    --
    Please do not reply to this Email address
    All Emails are deleted upon receipt.
    Broadback, Dec 5, 2005

  2. Broadback

    zutroi Guest

    Broadback wrote:
    > Is it me, my machine or Mozilla? After accessing web pages for a while,
    > especially opening and closing tabs, when downloading pages they just
    > stick displaying "downloading" and a blank page, there is no sign of
    > activity on my router. I need to close Mozilla completely to get it to
    > recover, even sometimes needing to reboot my computer. any suggestions
    > please?

    do you have any extensions installed? i too have this problem,
    albeit intermittently. since there aren't too many of us with this
    problem, i'm thinking that maybe we have just the right (or wrong)
    combination of extensions installed. other than this hiccup, i love
    my Firefox.
    zutroi, Dec 6, 2005

  3. Broadback

    Broadback Guest

    zutroi wrote:

    > Broadback wrote:
    >
    >> Is it me, my machine or Mozilla? After accessing web pages for a
    >> while, especially opening and closing tabs, when downloading pages
    >> they just stick displaying "downloading" and a blank page, there is no
    >> sign of activity on my router. I need to close Mozilla completely to
    >> get it to recover, even sometimes needing to reboot my computer. any
    >> suggestions please?

    > do you have any extensions installed? i too have this problem, albeit
    > intermittently. since there aren't too many of us with this problem, i'm
    > thinking that maybe we have just the right (or wrong) combination of
    > extensions installed. other than this hiccup, i love my Firefox.

    By extensions do you mean plugins? Problem is I am not certain what I
    have and have not installed, called memory drain! Is there a way to find
    out? I know I have UK English spell checker and Java, probably others
    that do not come readily to mind.

    Broadback, Dec 6, 2005
  4. Broadback wrote:
    > zutroi wrote:
    >
    >> Broadback wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it me, my machine or Mozilla? After accessing web pages for a
    >>> while, especially opening and closing tabs, when downloading pages
    >>> they just stick displaying "downloading" and a blank page, there is
    >>> no sign of activity on my router. I need to close Mozilla completely
    >>> to get it to recover, even sometimes needing to reboot my computer.
    >>> any suggestions please?

    >> do you have any extensions installed? i too have this problem, albeit
    >> intermittently. since there aren't too many of us with this problem,
    >> i'm thinking that maybe we have just the right (or wrong) combination
    >> of extensions installed. other than this hiccup, i love my Firefox.
    >>

    > By extensions do you mean plugins? Problem is I am not certain what I
    > have and have not installed, called memory drain! Is there a way to find
    > out? I know I have UK English spell checker and Java, probably others
    > that do not come readily to mind.

    Plugins and extensions are completely different. A plugin is a separate
    program that works with the browser, such as Java, Flash, Quick Time,
    etc. An extension is code added to Mozilla to allow additional
    functionality.

    Unfortunately, in Mozilla, there is no easy way to see what extensions
    you may have installed. Firefox has an Extensions Manager that will
    list all the extensions.

    If you think you may have installed some extensions, but are not sure,
    you can go to the following site:

    http://mozmonkey.com/

    If you install the Extensions Manager extension, and Extension
    Uninstaller API, you should see a list of installed extensions, and be
    able to uninstall them.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 6, 2005
  5. Broadback

    Broadback Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Broadback wrote:
    >
    >> zutroi wrote:

    >>> do you have any extensions installed? i too have this problem, albeit
    >>> intermittently. since there aren't too many of us with this problem,
    >>> i'm thinking that maybe we have just the right (or wrong) combination
    >>> of extensions installed. other than this hiccup, i love my Firefox.
    >>>

    >> By extensions do you mean plugins? Problem is I am not certain what I
    >> have and have not installed, called memory drain! Is there a way to
    >> find out? I know I have UK English spell checker and Java, probably
    >> others that do not come readily to mind.
    >>

    > Plugins and extensions are completely different. A plugin is a separate
    > program that works with the browser, such as Java, Flash, Quick Time,
    > etc. An extension is code added to Mozilla to allow additional
    > functionality.
    >
    > Unfortunately, in Mozilla, there is no easy way to see what extensions
    > you may have installed. Firefox has an Extensions Manager that will
    > list all the extensions.
    >
    > If you think you may have installed some extensions, but are not sure,
    > you can go to the following site:
    >
    > http://mozmonkey.com/
    >
    > If you install the Extensions Manager extension, and Extension
    > Uninstaller API, you should see a list of installed extensions, and be
    > able to uninstall them.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks, Leonidas, so I have the following Extensions:
    Chatzilla 0.9.6.1
    Multizilla
    Quote Collapse
    Smiley Xtra
    SpellBound 0.7.3
    And now of course Extension Manager and Etension Uninstaller, added
    after problem. Does that help zutrio?
    Anyone any ideas please?

