    Hands up any one here who prefers the suite to the aviary.

    TIA
    -Adrian

    Adrian, Jun 15, 2005

  2. Adrian

    Moz Champion Guest

    Adrian wrote:
    > Hi ng
    > Just a few questions;
    > Has anyone used this build yet?
    > Did it preform well for you?
    > Will MoFo be issuing security patches for it?
    > What happened to 1.7.9?
    >
    > Hands up any one here who prefers the suite to the aviary.
    >
    > TIA
    > -Adrian

    Build numbers are designed to indicate relative changes to the product.
    1.1.2 to 1.1.3 for example would be a version with relatively minor changes
    1.1.2 to 1.2 would indicate major changes or revisions or implementation
    of new features.

    The Mozilla suite (1.7.8) was being developed with some major
    changes/revisions and added features, hence the 1.8 development line (in
    beta version currently). However, Mozilla.org has also decried that
    after this version, it will no longer be developing the suite, instead
    focusing on Firefox and Thunderbird. A private group has announced it
    will carry on suite development tho.

    So, when 1.8 is released it will be the LAST "Mozilla.org" suite
    package. It will be updated (for security 'patches') as neccessary.
    The suite may live on under the aegis of the private group tho
    If another security 'patch' becomes neccessary prior to the release of
    1.8, then you might see a 1.7.9, which of course would be superceded by
    1.8 when it is released.

    1.8b1 is 1.8 in BETA release (one). It is intended as a widespread BETA
    testing product, it may or may not contain bugs or regressions. It, in
    time, will become 1.8RC1 (release candidate one) and then 1.8 (the
    release version) Dependent on problems encountered there may be more
    beta releases (1.8b2, 1.8b3, etc) or more release candidate releasess
    (1.8rc2, l.8rc3, etc) prior to the actual 1.8 release.

    For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a private
    group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself seems destined
    to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

    Moz Champion, Jun 15, 2005

  3. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > Adrian wrote:
    >
    >> Hi ng
    >> Just a few questions;
    >> Has anyone used this build yet?
    >> Did it preform well for you?
    >> Will MoFo be issuing security patches for it?
    >> What happened to 1.7.9?
    >>
    >> Hands up any one here who prefers the suite to the aviary.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> -Adrian

    > Build numbers are designed to indicate relative changes to the product.
    > 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 for example would be a version with relatively minor changes
    > 1.1.2 to 1.2 would indicate major changes or revisions or implementation
    > of new features.
    >
    > The Mozilla suite (1.7.8) was being developed with some major
    > changes/revisions and added features, hence the 1.8 development line (in
    > beta version currently). However, Mozilla.org has also decried that
    > after this version, it will no longer be developing the suite, instead
    > focusing on Firefox and Thunderbird. A private group has announced it
    > will carry on suite development tho.
    >
    > So, when 1.8 is released it will be the LAST "Mozilla.org" suite
    > package. It will be updated (for security 'patches') as neccessary.
    > The suite may live on under the aegis of the private group tho
    > If another security 'patch' becomes neccessary prior to the release of
    > 1.8, then you might see a 1.7.9, which of course would be superceded by
    > 1.8 when it is released.
    >
    > 1.8b1 is 1.8 in BETA release (one). It is intended as a widespread BETA
    > testing product, it may or may not contain bugs or regressions. It, in
    > time, will become 1.8RC1 (release candidate one) and then 1.8 (the
    > release version) Dependent on problems encountered there may be more
    > beta releases (1.8b2, 1.8b3, etc) or more release candidate releasess
    > (1.8rc2, l.8rc3, etc) prior to the actual 1.8 release.

    As there have been a number of Alfa releases (6?) so far,
    do you think 1.8b1 is stable enough to use?
    Or would you recommend against it?

    > For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a

    private
    > group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself seems destined
    > to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

    Some would say de-volve :) but thats another story.

    So there is going to be a 1.8 final (MoFo supported) release then?

    Thanks for the update Champ.

