    Jim

    Tyneside - North East of England
    To email me directly omit the X from my address

    Jim Scott, Nov 9, 2004

  2. This has been a bone of contention for a long time now. Netscape 4 used
    to behave like this. If you had the mail notification turned on, it
    would start up, even if all you opened was the browser.

    Mozilla, for some reason won't check mail until you open up the mail
    window. Many people have asked for mail notification to work whenever
    Mozilla is running, but the developers always say something like "some
    people may not want it to work that way".

    Hmmm, if only there was a way for the user to choose how the program is
    to behave. Perhaps, in some distant future, they will invent a method
    for a program to behave one way for one user and another way for someone
    else. Maybe these users could "set" this behavior themselves, with some
    sort of "setting"! What a wonderful day it will be, when that finally
    comes to pass. In the words of Christopher Lloyd, from Who Framed Roger
    Rabbit, "my god, it'll be beautiful". </SMARTASS>

    Brian

    Brian E Clough, Nov 10, 2004

  3. Brian E Clough wrote:
    > This has been a bone of contention for a long time now. Netscape 4 used
    > to behave like this. If you had the mail notification turned on, it
    > would start up, even if all you opened was the browser.
    >
    > Mozilla, for some reason won't check mail until you open up the mail
    > window. Many people have asked for mail notification to work whenever
    > Mozilla is running, but the developers always say something like "some
    > people may not want it to work that way".
    >
    > Hmmm, if only there was a way for the user to choose how the program is
    > to behave. Perhaps, in some distant future, they will invent a method
    > for a program to behave one way for one user and another way for someone
    > else. Maybe these users could "set" this behavior themselves, with some
    > sort of "setting"! What a wonderful day it will be, when that finally
    > comes to pass. In the words of Christopher Lloyd, from Who Framed Roger
    > Rabbit, "my god, it'll be beautiful". </SMARTASS>
    >
    > Brian
    >

    > Jim Scott wrote:
    >
    >> I am comparing Mozilla with T’bird+F’fox.
    >> Is there a way of setting Mozilla to check mail without actually
    >> opening up the mail client part?
    >> Currently I use an email notifier (Poppy) to do this.

    As a note, cross posting is contrary to the mozilla.org server's posted
    ettiquette.

    I have alt.fan.mozilla set on another server, and the cross post is
    therefore denied, making it more useless. This reply will only be seen
    in alt.fan.mozilla.

    Try another open source program, PopTray:

    www.poptray.org

    Its an outstanding email notifier, and allows ytou to delete messages
    from the server. You can run custom filters to deltee spam, and create
    whitelist/blacklist.

    I have no idea how I managed email before I discovered PopTray. Its far
    better then any built in motifier is likely to be.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 10, 2004
  4. Interestingly enough, when you open "mail" in Firefox, the first option reads,
    "Read Mail (0 new)." Someone seems to be planning what you suggest for sometime
    in the future, perhaps with Thunderbird?

    "Jim Scott" <> wrote in message
    : I am comparing Mozilla with T'bird+F'fox.
    : Is there a way of setting Mozilla to check mail without actually opening up
    : the mail client part?
    : Currently I use an email notifier (Poppy) to do this.
    : --
    : Jim
    :

    Steve Franklin, Nov 14, 2004