Mozilla becomes slow

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Sentinel69, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Sentinel69

    Sentinel69 Guest

    Hi all

    I use Mozilla 1.7
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; nl-NL; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040616

    At first it works just fine but after some surfing and mailing ,let's
    say 30 minutes , it becomes slow... it tries to connect to http but it
    fails, it keeps saying trying to to connect to *something*.Mail is also
    not able to connect again.
    The only option left is to close the mail account and browser and let
    the quick start again. I use no proxies or whatever and no restrictions
    in my firewall rules.Th is problem persist even with the firewall disabled.

    I really love this browser but this problem is very annoying, does
    anyone kwow what the problem is?

    kind regards

    Irene

    --
    "Greed will be your Downfall"
    Http://www.sentinel69.cjb.net

    And:
    Don't dump piggies
    http://www.caviaopvangbetuwe.tk

    Sentinel69, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Sentinel69

    Moz Champion Guest

    Sentinel69 wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I use Mozilla 1.7
    > Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; nl-NL; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040616
    >
    > At first it works just fine but after some surfing and mailing ,let's
    > say 30 minutes , it becomes slow... it tries to connect to http but it
    > fails, it keeps saying trying to to connect to *something*.Mail is also
    > not able to connect again.
    > The only option left is to close the mail account and browser and let
    > the quick start again. I use no proxies or whatever and no restrictions
    > in my firewall rules.Th is problem persist even with the firewall disabled.
    >
    > I really love this browser but this problem is very annoying, does
    > anyone kwow what the problem is?
    >
    > kind regards
    >
    > Irene

    Irene

    A little more information would be of assistance. How fast is
    your processor, and how much RAM do you have for starters. How much
    free space do you have on the HD? What system?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Sep 8, 2004

  3. Sentinel69

    default Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 20:23:44 +0200, Sentinel69 <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >I use Mozilla 1.7
    >Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; nl-NL; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040616
    >
    >At first it works just fine but after some surfing and mailing ,let's
    >say 30 minutes , it becomes slow... it tries to connect to http but it
    >fails, it keeps saying trying to to connect to *something*.Mail is also
    >not able to connect again.
    >The only option left is to close the mail account and browser and let
    >the quick start again. I use no proxies or whatever and no restrictions
    >in my firewall rules.Th is problem persist even with the firewall disabled.
    >
    >I really love this browser but this problem is very annoying, does
    >anyone kwow what the problem is?
    >
    >kind regards
    >
    >Irene

    What kind of connection/modem are you using?

    When did the problem fires occur? Was any change made to the system
    coincident with the problem?

    Are you sure it is Mozilla and not your ISP? No other browsers show
    that symptom (particularly after Mozilla has slowed?)

    Do you have any software that indicates the transfer (up and download)
    of your system? I use something called DU meter that gives a
    graphical indication of speed . . . very handy for your sort of
    problem.

    Last but not least, any other software running? Are you sure? (no
    spyware, trojans, ad-loading software, automatic updates, usenet
    binary downloaders, file sharing, etc)

    default, Sep 8, 2004
  4. Sentinel69

    Sentinel69 Guest

    default schreef:

    > What kind of connection/modem are you using?
    >
    > When did the problem fires occur? Was any change made to the system
    > coincident with the problem?
    >
    > Are you sure it is Mozilla and not your ISP? No other browsers show
    > that symptom (particularly after Mozilla has slowed?)
    >
    > Do you have any software that indicates the transfer (up and download)
    > of your system? I use something called DU meter that gives a
    > graphical indication of speed . . . very handy for your sort of
    > problem.
    >
    > Last but not least, any other software running? Are you sure? (no
    > spyware, trojans, ad-loading software, automatic updates, usenet
    > binary downloaders, file sharing, etc)

    I have a DSL connection.
    This problem was from the moment I installed it...and it also did occur
    on a brandnew install of Win2K .
    The IE browser works fine if mozilla refuse it again, so I guess it is
    not a problem with my connection.
    A minimized window becomes very slow when it is resized and I am not
    able to go anywhere with it.I think it is problem with memory usage. At
    the specific moment I see no upload or download , the only thing I see
    is a hourglass and even no time out after a few seconds.

