Moving to this Newsgroup on my ISP's news server

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by R. C. White, Jun 29, 2010.

  1. R. C. White

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Gang.

    The newest message from , posted this morning, reminds us that this newsgroup will be closed from the Microsoft news server on July 1, 2010, just two days from now. As a replacement, Microsoft suggests that we go to the Windows Answers forums at:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/group/WindowsAnswers

    Trouble is, that address is the TOP-level menu of the Answers forums, offering 5 forums each for WinXP, Vista and Win7, NONE of which are dedicated to 64-bit computing. Any and all of them will likely have 64-bit discussions scattered throughout their thousands of conversations. It is, as I’ve said before, like pointing us to 15 haystacks and inviting us to search through all of them, hoping to find a few 64-bit needles somewhere. :>(

    Fortunately, my ISP still carries Usenet (via the Giganews server, I think), with over 100,000 NGs, including the 2,000+ microsoft.public.* NGs. AND including THIS newsgroup. So, just this morning, I’ve subscribed to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general on that news server and downloaded All Messages (69,637 as of now, dated back to May 8, 2005. That’s not the actual beginning of the NG, apparently, because many of the oldest posts have subjects starting with “Re:â€, indicating that they are replies to even earlier messages. After verifying that the latest message there is the same one that I had read here, I used Catch Up on my ISP’s server to mark them all Read.

    So, after MSFT pulls the plug here this week, I’ll be able to continue to participate in whatever is left of this NG on Usenet via my ISP’s news server.

    At least, that’s my plan. We’ll see how well it works out – for me. I hope that each of you can find a suitable news server and we can continue this Community, albeit in a probably diminished capacity.

    Catch you on the flip side, Good Buddies! ;<)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2010 (15.3.2804.0607) in Win7 Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, Jun 29, 2010

  2. R. C. White

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 29/06/2010 in message <> R. C.
    White wrote:

    >Catch you on the flip side, Good Buddies! ;<)

    Hopefully many of us will still be here.

    As this is Usenet and not a forum can you set up WLM to post in plain text?

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation

    Jeff Gaines, Jun 29, 2010

  3. Not sure about Live Mail, but WinMail certainly supports plain text only.
    It's what I use. (I hacked it to run on Server 2008 R2 and use it in a
    RemoteApp session.) And yes, I'll continue to be here, doing what I do, they
    same way I have. And I hope all of you will join us in continuing to support
    those users who will continue to find the move to 64-bit confusing and even
    a bit scary some times.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 29, 2010
  4. R. C. White

    Carlos Guest

    R.C.,
    Please walk me through the process of subscribing to this NG via Usenet.
    I regret to confess that I am quite ignorant in non-web forums.
    :(
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 30, 2010
  5. R. C. White

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Jeff.

    > Hopefully many of us will still be here.

    As Bill Clinton might have said, it depends on what the definition of “hereâ€, is.

    The first step is to locate a Usenet news server, then to make sure that it carries THIS newsgroup,
    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general . Yes, the newsgroup name will still include “microsoftâ€, no matter which “mirror†you are using. It might be eternal-septermber.org or aioe.org or one of the many (thousands?) of free or for-pay news servers out there. To find one, just Bing or Google for “free news server†and you should find LOTS of hits.

    For my example, I’ll use my own ISP’s news server, news.grandecom.net, but that URL won’t do you any good unless you also pay a monthly fee to Grande Communications, Inc., as I do. Just substitute your own news server name for mine in the following example.

    Just click here:

    That one click should:
    1. Fire up your default news reader (OE/WM/WLM or a third-party newsreader client);
    2. Create a News Account for you on that news server;
    3. Connect you to the microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup on THAT server;
    4. Download the 300 newest messages in the newsgroup; and
    5. Display the latest message in the Reading Pane for you to see.

    There are several variables in this process, so if you hit a snag, just post back here in the MS newsgroup and I’ll try to answer. After this MS NG closes, I’ll probably answer in THIS newsgroup on THAT Usenet server. The main variable, of course, is the name of YOUR news server. But Usenet – like the Internet – is worldwide, so the same basic instructions should work no matter where you are. Usenet servers use NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol), like Internet servers use HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol). Newsgroup posts are echoed (mirrored) around the world and, like Internet messages, can appear everywhere at the same moment, it seems.

    However, since we no longer will have the Microsoft “mother ship†hosting the newsgroup, and since all those non-Microsoft news servers are separately owned and operated, we probably will begin to see many more messages that will be delayed, out of sequence – or just plain lost. Also, many of those servers do not carry the entire 2,000+ MS newsgroups now, and may choose to discontinue carrying some or all of them after the Microsoft server shuts down.

    We’ll just have to wait and see if enough of us will continue using this newsgroup to keep our 64-bit community alive.

