    previously tried deleting the enum section in the registry before
    installing a drive, and when I booted in in the new computer, it did not
    autodetect.
    mcp6453, Nov 14, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    Thagor Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in news:4197F0FC.17A5
    @earthlink.net:

    > The motherboard failed on my IBM 6579 computer (PIII) with Windows

    2000.
    > Rather than replace it, I may move the hard drive to a newer computer
    > (P4). I know I can install the new drive in the computer, allow it to
    > autodetect and install drivers, but is there a cleaner way to do so? I
    > previously tried deleting the enum section in the registry before
    > installing a drive, and when I booted in in the new computer, it did

    not
    > autodetect.

    It will be a little more complex than just installing the drive and
    watching the new devices load up. Like how will you get it to boot up?

    This works for me:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292175
    Thagor, Nov 15, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    Robert Baer Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:

    > The motherboard failed on my IBM 6579 computer (PIII) with Windows 2000.
    > Rather than replace it, I may move the hard drive to a newer computer
    > (P4). I know I can install the new drive in the computer, allow it to
    > autodetect and install drivers, but is there a cleaner way to do so? I
    > previously tried deleting the enum section in the registry before
    > installing a drive, and when I booted in in the new computer, it did not
    > autodetect.

    Methinks you *created* problems by messing with the registry.
    I have switched motherboards a number of times, on Win98Se and on
    Win2K with no problems other than having to feed the "new hardware
    found" with the motherboard CD or the video CD (had different video
    board than previously).
    Robert Baer, Nov 15, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Robert Baer <> wrote in news:4198498F.124908A3
    @earthlink.net:

    > Win2K with no problems other than having to feed the "new hardware

    Moving a Windows NT based OS to a new system is problematic. If there is
    any major difference in the drive controllers and/or chipsets, you'll
    likely end up with a bluescreen saying INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
    Jim Berwick, Nov 15, 2004
  5. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Jim Berwick wrote:

    > Robert Baer <> wrote in news:4198498F.124908A3
    > @earthlink.net:
    >
    > > Win2K with no problems other than having to feed the "new hardware
    > >

    > Moving a Windows NT based OS to a new system is problematic. If there is
    > any major difference in the drive controllers and/or chipsets, you'll
    > likely end up with a bluescreen saying INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

    I think I found the answer:

    How to Move a Windows Installation to Different Hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q249694

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292175.ASP

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824125
    mcp6453, Nov 15, 2004