    the bugs.

    More info:
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/
    Patrick Dunford, Sep 17, 2004

  2. Patrick Dunford

    Chris Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    news::

    > One of the oft repeated questions when comparing Thunderbird to
    > Outlook is the lack of calendar and task functionality.
    >
    > There is a Mozilla Calendar project that provides similar
    > functionality in two ways: a Mozilla extension and a standalone
    > application that ships with the Mozilla framework.
    >
    > I'm currently using the standalone Sunbird application which compares
    > quite well with the Outlook functionality, although it is only at
    > version 0.2+ at present. It appears to be quite stable on Windows 98.
    >
    > I also tried installing the extension in Thunderbird 0.8, but it
    > crashed repeatedly and had to be uninstalled. Probably at this early
    > stage it is better to use the standalone rather than risk crashing
    > Thunderbird with the bugs.
    >
    > More info:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/

    The plug in has not been updated yet (for Thunderbird 0.8) My experience
    doing what you did was that it just didn't work, infact the button didn't
    even appear in the list, though I was running XP.

    I did read that you can sync the calander on a Palm (?) - I think this
    might be using Sunbird ?

    Have you had any problems with Sunbird ?

    Has anyone used Sunbird under XP ?

    Chris, Sep 17, 2004

  3. Patrick Dunford

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Chris said the following on 17/09/2004 13:16:

    > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >

    >>One of the oft repeated questions when comparing Thunderbird to
    >>Outlook is the lack of calendar and task functionality.
    >>
    >>There is a Mozilla Calendar project that provides similar
    >>functionality in two ways: a Mozilla extension and a standalone
    >>application that ships with the Mozilla framework.
    >>
    >>I'm currently using the standalone Sunbird application which compares
    >>quite well with the Outlook functionality, although it is only at
    >>version 0.2+ at present. It appears to be quite stable on Windows 98.
    >>
    >>I also tried installing the extension in Thunderbird 0.8, but it
    >>crashed repeatedly and had to be uninstalled. Probably at this early
    >>stage it is better to use the standalone rather than risk crashing
    >>Thunderbird with the bugs.
    >>
    >>More info:
    >>http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/
    >>

    > The plug in has not been updated yet (for Thunderbird 0.8) My experience
    > doing what you did was that it just didn't work, infact the button didn't
    > even appear in the list, though I was running XP.
    >
    > I did read that you can sync the calander on a Palm (?) - I think this
    > might be using Sunbird ?
    >
    > Have you had any problems with Sunbird ?
    >
    > Has anyone used Sunbird under XP ?

    I havnt tried it yet, but if its got palm synch then it will be next on
    my testing list.
    Collector-NZ, Sep 17, 2004
  4. Patrick Dunford

    Chris Guest

    Collector-NZ <> wrote in

    > Chris said the following on 17/09/2004 13:16:
    >
    >> Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>One of the oft repeated questions when comparing Thunderbird to
    >>>Outlook is the lack of calendar and task functionality.
    >>>
    >>>There is a Mozilla Calendar project that provides similar
    >>>functionality in two ways: a Mozilla extension and a standalone
    >>>application that ships with the Mozilla framework.
    >>>
    >>>I'm currently using the standalone Sunbird application which compares
    >>>quite well with the Outlook functionality, although it is only at
    >>>version 0.2+ at present. It appears to be quite stable on Windows 98.
    >>>
    >>>I also tried installing the extension in Thunderbird 0.8, but it
    >>>crashed repeatedly and had to be uninstalled. Probably at this early
    >>>stage it is better to use the standalone rather than risk crashing
    >>>Thunderbird with the bugs.
    >>>
    >>>More info:
    >>>http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/
    >>>

    >> The plug in has not been updated yet (for Thunderbird 0.8) My
    >> experience doing what you did was that it just didn't work, infact
    >> the button didn't even appear in the list, though I was running XP.
    >>
    >> I did read that you can sync the calander on a Palm (?) - I think
    >> this might be using Sunbird ?
    >>
    >> Have you had any problems with Sunbird ?
    >>
    >> Has anyone used Sunbird under XP ?
    >>

    > I havnt tried it yet, but if its got palm synch then it will be next
    > on my testing list.

    I just went to have a look and it doesn't, but it's in the development
    program.

