    Thanks for your time.

    --
    To email me directly replace "trashcan.bin" with "aapt.net.au"

    Raymond, May 29, 2005

  2. Raymond

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Raymond wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > I am using MozBackup 1.3.2 to backup my Thunderbird and Firefox
    > settings. Up until now I have been backing up my entire "Documents and
    > Settings" folders and therefore at the moment not backing up my email
    > with MozBackUp. The files that Firefox and Thunderbird uses are usually
    > "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla (Or
    > FIREFOX/THUNDERBIRD) " aren't they? So if I remove these directories
    > from my system backup routine and backup with the MozBackUp utility it
    > will make re installation a lot easier?
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    If you're using a utility to do system backups I'd continue to use that
    for backing up FF and TB. Mozbackup is, if I recall correctly, not
    being further developed. Besides, you need a backup program for your
    other non-FF/TB data, why complicate things?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 29, 2005

  3. Raymond

    Pete Guest

    "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    > Raymond wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >> I am using MozBackup 1.3.2 to backup my Thunderbird and Firefox
    >> settings. Up until now I have been backing up my entire "Documents and
    >> Settings" folders and therefore at the moment not backing up my email
    >> with MozBackUp. The files that Firefox and Thunderbird uses are usually
    >> "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla (Or
    >> FIREFOX/THUNDERBIRD) " aren't they? So if I remove these directories from
    >> my system backup routine and backup with the MozBackUp utility it will
    >> make re installation a lot easier?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your time.
    >>

    > If you're using a utility to do system backups I'd continue to use that
    > for backing up FF and TB. Mozbackup is, if I recall correctly, not being
    > further developed. Besides, you need a backup program for your other
    > non-FF/TB data, why complicate things?
    >
    > --
    > Ed Mullen
    > http://edmullen.net
    > http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    > Why is a person who plays the piano called a pianist, but a person who
    > drives a race car not called a racist?

    What files exactly have to be backed up for FF and TB.
    Where are they?
    I am switching to them from I.E. and O.E.
    Thanks.
    -Pete

    Pete, May 30, 2005
  4. Raymond

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Pete wrote:
    > "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Raymond wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi All,
    >>> I am using MozBackup 1.3.2 to backup my Thunderbird and Firefox
    >>>settings. Up until now I have been backing up my entire "Documents and
    >>>Settings" folders and therefore at the moment not backing up my email
    >>>with MozBackUp. The files that Firefox and Thunderbird uses are usually
    >>>"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla (Or
    >>>FIREFOX/THUNDERBIRD) " aren't they? So if I remove these directories from
    >>>my system backup routine and backup with the MozBackUp utility it will
    >>>make re installation a lot easier?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your time.
    >>>

    >>If you're using a utility to do system backups I'd continue to use that
    >>for backing up FF and TB. Mozbackup is, if I recall correctly, not being
    >>further developed. Besides, you need a backup program for your other
    >>non-FF/TB data, why complicate things?
    >>
    >>--
    >>Ed Mullen
    >>http://edmullen.net
    >>http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    >>Why is a person who plays the piano called a pianist, but a person who
    >>drives a race car not called a racist?

    > What files exactly have to be backed up for FF and TB.
    > Where are they?
    > I am switching to them from I.E. and O.E.
    > Thanks.
    > -Pete

    Backup the entire profile. That's the safest way. See:
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_profile.html to get started.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you. Say a
    bench has wet paint and he has to touch it.

    Ed Mullen, May 30, 2005
  5. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    Hi Ed,

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Raymond wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >> I am using MozBackup 1.3.2 to backup my Thunderbird and Firefox
    >> settings. Up until now I have been backing up my entire "Documents and
    >> Settings" folders and therefore at the moment not backing up my email
    >> with MozBackUp. The files that Firefox and Thunderbird uses are
    >> usually "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
    >> Data\Mozilla (Or FIREFOX/THUNDERBIRD) " aren't they? So if I remove
    >> these directories from my system backup routine and backup with the
    >> MozBackUp utility it will make re installation a lot easier?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your time.
    >>

    > If you're using a utility to do system backups I'd continue to use that
    > for backing up FF and TB. Mozbackup is, if I recall correctly, not
    > being further developed. Besides, you need a backup program for your
    > other non-FF/TB data, why complicate things?

