Mozilla 1.6B vs. Firebird 0.7

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Keith Bowes, Jan 6, 2004.

  1. Keith Bowes

    Keith Bowes Guest

    Bob C. wrote:
    > Thanks so much for your information. So if I like Outlook Express, then
    > Firebird's latest release would be a good choice I would think because of
    > the lack of email client included. Am I on the right track you think?

    Probably, if you don't mind buggy beta software. Though, it is possible
    to use Outlook Express with Mozilla (suite). How to do it is somewhere
    in the documentation. This may be an option if you want an MathML, HTML
    editor, IRC chat, developer tools, access to more preferences, or other
    things that have been stripped form Firebird.
    Keith Bowes, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Keith Bowes

    Bob C. Guest

    I have never used either of the above browsers but was interested in
    downloading something to use in place of Internet Explorer 6.x. What is the
    difference between the just plain ol' Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird? Do both
    have email built-in? Which of the two browsers is the best?

    Thanks much for your input,

    Bob C.
    Bob C., Jan 7, 2004

  3. Keith Bowes

    dantu Guest

    Bob C. wrote:

    >I have never used either of the above browsers but was interested in
    >downloading something to use in place of Internet Explorer 6.x. What is the
    >difference between the just plain ol' Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird? Do both
    >have email built-in? Which of the two browsers is the best?
    >
    >Thanks much for your input,
    >
    >Bob C.

    Mozilla 1.6 is a full featured 'suite' version
    It includes email/news, chat and composer (for websites)

    Firebird is a standalone browser
    It does not include email/news or chat

    1.6 is not in full release yet, but should be shortly. The latest
    'release' version is 1.5
    Firebird is not in full release yet either, but is in 'beta' stage

    Both programs have their pros and cons. Mozilla, the 'suite' version
    is the all in one, do everything, suite. Firebird is the newer,
    standalone browser. Both are fast, with some claiming the Firebird
    having the speed advantage. Both are based on the same Gecko engine,
    but Firebird has/will be optimized for just browsing functions

    One of the advantages of separating the components out (Thunderbird is
    the standalone email/news client to compliment Firebird) is a faster
    track to development, as doing a change in one function now doesnt have
    to impact on the other component. In the future, tho this is still
    undecided, you may see the disappearance of the 'suite' in favour of the
    component based approach.

    Which one is 'better'? That depends entirely on your personal
    preference and appreciations for what features you want in a browser.
    You may wish to try both to see which one suits your style of
    'internetting' better.
    dantu, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Keith Bowes

    Bob C. Guest

    Thanks so much for your information. So if I like Outlook Express, then
    Firebird's latest release would be a good choice I would think because of
    the lack of email client included. Am I on the right track you think?

    Bob

    Bob C., Jan 7, 2004
  5. Keith Bowes

    Bob C. Guest

    I downloaded and tried Firebird just now and already have received various
    errors where the program shut down.

    Is Mozilla 1.6b going to be buggy too? Or is it pretty stable? Would I be
    better off going with Mozilla 1.5?

    Thanks again,

    Bob C.

    Bob C., Jan 7, 2004
  6. Keith Bowes

    dantu Guest

    Bob C. wrote:

    >Thanks so much for your information. So if I like Outlook Express, then
    >Firebird's latest release would be a good choice I would think because of
    >the lack of email client included. Am I on the right track you think?
    >
    >Bob
    >

    >"dantu" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Bob C. wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have never used either of the above browsers but was interested in
    >>>downloading something to use in place of Internet Explorer 6.x. What is
    >>>

    >the
    >

    >>>difference between the just plain ol' Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird? Do
    >>>

    >both
    >

    >>>have email built-in? Which of the two browsers is the best?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks much for your input,
    >>>
    >>>Bob C.
    >>>

    >>Mozilla 1.6 is a full featured 'suite' version
    >> It includes email/news, chat and composer (for websites)
    >>
    >>Firebird is a standalone browser
    >> It does not include email/news or chat
    >>
    >>1.6 is not in full release yet, but should be shortly. The latest
    >>'release' version is 1.5
    >>Firebird is not in full release yet either, but is in 'beta' stage
    >>

    >>Both programs have their pros and cons. Mozilla, the 'suite' version
    >>is the all in one, do everything, suite. Firebird is the newer,
    >>standalone browser. Both are fast, with some claiming the Firebird
    >>having the speed advantage. Both are based on the same Gecko engine,
    >>but Firebird has/will be optimized for just browsing functions
    >>
    >>One of the advantages of separating the components out (Thunderbird is
    >>the standalone email/news client to compliment Firebird) is a faster
    >>track to development, as doing a change in one function now doesnt have
    >>to impact on the other component. In the future, tho this is still
    >>undecided, you may see the disappearance of the 'suite' in favour of the
    >>component based approach.
    >>
    >>Which one is 'better'? That depends entirely on your personal
    >>preference and appreciations for what features you want in a browser.
    >>You may wish to try both to see which one suits your style of
    >>'internetting' better.