    Chris, Sep 17, 2004
  5. Patrick Dunford

    Chris Guest

    Chris <> wrote in news:414a4c53$:

    Maybe I was thinking of Thunderbird which can sync the address book on a
    Palm

    Chris, Sep 17, 2004
  6. In article <> in nz.comp on 16 Sep 2004
    20:16:53 -0500, Chris <> says...
    > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >
    > > One of the oft repeated questions when comparing Thunderbird to
    > > Outlook is the lack of calendar and task functionality.
    > >
    > > There is a Mozilla Calendar project that provides similar
    > > functionality in two ways: a Mozilla extension and a standalone
    > > application that ships with the Mozilla framework.
    > >
    > > I'm currently using the standalone Sunbird application which compares
    > > quite well with the Outlook functionality, although it is only at
    > > version 0.2+ at present. It appears to be quite stable on Windows 98.
    > >
    > > I also tried installing the extension in Thunderbird 0.8, but it
    > > crashed repeatedly and had to be uninstalled. Probably at this early
    > > stage it is better to use the standalone rather than risk crashing
    > > Thunderbird with the bugs.
    > >
    > > More info:
    > > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/
    > >

    > The plug in has not been updated yet (for Thunderbird 0.8) My experience
    > doing what you did was that it just didn't work, infact the button didn't
    > even appear in the list, though I was running XP.

    It may well be that the plugin is not compatible with 0.8. When I went to
    Preferences to set the alarm options it crashed, and crashed again each
    time I tried to open the Calendar at all.

    In any case I'm unsure if alarms would work if the calendar window was
    not opened.

    > I did read that you can sync the calander on a Palm (?) - I think this
    > might be using Sunbird ?
    >
    > Have you had any problems with Sunbird ?

    Haven't used it very much yet, but it has improved enough in 0.2
    (calendar alarms work now) that I am planning to transfer all my calendar
    data to it.

    It is possible to publish your calendar to an FTP or WebDAV server and
    make it viewable on the Internet using PHP scripting, but it can't yet
    sync with a Palm pilot
    Patrick Dunford, Sep 17, 2004
  7. In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 17 Sep 2004
    13:27:36 +1200, Collector-NZ <> says...
    > Chris said the following on 17/09/2004 13:16:
    >
    > > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    > >

    > >>One of the oft repeated questions when comparing Thunderbird to
    > >>Outlook is the lack of calendar and task functionality.
    > >>
    > >>There is a Mozilla Calendar project that provides similar
    > >>functionality in two ways: a Mozilla extension and a standalone
    > >>application that ships with the Mozilla framework.
    > >>
    > >>I'm currently using the standalone Sunbird application which compares
    > >>quite well with the Outlook functionality, although it is only at
    > >>version 0.2+ at present. It appears to be quite stable on Windows 98.
    > >>
    > >>I also tried installing the extension in Thunderbird 0.8, but it
    > >>crashed repeatedly and had to be uninstalled. Probably at this early
    > >>stage it is better to use the standalone rather than risk crashing
    > >>Thunderbird with the bugs.
    > >>
    > >>More info:
    > >>http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/
    > >>

    > > The plug in has not been updated yet (for Thunderbird 0.8) My experience
    > > doing what you did was that it just didn't work, infact the button didn't
    > > even appear in the list, though I was running XP.
    > >
    > > I did read that you can sync the calander on a Palm (?) - I think this
    > > might be using Sunbird ?
    > >
    > > Have you had any problems with Sunbird ?
    > >
    > > Has anyone used Sunbird under XP ?
    > >

    > I havnt tried it yet, but if its got palm synch then it will be next on
    > my testing list.

    Not yet.
    Patrick Dunford, Sep 17, 2004
  8. Patrick Dunford

    Jax Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > Have you had any problems with Sunbird ?
    >
    > Has anyone used Sunbird under XP ?

    yeah, its fine
    Jax, Sep 17, 2004
  9. Patrick Dunford

    Huw Giddens Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > Haven't used it very much yet, but it has improved enough in 0.2
    > (calendar alarms work now) that I am planning to transfer all my calendar
    > data to it.

    Yeah, it seems to be fairly usable now. I recently moved all my stuff from
    KOrganizer to it on account of Sunbird being able to create a halfway valid
    iCalendar file. And it can only get better!
    Huw Giddens, Sep 17, 2004
  10. In article <QBH2d.3671$> in nz.comp on Fri, 17
    Sep 2004 20:15:51 +0100, Huw Giddens <>
    says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > Haven't used it very much yet, but it has improved enough in 0.2
    > > (calendar alarms work now) that I am planning to transfer all my calendar
    > > data to it.

    > Yeah, it seems to be fairly usable now. I recently moved all my stuff from
    > KOrganizer to it on account of Sunbird being able to create a halfway valid
    > iCalendar file. And it can only get better!

    http://www.vetula.com/blog-
    radio/stories/2002/11/19/publishingEventsInMozilla.html
    for how to make your calendars visible on a website

    If it works as the example shows, this could be a very simple way of
    updating a calendar on a website.
    Patrick Dunford, Sep 18, 2004