    > As this is Usenet and not a forum can you set up WLM to post in plain text?

    Sure. I’ve been using WLMail and its predecessors for about 15 years, posting in plain text all the while. It does offer a toggle to switch back and forth between HTML (often called RTF) and plain text.

    RC

    R. C. White, Jun 30, 2010
  6. R. C. White

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Carlos.

    Sure. See the Reply I just posted to Jeff Gaines in this same thread. If you have any questions, post them and I’ll try to guide you through the process.

    RC

    R. C. White, Jun 30, 2010
  7. R. C. White

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 30/06/2010 in message <eH2ZSc$> R. C.
    White wrote:

    >Sure. I’ve been using WLMail and its predecessors for about 15 years,
    >posting in plain text all the while. It does offer a toggle to switch
    >back and forth between HTML (often called RTF) and plain text.

    Someone has been playing with your toggle then, as you are currently
    posting in HTML :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    Indecision is the key to flexibility

    Jeff Gaines, Jun 30, 2010
  8. R. C. White

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Jeff.

    Thanks for pointing that out!

    This subject confuses me. Just now, I've tried to change several font
    settings in WLM, but none of them seem to be effective. I'm STILL seeing
    both your message and my composition in a tiny font - maybe Arial 8 pt. But
    the Tools | Options | Compose tab said 12 pt Arial. So I changed the
    setting. But there was no change! I tried 20 pt Bookman - and there still
    was no change! I changed the font in Tools | Options | Read - and your text
    did not change. After a few more ineffective tests, I gave up and went back
    to the default settings that I've used for years: Read and Compose with 12
    pt Courier and Arial. I still see both your text and mine in a too-small
    sans-serif font.

    About HTML: Here in Wave 4, the Compose window has a button on the Message
    ribbon labeled "Rich text (HTML)". The button is a toggle, but it doesn't
    say if it toggles TO or FROM HTML. When I hover over the button, the pop-up
    box says, "Format message as HTML or plain text". Again, it doesn't tell me
    either the current setting or what happens if I click it. All I know is
    that it toggles from the current setting to the other. I've added this
    button to the QAT and now one click toggles the setting - but it still
    doesn't tell me what I'm ending up with. One clue is that when I click it,
    the font changes. And the pop-up label on the icon changes. I’ve clicked
    it once and now I see our texts in a larger font (but there’s no clue as to
    the name of the font or its size unless I go back to Tools | Options, and I
    can’t be sure that that screen means anything), and the pop-up says “Plain
    textâ€. Now I click it again, a pop-up window warns me that I will lose my
    formatting, and I click OK. Now I'm back to the tiny font. I'm sure there
    are other changes, but I don't see what they are except that line spacing is
    different. If I were using some fancy formatting, I would see some obvious
    changes, I suppose. But since I almost always work in plain text, my
    composition looks just about the same either way. Users like me need a
    button on the Ribbon that tells us the current font and size settings.

    So, I guess I've been toggling FROM Plain Text to HTML ever since Wave 4
    arrived. :>(

    This one is in PLAIN TEXT - I hope!

    RC

    R. C. White, Jun 30, 2010
  9. R. C. White

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 30/06/2010 in message <#> R. C.
    White wrote:

    >This one is in PLAIN TEXT - I hope!

    It is indeed :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.

    Jeff Gaines, Jun 30, 2010
  10. R. C. White

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Jeff.

    Thanks for the confirmation. Maybe I can keep it straight from here on.
    ;<)

    RC

    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2010 (15.3.2804.0607) in Win7 Ultimate x64)

    "Jeff Gaines" wrote in message

    R. C. White, Jun 30, 2010
  11. R. C. White

    John Turco Guest

    "R. C. White" wrote:

    > Hi, Gang.
    >
    > The newest message from , posted this morning, reminds us that this newsgroup will
    > be closed from the Microsoft news server on July 1, 2010, just two days from now. As a replacement,
    > Microsoft suggests that we go to the Windows Answers forums at:
    > http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/group/WindowsAnswers
    >
    > Trouble is, that address is the TOP-level menu of the Answers forums, offering 5 forums each for
    > WinXP, Vista and Win7, NONE of which are dedicated to 64-bit computing. Any and all of them will
    > likely have 64-bit discussions scattered throughout their thousands of conversations. It is, as
    > I’ve said before, like pointing us to 15 haystacks and inviting us to search through all of them,
    > hoping to find a few 64-bit needles somewhere. :>(
    >
    > Fortunately, my ISP still carries Usenet (via the Giganews server, I think), with over 100,000 NGs,
    > including the 2,000+ microsoft.public.* NGs. AND including THIS newsgroup. So, just this morning,
    > I’ve subscribed to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general on that news server and downloaded All
    > Messages (69,637 as of now, dated back to May 8, 2005. That’s not the actual beginning of the NG,
    > apparently, because many of the oldest posts have subjects starting with “Re:â€, indicating that
    > they are replies to even earlier messages. After verifying that the latest message there is the
    > same one that I had read here, I used Catch Up on my ISP’s server to
    > mark them all Read.
    >
    > So, after MSFT pulls the plug here this week, I’ll be able to continue to participate in whatever
    > is left of this NG on Usenet via my ISP’s news server.
    >
    > At least, that’s my plan. We’ll see how well it works out – for me. I hope that each of you
    > can find a suitable news server and we can continue this Community, albeit in a probably diminished
    > capacity.
    >
    > Catch you on the flip side, Good Buddies! ;<)
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    >
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    > Windows Live Mail 2010 (15.3.2804.0607) in Win7 Ultimate x64)