    No , i have no spyware or file sharing on...only spybot resident shield
    , AVG antivirus ,bluetooth and a sygate pro firewall .
    I have a pentium3 550 mhz machine with 655 kB RAM .
    And don't say it's because I use a old pc because on my old laptop (500
    mhz ) this version of mozilla is running fine.

    kind regards,
    Irene

    Sentinel69, Sep 8, 2004
  5. Sentinel69

    default Guest

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:32:02 +0200, Sentinel69 <>
    wrote:

    >I have a DSL connection.
    >This problem was from the moment I installed it...and it also did occur
    >on a brandnew install of Win2K .

    The same problems you see are on two different computers? Or are you
    saying the problem was there and you reinstalled 2K, and the problem
    remains

    >The IE browser works fine if mozilla refuse it again, so I guess it is
    >not a problem with my connection.

    That's logical.

    >A minimized window becomes very slow when it is resized and I am not
    >able to go anywhere with it.I think it is problem with memory usage. At
    >the specific moment I see no upload or download , the only thing I see
    >is a hourglass and even no time out after a few seconds.
    >
    >No , i have no spyware or file sharing on...only spybot resident shield
    >, AVG antivirus ,bluetooth and a sygate pro firewall .
    >I have a pentium3 550 mhz machine with 655 kB RAM .

    One assumes you meant Mega Bytes of RAM? Have you tried shutting down
    the Anti Virus? I don't know about AVG but AV in general can really
    slow a system (not with IE - but there's still the possibility that it
    doesn't play well with Moz).

    You've already said it is slow with the firewall off.

    >And don't say it's because I use a old pc because on my old laptop (500
    >mhz ) this version of mozilla is running fine.

    Not in a position to say your 'puter is slow. I'm typing this on an
    overclocked Celeron 333 MHZ with 320 MB RAM Windows ME. I only type
    at a little over 40 WPM, and unless I'm burning a disk and downloading
    binaries at the same time, the computer is still faster than I.

    Moz works faster than any other browser I use, even on this slow
    system.

    Your thinking is logical; you sound like you are making the right
    moves to resolve the problem. Your observation about resizing windows
    is interesting. Is the converse also true? Don't minimize and the
    problem is not there? Likewise, how is the tabbed browsing working
    for you?

    Have you tried to reinstall Moz?

    What is the pedigree of the Moz program itself? Did you download or
    buy the disk? Have you tried a fresh download? (assuming what you
    have may be corrupt)

    Any extra plugins or extensions?

    When the mail is slow - are you using the Moz mail client? Usenet
    too?

    Take care
    bob

    default, Sep 8, 2004
  6. Sentinel69

    Sentinel69 Guest

    default schreef:
    > On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:32:02 +0200, Sentinel69 <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I have a DSL connection.
    >>This problem was from the moment I installed it...and it also did occur
    >>on a brandnew install of Win2K .

    > The same problems you see are on two different computers? Or are you
    > saying the problem was there and you reinstalled 2K, and the problem
    > remains

    No , I meant only on one computer.

    >>The IE browser works fine if mozilla refuse it again, so I guess it is
    >>not a problem with my connection.

    > That's logical.
    >

    >>A minimized window becomes very slow when it is resized and I am not
    >>able to go anywhere with it.I think it is problem with memory usage. At
    >>the specific moment I see no upload or download , the only thing I see
    >>is a hourglass and even no time out after a few seconds.
    >>
    >>No , i have no spyware or file sharing on...only spybot resident shield
    >>, AVG antivirus ,bluetooth and a sygate pro firewall .
    >>I have a pentium3 550 mhz machine with 655 kB RAM .

    > One assumes you meant Mega Bytes of RAM? Have you tried shutting down
    > the Anti Virus? I don't know about AVG but AV in general can really
    > slow a system (not with IE - but there's still the possibility that it
    > doesn't play well with Moz).

    The previous install was Norton.After that AVG ..no difference in the
    behaviour of Mozilla..

    > You've already said it is slow with the firewall off.
    >

    >>And don't say it's because I use a old pc because on my old laptop (500
    >>mhz ) this version of mozilla is running fine.