    -Adrian

    Adrian, Jun 15, 2005
  4. Adrian

    Moz Champion Guest

    Adrian wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Adrian wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi ng
    >>> Just a few questions;
    >>> Has anyone used this build yet?
    >>> Did it preform well for you?
    >>> Will MoFo be issuing security patches for it?
    >>> What happened to 1.7.9?
    >>>
    >>> Hands up any one here who prefers the suite to the aviary.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> -Adrian

    >> Build numbers are designed to indicate relative changes to the product.
    >> 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 for example would be a version with relatively minor
    >> changes
    >> 1.1.2 to 1.2 would indicate major changes or revisions or
    >> implementation of new features.
    >>
    >> The Mozilla suite (1.7.8) was being developed with some major
    >> changes/revisions and added features, hence the 1.8 development line
    >> (in beta version currently). However, Mozilla.org has also decried
    >> that after this version, it will no longer be developing the suite,
    >> instead focusing on Firefox and Thunderbird. A private group has
    >> announced it will carry on suite development tho.
    >>
    >> So, when 1.8 is released it will be the LAST "Mozilla.org" suite
    >> package. It will be updated (for security 'patches') as neccessary.
    >> The suite may live on under the aegis of the private group tho
    >> If another security 'patch' becomes neccessary prior to the release of
    >> 1.8, then you might see a 1.7.9, which of course would be superceded
    >> by 1.8 when it is released.
    >>
    >> 1.8b1 is 1.8 in BETA release (one). It is intended as a widespread
    >> BETA testing product, it may or may not contain bugs or regressions.
    >> It, in time, will become 1.8RC1 (release candidate one) and then
    >> 1.8 (the release version) Dependent on problems encountered there
    >> may be more beta releases (1.8b2, 1.8b3, etc) or more release
    >> candidate releasess (1.8rc2, l.8rc3, etc) prior to the actual 1.8
    >> release.

    > As there have been a number of Alfa releases (6?) so far,
    > do you think 1.8b1 is stable enough to use?
    > Or would you recommend against it?
    >

    > > For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a private

    >> group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself seems
    >> destined to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

    > Some would say de-volve :) but thats another story.
    >
    > So there is going to be a 1.8 final (MoFo supported) release then?
    >
    > Thanks for the update Champ.

    Personally, I dont recommend beta versions to users whose primary
    interest is stability. Beta releases, while in most cases suitable for
    use can have glitches or bugs that would detreact from the experience.
    Beta versions are for widespread testing, on users systems, so using one
    would be participating in the product development.

    Yes, there will be a 1.8 MoFo authorized release

    Moz Champion, Jun 15, 2005
  5. Adrian

    Stan Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Adrian wrote:
    >
    >> Hi ng
    >> Just a few questions;
    >> Has anyone used this build yet?
    >> Did it preform well for you?
    >> Will MoFo be issuing security patches for it?
    >> What happened to 1.7.9?
    >>
    >> Hands up any one here who prefers the suite to the aviary.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> -Adrian

    > Build numbers are designed to indicate relative changes to the product.
    > 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 for example would be a version with relatively minor changes
    > 1.1.2 to 1.2 would indicate major changes or revisions or implementation
    > of new features.
    >
    > The Mozilla suite (1.7.8) was being developed with some major
    > changes/revisions and added features, hence the 1.8 development line (in
    > beta version currently). However, Mozilla.org has also decried that
    > after this version, it will no longer be developing the suite, instead
    > focusing on Firefox and Thunderbird. A private group has announced it
    > will carry on suite development tho.
    >
    > So, when 1.8 is released it will be the LAST "Mozilla.org" suite
    > package. It will be updated (for security 'patches') as neccessary.
    > The suite may live on under the aegis of the private group tho
    > If another security 'patch' becomes neccessary prior to the release of
    > 1.8, then you might see a 1.7.9, which of course would be superceded by
    > 1.8 when it is released.
    >
    > 1.8b1 is 1.8 in BETA release (one). It is intended as a widespread BETA
    > testing product, it may or may not contain bugs or regressions. It, in
    > time, will become 1.8RC1 (release candidate one) and then 1.8 (the
    > release version) Dependent on problems encountered there may be more
    > beta releases (1.8b2, 1.8b3, etc) or more release candidate releasess
    > (1.8rc2, l.8rc3, etc) prior to the actual 1.8 release.
    >
    > For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a private
    > group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself seems destined
    > to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

    What is the best way to keep aware of what this private group is
    planning and doing. Thanks.