    Broadback, Dec 9, 2005
  6. Broadback wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Broadback wrote:

    >>> By extensions do you mean plugins? Problem is I am not certain what
    >>> I have and have not installed, called memory drain! Is there a way to
    >>> find out? I know I have UK English spell checker and Java, probably
    >>> others that do not come readily to mind.
    >>>

    >> Plugins and extensions are completely different. A plugin is a
    >> separate program that works with the browser, such as Java, Flash,
    >> Quick Time, etc. An extension is code added to Mozilla to allow
    >> additional functionality.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, in Mozilla, there is no easy way to see what extensions
    >> you may have installed. Firefox has an Extensions Manager that will
    >> list all the extensions.
    >>
    >> If you think you may have installed some extensions, but are not
    >> sure, you can go to the following site:
    >>
    >> http://mozmonkey.com/
    >>
    >> If you install the Extensions Manager extension, and Extension
    >> Uninstaller API, you should see a list of installed extensions, and be
    >> able to uninstall them.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Thanks, Leonidas, so I have the following Extensions:
    > Chatzilla 0.9.6.1
    > Multizilla
    > Quote Collapse
    > Smiley Xtra
    > SpellBound 0.7.3
    > And now of course Extension Manager and Etension Uninstaller, added
    > after problem. Does that help zutrio?
    > Anyone any ideas please?

    We are talking about the suite here, correct?

    Chatzilla is actually a suite component, though it displays as an
    extension. Multizilla I have experimented with, though I've decidded its
    not for me. The others I have never used.

    As far as the OP's experience, he wioll have to return to tell us his
    extensions, I guess.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 9, 2005
  7. Broadback

    gwtc Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Broadback wrote:

    >>>Plugins and extensions are completely different. A plugin is a
    >>>separate program that works with the browser, such as Java, Flash,
    >>>Quick Time, etc. An extension is code added to Mozilla to allow
    >>>additional functionality.
    >>>
    >>>Unfortunately, in Mozilla, there is no easy way to see what extensions
    >>>you may have installed. Firefox has an Extensions Manager that will
    >>>list all the extensions.
    >>>
    >>>If you think you may have installed some extensions, but are not
    >>>sure, you can go to the following site:
    >>>
    >>>http://mozmonkey.com/
    >>>
    >>>If you install the Extensions Manager extension, and Extension
    >>>Uninstaller API, you should see a list of installed extensions, and be
    >>>able to uninstall them.
    >>>
    >>>Lee

    >>Thanks, Leonidas, so I have the following Extensions:
    >>Chatzilla 0.9.6.1
    >>Multizilla
    >>Quote Collapse
    >>Smiley Xtra
    >>SpellBound 0.7.3
    >>And now of course Extension Manager and Etension Uninstaller, added
    >>after problem. Does that help zutrio?
    >>Anyone any ideas please?
    >>

    > We are talking about the suite here, correct?
    >
    > Chatzilla is actually a suite component, though it displays as an
    > extension. Multizilla I have experimented with, though I've decidded its
    > not for me. The others I have never used.
    >
    > As far as the OP's experience, he wioll have to return to tell us his
    > extensions, I guess.
    >
    > Lee

    Broadback IS the OP and he's talking about Moz 1.7.11; while zutroi is
    talking about FF.

    So, to Broadback, I don't see Multizilla listed in your UA. Which
    version are you running? Are you sure its installed?
    gwtc, Dec 9, 2005
  8. gwtc wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Broadback wrote:

    >>> Thanks, Leonidas, so I have the following Extensions:
    >>> Chatzilla 0.9.6.1
    >>> Multizilla
    >>> Quote Collapse
    >>> Smiley Xtra
    >>> SpellBound 0.7.3
    >>> And now of course Extension Manager and Etension Uninstaller, added
    >>> after problem. Does that help zutrio?
    >>> Anyone any ideas please?
    >>>

    >> We are talking about the suite here, correct?
    >>
    >> Chatzilla is actually a suite component, though it displays as an
    >> extension. Multizilla I have experimented with, though I've decidded
    >> its not for me. The others I have never used.
    >>
    >> As far as the OP's experience, he wioll have to return to tell us his
    >> extensions, I guess.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Broadback IS the OP and he's talking about Moz 1.7.11; while zutroi is
    > talking about FF.
    >
    > So, to Broadback, I don't see Multizilla listed in your UA. Which
    > version are you running? Are you sure its installed?