    > Not in a position to say your 'puter is slow. I'm typing this on an
    > overclocked Celeron 333 MHZ with 320 MB RAM Windows ME. I only type
    > at a little over 40 WPM, and unless I'm burning a disk and downloading
    > binaries at the same time, the computer is still faster than I.
    >
    > Moz works faster than any other browser I use, even on this slow
    > system.
    >

    > Your thinking is logical; you sound like you are making the right
    > moves to resolve the problem. Your observation about resizing windows
    > is interesting. Is the converse also true? Don't minimize and the
    > problem is not there? Likewise, how is the tabbed browsing working
    > for you?

    I am not able to use tabbed browsing typically enough.
    When I don't open that minimized window but open a new one the slowdown
    is also in the new window,almost dead ,same probs .Maybe it has
    somtehing to do with the quickstart? Again, the only option to get
    mozilla working again is close all windows and also mail and wait until
    the quickstart icon appears again in the tray.

    > Have you tried to reinstall Moz?

    After this one, no ,i gues i have no other choice than upgrading.

    > What is the pedigree of the Moz program itself? Did you download or
    > buy the disk? Have you tried a fresh download? (assuming what you
    > have may be corrupt)

    I'm sorry ,but I don't understand the word pedigree , english is not my
    primary language.
    I did download this version twice.

    > Any extra plugins or extensions?

    Shockwave .

    > When the mail is slow - are you using the Moz mail client? Usenet
    > too?

    Yes, i am using the mozilla email client , I use this also for reading a
    very few text based newsgroups , not for downloading music and so on.

    > Take care
    > bob

    Kind regards,
    Irene

    Sentinel69, Sep 9, 2004
  7. Sentinel69

    default Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 14:44:40 +0200, Sentinel69 <>
    wrote:

    >default schreef:
    >> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:32:02 +0200, Sentinel69 <>

    snipped

    >The previous install was Norton.After that AVG ..no difference in the
    >behaviour of Mozilla..

    I had NAV and ended up ditching it. Really slows Internet when fully
    enabled. The final insult was when using the automatic update in NAV,
    it trashed my file allocation table (essentially doing just what it
    was supposed to protect me from) I don't use any antivirus except to
    scan a suspect file now and then.

    >I am not able to use tabbed browsing typically enough.

    Tabbed browsing is another way to minimize that page and switch
    between pages - so I was wondering if using it slows the browser.

    >When I don't open that minimized window but open a new one the slowdown
    >is also in the new window,almost dead ,same probs .Maybe it has
    >somtehing to do with the quickstart?

    You got me there . . . what is "quick start?" something like the
    quick start tray? If you see an interaction there, close Moz and try
    it straight from the program files.

    On my system - yours may be different:

    c:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe

    double click the executable file and see if it starts and runs
    normally.

    Again, the only option to get
    >mozilla working again is close all windows and also mail and wait until
    >the quickstart icon appears again in the tray.
    >

    >> Have you tried to reinstall Moz?

    >After this one, no ,i gues i have no other choice than upgrading.
    >>
    >> What is the pedigree of the Moz program itself? Did you download or
    >> buy the disk? Have you tried a fresh download? (assuming what you
    >> have may be corrupt)

    >I'm sorry ,but I don't understand the word pedigree , english is not my
    >primary language.
    >I did download this version twice.

    Sorry. By pedigree I meant its lineage . . . did it come from a
    reliable source? I bought the disks, but didn't have problems with
    downloaded versions either.

    >> Any extra plugins or extensions?

    >Shockwave .

    I'd certainly try disabling Shockwave . . . Do you find it useful? I
    won't have it on my system - too many advertisers seem to think I
    really want to see a long bloated sales pitch. Shockwave files are
    slow to load.

    I'm also assuming that the slow down happens with all web sites?

    >> When the mail is slow - are you using the Moz mail client? Usenet
    >> too?

    >Yes, i am using the mozilla email client , I use this also for reading a
    >very few text based newsgroups , not for downloading music and so on.

    If I were having your problems I think my next option would be to load
    Firefox and try running that (right out of the box - so to speak) If
    it asks if you want to transfer profiles or keep Mozilla settings say
    "no." I have and use it, but can't remember what the installation
    choices were.

    "Firefox" is Mozilla without the mail client (smaller and faster

    http://www.mozilla.org/

    I'm running Moz without the mail client installed and still use my old
    Netscape Messenger for mail.

    Try disabling shockwave first, and then try the Firefox browser with
    no options installed.

    If one of those things doesn't work . . . I'm out of ideas.

    Sounds like the thing may be looking for a helper application and
    running into a problem.