    So, you learned something from my public reply of June 25, 2010 (in the "Re: Microsoft kills 4,000
    old-style newsgroups" thread)? I'd mentioned accessing Microsoft's Windows groups, through a free
    NNTP server (in my own case, that's "Eternal September").

    Now, you must figure out how to post properly. "Content Type" should be plain text, rather than
    your current setting (which appears to be HTML, or similar).

    Also, your lines are far too long...they span almost the entire horizontal length of my "Spectre"
    24" LCD widescreen monitor! (80 characters is the Usenet standard.)

    By the way, my news reader (the venerable Netscape Communicator 4.8) didn't automatcally quote
    your article, when I clicked the application's "Reply" button. I needed to copy and paste it,
    and then use the "File" menu's "Quote Original Message" command (in order to quickly add the
    requisite ">" puppies). This might just be a Communicator quirk, though. (I manually wrapped
    your lines, too.)

    Good luck to you, and to all the other regular members here, as well. Microsoft has scheduled
    "microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general" for a July 1, 2010 closure (i.e., tomorrow), and yet
    I remain fairly hopeful that this particular newsgroup can withstand such a cruel measure.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 1, 2010
  12. R. C. White

    Bo Persson Guest

    John Turco wrote:

    > Good luck to you, and to all the other regular members here, as
    > well. Microsoft has scheduled
    > "microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general" for a July 1, 2010 closure
    > (i.e., tomorrow), and yet
    > I remain fairly hopeful that this particular newsgroup can
    > withstand such a cruel measure.

    Here and now it already is tomorrow. We'll see what happens. :)

    Bo Persson

    Bo Persson, Jul 1, 2010
  13. R. C. White

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, John.

    > Now, you must figure out how to post properly. "Content Type" should be
    > plain text, rather than

    your current setting (which appears to be HTML, or similar).

    Thanks to a kick in the pants from Jeff Gaines yesterday, I finally figured
    out that I was 180 out of sync on the Plain Text/HTML switches. I HOPE that
    this one is properly in Plain Text.

    It's now July 1 in Texas, so we'll see if this message gets through on the
    Msnews server. But I'm already subscribed on my ISP's news server, too, so
    I've been reading all these messages twice for the past couple of days. As
    John John notes, other closed NGs here continued for just a few days after
    the official closure date - and then disappeared.

    RC

    R. C. White, Jul 1, 2010
  14. R. C. White

    Keith Combs Guest

    The message in this newgroup is incorrect or at least it’s incomplete. The forums that support IT Pros and your 64bit questions are at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/w7itpro. That is the top level category and there are forums on installation, hardware compatibility, application compatibility, security, virtualization, performance, etc.

    I believe you’ll find the community is quite active there. The forums have a number of benefits so I hope you’ll give them a chance.

    Best regards,

    Keith Combs
    Microsoft Senior Program Manager – TechNet
    (425) 705-9217 office
    http://blogs.technet.com/keithcombs

    Keith Combs, Jul 2, 2010
  15. R. C. White

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 02/07/2010 in message <> Keith
    Combs wrote:

    >I believe you’ll find the community is quite active there. The forums
    >have a number of benefits so I hope you’ll give them a chance.

    They don't have the benefits of speed, plain text and threaded news
    readers. Has anybody at MSFT tried them from, say, a 1 Mb/s Internet
    connection? Has anybody at MSFT ever used a proper news reader? They ought
    to give it a try they will be astonished by how quick it is.

    It's also not too difficult to formulate a question, or reply, in plain
    text, the 'rich experience' of HTML and garish colours just slows things
    down and doubles the load on the Internet without adding anything to the
    intelligibility of the message.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 3, 2010
  16. R. C. White

    Bo Persson Guest

    Jeff Gaines wrote:
    > On 02/07/2010 in message <>
    > Keith Combs wrote:
    >
    >> I believe you'll find the community is quite active there. The
    >> forums have a number of benefits so I hope you'll give them a
    >> chance.