    I am attempting to do exactly the opposite when I have to re-install
    the OS. Each time I have done this in the past I have had to hunt down
    the directories to find my mail and then I have to manually put all the
    settings back in :(

    --
    To email me directly replace "trashcan.bin" with "aapt.net.au"

    Raymond, May 30, 2005
  6. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    Hi Pete,

    Pete wrote:
    > "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Raymond wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi All,
    >>> I am using MozBackup 1.3.2 to backup my Thunderbird and Firefox
    >>>settings. Up until now I have been backing up my entire "Documents and
    >>>Settings" folders and therefore at the moment not backing up my email
    >>>with MozBackUp. The files that Firefox and Thunderbird uses are usually
    >>>"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla (Or
    >>>FIREFOX/THUNDERBIRD) " aren't they? So if I remove these directories from
    >>>my system backup routine and backup with the MozBackUp utility it will
    >>>make re installation a lot easier?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your time.
    >>>

    > What files exactly have to be backed up for FF and TB.
    > Where are they?
    > I am switching to them from I.E. and O.E.
    > Thanks.
    > -Pete

    I am backing up the entire directory to be on the safe side.

    --
    To email me directly replace "trashcan.bin" with "aapt.net.au"

    Raymond, May 30, 2005
  7. Raymond

    Z Guest

    Raymond wrote:
    >> If you're using a utility to do system backups I'd continue to use
    >> that for backing up FF and TB. Mozbackup is, if I recall
    >> correctly, not being further developed. Besides, you need a backup
    >> program for your other non-FF/TB data, why complicate things?

    > I am attempting to do exactly the opposite when I have to re-install
    > the OS. Each time I have done this in the past I have had to hunt
    > down the directories to find my mail and then I have to manually put
    > all the settings back in :(

    If you want a supported way to replace to Mozbackup, add a new backup
    job that grabs just the trees with the FF and TB profiles:

    C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Thunderbird
    C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

    That will save your e-mail and all your settings.

    Z, May 30, 2005
  8. Raymond

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Raymond wrote:

    > Hi Ed,
    >
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> Raymond wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>> I am using MozBackup 1.3.2 to backup my Thunderbird and Firefox
    >>> settings. Up until now I have been backing up my entire "Documents
    >>> and Settings" folders and therefore at the moment not backing up my
    >>> email with MozBackUp. The files that Firefox and Thunderbird uses are
    >>> usually "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
    >>> Data\Mozilla (Or FIREFOX/THUNDERBIRD) " aren't they? So if I remove
    >>> these directories from my system backup routine and backup with the
    >>> MozBackUp utility it will make re installation a lot easier?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your time.
    >>>

    >> If you're using a utility to do system backups I'd continue to use
    >> that for backing up FF and TB. Mozbackup is, if I recall correctly,
    >> not being further developed. Besides, you need a backup program for
    >> your other non-FF/TB data, why complicate things?

    > I am attempting to do exactly the opposite when I have to re-install
    > the OS. Each time I have done this in the past I have had to hunt down
    > the directories to find my mail and then I have to manually put all the
    > settings back in :(

    You originally asked if Mozbackup would make a re-installation easier
    than your system backup. IF you are using a decent system backup
    program it will be very easy to restore all or any part of a backup. My
    point was: Why complicate your life by using two different programs
    when one will do the job? Entirely up to you, of course.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    An oyster is a fish built like a nut.

