    profile again as mozilla claims it is still running. As a result I have
    to reboot the system to get in again. Any solutions?

    Rofojo
    Robert Folan-Johsnon, Feb 28, 2006

  2. Robert Folan-Johsnon wrote:
    > Hi Mozilla fellow lovers,
    >
    > I have a feeling this problem has already been aired here but here goes.
    >
    > After I close Mozilla, or it freezes and closes, I cannot access my
    > profile again as mozilla claims it is still running. As a result I have
    > to reboot the system to get in again. Any solutions?
    >
    > Rofojo

    It _is_ still running, but in the background. In Windows, hit
    Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the Task Manager. Select the panel marked
    'Processes' and look for Mozilla (or Firefox, or what-have-you). Click
    the 'End Process' button. You should now be OK.

    In Linux (if memory serves), you'll have to do a ps command to find the
    process number, then issue a kill command to do the dirty on that process.

    Hope this helps,

    David H
    David Harrison, Feb 28, 2006

  3. Robert Folan-Johsnon

    gwtc Guest

    Robert Folan-Johsnon wrote:
    > Hi Mozilla fellow lovers,
    >
    > I have a feeling this problem has already been aired here but here goes.
    >
    > After I close Mozilla, or it freezes and closes, I cannot access my
    > profile again as mozilla claims it is still running. As a result I have
    > to reboot the system to get in again. Any solutions?
    >
    > Rofojo

    David has told you what to do, and I'll tell you that its a known PITA
    gwtc, Feb 28, 2006
  4. Robert Folan-Johsnon

    ANC Guest

    gwtc wrote:

    > Robert Folan-Johsnon wrote:
    >> Hi Mozilla fellow lovers,
    >>
    >> I have a feeling this problem has already been aired here but here goes.
    >>
    >> After I close Mozilla, or it freezes and closes, I cannot access my
    >> profile again as mozilla claims it is still running. As a result I have
    >> to reboot the system to get in again. Any solutions?
    >>
    >> Rofojo

    > David has told you what to do, and I'll tell you that its a known PITA

    If there is ONE thing that many FF users wish the developers would do is to
    make this whole multiple profile thing an OPTION so we can turn it off...
    and not have FF check to see if it is already 'in play.'

    anc
    ANC, Feb 28, 2006
  5. Robert Folan-Johsnon wrote:
    > Hi Mozilla fellow lovers,
    >
    > I have a feeling this problem has already been aired here but here goes.
    >
    > After I close Mozilla, or it freezes and closes, I cannot access my
    > profile again as mozilla claims it is still running. As a result I
    > have to reboot the system to get in again. Any solutions?
    >
    > Rofojo

    Note:

    using the CLOSE window (Red/Black X in upper right corner) is NOT
    closing the program, it is simply closing the window
    If you want to exit the program use File-->Exit
    I propose that if you use File-->Exit instead of <Red/Black X> (Close
    Window) your problems will disappear.
    Moz Champion (Dan), Feb 28, 2006
  6. ANC wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >

    >> Robert Folan-Johsnon wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi Mozilla fellow lovers,
    >>>
    >>> I have a feeling this problem has already been aired here but here goes.
    >>>
    >>> After I close Mozilla, or it freezes and closes, I cannot access my
    >>> profile again as mozilla claims it is still running. As a result I have
    >>> to reboot the system to get in again. Any solutions?
    >>>
    >>> Rofojo
    >>>

    >> David has told you what to do, and I'll tell you that its a known PITA
    >>

    > If there is ONE thing that many FF users wish the developers would do is to
    > make this whole multiple profile thing an OPTION so we can turn it off...
    > and not have FF check to see if it is already 'in play.'
    >
    > anc

    Its not a multiple profile 'thing' - its because the program isnt
    closed- its still running, ergo the profile is in use.

    Close Window (Red/Black X) is NOT closing the program, its simply
    closing the visible window
    To exit the program use File-->Exit

    A Close Window (Red/Black X) will close the program IF there are no
    hidden processes running - the fact that the OP reports that FF is still
    there in task manager shows that there ARE hidden processes running.
    Using File-->Exit closes ALL windows and terminates all processess by
    the program as well.