    In that case, go to http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38
    and try asking there

    good luck
    bob

    default, Sep 9, 2004
  8. Sentinel69

    Sentinel69 Guest

    default schreef:
    > On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 14:44:40 +0200, Sentinel69 <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>default schreef:
    >>
    >>>On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:32:02 +0200, Sentinel69 <>

    > snipped
    >
    >>The previous install was Norton.After that AVG ..no difference in the
    >>behaviour of Mozilla..

    > I had NAV and ended up ditching it. Really slows Internet when fully
    > enabled. The final insult was when using the automatic update in NAV,
    > it trashed my file allocation table (essentially doing just what it
    > was supposed to protect me from) I don't use any antivirus except to
    > scan a suspect file now and then.

    NAV only checks mail from outlook and netscape and did not work for
    Mozilla. I don't scan my mail ,I never open strange mails , I never had
    a virus.I'm just not curious.

    >>I am not able to use tabbed browsing typically enough.

    > Tabbed browsing is another way to minimize that page and switch
    > between pages - so I was wondering if using it slows the browser.
    >

    >>When I don't open that minimized window but open a new one the slowdown
    >>is also in the new window,almost dead ,same probs .Maybe it has
    >>somtehing to do with the quickstart?

    > You got me there . . . what is "quick start?" something like the
    > quick start tray? If you see an interaction there, close Moz and try
    > it straight from the program files.
    >
    > On my system - yours may be different:
    >
    > c:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe
    >
    > double click the executable file and see if it starts and runs
    > normally.

    Quickstart keeps Mozilla in the memory so it starts faster without flash
    screen.But I wil try to start it the way you mentioned.

    > Again, the only option to get
    >
    >>mozilla working again is close all windows and also mail and wait until
    >>the quickstart icon appears again in the tray.
    >>

    >>>Have you tried to reinstall Moz?

    >>After this one, no ,i gues i have no other choice than upgrading.
    >>
    >>>What is the pedigree of the Moz program itself? Did you download or
    >>>buy the disk? Have you tried a fresh download? (assuming what you
    >>>have may be corrupt)

    >>I'm sorry ,but I don't understand the word pedigree , english is not my
    >>primary language.
    >>I did download this version twice.

    > Sorry. By pedigree I meant its lineage . . . did it come from a
    > reliable source? I bought the disks, but didn't have problems with
    > downloaded versions either.

    I downloaded it from the official mozilla.org page .So quite reliable I
    guess.

    >>>Any extra plugins or extensions?

    >>Shockwave .
    >>

    > I'd certainly try disabling Shockwave . . . Do you find it useful? I
    > won't have it on my system - too many advertisers seem to think I
    > really want to see a long bloated sales pitch. Shockwave files are
    > slow to load.

    Well ,I experience no problems with flash and shockwave, they load fast
    http://users.pandora.be/stefdirrix/flash/ruzie.htm

    > I'm also assuming that the slow down happens with all web sites?

    Yes .

    >>>When the mail is slow - are you using the Moz mail client? Usenet
    >>>too?

    >>Yes, i am using the mozilla email client , I use this also for reading a
    >>very few text based newsgroups , not for downloading music and so on.

    > If I were having your problems I think my next option would be to load
    > Firefox and try running that (right out of the box - so to speak) If
    > it asks if you want to transfer profiles or keep Mozilla settings say
    > "no." I have and use it, but can't remember what the installation
    > choices were.
    >
    > "Firefox" is Mozilla without the mail client (smaller and faster
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/

    But I don't want all things seperate ...

    > I'm running Moz without the mail client installed and still use my old
    > Netscape Messenger for mail.
    >
    > Try disabling shockwave first, and then try the Firefox browser with
    > no options installed.
    >
    > If one of those things doesn't work . . . I'm out of ideas.
    >
    > Sounds like the thing may be looking for a helper application and
    > running into a problem.
    >
    > In that case, go to http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38
    > and try asking there
    >
    > good luck
    > bob

    Thank you very much for your time Bob :)

    Kind regards

    Irene

    Sentinel69, Sep 9, 2004
  9. Sentinel69 wrote:

> [...]