    > They don't have the benefits of speed, plain text and threaded news
    > readers. Has anybody at MSFT tried them from, say, a 1 Mb/s Internet
    > connection? Has anybody at MSFT ever used a proper news reader?
    > They ought to give it a try they will be astonished by how quick it
    > is.
    > It's also not too difficult to formulate a question, or reply, in
    > plain text, the 'rich experience' of HTML and garish colours just
    > slows things down and doubles the load on the Internet without
    > adding anything to the intelligibility of the message.

    But they have more Bling - must be better.

    Bo Persson

    Bo Persson, Jul 3, 2010
  17. R. C. White

    kraut Guest

    On 3 Jul 2010 08:03:43 GMT, "Jeff Gaines" <>
    wrote:

    >>I believe you’ll find the community is quite active there. The forums
    >>have a number of benefits so I hope you’ll give them a chance.

    >They don't have the benefits of speed, plain text and threaded news
    >readers. Has anybody at MSFT tried them from, say, a 1 Mb/s Internet
    >connection? Has anybody at MSFT ever used a proper news reader? They ought
    >to give it a try they will be astonished by how quick it is.
    >
    >It's also not too difficult to formulate a question, or reply, in plain
    >text, the 'rich experience' of HTML and garish colours just slows things
    >down and doubles the load on the Internet without adding anything to the
    >intelligibility of the message.

    I so agree with you.

    Most of the people I interact with are moving to their ISPs with the
    news groups or finding free news servers.

    kraut, Jul 3, 2010
  18. R. C. White

    John Turco Guest

    Bo Persson wrote:

    > John Turco wrote:
    > >
    > > Good luck to you, and to all the other regular members here, as well.
    > > Microsoft has scheduled "microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general" for
    > > a July 1, 2010 closure (i.e., tomorrow), and yet I remain fairly
    > > hopeful that this particular newsgroup can withstand such a cruel
    > > measure.

    > Here and now it already is tomorrow. We'll see what happens. :)
    >
    > Bo Persson

    Okay, we're several days into July, now. This newsgroup's daily
    activity hasn't decreased...if anything, it's gone >up<!

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 5, 2010
  19. R. C. White

    John Turco Guest

    "R. C. White" wrote:

    > John Turco wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > > Now, you must figure out how to post properly. "Content Type" should be
    > > plain text, rather than your current setting (which appears to be HTML,
    > > or similar).

    > Hi, John.
    >
    > Thanks to a kick in the pants from Jeff Gaines yesterday, I finally figured
    > out that I was 180 out of sync on the Plain Text/HTML switches. I HOPE that
    > this one is properly in Plain Text.

    There remain some things amiss, alas. Your reply lacked the double "> >"
    characters (only single ones were shown), in front of my quoted text; so,
    I added them manually. (These ">" puppies must be configured properly,
    for coherency's sake.)

    Further, your habit of top-posting makes it difficult to keep track of
    a discussion. You should either bottom-post, or use the "in line" method,
    as I usually do.

    > > Good luck to you, and to all the other regular members here, as well.
    > > Microsoft has scheduled "microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general" for
    > > a July 1, 2010 closure (i.e.,> tomorrow), and yet > I remain fairly
    > > hopeful that this particular newsgroup can withstand such a cruel
    > > measure.

    > It's now July 1 in Texas, so we'll see if this message gets through on the
    > Msnews server. But I'm already subscribed on my ISP's news server, too, so
    > I've been reading all these messages twice for the past couple of days. As
    > John John notes, other closed NGs here continued for just a few days after
    > the official closure date - and then disappeared.
    >
    > RC

    Well, <news:microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general> is still going strong,
    it seems.

    (I hope you had an enjoyable Independence Day, R.C.!)

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 5, 2010
  20. R. C. White

    John Turco Guest

    Jeff Gaines wrote:

    > On 02/07/2010 in message <> Keith
    > Combs wrote:
    >
    > >I believe you’ll find the community is quite active there. The forums
    > >have a number of benefits so I hope you’ll give them a chance.

    > They don't have the benefits of speed, plain text and threaded news
    > readers. Has anybody at MSFT tried them from, say, a 1 Mb/s Internet
    > connection? Has anybody at MSFT ever used a proper news reader? They ought
    > to give it a try they will be astonished by how quick it is.
    >
    > It's also not too difficult to formulate a question, or reply, in plain
    > text, the 'rich experience' of HTML and garish colours just slows things
    > down and doubles the load on the Internet without adding anything to the
    > intelligibility of the message.

    Well said, and absolutely true.

    --
    Cordially,