    If you want to close the window, use Red/Black X (Close Window)
    If you want to exit the program, use File-->Exit

    The above is for windows
    On Macs its Firefox-->Quit
    Note, on the mac its quite evident the program is still running when you
    use the close window command (upper left on mac) because the (Firefox)
    menu stays across the top of the screen - in Windows that menu is
    present within the window, so its not apparent that the program is still
    running..
    Moz Champion (Dan), Feb 28, 2006
  7. Robert Folan-Johsnon

    ANC Guest

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > ANC wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> David has told you what to do, and I'll tell you that its a known PITA
    >>>

    >> If there is ONE thing that many FF users wish the developers would do is
    >> to make this whole multiple profile thing an OPTION so we can turn it
    >> off... and not have FF check to see if it is already 'in play.'
    >>
    >> anc
    >>

    > Its not a multiple profile 'thing' - its because the program isnt
    > closed- its still running, ergo the profile is in use.
    >
    > Close Window (Red/Black X) is NOT closing the program, its simply
    > closing the visible window
    > To exit the program use File-->Exit
    >
    > A Close Window (Red/Black X) will close the program IF there are no
    > hidden processes running - the fact that the OP reports that FF is still
    > there in task manager shows that there ARE hidden processes running.
    > Using File-->Exit closes ALL windows and terminates all processess by
    > the program as well.
    >
    > If you want to close the window, use Red/Black X (Close Window)
    > If you want to exit the program, use File-->Exit
    >
    > The above is for windows
    > On Macs its Firefox-->Quit
    > Note, on the mac its quite evident the program is still running when you
    > use the close window command (upper left on mac) because the (Firefox)
    > menu stays across the top of the screen - in Windows that menu is
    > present within the window, so its not apparent that the program is still
    > running..

    In Linux, closing the window closes Firefox... except when it doesn't.

    ANC
    ANC, Mar 1, 2006
  8. ANC wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >

    >> ANC wrote:

    >>> If there is ONE thing that many FF users wish the developers would do is
    >>> to make this whole multiple profile thing an OPTION so we can turn it
    >>> off... and not have FF check to see if it is already 'in play.'
    >>>
    >>> anc
    >>>

    >> Its not a multiple profile 'thing' - its because the program isnt
    >> closed- its still running, ergo the profile is in use.
    >>
    >> Close Window (Red/Black X) is NOT closing the program, its simply
    >> closing the visible window
    >> To exit the program use File-->Exit
    >>
    >> A Close Window (Red/Black X) will close the program IF there are no
    >> hidden processes running - the fact that the OP reports that FF is still
    >> there in task manager shows that there ARE hidden processes running.
    >> Using File-->Exit closes ALL windows and terminates all processess by
    >> the program as well.
    >>
    >> If you want to close the window, use Red/Black X (Close Window)
    >> If you want to exit the program, use File-->Exit
    >>
    >> The above is for windows
    >> On Macs its Firefox-->Quit
    >> Note, on the mac its quite evident the program is still running when you
    >> use the close window command (upper left on mac) because the (Firefox)
    >> menu stays across the top of the screen - in Windows that menu is
    >> present within the window, so its not apparent that the program is still
    >> running..
    >>

    > In Linux, closing the window closes Firefox... except when it doesn't.
    >
    > ANC

    I dont have a copy of Linux, so I wouldnt know. But I suggest there
    might be a quit or exit command in one of the menus, dependent on the
    dictates of the people who set Linux standards.

    If closing the window doesnt always work, as you infer, then look around
    for a 'exit' or 'quit' command in one of the menus, that will exit or
    quit the program. Let me know will you?
    Moz Champion (Dan), Mar 1, 2006
  9. Robert Folan-Johsnon

    bob Guest

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Note:
    >
    > using the CLOSE window (Red/Black X in upper right corner) is NOT
    > closing the program, it is simply closing the window

    nope. i can successfully close my Firefox (1.7.12 Gecko/20050915) 99
    times out of 100 using the close gadget. whether using the
    gadget/menu is irrelevant a majority of the time. something,
    somewhere deep in the shitty Windows guts, something dies and hangs
    around when it shouldn't. i'm leaning towards a f*cked up extension
    that is hosing something in the system. the next time this problem
    happens to me i'm going to hit it with the excellent "Process
    Explorer 9.25" from Sysinternals. maybe something will become obvious...

    bob
    bob, Mar 1, 2006
  10. Robert Folan-Johsnon

    Ed Mullen Guest

    bob wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Note:
    >>
    >> using the CLOSE window (Red/Black X in upper right corner) is NOT
    >> closing the program, it is simply closing the window

