MozBackup in the hands of a newbie

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Colonel Blip, Jul 13, 2004.

  1. Colonel Blip

    Colonel Blip Guest

    I d/l'ed and installed mozbackup to use with FF .9.2. I thought I was being
    smart in doing this, since I've not used FF much and don't yet understand
    all of the preference files (and locations), setup files, extension files,
    etc.

    In any event, installed new version of FF. Ran MB and saved the default
    profile. Next, loaded several extensions and set preferences (FF and things
    like TBE, etc.). Saved default profile again, giving it new backup name.

    I then ran firefox -p to create another profile, specific to me. I set PM to
    check the profile before starting. I then started on the new profile. So
    far, so good. I next s/d and restarted and tried to start on the default
    profile, and got the message that it was already being used. In truth it had
    been deleted, along with all of my preferences, extensions, etc.

    So I tried a restore using MB, and it indicated it restored but I have no
    idea where, if at all. I ran FF again, same message re: the default profile.

    Does any of this make sense to the experienced user bunch?

    --
    Colonel Blip

    Remove "nospam" when replying.

    Colonel Blip, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Colonel Blip

    Colonel Blip Guest

    "Colonel Blip" <> wrote in message
    >> I d/l'ed and installed mozbackup to use with FF .9.2. I thought I
    >> was being smart in doing this, since I've not used FF much and don't
    >> yet understand all of the preference files (and locations), setup
    >> files, extension files, etc.
    >>
    >> In any event, installed new version of FF. Ran MB and saved the
    >> default profile. Next, loaded several extensions and set preferences
    >> (FF and things like TBE, etc.). Saved default profile again, giving
    >> it new backup name.
    >>
    >> I then ran firefox -p to create another profile, specific to me. I
    >> set PM to check the profile before starting. I then started on the
    >> new profile. So far, so good. I next s/d and restarted and tried to
    >> start on the default profile, and got the message that it was
    >> already being used. In truth it had been deleted, along with all of
    >> my preferences, extensions, etc.
    >>
    >> So I tried a restore using MB, and it indicated it restored but I
    >> have no idea where, if at all. I ran FF again, same message re: the
    >> default profile.
    >>
    >> Does any of this make sense to the experienced user bunch?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Colonel Blip
    >>
    >> Remove "nospam" when replying.

    I guess not.