    Stan, Jun 15, 2005
  6. Adrian

    Moz Champion Guest

    Stan wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Adrian wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi ng
    >>> Just a few questions;
    >>> Has anyone used this build yet?
    >>> Did it preform well for you?
    >>> Will MoFo be issuing security patches for it?
    >>> What happened to 1.7.9?
    >>>
    >>> Hands up any one here who prefers the suite to the aviary.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> -Adrian

    >> Build numbers are designed to indicate relative changes to the product.
    >> 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 for example would be a version with relatively minor
    >> changes
    >> 1.1.2 to 1.2 would indicate major changes or revisions or
    >> implementation of new features.
    >>
    >> The Mozilla suite (1.7.8) was being developed with some major
    >> changes/revisions and added features, hence the 1.8 development line
    >> (in beta version currently). However, Mozilla.org has also decried
    >> that after this version, it will no longer be developing the suite,
    >> instead focusing on Firefox and Thunderbird. A private group has
    >> announced it will carry on suite development tho.
    >>
    >> So, when 1.8 is released it will be the LAST "Mozilla.org" suite
    >> package. It will be updated (for security 'patches') as neccessary.
    >> The suite may live on under the aegis of the private group tho
    >> If another security 'patch' becomes neccessary prior to the release of
    >> 1.8, then you might see a 1.7.9, which of course would be superceded
    >> by 1.8 when it is released.
    >>
    >> 1.8b1 is 1.8 in BETA release (one). It is intended as a widespread
    >> BETA testing product, it may or may not contain bugs or regressions.
    >> It, in time, will become 1.8RC1 (release candidate one) and then
    >> 1.8 (the release version) Dependent on problems encountered there
    >> may be more beta releases (1.8b2, 1.8b3, etc) or more release
    >> candidate releasess (1.8rc2, l.8rc3, etc) prior to the actual 1.8
    >> release.
    >>
    >> For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a
    >> private group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself
    >> seems destined to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

    > What is the best way to keep aware of what this private group is
    > planning and doing. Thanks.

    At the moment I have no idea of how they will proceed and how they will
    communicate or advise the public
    Perhaps their webpage will be more forthcoming
    http://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey:Project_Organization

    Moz Champion, Jun 16, 2005
  7. Adrian

    Nobody Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:55:08 GMT, Moz Champion
    <> wrote:

    >Adrian wrote:
    >> Hi ng
    >> Just a few questions;
    >> Has anyone used this build yet?
    >> Did it preform well for you?
    >> Will MoFo be issuing security patches for it?
    >> What happened to 1.7.9?
    >>
    >> Hands up any one here who prefers the suite to the aviary.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> -Adrian

    >Build numbers are designed to indicate relative changes to the product.
    >1.1.2 to 1.1.3 for example would be a version with relatively minor changes
    >1.1.2 to 1.2 would indicate major changes or revisions or implementation
    >of new features.
    >
    >The Mozilla suite (1.7.8) was being developed with some major
    >changes/revisions and added features, hence the 1.8 development line (in
    >beta version currently). However, Mozilla.org has also decried that
    >after this version, it will no longer be developing the suite, instead
    >focusing on Firefox and Thunderbird. A private group has announced it
    >will carry on suite development tho.
    >
    >So, when 1.8 is released it will be the LAST "Mozilla.org" suite
    >package. It will be updated (for security 'patches') as neccessary.
    >The suite may live on under the aegis of the private group tho
    >If another security 'patch' becomes neccessary prior to the release of
    >1.8, then you might see a 1.7.9, which of course would be superceded by
    >1.8 when it is released.
    >
    >1.8b1 is 1.8 in BETA release (one). It is intended as a widespread BETA
    >testing product, it may or may not contain bugs or regressions. It, in
    >time, will become 1.8RC1 (release candidate one) and then 1.8 (the
    >release version) Dependent on problems encountered there may be more
    >beta releases (1.8b2, 1.8b3, etc) or more release candidate releasess
    >(1.8rc2, l.8rc3, etc) prior to the actual 1.8 release.
    >
    >For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a private
    >group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself seems destined
    >to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

