    fox? I've been calling them Mozzy and Fire.
    Thanks,
    Poly-p man

    Poly-poly man, Mar 9, 2005

  2. Poly-poly man

    Moz Champion Guest

    Poly-poly man wrote:
    > I LOVE Mozilla. I also love linux. The little penguin mascot for linux
    > has a name (Tux!) Is there a name for the Moz Dino? What about that FF
    > fox? I've been calling them Mozzy and Fire.
    > Thanks,
    > Poly-p man

    Well, its difficult to say exactly.

    In the early days of Netscape there existed the character "Moz" or
    "Mozilla" who was dinosaur like. Eventually, Netscape shifted away from
    using him as a Mascot, but retained the copyright on the name.
    When Mozilla.org was created they were granted the copyright on the name
    "Mozilla" in as much as its usage, and someone created the dinosaur logo
    to go along with it. Whether they took their lead from the 'Moz' of old,
    the effect is similar. Mozilla has trademarked it's 'red lizard logo'

    From the Mozilla.org page on Trademarks

    The cute green dinosaur is not a Mozilla Foundation trademark either;
    its legal status is unclear, and we are moving away from using it.

    Images of the old Netscape 'Moz' (the cute green dinosaur) can be seen here
    http://home.snafu.de/tilman/mozilla/

    So essentially, the 'red lizard' as used by Mozilla has no name, as far
    as I have been able to ascertain

    The Firefox logo is relatively new and derivatives of it are few and far
    between. It doesnt have a name as far as I could ascertain.

    Just to be on the safe side, I have forwarded your question about names
    for the logos to licensing at Mozilla.org, just to see what they reply.

    Moz Champion, Mar 9, 2005

  3. Moz Champion wrote:
    > Poly-poly man wrote:
    > > I LOVE Mozilla. I also love linux. The little penguin mascot for

    linux
    > > has a name (Tux!) Is there a name for the Moz Dino? What about that

    FF
    > > fox? I've been calling them Mozzy and Fire.
    > > Thanks,
    > > Poly-p man
    > >

    > Well, its difficult to say exactly.
    >
    > In the early days of Netscape there existed the character "Moz" or
    > "Mozilla" who was dinosaur like. Eventually, Netscape shifted away

    from
    > using him as a Mascot, but retained the copyright on the name.
    > When Mozilla.org was created they were granted the copyright on the

    name
    > "Mozilla" in as much as its usage, and someone created the dinosaur

    logo
    > to go along with it. Whether they took their lead from the 'Moz' of

    old,
    > the effect is similar. Mozilla has trademarked it's 'red lizard logo'
    >
    > From the Mozilla.org page on Trademarks
    >

    > The cute green dinosaur is not a Mozilla Foundation trademark either;

    > its legal status is unclear, and we are moving away from using it.
    >
    > Images of the old Netscape 'Moz' (the cute green dinosaur) can be

    seen here
    > http://home.snafu.de/tilman/mozilla/
    >
    > So essentially, the 'red lizard' as used by Mozilla has no name, as

    far
    > as I have been able to ascertain
    >
    > The Firefox logo is relatively new and derivatives of it are few and

    far
    > between. It doesnt have a name as far as I could ascertain.
    >
    > Just to be on the safe side, I have forwarded your question about

    names
    > for the logos to licensing at Mozilla.org, just to see what they

    reply.

    Thanks, that was a cool look back through time. Could you post back
    licensing's reply?

    THanks again,
    Poly-p man

    Poly-poly man, Mar 9, 2005
  4. Poly-poly man

    Doug G Guest

    Doug G, Mar 9, 2005
  5. Poly-poly man

    Moz Champion Guest

    Poly-poly man wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >>Poly-poly man wrote:
    >>
    >>>I LOVE Mozilla. I also love linux. The little penguin mascot for

    > linux
    >
    >>>has a name (Tux!) Is there a name for the Moz Dino? What about that

    > FF
    >
    >>>fox? I've been calling them Mozzy and Fire.
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Poly-p man
    >>>

    >>Well, its difficult to say exactly.
    >>
    >>In the early days of Netscape there existed the character "Moz" or
    >>"Mozilla" who was dinosaur like. Eventually, Netscape shifted away

    > from
    >
    >>using him as a Mascot, but retained the copyright on the name.
    >>When Mozilla.org was created they were granted the copyright on the

    > name
    >
    >>"Mozilla" in as much as its usage, and someone created the dinosaur

    > logo
    >
    >>to go along with it. Whether they took their lead from the 'Moz' of

    > old,
    >
    >>the effect is similar. Mozilla has trademarked it's 'red lizard logo'
    >>
    >> From the Mozilla.org page on Trademarks
    >>

    >>The cute green dinosaur is not a Mozilla Foundation trademark either;

    >>its legal status is unclear, and we are moving away from using it.
    >>
    >>Images of the old Netscape 'Moz' (the cute green dinosaur) can be

    > seen here
    >
    >>http://home.snafu.de/tilman/mozilla/
    >>
    >>So essentially, the 'red lizard' as used by Mozilla has no name, as

    > far
    >
    >>as I have been able to ascertain
    >>
    >>The Firefox logo is relatively new and derivatives of it are few and

    > far
    >
    >>between. It doesnt have a name as far as I could ascertain.
    >>
    >>Just to be on the safe side, I have forwarded your question about

    > names
    >
    >>for the logos to licensing at Mozilla.org, just to see what they

    > reply.
    >

    > Thanks, that was a cool look back through time. Could you post back
    > licensing's reply?
    >
    > THanks again,
    > Poly-p man

    Heard back from licensing