    Bob

    It would be up to you, tho even with the Mozilla suite,
    you can still use the (ugh) OE if you really wanted <g>. Of course one
    advantage to Firebird is the smaller download footprint of course.

    Both Mozilla and Firebird are very close in features (or
    will be once Firebird reaches release stage). Mozilla (suite) has an
    advantage at the moment because it has stable releases, and so
    extensions/themes are available for it. These will be no doubt made
    available for Firebird releases (if required) as well.

    Be aware that Firebird is still in development and is
    considered 'beta' at the moment. Its quite acceptable for most users,
    but you should realize that there WILL be bugs and features not yet
    implemented. Mozilla (suite) at least has the 'stable' releases that
    are relatively at least, bug free.

    But, as I said previously, your personal taste is what
    should dictate the choice, so feel free to download both the Mozilla
    suite and Firebird and try them out. After all, the price is right <g>
    dantu, Jan 7, 2004
  7. Keith Bowes

    Bob C. Guest

    Dantu,

    If I want to try out the Mozilla 1.5 suite (which I'm guessing is more
    stable than 1.6b), should I "leave messages on server" in the email client
    portion of it until I'm sure I like it? Or is it easy to export my email
    and then import it again into Outlook Express?

    I REALLY APPRECIATE your guy's help.

    Bob C.

    Bob C., Jan 7, 2004
  8. Keith Bowes

    dantu Guest

    Bob C. wrote:

    >I downloaded and tried Firebird just now and already have received various
    >errors where the program shut down.
    >
    >Is Mozilla 1.6b going to be buggy too? Or is it pretty stable? Would I be
    >better off going with Mozilla 1.5?
    >
    >Thanks again,
    >
    >Bob C.
    >
    >"Keith Bowes" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Bob C. wrote:
    >>

    >>>Thanks so much for your information. So if I like Outlook Express, then
    >>>Firebird's latest release would be a good choice I would think because
    >>>

    >of
    >

    >>>the lack of email client included. Am I on the right track you think?
    >>>

    >>Probably, if you don't mind buggy beta software. Though, it is possible
    >>to use Outlook Express with Mozilla (suite). How to do it is somewhere
    >>in the documentation. This may be an option if you want an MathML, HTML
    >>editor, IRC chat, developer tools, access to more preferences, or other
    >>things that have been stripped form Firebird.

    Mozilla (suite), at least in the stable release versions (1.5 is the
    latest) should not create as many problems as the still in development
    Firebird.

    Personally, I would use Mozilla 1.5 myself, switching to 1.6 when it
    reaches stable release.
    dantu, Jan 7, 2004
  9. Keith Bowes

    dantu Guest

    Bob C. wrote:

    >Dantu,
    >
    >If I want to try out the Mozilla 1.5 suite (which I'm guessing is more
    >stable than 1.6b), should I "leave messages on server" in the email client
    >portion of it until I'm sure I like it? Or is it easy to export my email
    >and then import it again into Outlook Express?
    >
    >I REALLY APPRECIATE your guy's help.
    >
    >Bob C.
    >"dantu" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Bob C. wrote:
    >>

    >>>Thanks so much for your information. So if I like Outlook Express, then
    >>>Firebird's latest release would be a good choice I would think because of
    >>>the lack of email client included. Am I on the right track you think?
    >>>
    >>>Bob
    >>>

    >>>"dantu" <> wrote in message

    >is
    >

    >>>the

    >>>both

    >>Bob
    >>
    >> It would be up to you, tho even with the Mozilla suite,
    >>you can still use the (ugh) OE if you really wanted <g>. Of course one
    >>advantage to Firebird is the smaller download footprint of course.
    >>
    >> Both Mozilla and Firebird are very close in features (or
    >>will be once Firebird reaches release stage). Mozilla (suite) has an
    >>advantage at the moment because it has stable releases, and so
    >>extensions/themes are available for it. These will be no doubt made
    >>available for Firebird releases (if required) as well.
    >>
    >> Be aware that Firebird is still in development and is
    >>considered 'beta' at the moment. Its quite acceptable for most users,
    >>but you should realize that there WILL be bugs and features not yet
    >>implemented. Mozilla (suite) at least has the 'stable' releases that
    >>are relatively at least, bug free.
    >>
    >> But, as I said previously, your personal taste is what
    >>should dictate the choice, so feel free to download both the Mozilla
    >>suite and Firebird and try them out. After all, the price is right <g>

