    to park the hard drives?

    Thank you,

    Charles
    Guest, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Guest

    T-Bone Guest

    <> wrote
    > I have to move some PC's from one office to the other, what is the best

    way
    > to park the hard drives?

    You must disengage the drive gear. If they are newer drives that are
    automatic, you just have to find the selector on the drive and move it to P.
    Older drives have a manual setting that have to be changed to N or neutral.

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    If you can't find it, grind it
    T-Bone, Oct 18, 2004

  3. Right. On the manual ones, don't forget to set the brake!
    dwilson

    Daniel Wilson, Oct 18, 2004
  4. Guest

    Neil Guest

    incase you missed it "T-Bone" <reply2me@thenewsgroup> said in

    > <> wrote
    >> I have to move some PC's from one office to the other, what is the
    >> best

    > way
    >> to park the hard drives?

    > You must disengage the drive gear. If they are newer drives that are
    > automatic, you just have to find the selector on the drive and move it
    > to P. Older drives have a manual setting that have to be changed to N
    > or neutral.
    >
    > T-Bone
    > MCNGP XL
    > If you can't find it, grind it

    I find the most difficult issue is the parallel parking of Hard Drives.
    and always remember to use the emrgency brake when parking the drive on
    an incline....

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Oct 18, 2004
  5. Guest

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > <> wrote
    > > I have to move some PC's from one office to the other, what is the best

    > way
    > > to park the hard drives?

    > You must disengage the drive gear. If they are newer drives that are
    > automatic, you just have to find the selector on the drive and move it to

    P.
    > Older drives have a manual setting that have to be changed to N or

    neutral.

    The transmission is indeed the best brake. But it never hurts to have the
    parking brake on.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    first initial last name AT gmail DOT com
    Ken Briscoe, Oct 18, 2004
  6. Guest

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, T-Bone climbed on a soapbox &
    opined:

    > <> wrote
    >> I have to move some PC's from one office to the other, what is the
    >> best

    > way
    >> to park the hard drives?

    > You must disengage the drive gear. If they are newer drives that are
    > automatic, you just have to find the selector on the drive and move it
    > to P. Older drives have a manual setting that have to be changed to N
    > or neutral.

    If they don't have the newer auto selector, I found that just attaching a
    large magnet to the side of the drive will usually stop it from slopping
    around. If that doesn't work, you can always drill a hole through the
    platters, and secure them in place with a bicycle lock.

    JaR
    Helpful Candidate
    JaR, Oct 18, 2004
  7. Guest

    Doom Guest

    > <> wrote
    >> I have to move some PC's from one office to the other, what is the best

    > way
    >> to park the hard drives?

    > You must disengage the drive gear. If they are newer drives that are
    > automatic, you just have to find the selector on the drive and move it to
    > P.
    > Older drives have a manual setting that have to be changed to N or
    > neutral.

    My drive doesn't have a P or N. It only has M, CS, and S. Now obviously the
    M stands for manual but what do the other ones stand for?

    Doom
    Gullible Thug
    Doom, Oct 18, 2004
  8. "Doom" <> wrote in message

    > "T-Bone" <reply2me@thenewsgroup> wrote in message
    > > <> wrote
    > >> I have to move some PC's from one office to the other, what is the best

    > > way
    > >> to park the hard drives?

    > > You must disengage the drive gear. If they are newer drives that are
    > > automatic, you just have to find the selector on the drive and move it

    > > P.
    > > Older drives have a manual setting that have to be changed to N or
    > > neutral.
    > >

    > My drive doesn't have a P or N. It only has M, CS, and S. Now obviously

    the
    > M stands for manual but what do the other ones stand for?
    >
    > Doom
    > Gullible Thug

    Ah, yours would be a British drive. S is for Start and CS for Canadian
    Start -- for cold-weather operation.
    Daniel Wilson, Oct 18, 2004
  9. Guest

    Consultant Guest

    slow and crazy slow

    Consultant, Oct 18, 2004
  10. Guest

    Doom Guest

    > Ah, yours would be a British drive. S is for Start and CS for Canadian
    > Start -- for cold-weather operation.

