch to FireFox and Thunderbird? Will Calendar work?
    >> What about the various plugins and extensions?

    > I'm probably going to be using Mozilla for website development for a
    > while. It works and I'm used to it. What more could I ask?

    Bug fixes and new features.

    William W. Plummer, Mar 11, 2005
  8. William W. Plummer

    Guest

    Mozilla is the web programmer's browser, the techie's browser, the one
    who wants a deluge of info's browser, the one that wants their car to
    look like a 747's cockpits control's, not a yard tractor's controls. I
    love mozilla for that. It makes me feel close to the XPCOM, C++, and JS
    inside mozilla, not artsy fruity glazed over sugar coated, easily
    digested by the masses thiung that Firefox is. Firefox is annoyingly
    easy. I am using firefox 9.2 right now with a IE skin (thats how much I
    hate FF), I look in my options menu, there is nothing there, except in
    advanced where they ism a unintelligible mess of options which turn to
    greek for me very easily. In the Suite's options everything is nicly
    organized, and out there, not hidden. Love live the suite.

    , Mar 13, 2005
  9. wrote:
    > Mozilla is the web programmer's browser, the techie's browser, the one
    > who wants a deluge of info's browser, the one that wants their car to
    > look like a 747's cockpits control's, not a yard tractor's controls. I
    > love mozilla for that. It makes me feel close to the XPCOM, C++, and JS
    > inside mozilla, not artsy fruity glazed over sugar coated, easily
    > digested by the masses thiung that Firefox is. Firefox is annoyingly
    > easy. I am using firefox 9.2 right now with a IE skin (thats how much I
    > hate FF), I look in my options menu, there is nothing there, except in
    > advanced where they ism a unintelligible mess of options which turn to
    > greek for me very easily. In the Suite's options everything is nicly
    > organized, and out there, not hidden. Love live the suite.

    Try the Configuration Mania extension.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 13, 2005
  10. William W. Plummer

    Xanophile Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:
    > Maybe I'm late with the news, but Kim Komando's newsletter had a pointer
    > to the story. http://tinyurl.com/4zbph
    >
    > Is it easy to switch to FireFox and Thunderbird? Will Calendar work?
    > What about the various plugins and extensions?

    Personally, I can't believe Mozilla is give a big "**** you" to the
    people who built it. If it weren't for people like me, who have used
    the Mozilla suite since it began, FireFox wouldn't exist today.

    And I have no plans on using FireFox. I'll use IE before I use that
    pile of crap. It's the equivilent of MSN Explorer. Built for brain
    dead morons.

    All I have to say is **** you too, Mozilla.

    Xanophile, Mar 13, 2005
  11. Xanophile wrote:
    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe I'm late with the news, but Kim Komando's newsletter had a
    >> pointer to the story. http://tinyurl.com/4zbph
    >>
    >> Is it easy to switch to FireFox and Thunderbird? Will Calendar work?
    >> What about the various plugins and extensions?

    > Personally, I can't believe Mozilla is give a big "**** you" to the
    > people who built it. If it weren't for people like me, who have used
    > the Mozilla suite since it began, FireFox wouldn't exist today.
    >
    > And I have no plans on using FireFox. I'll use IE before I use that
    > pile of crap. It's the equivilent of MSN Explorer. Built for brain
    > dead morons.
    >
    > All I have to say is **** you too, Mozilla.

    That's harsh, not to mention rude.
    It comes down to beggars can't be choosers. If you built Mozilla, why
    don't you keep it going for us?

    William W. Plummer, Mar 13, 2005
  12. William W. Plummer

    Xanophile Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:
    > Xanophile wrote:
    >
    >> William W. Plummer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Maybe I'm late with the news, but Kim Komando's newsletter had a
    >>> pointer to the story. http://tinyurl.com/4zbph
    >>>
    >>> Is it easy to switch to FireFox and Thunderbird? Will Calendar
    >>> work? What about the various plugins and extensions?