    Bob

    Choosing to leave mail on server would be useful if you are
    just 'trying' the product on for size so to speak. Just remember to use
    your other mail client routinely enough to empty your mailbox
    occasionally if you decide to go this route.
    You can also choose to not download any mail at all with
    Mozilla, not even 'checking' it, just as if it didnt have a mail client
    built in. With Mozilla, the choice is yours, you dont have to use the
    built in mail client if you dont wish to, you can even skip setting up
    Mail accounts entirely if you wish.

    The entire idea is that you can customize the product to
    exactly what you want, no more, no less.
    dantu, Jan 7, 2004
  10. Keith Bowes

    Bob C. Guest

    dantu wrote:
    > Bob C. wrote:
    >
    >> I downloaded and tried Firebird just now and already have received
    >> various
    >> errors where the program shut down.
    >>
    >> Is Mozilla 1.6b going to be buggy too? Or is it pretty stable? Would
    >> I be
    >> better off going with Mozilla 1.5?
    >>
    >> Thanks again,
    >>
    >> Bob C.
    >>
    >> "Keith Bowes" <> wrote in message

    >> of

    >>> Probably, if you don't mind buggy beta software. Though, it is possible
    >>> to use Outlook Express with Mozilla (suite). How to do it is somewhere
    >>> in the documentation. This may be an option if you want an MathML, HTML
    >>> editor, IRC chat, developer tools, access to more preferences, or other
    >>> things that have been stripped form Firebird.
    >>>

    > Mozilla (suite), at least in the stable release versions (1.5 is the
    > latest) should not create as many problems as the still in development
    > Firebird.
    >
    > Personally, I would use Mozilla 1.5 myself, switching to 1.6 when it
    > reaches stable release.

    I just installed and am using Mozilla 1.5 and it's pretty slick. I even
    like the email client. I'm going to try it out for a few days and see
    what I think then. Thanks again guys for all your help and input.

    Bob C.
    Bob C., Jan 7, 2004
  11. Keith Bowes

    Tono Guest

    dantu wrote:

    > Bob C. wrote:
    >
    >> I downloaded and tried Firebird just now and already have received
    >> various
    >> errors where the program shut down.
    >>
    >> Is Mozilla 1.6b going to be buggy too? Or is it pretty stable? Would
    >> I be
    >> better off going with Mozilla 1.5?
    >>
    >> Thanks again,
    >>
    >> Bob C.
    >>
    >> "Keith Bowes" <> wrote in message

    >> of

    >>> Probably, if you don't mind buggy beta software. Though, it is possible
    >>> to use Outlook Express with Mozilla (suite). How to do it is somewhere
    >>> in the documentation. This may be an option if you want an MathML, HTML
    >>> editor, IRC chat, developer tools, access to more preferences, or other
    >>> things that have been stripped form Firebird.
    >>>

    > Mozilla (suite), at least in the stable release versions (1.5 is the
    > latest) should not create as many problems as the still in development
    > Firebird.
    >
    > Personally, I would use Mozilla 1.5 myself, switching to 1.6 when it
    > reaches stable release.

    1.7A seems to be working great for me. Finally the spellchecker almost
    works. It still gives no suggestions for a proper name that you didn't
    capitalize. For example "alabama" comes up with "no suggested words".
    Tono, Jan 7, 2004
  12. Keith Bowes

    David Warren Guest

    Bob C. wrote:

    > I downloaded and tried Firebird just now and already have received various
    > errors where the program shut down.
    >
    > Is Mozilla 1.6b going to be buggy too? Or is it pretty stable? Would I be
    > better off going with Mozilla 1.5?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Bob C.

    The amazing thing about this I have been using firebird for 3 months and
    I have not had it crash once and I use optimized nightly builds. :) Oh
    well. It's the most stable pre-release software I have ever used.

    - David
    David Warren, Jan 7, 2004
  13. I have been using Firebird since 0.3 build (namely Phoenix at that time). It was unstable and tended to crash.
    But in the recently release, i.e. 0.6.1 and 0.7. I seldom got it crash and it performs much more stable than the *nice* IE.

    I guess if Bob have set anything wrong to get it crashed.

    --
    This is Ricco@Hong Kong

    Ricco@Mobility, Jan 7, 2004