    >> "no." I have and use it, but can't remember what the installation
    >> choices were.
    >>
    >> "Firefox" is Mozilla without the mail client (smaller and faster
    >>
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/

    > But I don't want all things seperate ...
    >

    >> I'm running Moz without the mail client installed and still use my old
    >> Netscape Messenger for mail.
    >> Try disabling shockwave first, and then try the Firefox browser with
    >> no options installed.
    >>
    >> If one of those things doesn't work . . . I'm out of ideas.
    >> Sounds like the thing may be looking for a helper application and
    >> running into a problem.
    >>
    >> In that case, go to http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38
    >> and try asking there
    >>
    >> good luck
    >> bob

    > Thank you very much for your time Bob :)

    There have been lots of reports that Quick Launch (aka quickstart)
    causes lots of problems. Most find that Moz launches just as fast if
    not faster than using Quick Launch.

    Andreas

    Panjandrum -- http://www.bartleby.com/61/47/P0044700.html

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM

    Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum, Sep 9, 2004
  10. Sentinel69

    default Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:37:08 +0200, Sentinel69 <>
    wrote:

    >But I don't want all things seperate ...

    No, the idea is to see what works and what doesn't. This is only a
    troubleshooting technique . . . With logical troubleshooting you
    generally look at all of the symptoms (this would be another symptom -
    it works or doesn't work) then you try to think of a single problem
    that will cause all the symptoms you have.

    But for troubleshooting; disable the quick launch (exit the program)
    and launch directly from the executable and see if it works - if it
    does, that says quick launch is the problem. And we deal with that .
    .. .

    Ditto the shockwave flash. disable that plugin (temporarily) and see
    if that works.

    The idea is to isolate the problem. Minimize the variables. If you
    can make it work, you begin adding things until it dies.

    Generally speaking, troubleshooting becomes exponentially more
    difficult with more problems. One problem is 1X hard to fix, two
    problems may be 10X harder to fix.

    You already noticed minimizing windows causes the problem - that's a
    good observation; you noticed some possible interaction with quick
    launch - another good observation and worth checking further. (and if
    you post to another forum - mention these things)

    Andreas, says that quick launch has caused problems with Moz . . .
    another clue . . .

    As another general rule, fewer running programs makes for a faster
    system - that would seem to contraindicate the usefulness of quick
    launch. If the first thing you do is go online immediately after
    powering on the computer - you can always put it in your windows start
    up file and let it launch with windows.

    Don't give up
    bob

    default, Sep 10, 2004
  11. Sentinel69

    Nobody Guest

    wrote:

    >default schreef:
    >> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 14:44:40 +0200, Sentinel69 <>
    >> wrote:

    >> snipped
    >>
    >>>The previous install was Norton.After that AVG ..no difference in the
    >>>behaviour of Mozilla..

    >> I had NAV and ended up ditching it. Really slows Internet when fully
    >> enabled. The final insult was when using the automatic update in NAV,
    >> it trashed my file allocation table (essentially doing just what it
    >> was supposed to protect me from) I don't use any antivirus except to
    >> scan a suspect file now and then.

    >NAV only checks mail from outlook and netscape and did not work for
    >Mozilla. I don't scan my mail ,I never open strange mails , I never had
    >a virus.I'm just not curious.

    NAV version 09.05.15 works fine here with Moz 1.7.2... doesn't slow
    anything AND it checks incoming and outgoing mail routinely, catching
    plenty of incoming spam attempts containing lots of nasties.

    Nobody, Sep 10, 2004
  12. Sentinel69

    Sentinel69 Guest

    default schreef:
    > On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:37:08 +0200, Sentinel69 <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>But I don't want all things seperate ...

    > No, the idea is to see what works and what doesn't. This is only a
    > troubleshooting technique . . . With logical troubleshooting you
    > generally look at all of the symptoms (this would be another symptom -
    > it works or doesn't work) then you try to think of a single problem
    > that will cause all the symptoms you have.
    >
    > But for troubleshooting; disable the quick launch (exit the program)
    > and launch directly from the executable and see if it works - if it
    > does, that says quick launch is the problem. And we deal with that .
    > . .
    >
    > Ditto the shockwave flash. disable that plugin (temporarily) and see
    > if that works.
    >
    > The idea is to isolate the problem. Minimize the variables. If you
    > can make it work, you begin adding things until it dies.
    >
    > Generally speaking, troubleshooting becomes exponentially more
    > difficult with more problems. One problem is 1X hard to fix, two
    > problems may be 10X harder to fix.
    >
    > You already noticed minimizing windows causes the problem - that's a
    > good observation; you noticed some possible interaction with quick
    > launch - another good observation and worth checking further. (and if
    > you post to another forum - mention these things)
    >
    > Andreas, says that quick launch has caused problems with Moz . . .
    > another clue . . .
    >
    > As another general rule, fewer running programs makes for a faster
    > system - that would seem to contraindicate the usefulness of quick
    > launch. If the first thing you do is go online immediately after
    > powering on the computer - you can always put it in your windows start
    > up file and let it launch with windows.
    >
    > Don't give up
    > bob