    >> Personally, I can't believe Mozilla is give a big "**** you" to the
    >> people who built it. If it weren't for people like me, who have used
    >> the Mozilla suite since it began, FireFox wouldn't exist today.
    >>
    >> And I have no plans on using FireFox. I'll use IE before I use that
    >> pile of crap. It's the equivilent of MSN Explorer. Built for brain
    >> dead morons.
    >>
    >> All I have to say is **** you too, Mozilla.

    > That's harsh, not to mention rude.
    > It comes down to beggars can't be choosers. If you built Mozilla, why
    > don't you keep it going for us?

    How is that harsh OR rude? It wasn't harsh or rude to discontinue the
    suite like they did? Please. It's the truth. FF is cartoony, and
    barely works. Unless you don't know any better, in which case it works
    beautifully. FF has half the funtionality of the suite, is an immature
    product that should be branded a beta and has a tendency to degrade in
    performance to the point of being unuseable. This is what they want to
    keep over a mature product that actually works? If it wasn't for the
    suite, Firefox wouldn't exist. If it wasn't for the people who have
    been developing the suite since the beginning, FF wouldn't exist. If it
    wasn't for the number of people USING the suite there wouldn't have been
    enough popularity to even come up with the IDEA for FF. They're
    basically pulling their own life support plug. I don't expect the
    mozilla foundation to be around in a year without the suite.

    They pull ideas from it, slap it into firefox, brand it as something
    'new,' beg for your money, advertize the hell out of it, all the while
    hiding the program that really utilizes it. There isn't one new idea in
    ff that hasn't been in the suite for at least a year. FF is so behind
    the suite I feel like I'm back to using the .6 build of mozilla when I
    use it. The bugs I see in FF have been worked out in Moz for the
    longest time.

    Downloading both the browser, then the email, is a bigger download than
    the suite, uses more resources than the suite and has 1/4 the
    funtionality. What kind of person thinks that's better? Lord have
    mercy on stupid people. Extensions, extensions. Sure......go ahead and
    download them. I already have 90% of them built into my BLOATED suite.
    But extensions are better, right? Again......Lord, I beg that you
    have mercy on the people of goodgerland, for they know not.

    What a bunch of suckers.

    Xanophile, Mar 13, 2005
  13. William W. Plummer

    charles Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:29:44 -0500, "William W. Plummer"
    <> wrote:

    >Maybe I'm late with the news, but Kim Komando's newsletter had a pointer
    >to the story. http://tinyurl.com/4zbph
    >
    >Is it easy to switch to FireFox and Thunderbird? Will Calendar work?
    > What about the various plugins and extensions?

    I've used FF and TBird, still have them installed here. I use Mozilla
    and will continue to until something better comes along, and it probably
    won't be FF and TBird from what I can see now.

    charles, Mar 14, 2005
  14. William W. Plummer

    Xin Zhang Guest

    The developers don't have enough resource to maintain two products. As
    firefox has a larger customer base, of course they will support firefox
    if they need to give up one in order to save the other.

    Xin Zhang, Mar 14, 2005
  15. William W. Plummer

    Guest

    I use Firefox almost exclusively now. Once and awhile i am forced to
    use IE because a certain wbsite dont work in FF. I must totally agree
    with you. A happy medium is exactky what is needed. I too hate all
    those plugins in FF. FF should AT LEAST have all the functions and
    controls that IE has, and have them built right into it.
    At the same time, I installed Mozilla before FF. Mozilla was far too
    bloated for my tastes. I most likely would have stuck with it, and
    learned to ignore much of the bloat. However, Mozilla crashed more
    often than almost any other piece of software I have ever used. Maybe
    my computer is too slow, or my memory is lacking, since this is an old
    computer. but Moz just did not work for me. FF seems pretty stable.
    I have crashed it about 4 times since I started using it about 6
    months ago. IE crashes more than that. But Moz crashed almost
    everytime I used it, so it had to go.