    Aha, I see where I became confused, thanks.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 10, 2005
  9. Broadback

    gwtc Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:

    >>>We are talking about the suite here, correct?
    >>>
    >>>Chatzilla is actually a suite component, though it displays as an
    >>>extension. Multizilla I have experimented with, though I've decidded
    >>>its not for me. The others I have never used.
    >>>
    >>>As far as the OP's experience, he wioll have to return to tell us his
    >>>extensions, I guess.
    >>>
    >>>Lee

    >>Broadback IS the OP and he's talking about Moz 1.7.11; while zutroi is
    >>talking about FF.
    >>
    >>So, to Broadback, I don't see Multizilla listed in your UA. Which
    >>version are you running? Are you sure its installed?

    > Aha, I see where I became confused, thanks.
    >
    > Lee

    It must be that Lee Virus thats going around. Not only does it affect
    ones typing, but it also causes brain farts. ;-)
    gwtc, Dec 10, 2005
  10. Broadback

    Broadback Guest

    gwtc wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Broadback wrote:

    >>> Thanks, Leonidas, so I have the following Extensions:
    >>> Chatzilla 0.9.6.1
    >>> Multizilla
    >>> Quote Collapse
    >>> Smiley Xtra
    >>> SpellBound 0.7.3
    >>> And now of course Extension Manager and Etension Uninstaller, added
    >>> after problem. Does that help zutrio?
    >>> Anyone any ideas please?
    >>>

    >> We are talking about the suite here, correct?
    >>
    >> Chatzilla is actually a suite component, though it displays as an
    >> extension. Multizilla I have experimented with, though I've decidded
    >> its not for me. The others I have never used.
    >>
    >> As far as the OP's experience, he wioll have to return to tell us his
    >> extensions, I guess.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Broadback IS the OP and he's talking about Moz 1.7.11; while zutroi is
    > talking about FF.
    >
    > So, to Broadback, I don't see Multizilla listed in your UA. Which
    > version are you running? Are you sure its installed?

    I am sorry to say that I am pig ignorant, that list I gave was a simple
    copy of the output from Extension Manager. I certainly cannot remember
    downloading Multizilla, I have Mozilla 1.7.11, that apart from Spell
    checker is all I remember downloading. Having looked up Multizilla it
    seems to be for tab browsing, which I do have, but I thought that was
    part of Mozilla anyway. Sorry to be so vague.

    Broadback, Dec 10, 2005
  11. Broadback wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:

    >>> We are talking about the suite here, correct?
    >>>
    >>> Chatzilla is actually a suite component, though it displays as an
    >>> extension. Multizilla I have experimented with, though I've decidded
    >>> its not for me. The others I have never used.
    >>>
    >>> As far as the OP's experience, he wioll have to return to tell us his
    >>> extensions, I guess.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Broadback IS the OP and he's talking about Moz 1.7.11; while zutroi is
    >> talking about FF.
    >>
    >> So, to Broadback, I don't see Multizilla listed in your UA. Which
    >> version are you running? Are you sure its installed?

    > I am sorry to say that I am pig ignorant, that list I gave was a simple
    > copy of the output from Extension Manager. I certainly cannot remember
    > downloading Multizilla, I have Mozilla 1.7.11, that apart from Spell
    > checker is all I remember downloading. Having looked up Multizilla it
    > seems to be for tab browsing, which I do have, but I thought that was
    > part of Mozilla anyway. Sorry to be so vague.

    basic tabbed browsing is inherent in Mozilla. Multizilla is an extension
    that adds an incredible number of functions, many related to tabbed
    browsing, but a lot more as well. It is such a huge extension, I don't
    think you would be likely to have installed it and not remember it.

    If you've ever had it in a profile, it can be very difficult to get rid
    of. Since your UA does not indicate Multi, you probably never had it.
    But why would the Extensions Manager extension be listing it? Very odd.

    Anyhow, to address your original problem, try creating a new profile,
    and see if the problem of Mozilla freezing goes away.