    Well, this user would prefer to follow developers of the "suite"
    approach.

    I'm not impressed with Firefox, but must admit I have not tried
    T-Bird.

    Nobody, Jun 17, 2005
  8. Adrian

    Moz Champion Guest

    Nobody wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:55:08 GMT, Moz Champion
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Adrian wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi ng
    >>>Just a few questions;
    >>>Has anyone used this build yet?
    >>>Did it preform well for you?
    >>>Will MoFo be issuing security patches for it?
    >>>What happened to 1.7.9?
    >>>
    >>>Hands up any one here who prefers the suite to the aviary.
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>-Adrian

    >>Build numbers are designed to indicate relative changes to the product.
    >>1.1.2 to 1.1.3 for example would be a version with relatively minor changes
    >>1.1.2 to 1.2 would indicate major changes or revisions or implementation
    >>of new features.
    >>
    >>The Mozilla suite (1.7.8) was being developed with some major
    >>changes/revisions and added features, hence the 1.8 development line (in
    >>beta version currently). However, Mozilla.org has also decried that
    >>after this version, it will no longer be developing the suite, instead
    >>focusing on Firefox and Thunderbird. A private group has announced it
    >>will carry on suite development tho.
    >>
    >>So, when 1.8 is released it will be the LAST "Mozilla.org" suite
    >>package. It will be updated (for security 'patches') as neccessary.
    >>The suite may live on under the aegis of the private group tho
    >>If another security 'patch' becomes neccessary prior to the release of
    >>1.8, then you might see a 1.7.9, which of course would be superceded by
    >>1.8 when it is released.
    >>
    >>1.8b1 is 1.8 in BETA release (one). It is intended as a widespread BETA
    >>testing product, it may or may not contain bugs or regressions. It, in
    >>time, will become 1.8RC1 (release candidate one) and then 1.8 (the
    >>release version) Dependent on problems encountered there may be more
    >>beta releases (1.8b2, 1.8b3, etc) or more release candidate releasess
    >>(1.8rc2, l.8rc3, etc) prior to the actual 1.8 release.
    >>
    >>For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a private
    >>group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself seems destined
    >>to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

    > Well, this user would prefer to follow developers of the "suite"
    > approach.
    >
    > I'm not impressed with Firefox, but must admit I have not tried
    > T-Bird.

    Thats fine. As I mentioned there are others who are interested in the
    continuation of the suite as well
    http://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey:Project_Organization

    Moz Champion, Jun 17, 2005
  9. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    Nobody wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:55:08 GMT, Moz Champion
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a private
    >>group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself seems destined
    >>to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

    > Well, this user would prefer to follow developers of the "suite"
    > approach.
    >
    > I'm not impressed with Firefox, but must admit I have not tried
    > T-Bird.

    Ditto
    -Adrian

    Adrian, Jun 18, 2005
  10. Adrian

    Stubby Guest

    Adrian wrote:

    > Nobody wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:55:08 GMT, Moz Champion
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a
    >>> private group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself
    >>> seems destined to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

    >> Well, this user would prefer to follow developers of the "suite"
    >> approach.
    >>
    >> I'm not impressed with Firefox, but must admit I have not tried
    >> T-Bird.

    Can someone explain to us, the name challenged, what Firefox and T-Bird
    are and how they differ from Mozilla (suite) and Netscape 8? Why would
    I pick one over the others? Thanks.

    Stubby, Jun 18, 2005
  11. Adrian

    Doug G Guest