    What you said makes much sense. Offer three levels. Plain - few
    features (like FF is now), Middle - many more of the common features,
    and High - all the bloat every geek could ever want.
    I already know I'd select the middle one.

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:58:18 -0800, "Steven M. Payeur"
    <> wrote:

    >I just wanted to say that I really don't like this. I started with
    >Mozilla, and have tried FireFox quite a few times. Every time I do, I
    >feel as if someone has put a straightjacket on me. So many of the
    >features and preferences are removed that I feel I no longer have
    >control of the browser. A thousand little add-ons have to be downloaded
    >and installed just to get some of that control back. Is there possibly
    >some middle-ground that can be achieved?
    >
    >Some friends and I always joke about the need for a checkbox in Windows
    >that enables/disables bloatware. Since they're dumbing-down the Mozilla
    >organization's offerings so much, why not give their users that option
    >to have control in a much more user-friendly way? Isn't that what
    >FireFox is all about: user friendliness? Does the browser have to be
    >restricted to lowest-common-denomenator features to still appeal to the
    >masses? An "allow me to control my browser" checkbox wouldn't force Mom
    >and Grandma to click it, but it would allow reasonably knowledgeable
    >users freedom.
    >
    >I guess I should get to programming instead of complaining up a storm?
    >
    >William W. Plummer wrote:
    >> Maybe I'm late with the news, but Kim Komando's newsletter had a pointer
    >> to the story. http://tinyurl.com/4zbph
    >>
    >> Is it easy to switch to FireFox and Thunderbird? Will Calendar work?
    >> What about the various plugins and extensions?

    , Mar 16, 2005
  16. William W. Plummer

    Moz Champion Guest

    wrote:
    > I use Firefox almost exclusively now. Once and awhile i am forced to
    > use IE because a certain wbsite dont work in FF. I must totally agree
    > with you. A happy medium is exactky what is needed. I too hate all
    > those plugins in FF. FF should AT LEAST have all the functions and
    > controls that IE has, and have them built right into it.
    > At the same time, I installed Mozilla before FF. Mozilla was far too
    > bloated for my tastes. I most likely would have stuck with it, and
    > learned to ignore much of the bloat. However, Mozilla crashed more
    > often than almost any other piece of software I have ever used. Maybe
    > my computer is too slow, or my memory is lacking, since this is an old
    > computer. but Moz just did not work for me. FF seems pretty stable.
    > I have crashed it about 4 times since I started using it about 6
    > months ago. IE crashes more than that. But Moz crashed almost
    > everytime I used it, so it had to go.
    >
    > What you said makes much sense. Offer three levels. Plain - few
    > features (like FF is now), Middle - many more of the common features,
    > and High - all the bloat every geek could ever want.
    > I already know I'd select the middle one.
    >

    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:58:18 -0800, "Steven M. Payeur"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I just wanted to say that I really don't like this. I started with
    >>Mozilla, and have tried FireFox quite a few times. Every time I do, I
    >>feel as if someone has put a straightjacket on me. So many of the
    >>features and preferences are removed that I feel I no longer have
    >>control of the browser. A thousand little add-ons have to be downloaded
    >>and installed just to get some of that control back. Is there possibly
    >>some middle-ground that can be achieved?
    >>
    >>Some friends and I always joke about the need for a checkbox in Windows
    >>that enables/disables bloatware. Since they're dumbing-down the Mozilla
    >>organization's offerings so much, why not give their users that option
    >>to have control in a much more user-friendly way? Isn't that what
    >>FireFox is all about: user friendliness? Does the browser have to be
    >>restricted to lowest-common-denomenator features to still appeal to the
    >>masses? An "allow me to control my browser" checkbox wouldn't force Mom
    >>and Grandma to click it, but it would allow reasonably knowledgeable
    >>users freedom.
    >>
    >>I guess I should get to programming instead of complaining up a storm?
    >>
    >>William W. Plummer wrote:
    >>
    >>>Maybe I'm late with the news, but Kim Komando's newsletter had a pointer
    >>>to the story. http://tinyurl.com/4zbph
    >>>
    >>>Is it easy to switch to FireFox and Thunderbird? Will Calendar work?
    >>> What about the various plugins and extensions?

