Mozilla bookmarks

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jason M, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. Jason M

    Jason M Guest

    I installed Mozilla 1.5 on my machine and in the bookmarks is an entry
    for "Imported IE Favorites". This allows me to select any existing IE
    bookmarks, and save them in Mozilla if I wish. Slightly tiresome but
    at least it works.

    Months later a friend has downloaded Mozilla which also claims to be
    version 1.5 but it is different in many ways. On installation it
    automatically found most of the IE bookmarks and copied them into
    Mozilla, which is very handy. But how to transfer the remaining
    bookmarks across, and why did it miss about 35 of them?

    Mozilla Help has an index entry for Exporting bookmarks but not
    Importing them. However the Export help also shows how to Import
    bookmarks, but when after following the instructions, the bookmarks
    are not copied. I would expect to be able to select a folder full of
    IE bookmarks, but Mozilla insists on copying a single file only, which
    can contain a number of bookmarks in HTML format. But how, and why,
    are we expected to do that without going to a lot of trouble, which my
    friend (and many people) are incapable of doing.

    We can laboriously cut and paste each bookmark URL to Mozilla, which
    is really hard work. Surely if Mozilla want people to transfer from
    using IE they could make the task somewhat easier.

    And does anyone know where Mozilla keeps its bookmarks?
    I can find them in my copy of Mozilla in a file called bookmarks.html
    but not for the Mozilla on my friends machine.
    Why on earth would entirely different versions of Mozilla both be
    called 1.5?

    Jason M, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Jason M

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 08:33:28 +0000, Jason M wrote:

    > We can laboriously cut and paste each bookmark URL to Mozilla, which
    > is really hard work.

    Wow man - really gonna make you work up a sweat doing that!

    Lennier

    --
    The above reply is in response to a person who can be only described as a
    knuckle-dragger.

    Lennier, Feb 15, 2004

  3. Jason M

    Howard Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 08:33:28 +0000, Jason M wrote:

    > We can laboriously cut and paste each bookmark URL to Mozilla, which
    > is really hard work. Surely if Mozilla want people to transfer from
    > using IE they could make the task somewhat easier.
    >
    > And does anyone know where Mozilla keeps its bookmarks?
    > I can find them in my copy of Mozilla in a file called bookmarks.html
    > but not for the Mozilla on my friends machine.
    > Why on earth would entirely different versions of Mozilla both be
    > called 1.5?

    Sounds very strange. One of Moz's good points is its consistency across
    OSs. And the bookmarks are stored in bookmarks.html, unless you're
    using one of the special bookmark addins available from mozdev.org

    Can you post your friends OS version & Moz full detail version number from
    the Help|About screen?

    Howard, Feb 15, 2004
  4. Jason M

    Chris Guest

    (Jason M) wrote in

    > I installed Mozilla 1.5 on my machine and in the bookmarks is an entry
    > for "Imported IE Favorites". This allows me to select any existing IE
    > bookmarks, and save them in Mozilla if I wish. Slightly tiresome but
    > at least it works.
    >
    > Months later a friend has downloaded Mozilla which also claims to be
    > version 1.5 but it is different in many ways. On installation it
    > automatically found most of the IE bookmarks and copied them into
    > Mozilla, which is very handy. But how to transfer the remaining
    > bookmarks across, and why did it miss about 35 of them?
    >
    > Mozilla Help has an index entry for Exporting bookmarks but not
    > Importing them. However the Export help also shows how to Import
    > bookmarks, but when after following the instructions, the bookmarks
    > are not copied. I would expect to be able to select a folder full of
    > IE bookmarks, but Mozilla insists on copying a single file only, which
    > can contain a number of bookmarks in HTML format. But how, and why,
    > are we expected to do that without going to a lot of trouble, which my
    > friend (and many people) are incapable of doing.
    >
    > We can laboriously cut and paste each bookmark URL to Mozilla, which
    > is really hard work. Surely if Mozilla want people to transfer from
    > using IE they could make the task somewhat easier.
    >
    > And does anyone know where Mozilla keeps its bookmarks?
    > I can find them in my copy of Mozilla in a file called bookmarks.html
    > but not for the Mozilla on my friends machine.
    > Why on earth would entirely different versions of Mozilla both be
    > called 1.5?

    Maybe something went wrong with the installation ? because (as you probably
    know ?) you can import IE bookmarks into Mozilla. You could try searching
    for a file called "bookmarks.html" to locate it (assuming it exists).

    In case you don't know you can manually import IE fravorites by:
    1. Open Mozilla, then
    2. CTL+B (opens the Bookmark manager) and
    3. Import under the TOOLS menu.
    --
    Chris

    Chris, Feb 15, 2004