    The cause is almost absolute the quickstart option, I disabled it and
    left some windows open and some minimized and did not do anything with
    it for an hour.Still all is running smooth, the problem is finally
    solved! Thanks! :)

    kind regards,
    Irene

    --
    "Greed will be your Downfall"
    Http://www.sentinel69.cjb.net

    Sentinel69, Sep 10, 2004
  13. Sentinel69

    default Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:34:41 +0200, Sentinel69 <>
    wrote:
    snipped

    >The cause is almost absolute the quickstart option, I disabled it and
    >left some windows open and some minimized and did not do anything with
    >it for an hour.Still all is running smooth, the problem is finally
    >solved! Thanks! :)

    Great. Good going.

    Take care
    bob

    I had another thought (now unnecessary, since you know the cause) I
    would bet that if you were to open the systems tools "resource
    monitor" you would find something like 100% CPU usage while it was in
    the slow mode.

    default, Sep 10, 2004
  14. Sentinel69

    default Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:59:18 GMT, Nobody <> wrote:

    >NAV version 09.05.15 works fine here with Moz 1.7.2... doesn't slow
    >anything AND it checks incoming and outgoing mail routinely, catching
    >plenty of incoming spam attempts containing lots of nasties.

    Do you get much of that stuff? Email nasties that is . . .

    I don't get any (nada, zip, nothing) spam, and caution all of my
    relatives not to send me any "web cards" or enter my real email
    address on any forms.

    No problems.

    default, Sep 10, 2004
  15. Sentinel69

    Nobody Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:51:46 -0400, default <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:59:18 GMT, Nobody <> wrote:
    >
    >>NAV version 09.05.15 works fine here with Moz 1.7.2... doesn't slow
    >>anything AND it checks incoming and outgoing mail routinely, catching
    >>plenty of incoming spam attempts containing lots of nasties.

    >Do you get much of that stuff? Email nasties that is . . .
    >
    >I don't get any (nada, zip, nothing) spam, and caution all of my
    >relatives not to send me any "web cards" or enter my real email
    >address on any forms.
    >
    >No problems.

    Oh, my REAL email address got "out" after a buddy's address book was
    hacked.

    If you've looked at any of my previous threads/posts, you may have
    noticed I managed to use Moz to zap all unwanted SPAM into "junk" but
    those messages still have to come through the "system". Moz and NAV
    do.a superb job.

    My wonder is: when will the launchers of "Netsky" just give up???

    Nobody, Sep 11, 2004
  16. Sentinel69

    default Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 01:21:39 GMT, Nobody <> wrote:

    snip

    >Oh, my REAL email address got "out" after a buddy's address book was
    >hacked.
    >
    >If you've looked at any of my previous threads/posts, you may have
    >noticed I managed to use Moz to zap all unwanted SPAM into "junk" but
    >those messages still have to come through the "system". Moz and NAV
    >do.a superb job.
    >
    >My wonder is: when will the launchers of "Netsky" just give up???

    I put a web based email address in my reply to address and check it
    daily - a hassle, but worth it.

    I caution all my friends using outlook not to put my real address in
    the address book, my friends on Earthlink, AOL, Compuserve don't get
    my real address . . . No commercial site gets the real address under
    any circumstance, ever. If a friend isn't reasonably computer savvy,
    they don't get the address.

    I haven't had spam in my real address in over ten years now.

    The next step may be to rent a domain name and set up mailboxes with
    forwarding capability, then add and delete user names for specific
    reasons - cost $15 for 100 such boxes.

    When it comes to eliminating spam, I tend to go overboard . . .
    There's already enough useless advertising in my life.

    default, Sep 11, 2004