    It should have all the same functions as IE has? And the same security
    holes? Thats what makes it better, it is much more secure than IE! Many
    of the 'features' you find in IE are simply security disasters waiting
    to happen, to make FF function the same would open it up to the same
    security situation IE users are now in.

    Moz Champion, Mar 16, 2005
  17. >
    > It should have all the same functions as IE has? And the same security
    > holes? Thats what makes it better, it is much more secure than IE! Many
    > of the 'features' you find in IE are simply security disasters waiting
    > to happen, to make FF function the same would open it up to the same
    > security situation IE users are now in.

    I think we need to see what Microsoft does with Outlook, OE and IE.
    The press seems to say they are taking the security issues seriously
    now. The most appealing thing about Mozilla to us was the relief from
    malware so if MS rises to that standard, I'll go back.

    William W. Plummer, Mar 16, 2005
  18. William W. Plummer

    Adrian Guest

    "charles was inspired by God to say to the flock");, On 3/14/05 2:50 PM:

    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:29:44 -0500, "William W. Plummer"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Maybe I'm late with the news, but Kim Komando's newsletter had a pointer
    >>to the story. http://tinyurl.com/4zbph
    >>
    >>Is it easy to switch to FireFox and Thunderbird? Will Calendar work?
    >> What about the various plugins and extensions?

    > I've used FF and TBird, still have them installed here. I use Mozilla
    > and will continue to until something better comes along, and it probably
    > won't be FF and TBird from what I can see now.

    The Suite is the one for me too. FF & TB are years behind.
    I use the web site editor as well. I'll stick with 1.7+ as long as it's
    secure. Just thought I would put in a vote here for the Suite.
    Oh well, back to lurking :) B4N,
    ~Adrian

    Adrian, Mar 16, 2005
  19. William W. Plummer

    Guest

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 06:00:00 GMT, Moz Champion
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I use Firefox almost exclusively now. Once and awhile i am forced to
    >> use IE because a certain wbsite dont work in FF. I must totally agree
    >> with you. A happy medium is exactky what is needed. I too hate all
    >> those plugins in FF. FF should AT LEAST have all the functions and
    >> controls that IE has, and have them built right into it.
    >> At the same time, I installed Mozilla before FF. Mozilla was far too
    >> bloated for my tastes. I most likely would have stuck with it, and
    >> learned to ignore much of the bloat. However, Mozilla crashed more
    >> often than almost any other piece of software I have ever used. Maybe
    >> my computer is too slow, or my memory is lacking, since this is an old
    >> computer. but Moz just did not work for me. FF seems pretty stable.
    >> I have crashed it about 4 times since I started using it about 6
    >> months ago. IE crashes more than that. But Moz crashed almost
    >> everytime I used it, so it had to go.
    >>
    >> What you said makes much sense. Offer three levels. Plain - few
    >> features (like FF is now), Middle - many more of the common features,
    >> and High - all the bloat every geek could ever want.
    >> I already know I'd select the middle one.
    >>

    >> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:58:18 -0800, "Steven M. Payeur"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I just wanted to say that I really don't like this. I started with
    >>>Mozilla, and have tried FireFox quite a few times. Every time I do, I
    >>>feel as if someone has put a straightjacket on me. So many of the
    >>>features and preferences are removed that I feel I no longer have
    >>>control of the browser. A thousand little add-ons have to be downloaded
    >>>and installed just to get some of that control back. Is there possibly
    >>>some middle-ground that can be achieved?
    >>>
    >>>Some friends and I always joke about the need for a checkbox in Windows
    >>>that enables/disables bloatware. Since they're dumbing-down the Mozilla
    >>>organization's offerings so much, why not give their users that option
    >>>to have control in a much more user-friendly way? Isn't that what
    >>>FireFox is all about: user friendliness? Does the browser have to be
    >>>restricted to lowest-common-denomenator features to still appeal to the
    >>>masses? An "allow me to control my browser" checkbox wouldn't force Mom
    >>>and Grandma to click it, but it would allow reasonably knowledgeable
    >>>users freedom.
    >>>
    >>>I guess I should get to programming instead of complaining up a storm?