    Oh, that's what I thought but I didn't want to sound stupid by mentioning
    it.
    Doom, Oct 18, 2004
  11. Guest

    catwalker63 Guest

    "Consultant" <consultant_mcngp@yahoodotcom> prattled ceaslessly in

    > slow and crazy slow

    That would be a Western Digital drive then?

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    "Definitely not wearing any underwear."
    catwalker63, Oct 19, 2004
  12. >what is the best way
    >to park the hard drives?

    get the valet to do it.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Oct 19, 2004
  13. Guest

    Mike T. Guest

    "Doom" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > My drive doesn't have a P or N. It only has M, CS, and S. Now obviously

    the
    > M stands for manual but what do the other ones stand for?
    >
    > Doom
    > Gullible Thug

    Strike and Counter Strike?

    --
    Mike T.
    MCNGP #XLI
    Mike T., Oct 19, 2004
  14. Guest

    Mike T. Guest

    "Ken Briscoe" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > The transmission is indeed the best brake. But it never hurts to have the
    > parking brake on.

    Don't get me started on transmissions. Mine went bad, and I'm trying to deal
    with Hyundai in California to see if I can still get it under warranty. The
    problem is the fact that the car now resides in Germany (took it with us
    when we moved). I'm not too optimistic. This is the SECOND one that crapped
    out on us...they DID replace the first one NQA, though (we were still back
    in NY at the time).

    --
    Mike T.
    MCNGP #XLI
    Mike T., Oct 19, 2004
  15. Guest

    Neil Guest

    incase you missed it "Doom" <> said in

    > didn't want to sound stupid by mentioning
    > it.

    feh, that ship has sailed....
    ;)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Oct 19, 2004
  16. Guest

    Doom Guest

    > incase you missed it "Doom" <> said in
    >
    >> didn't want to sound stupid by mentioning
    >> it.
    >>

    > feh, that ship has sailed....
    > ;)

    OWWWW that one stung.
    Doom, Oct 19, 2004
  17. Guest

    > OWWWW that one stung.

    hmmmmmmmmmmm, was it a wise thing to annouy someone with an
    "emasculator"....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Oct 19, 2004
  18. Guest

    catwalker63 Guest

    "Mike T." <root@127.0.0.1> prattled ceaslessly in

    > "Ken Briscoe" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>
    >> The transmission is indeed the best brake. But it never hurts to have
    >> the parking brake on.
    >>

    > Don't get me started on transmissions. Mine went bad, and I'm trying
    > to deal with Hyundai in California to see if I can still get it under
    > warranty. The problem is the fact that the car now resides in Germany
    > (took it with us when we moved). I'm not too optimistic. This is the
    > SECOND one that crapped out on us...they DID replace the first one
    > NQA, though (we were still back in NY at the time).

    Bummer! I traded in my Ford Probe when the transmission was going. Got
    a Camry. I love my Camry.

    BTW: Why, by all that is holy, would you take a Hyundai to Germany????

    catwalker63, Oct 20, 2004
  19. Guest

    catwalker63 Guest

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere <.> prattled ceaslessly in

    >>what is the best way
    >>to park the hard drives?

    > get the valet to do it.
    >
    > Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    I don't trust valets with my car! What makes you think you can trust
    them with a hard drive!!!

    catwalker63, Oct 20, 2004
  20. Guest

    T-Bone Guest

    <> wrote
    > I have to move some PC's from one office to the other, what is the best

    way
    > to park the hard drives?

    On the serious side, how long has it been since hard drives started to
    auto-park themselves? I remember from my first job that we had to park the
    drives on the original IBM PC XTs before we moved them.

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    "That's nothing. Heck, when I was a kid we had to walk uphill to and from
    school..."
    T-Bone, Oct 20, 2004