    > nope. i can successfully close my Firefox (1.7.12 Gecko/20050915) 99
    > times out of 100 using the close gadget. whether using the gadget/menu
    > is irrelevant a majority of the time. something, somewhere deep in the
    > shitty Windows guts, something dies and hangs around when it shouldn't.
    > i'm leaning towards a f*cked up extension that is hosing something in
    > the system. the next time this problem happens to me i'm going to hit it
    > with the excellent "Process Explorer 9.25" from Sysinternals. maybe
    > something will become obvious...
    >
    > bob

    I've never had this problem with Firefox on any of my Win XP boxes (nor
    the memory problems either). Clicking the close widget always exits the
    program. Process Explorer shows the following processes under Firefox
    identified as from either Mozilla Corp. or Netscape Corp.:

    jar50.dll
    js3250.dll
    nspr4.dll
    nss3.dll
    nssckbi.dll
    plc4.dll
    plds4.dll
    smime3.dll
    softokn3.dll
    ssl3.dll
    xpcom_compat.dll
    xpcom_core.dll

    It's also hooked into various Windows resources as well. FWIW.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Mar 1, 2006
  11. bob wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Note:
    >>
    >> using the CLOSE window (Red/Black X in upper right corner) is NOT
    >> closing the program, it is simply closing the window

    > nope. i can successfully close my Firefox (1.7.12 Gecko/20050915) 99
    > times out of 100 using the close gadget. whether using the gadget/menu
    > is irrelevant a majority of the time. something, somewhere deep in the
    > shitty Windows guts, something dies and hangs around when it
    > shouldn't. i'm leaning towards a f*cked up extension that is hosing
    > something in the system. the next time this problem happens to me i'm
    > going to hit it with the excellent "Process Explorer 9.25" from
    > Sysinternals. maybe something will become obvious...
    >
    > bob

    For that one time out of a 100, the File-->Exit would do the job
    The OP was asking why his program remained in the task manager, and the
    answer is not to use the close gadget as you term it, but rather the
    File-->Exit. Evidently you are not having the same problem.
    Moz Champion (Dan), Mar 2, 2006
  12. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > bob wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>> Note:
    >>>
    >>> using the CLOSE window (Red/Black X in upper right corner) is NOT
    >>> closing the program, it is simply closing the window

    >> nope. i can successfully close my Firefox (1.7.12 Gecko/20050915) 99
    >> times out of 100 using the close gadget. whether using the
    >> gadget/menu is irrelevant a majority of the time. something,
    >> somewhere deep in the shitty Windows guts, something dies and hangs
    >> around when it shouldn't. i'm leaning towards a f*cked up extension
    >> that is hosing something in the system. the next time this problem
    >> happens to me i'm going to hit it with the excellent "Process
    >> Explorer 9.25" from Sysinternals. maybe something will become obvious...
    >>
    >> bob
    >>

    > I've never had this problem with Firefox on any of my Win XP boxes
    > (nor the memory problems either). Clicking the close widget always
    > exits the program. Process Explorer shows the following processes
    > under Firefox identified as from either Mozilla Corp. or Netscape Corp.:
    >
    > jar50.dll
    > js3250.dll
    > nspr4.dll
    > nss3.dll
    > nssckbi.dll
    > plc4.dll
    > plds4.dll
    > smime3.dll
    > softokn3.dll
    > ssl3.dll
    > xpcom_compat.dll
    > xpcom_core.dll
    >
    > It's also hooked into various Windows resources as well. FWIW.

    If you've never had the problem, then you dont need the solution.
    But the OP (and others) ARE experiencing the problem, and using
    File-->Exit (instead of the close window) is the solution to the OP's
    problem.