    >It should have all the same functions as IE has? And the same security
    >holes? Thats what makes it better, it is much more secure than IE! Many
    >of the 'features' you find in IE are simply security disasters waiting
    >to happen, to make FF function the same would open it up to the same
    >security situation IE users are now in.

    I'm not saying anything about security. I am referring to simple
    ON/OFF things. IE allows a person to toggle on and off SOUNDS,
    ANIMATIONS, VIDEOS, and other similar things. FF does not have these
    features. Yes, I am sure there are plugins for all of them, but
    simple things like this should be built in. For example, I hate the
    Macromedia Flash used on far too many websites now-a-days. But I do
    like to view some of the funny Flash movies they offer on some of the
    political and other websites. I finally installed that plugin that
    disables all flash content, and puts these big ugly buttons on the
    pages that allow me to click to see flash content. It would be so
    much nicer to just have a Flash On/Off selection.

    Each one of us is different, and each of us have our own ways that we
    want to view webpages. Some people love all that flash content and
    all sorts of noisy sounds, etc. I dont. My dialup is too slow to
    wait for all the junk to load, and I am very annoyed by noisy sound
    files on sites, because I am generally listening to music or the tv
    when I am online. Yet, other times I might get in a mood to go tp
    some of these kind of sites and actually view and hear all that stuff.

    I dont think it's too much to ask to offer Toggles for those options,
    and FF could make it easier than IE, by placing them right in the
    taskbar, instead of the clumbsy method in IE that requires a minimum
    of 4 clicks to get to.

    Another thing, are these automatic popups when typing in a URL. I am
    not sure what this is called, but the seond I type www a bunch of old
    urls pop up on my screen. To me, this is an annoyance. I can type
    faster than to click on some old link, and everytime those things
    popup on my screen, they distract me. I have them disabled in IE, and
    have ever since I first installed IE. I simply do not want that
    feature. But, FF forces me to be distracted by them. Once again, FF
    should offer an option to toggle that on and off.

    None of this has anything to do with security.... All I am asking is
    to give us some options, and I dont mean having to install a plugin
    for every one of these things, nor using that about.config thing that
    only a computer programmer can understand.

    The other option would be for someone to make ONE plugin that allows
    for ALL of this, and puts a toggle selection in the taskbar.

    , Mar 16, 2005
  20. wrote:
> [...]

    > not sure what this is called, but the seond I type www a bunch of old
    > urls pop up on my screen. To me, this is an annoyance. I can type
    > faster than to click on some old link, and everytime those things
    > popup on my screen, they distract me. I have them disabled in IE, and
    > have ever since I first installed IE. I simply do not want that
    > feature. But, FF forces me to be distracted by them. Once again, FF
    > should offer an option to toggle that on and off.
    >
    > None of this has anything to do with security.... All I am asking is
    > to give us some options, and I dont mean having to install a plugin
    > for every one of these things, nor using that about.config thing that
    > only a computer programmer can understand.
    >
    > The other option would be for someone to make ONE plugin that allows
    > for ALL of this, and puts a toggle selection in the taskbar.

    Preferences toolbar has a Kill Flash button. Also Images, Fonts, Java
    Javascript, animations, and much more can be toggled on and off on the
    fly, either from a toolbar, or a dropdown in the Menu Bar.

    It does not have a button to disable sound however. There are
    bookmarklets that will shut down background sound.

    http://prefbar.mozdev.org

    By the way, at the moment, mozdev appears to be down.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 16, 2005