    Ed Mullen, May 31, 2005
  9. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    Hi Ed,

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Raymond wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Ed,
    >>
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> If you're using a utility to do system backups I'd continue to use
    >>> that for backing up FF and TB. Mozbackup is, if I recall correctly,
    >>> not being further developed. Besides, you need a backup program for
    >>> your other non-FF/TB data, why complicate things?

    >> I am attempting to do exactly the opposite when I have to
    >> re-install the OS. Each time I have done this in the past I have had
    >> to hunt down the directories to find my mail and then I have to
    >> manually put all the settings back in :(
    >>

    > You originally asked if Mozbackup would make a re-installation easier
    > than your system backup. IF you are using a decent system backup
    > program it will be very easy to restore all or any part of a backup. My
    > point was: Why complicate your life by using two different programs
    > when one will do the job? Entirely up to you, of course.

    Sorry for the confusion, I should have said "Data BackUp" not "System
    BackUp" as I am only backing up data, not the system, so when the system
    becomes unstable, I can re-install my data but have a fresh install of
    the system.

    --
    To email me directly replace "trashcan.bin" with "aapt.net.au"

    Raymond, May 31, 2005
  10. Raymond

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Raymond wrote:

    > Hi Ed,
    >
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> Raymond wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi Ed,

    >>> I am attempting to do exactly the opposite when I have to
    >>> re-install the OS. Each time I have done this in the past I have had
    >>> to hunt down the directories to find my mail and then I have to
    >>> manually put all the settings back in :(
    >>>

    >> You originally asked if Mozbackup would make a re-installation easier
    >> than your system backup. IF you are using a decent system backup
    >> program it will be very easy to restore all or any part of a backup.
    >> My point was: Why complicate your life by using two different
    >> programs when one will do the job? Entirely up to you, of course.
    >>

    > Sorry for the confusion, I should have said "Data BackUp" not
    > "System BackUp" as I am only backing up data, not the system, so when
    > the system becomes unstable, I can re-install my data but have a fresh
    > install of the system.

    Fine. Substitute "data backup" in my comment: still the same point. I
    have several data backups that run automatically on a schedule and that
    includes a nightly backup of my Documents and Settings folders which
    contains all the Mozilla apps profiles. Again, maybe I'm missing
    something but using two programs where one will suffice seems a needless
    complication to me. No biggie, if that's how you like it go ahead.
    Hey, at least you ARE backing up! ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    I don't get even, I get odder.

    Ed Mullen, May 31, 2005
  11. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > If you're using a utility to do system backups I'd continue to use that
    > for backing up FF and TB. Mozbackup is, if I recall correctly, not
    > being further developed. Besides, you need a backup program for your
    > other non-FF/TB data, why complicate things?

    The sheer size of the backup file..

    --- To email me directly replace "trashcan.bin" with "aapt.net.au"

    Raymond, Jun 10, 2005
  12. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Fine. Substitute "data backup" in my comment: still the same point. I
    > have several data backups that run automatically on a schedule and that
    > includes a nightly backup of my Documents and Settings folders which
    > contains all the Mozilla apps profiles. Again, maybe I'm missing
    > something but using two programs where one will suffice seems a needless
    > complication to me. No biggie, if that's how you like it go ahead. Hey,
    > at least you ARE backing up! ;-)

    I find that the complication of potentially doing two parts to the
    backup easier than trying to hunt down the directories and files for the
    profile as this profile has the whole family's email accounts in there,
    unless re-installation has been made much easer since I had to do it
    last time?

    Thanks for your time and advice.

    --
    To email me directly replace "trashcan.bin" with "aapt.net.au"

    Raymond, Jun 10, 2005
  13. Raymond

    Z Guest

    Raymond wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> If you're using a utility to do system backups I'd continue to use
    >> that for backing up FF and TB. Mozbackup is, if I recall correctly,
    >> not being further developed. Besides, you need a backup program for
    >> your other non-FF/TB data, why complicate things?

    > The sheer size of the backup file..

    So use the o/s backup to just backup the profiles.

    Z, Jun 12, 2005