    I've never had the problem (on my windows boxes) either - doesnt mean it
    doesnt exist.
    I've never had occasion to delete .msf files, doesnt mean that solution
    isnt valid for specific problems

    Many of the solutions for various problems espoused here, I've never had
    to use, because I dont have problems. Doesnt mean that no one has those
    problems, or that the solutions posted here are invalid
    Moz Champion (Dan), Mar 2, 2006
  13. Robert Folan-Johsnon

    ANC Guest

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > bob wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>> Note:
    >>>
    >>> using the CLOSE window (Red/Black X in upper right corner) is NOT
    >>> closing the program, it is simply closing the window

    >> nope. i can successfully close my Firefox (1.7.12 Gecko/20050915) 99
    >> times out of 100 using the close gadget. whether using the gadget/menu
    >> is irrelevant a majority of the time. something, somewhere deep in the
    >> shitty Windows guts, something dies and hangs around when it
    >> shouldn't. i'm leaning towards a f*cked up extension that is hosing
    >> something in the system. the next time this problem happens to me i'm
    >> going to hit it with the excellent "Process Explorer 9.25" from
    >> Sysinternals. maybe something will become obvious...
    >>
    >> bob
    >>

    > For that one time out of a 100, the File-->Exit would do the job
    > The OP was asking why his program remained in the task manager, and the
    > answer is not to use the close gadget as you term it, but rather the
    > File-->Exit. Evidently you are not having the same problem.

    In Linux, a well-behaved/well-written program does NOT linger in the
    background when you close the window UNLESS it is designed to be placed in
    the system tray... and it should give you a pop-up saying it will do this
    and offer you an option to quit entirely. I don't know about Windows or Mac
    but I assume they are the same.

    That said, I have no doubt that there are some bugs in FF that might NOT end
    the process when the window "x" is clicked and would leave a zombie
    process. In that case we list the processes (ps aux) from command line or
    use a GUI application similar to Windows ctl-alt-del, and just 'kill' the
    hanging process.

    I have to politely disagree with the person who claims that closing the
    window in FF does NOT kill the process because TTBOMK and in my experience
    it does (or is supposed to.)

    Al
    ANC, Mar 2, 2006
  14. ANC wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >

    >> bob wrote:

    >>> nope. i can successfully close my Firefox (1.7.12 Gecko/20050915) 99
    >>> times out of 100 using the close gadget. whether using the gadget/menu
    >>> is irrelevant a majority of the time. something, somewhere deep in the
    >>> shitty Windows guts, something dies and hangs around when it
    >>> shouldn't. i'm leaning towards a f*cked up extension that is hosing
    >>> something in the system. the next time this problem happens to me i'm
    >>> going to hit it with the excellent "Process Explorer 9.25" from
    >>> Sysinternals. maybe something will become obvious...
    >>>
    >>> bob
    >>>

    >> For that one time out of a 100, the File-->Exit would do the job
    >> The OP was asking why his program remained in the task manager, and the
    >> answer is not to use the close gadget as you term it, but rather the
    >> File-->Exit. Evidently you are not having the same problem.
    >>

    > In Linux, a well-behaved/well-written program does NOT linger in the
    > background when you close the window UNLESS it is designed to be placed in
    > the system tray... and it should give you a pop-up saying it will do this
    > and offer you an option to quit entirely. I don't know about Windows or Mac
    > but I assume they are the same.
    >
    > That said, I have no doubt that there are some bugs in FF that might NOT end
    > the process when the window "x" is clicked and would leave a zombie
    > process. In that case we list the processes (ps aux) from command line or
    > use a GUI application similar to Windows ctl-alt-del, and just 'kill' the
    > hanging process.
    >
    > I have to politely disagree with the person who claims that closing the
    > window in FF does NOT kill the process because TTBOMK and in my experience
    > it does (or is supposed to.)
    >
    > Al

    On the macintosh, closing the window does NOT quit or exit the program.
    It simply closes the window.
    On windows, closing the window does NOT always quit or exit the program,
    if there are background processes (or other windows!) running.

    On both the above, thats whats suppossed to happen.

    When using Firefox for example. When you open the program a window
    appears, much like on windows. However on the mac, the menu bar across
    the top of the screen changes to reflect the menu of the visible
    window. If a user closes that window, the menu bar remains, giving
    ample evidence that the program is still running (tho it might not be
    actually doing anything).

    On Windows, the menu is included within the window itself, so there is
    nothing to hint to the user that the program may still be running after
    closing the window.

