  1. Stubby

    Stubby Guest

    What should be the default application for opening *.ics files?

    Stubby, Jul 23, 2005

  2. Stubby

    Moz Champion Guest

    Stubby wrote:
    > What should be the default application for opening *.ics files?

    The file suffix can be used by several programs
    it is used by Swiftview ICS (but not recommended for those with Outlook
    2000 installed to use the ics suffix), so it can also be used by Outlook
    2000. ICalander files also come as .ics files.

    So, it depends on what you are obtaining the .ics files for and where
    they are from, and what you intend to do with them.

    Default Application depends upon your choice. Use an application that
    can comprehend .ics files, which is dependent on what you plan to use
    the files for in most cases.

    Moz Champion, Jul 23, 2005

  3. Stubby

    Stubby Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Stubby wrote:
    >
    >> What should be the default application for opening *.ics files?

    > The file suffix can be used by several programs
    > it is used by Swiftview ICS (but not recommended for those with Outlook
    > 2000 installed to use the ics suffix), so it can also be used by Outlook
    > 2000. ICalander files also come as .ics files.
    >
    > So, it depends on what you are obtaining the .ics files for and where
    > they are from, and what you intend to do with them.
    >
    > Default Application depends upon your choice. Use an application that
    > can comprehend .ics files, which is dependent on what you plan to use
    > the files for in most cases.

    Sorry. My question wasn't clear. I'll try again.

    I recovered my calendar files (*.ics) from burning ashes after a crash.
    And I've created a few more files. But some don't work, e.g., I can't
    store anything in "My Calendar".

    So I need to experiment a bit. "ics" was bound to IrfanView which is
    clearly wrong. Changing ics to point to Mozilla causes the files to be
    displayed as text (hmtl). I want to just click on a foo.ics have have
    it fed to Calendar.

    So, how do I associate "ics" with "Calendar"? TIA

    Stubby, Jul 23, 2005
  4. Stubby

    Moz Champion Guest

    Stubby wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Stubby wrote:
    >>
    >>> What should be the default application for opening *.ics files?

    >> The file suffix can be used by several programs
    >> it is used by Swiftview ICS (but not recommended for those with
    >> Outlook 2000 installed to use the ics suffix), so it can also be used
    >> by Outlook 2000. ICalander files also come as .ics files.
    >>
    >> So, it depends on what you are obtaining the .ics files for and where
    >> they are from, and what you intend to do with them.
    >>
    >> Default Application depends upon your choice. Use an application that
    >> can comprehend .ics files, which is dependent on what you plan to use
    >> the files for in most cases.

    > Sorry. My question wasn't clear. I'll try again.
    >
    > I recovered my calendar files (*.ics) from burning ashes after a crash.
    > And I've created a few more files. But some don't work, e.g., I can't
    > store anything in "My Calendar".
    >
    > So I need to experiment a bit. "ics" was bound to IrfanView which is
    > clearly wrong. Changing ics to point to Mozilla causes the files to be
    > displayed as text (hmtl). I want to just click on a foo.ics have have
    > it fed to Calendar.
    >
    > So, how do I associate "ics" with "Calendar"? TIA

    Have you installed the Calandar extension?

    Moz Champion, Jul 23, 2005
  5. Stubby

    Stubby Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Stubby wrote:
    >
    >> Moz Champion wrote:

    >>> The file suffix can be used by several programs
    >>> it is used by Swiftview ICS (but not recommended for those with
    >>> Outlook 2000 installed to use the ics suffix), so it can also be used
    >>> by Outlook 2000. ICalander files also come as .ics files.
    >>>
    >>> So, it depends on what you are obtaining the .ics files for and where
    >>> they are from, and what you intend to do with them.
    >>>
    >>> Default Application depends upon your choice. Use an application that
    >>> can comprehend .ics files, which is dependent on what you plan to use
    >>> the files for in most cases.

    >> Sorry. My question wasn't clear. I'll try again.
    >>
    >> I recovered my calendar files (*.ics) from burning ashes after a
    >> crash. And I've created a few more files. But some don't work, e.g.,
    >> I can't store anything in "My Calendar".
    >>
    >> So I need to experiment a bit. "ics" was bound to IrfanView which is
    >> clearly wrong. Changing ics to point to Mozilla causes the files to
    >> be displayed as text (hmtl). I want to just click on a foo.ics have
    >> have it fed to Calendar.
    >>
    >> So, how do I associate "ics" with "Calendar"? TIA

    > Have you installed the Calandar extension?

    Just to be sure, I installed Calendar again. Upon restarting Mozilla
    (1.7.8) it crabs about not finding xpcom_core.dll . Now what do I do???

    Stubby, Jul 23, 2005
  6. Stubby

    Moz Champion Guest

    Stubby wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Stubby wrote:

    >>> Sorry. My question wasn't clear. I'll try again.
    >>>
    >>> I recovered my calendar files (*.ics) from burning ashes after a
    >>> crash. And I've created a few more files. But some don't work,
    >>> e.g., I can't store anything in "My Calendar".
    >>>
    >>> So I need to experiment a bit. "ics" was bound to IrfanView which
    >>> is clearly wrong. Changing ics to point to Mozilla causes the files
    >>> to be displayed as text (hmtl). I want to just click on a foo.ics
    >>> have have it fed to Calendar.
    >>>
    >>> So, how do I associate "ics" with "Calendar"? TIA

    >> Have you installed the Calandar extension?

    > Just to be sure, I installed Calendar again. Upon restarting Mozilla
    > (1.7.8) it crabs about not finding xpcom_core.dll . Now what do I do???

    You will have to await someone familiar with Windows for an answer on
    that one, dlls are foreign to me.

    Moz Champion, Jul 24, 2005