    Start>>Programs>>Mozilla>>Profile Manager.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 10, 2005
  12. Broadback

    gwtc Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Broadback wrote:
    >
    >>gwtc wrote:

    >>>Broadback IS the OP and he's talking about Moz 1.7.11; while zutroi is
    >>>talking about FF.
    >>>
    >>>So, to Broadback, I don't see Multizilla listed in your UA. Which
    >>>version are you running? Are you sure its installed?

    >>I am sorry to say that I am pig ignorant, that list I gave was a simple
    >>copy of the output from Extension Manager. I certainly cannot remember
    >>downloading Multizilla, I have Mozilla 1.7.11, that apart from Spell
    >>checker is all I remember downloading. Having looked up Multizilla it
    >>seems to be for tab browsing, which I do have, but I thought that was
    >>part of Mozilla anyway. Sorry to be so vague.
    >>

    > basic tabbed browsing is inherent in Mozilla. Multizilla is an extension
    > that adds an incredible number of functions, many related to tabbed
    > browsing, but a lot more as well. It is such a huge extension, I don't
    > think you would be likely to have installed it and not remember it.
    >
    > If you've ever had it in a profile, it can be very difficult to get rid
    > of. Since your UA does not indicate Multi, you probably never had it.
    > But why would the Extensions Manager extension be listing it? Very odd.
    >
    > Anyhow, to address your original problem, try creating a new profile,
    > and see if the problem of Mozilla freezing goes away.
    >
    > Start>>Programs>>Mozilla>>Profile Manager.
    >
    > Lee

    I believe I read somewhere that there is a Multizilla UA bug, that the
    UA is not being displayed properly.
    gwtc, Dec 11, 2005
  13. gwtc wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Broadback wrote:

    >>> I am sorry to say that I am pig ignorant, that list I gave was a
    >>> simple copy of the output from Extension Manager. I certainly cannot
    >>> remember downloading Multizilla, I have Mozilla 1.7.11, that apart
    >>> from Spell checker is all I remember downloading. Having looked up
    >>> Multizilla it seems to be for tab browsing, which I do have, but I
    >>> thought that was part of Mozilla anyway. Sorry to be so vague.
    >>>

    >> basic tabbed browsing is inherent in Mozilla. Multizilla is an
    >> extension that adds an incredible number of functions, many related to
    >> tabbed browsing, but a lot more as well. It is such a huge extension,
    >> I don't think you would be likely to have installed it and not
    >> remember it.
    >>
    >> If you've ever had it in a profile, it can be very difficult to get
    >> rid of. Since your UA does not indicate Multi, you probably never had
    >> it. But why would the Extensions Manager extension be listing it?
    >> Very odd.
    >>
    >> Anyhow, to address your original problem, try creating a new profile,
    >> and see if the problem of Mozilla freezing goes away.
    >>
    >> Start>>Programs>>Mozilla>>Profile Manager.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > I believe I read somewhere that there is a Multizilla UA bug, that the
    > UA is not being displayed properly.

    As a Multi user, you would know better then I.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 11, 2005
  14. Broadback

    Broadback Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:

    >>> basic tabbed browsing is inherent in Mozilla. Multizilla is an
    >>> extension that adds an incredible number of functions, many related
    >>> to tabbed browsing, but a lot more as well. It is such a huge
    >>> extension, I don't think you would be likely to have installed it and
    >>> not remember it.
    >>>
    >>> If you've ever had it in a profile, it can be very difficult to get
    >>> rid of. Since your UA does not indicate Multi, you probably never
    >>> had it. But why would the Extensions Manager extension be listing
    >>> it? Very odd.
    >>>
    >>> Anyhow, to address your original problem, try creating a new profile,
    >>> and see if the problem of Mozilla freezing goes away.
    >>>
    >>> Start>>Programs>>Mozilla>>Profile Manager.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> I believe I read somewhere that there is a Multizilla UA bug, that the
    >> UA is not being displayed properly.

    > As a Multi user, you would know better then I.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks for your help folks, I have now created a new profile and will
    try running that to browse and see how it goes.
    Cheers

    Broadback, Dec 11, 2005
  15. Broadback wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> I believe I read somewhere that there is a Multizilla UA bug, that
    >>> the UA is not being displayed properly.

    >> As a Multi user, you would know better then I.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Thanks for your help folks, I have now created a new profile and will
    > try running that to browse and see how it goes.
    > Cheers

    Keep up posted.

    Often, in cases like this, it is easier to migrate data and reinstall
    extensions in the new profile, then to continue trying to find the
    problem in the old profile.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 12, 2005