    Not having Linux available for testing, I cant vouch for its operation,
    or whats suppossed to happen when you close a window. However, since it
    does allow for multiple windows to be opened by an application, it is
    safe to say that closing the window does NOT always exit or quit the
    program.
    Again, I ask, in Linux, does it have a File-->Exit or and exit or quit
    command in the menus?
    Moz Champion (Dan), Mar 2, 2006
  15. Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > ANC wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >>> For that one time out of a 100, the File-->Exit would do the job
    >>> The OP was asking why his program remained in the task manager, and the
    >>> answer is not to use the close gadget as you term it, but rather the
    >>> File-->Exit. Evidently you are not having the same problem.
    >>>

    >> In Linux, a well-behaved/well-written program does NOT linger in the
    >> background when you close the window UNLESS it is designed to be
    >> placed in
    >> the system tray... and it should give you a pop-up saying it will do this
    >> and offer you an option to quit entirely. I don't know about Windows
    >> or Mac
    >> but I assume they are the same.
    >> That said, I have no doubt that there are some bugs in FF that might
    >> NOT end
    >> the process when the window "x" is clicked and would leave a zombie
    >> process. In that case we list the processes (ps aux) from command line or
    >> use a GUI application similar to Windows ctl-alt-del, and just 'kill' the
    >> hanging process.
    >> I have to politely disagree with the person who claims that closing the
    >> window in FF does NOT kill the process because TTBOMK and in my
    >> experience
    >> it does (or is supposed to.)
    >>
    >> Al
    >>

    > On the macintosh, closing the window does NOT quit or exit the program.
    > It simply closes the window.
    > On windows, closing the window does NOT always quit or exit the program,
    > if there are background processes (or other windows!) running.
    >
    > On both the above, thats whats suppossed to happen.
    >
    > When using Firefox for example. When you open the program a window
    > appears, much like on windows. However on the mac, the menu bar across
    > the top of the screen changes to reflect the menu of the visible
    > window. If a user closes that window, the menu bar remains, giving
    > ample evidence that the program is still running (tho it might not be
    > actually doing anything).
    >
    > On Windows, the menu is included within the window itself, so there is
    > nothing to hint to the user that the program may still be running after
    > closing the window.
    >
    > Not having Linux available for testing, I cant vouch for its operation,
    > or whats suppossed to happen when you close a window. However, since it
    > does allow for multiple windows to be opened by an application, it is
    > safe to say that closing the window does NOT always exit or quit the
    > program. Again, I ask, in Linux, does it have a File-->Exit or and exit
    > or quit command in the menus?

    Out of curiosity -- does 'Alt-F4' (windows) equate to the 'close window'
    control or to File-->Exit?

    cheers,

    David H
    David Harrison, Mar 2, 2006
  16. Robert Folan-Johsnon

    Ed Mullen Guest

    David Harrison wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> ANC wrote:

    >>> In Linux, a well-behaved/well-written program does NOT linger in the
    >>> background when you close the window UNLESS it is designed to be
    >>> placed in
    >>> the system tray... and it should give you a pop-up saying it will do
    >>> this
    >>> and offer you an option to quit entirely. I don't know about Windows
    >>> or Mac
    >>> but I assume they are the same.
    >>> That said, I have no doubt that there are some bugs in FF that might
    >>> NOT end
    >>> the process when the window "x" is clicked and would leave a zombie
    >>> process. In that case we list the processes (ps aux) from command
    >>> line or
    >>> use a GUI application similar to Windows ctl-alt-del, and just 'kill'
    >>> the
    >>> hanging process.
    >>> I have to politely disagree with the person who claims that closing the
    >>> window in FF does NOT kill the process because TTBOMK and in my
    >>> experience
    >>> it does (or is supposed to.)
    >>>
    >>> Al
    >>>

    >> On the macintosh, closing the window does NOT quit or exit the
    >> program. It simply closes the window.
    >> On windows, closing the window does NOT always quit or exit the
    >> program, if there are background processes (or other windows!) running.
    >>
    >> On both the above, thats whats suppossed to happen.
    >>
    >> When using Firefox for example. When you open the program a window
    >> appears, much like on windows. However on the mac, the menu bar across
    >> the top of the screen changes to reflect the menu of the visible
    >> window. If a user closes that window, the menu bar remains, giving
    >> ample evidence that the program is still running (tho it might not be
    >> actually doing anything).
    >>
    >> On Windows, the menu is included within the window itself, so there is
    >> nothing to hint to the user that the program may still be running
    >> after closing the window.
    >>
    >> Not having Linux available for testing, I cant vouch for its
    >> operation, or whats suppossed to happen when you close a window.
    >> However, since it does allow for multiple windows to be opened by an
    >> application, it is safe to say that closing the window does NOT always
    >> exit or quit the program. Again, I ask, in Linux, does it have a
    >> File-->Exit or and exit or quit command in the menus?

