Mozilla and JPEGs

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by James, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. James

    James Guest

    I just downloaded Mozilla 1.4, and notice that it is being utterly
    stupid about opening JPEGs.

    First of all, if you have a JPEG on a web page, it displays just find.

    So, you'd think if you opened up a URL to content-type JPEG, it would
    display it...BUT NO!!

    It comes up with a dialog saying it doesn't know how to open the file,
    and prompts you how you want to open it.

    IT GETS BETTER!!

    There's a checkbox at the bottom of this dialog that says "don't ask
    me again". IT DON'T WORK!!!!

    That nuisance dialog keeps coming back every stinking time even though
    I uncheck the box so it won't ask me again.

    Better yet, the link to the JPEG is set up as "open in a new browser
    window" i.e. - target="_base". So not only do you get grief in the
    form of a moronic dialog, but you also get new browser windows
    sprouting up over and over and over again.

    Anybody know how to fix this???

    -J
    James, Jul 5, 2003

  2. James

    Gunther Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I just downloaded Mozilla 1.4, and notice that it is being utterly
    > stupid about opening JPEGs.
    >
    > First of all, if you have a JPEG on a web page, it displays just find.
    >
    > So, you'd think if you opened up a URL to content-type JPEG, it would
    > display it...BUT NO!!
    >
    > It comes up with a dialog saying it doesn't know how to open the file,
    > and prompts you how you want to open it.
    >
    > IT GETS BETTER!!
    >
    > There's a checkbox at the bottom of this dialog that says "don't ask
    > me again". IT DON'T WORK!!!!
    >
    > That nuisance dialog keeps coming back every stinking time even though
    > I uncheck the box so it won't ask me again.
    >
    > Better yet, the link to the JPEG is set up as "open in a new browser
    > window" i.e. - target="_base". So not only do you get grief in the
    > form of a moronic dialog, but you also get new browser windows
    > sprouting up over and over and over again.
    >
    > Anybody know how to fix this???

    It all works fine on my system, moz daily build 1.5a-0704 on WinXP.
    Gunther, Jul 6, 2003

  3. James <> wrote:

    >So not only do you get grief in the
    >form of a moronic dialog, but you also get new browser windows
    >sprouting up over and over and over again.
    >
    >Anybody know how to fix this???

    Wow; at least I don't have _that_. It requests of me instructions
    for .zip file disposition at least once per session. I'd like to know,
    too.
    --
    Derald Martin
    Derald Martin, Jul 6, 2003
  4. James

    Brian Fairey Guest

    Yes go back to 1.0.2 thats what I did and everything has worked fine since.
    Brian.

    Brian Fairey, Jul 6, 2003
  5. James

    Serengeti Guest

    > I just downloaded Mozilla 1.4, and notice that it is being utterly
    > stupid about opening JPEGs.
    >
    > First of all, if you have a JPEG on a web page, it displays just find.
    >
    > So, you'd think if you opened up a URL to content-type JPEG, it would
    > display it...BUT NO!!
    >
    > It comes up with a dialog saying it doesn't know how to open the file,
    > and prompts you how you want to open it.
    >
    > IT GETS BETTER!!
    >
    > There's a checkbox at the bottom of this dialog that says "don't ask
    > me again". IT DON'T WORK!!!!
    >
    > That nuisance dialog keeps coming back every stinking time even though
    > I uncheck the box so it won't ask me again.
    >
    > Better yet, the link to the JPEG is set up as "open in a new browser
    > window" i.e. - target="_base". So not only do you get grief in the
    > form of a moronic dialog, but you also get new browser windows
    > sprouting up over and over and over again.
    >
    > Anybody know how to fix this???
    >
    > -J

    I've heard it happens when your server sends incorrect content type to
    Mozilla. Mozilla doesn't recognize file types by their extensions but it
    trusts the information sent by a web server. It may seem strange but
    it's the way recommended by W3C.
    So I think you should contact the administrator of the web page you're
    experiencing problems with and ask them to fix their server's configuration.

    Cheers,
    Serengeti

    --
    "No, no! Sam, you old ass!" said Frodo.