    > Out of curiosity -- does 'Alt-F4' (windows) equate to the 'close window'
    > control or to File-->Exit?
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > David H

    Yes.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Mar 2, 2006
  17. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > David Harrison wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >>> On the macintosh, closing the window does NOT quit or exit the
    >>> program. It simply closes the window.
    >>> On windows, closing the window does NOT always quit or exit the
    >>> program, if there are background processes (or other windows!) running.
    >>>
    >>> On both the above, thats whats suppossed to happen.
    >>>
    >>> When using Firefox for example. When you open the program a window
    >>> appears, much like on windows. However on the mac, the menu bar
    >>> across the top of the screen changes to reflect the menu of the
    >>> visible window. If a user closes that window, the menu bar remains,
    >>> giving ample evidence that the program is still running (tho it might
    >>> not be actually doing anything).
    >>>
    >>> On Windows, the menu is included within the window itself, so there
    >>> is nothing to hint to the user that the program may still be running
    >>> after closing the window.
    >>>
    >>> Not having Linux available for testing, I cant vouch for its
    >>> operation, or whats suppossed to happen when you close a window.
    >>> However, since it does allow for multiple windows to be opened by an
    >>> application, it is safe to say that closing the window does NOT
    >>> always exit or quit the program. Again, I ask, in Linux, does it have
    >>> a File-->Exit or and exit or quit command in the menus?

    >> Out of curiosity -- does 'Alt-F4' (windows) equate to the 'close
    >> window' control or to File-->Exit?
    >>
    >> cheers,
    >>
    >> David H

    > Yes.

    Thanks. However the question was asking *which* of the two it equated
    to, as they seem from the discussion above to be two slightly different
    routes to the same goal.

    David H
    David Harrison, Mar 2, 2006
  18. Robert Folan-Johsnon

    Ed Mullen Guest

    David Harrison wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> David Harrison wrote:

    >>> Out of curiosity -- does 'Alt-F4' (windows) equate to the 'close
    >>> window' control or to File-->Exit?
    >>>
    >>> cheers,
    >>>
    >>> David H

    >> Yes.
    >>

    > Thanks. However the question was asking *which* of the two it equated
    > to, as they seem from the discussion above to be two slightly different
    > routes to the same goal.
    >
    > David H

    Depends. In Windows the generally-used practice is for the close
    control to end the program. However, it is programmable. Some programs
    are designed to only close the window the x-control is on and leave
    other windows of the same program alone (MS Office applications can be
    set this way). Sometimes it minimizes the program to the System Tray.
    Sometimes it minimizes to the Taskbar. So, assuming the program is
    functioning correctly (i.e., doesn't have a bug as Firefox seems to),
    and that the design intention is such, all of those three methods would
    be equal in Windows. Cannot speak to any other OS.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Mar 2, 2006
  19. Robert Folan-Johsnon

    bob Guest

    Re: Mozilla claims profile is running when not - extensions?

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Many of the solutions for various problems espoused here, I've never had
    > to use, because I dont have problems. Doesnt mean that no one has those
    > problems, or that the solutions posted here are invalid

    do you run many/any extensions? i really think that this is
    something that may be the culprit...

    my extensions running under Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1;
    en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7:

    Flashgot 0.5.9.95
    Popup Count 0.2.6
    Image Toolbar 0.5
    Forecastfox 0.8.5.2
    Colorful Tabs 0.3
    Plain Text to Link 1.5.20060124
    Adblock Plus 0.6.1.1
    New Tab Homepage 0.3

    bob
    bob, Mar 3, 2006
  20. Robert Folan-Johsnon

    bob Guest

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > For that one time out of a 100, the File-->Exit would do the job
    > The OP was asking why his program remained in the task manager, and the
    > answer is not to use the close gadget as you term it, but rather the
    > File-->Exit. Evidently you are not having the same problem.

    i beleive that i *am* having the same problem.
    i "close"/shutdown Firefox, and go to the task manager and there is
    Forefox, still running and eating up a good 85 or so meg (that
    number is negligible)

    so then i have to kill the process. coming from a programming
    background, i cannot see how closing the program with either the
    close gadget or menu/exit is any different. if this is the case,
    then there's some shitty coding going on...

    bob
    bob, Mar 3, 2006