moving "my documents and settings\user\local settings\temp"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by FredHead, Jan 14, 2007.

  1. FredHead

    FredHead Guest

    I setup XP on a 10 gigabyte partition.

    I installed most of my applications into the next partition.

    Some applications I run, create huge TEMP/TMP files into the
    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\TEMP/TMP
    folders, thereby filling up the partition with the XP
    installation.

    I've tried changing the environment variables to use an
    adjacent partition, but apparently I'm not formatting it
    correctly.

    I've searched MKB, but the articles I can find relating to
    this don't speak of the syntax used to do this.

    I tried changing from this:
    > %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

    to this:
    > %USERPROFILE%\E:\TEMP

    after creating that directory, [E:\TEMP], which is on the
    adjacent partition, and some applications would not start,
    others reported memory read errors etc., when I tried to use
    them.

    I tried to un-install an application which when I tried to
    start, caused numerous errors. My thinking was that if I
    reinstall it after
    changing this variable it would work, but because of making
    this variable change I couldn't even do this.

    Can someone help me out with how to change where these apps
    create their temp files please?

    fredhead
    FredHead, Jan 14, 2007

  2. FredHead

    jimmycricket Guest

    %userprofile% holds the path to your c:\documents and
    settings\YOURNAME\..... so xp is looking at c:\documents and
    settings\yourname\......e:\temp

    You would have to change this to just read e:\tempfile without the
    %userprofile%\ part

    jimmycricket, Jan 14, 2007

  3. FredHead wrote:
    > I setup XP on a 10 gigabyte partition.
    >
    > I installed most of my applications into the next partition.
    >
    > Some applications I run, create huge TEMP/TMP files into the
    > C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\TEMP/TMP
    > folders, thereby filling up the partition with the XP
    > installation.
    >
    > I've tried changing the environment variables to use an
    > adjacent partition, but apparently I'm not formatting it
    > correctly.
    >
    > I've searched MKB, but the articles I can find relating to
    > this don't speak of the syntax used to do this.
    >
    > I tried changing from this:
    >> %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

    > to this:
    >> %USERPROFILE%\E:\TEMP

    > after creating that directory, [E:\TEMP], which is on the
    > adjacent partition, and some applications would not start,
    > others reported memory read errors etc., when I tried to use
    > them.
    >
    > I tried to un-install an application which when I tried to
    > start, caused numerous errors. My thinking was that if I
    > reinstall it after
    > changing this variable it would work, but because of making
    > this variable change I couldn't even do this.
    >
    > Can someone help me out with how to change where these apps
    > create their temp files please?
    >
    > fredhead

    Right click on "My Computer", select "Properties", select "Advanced", select
    "Environment Variables", make the changes as required in BOTH windows
    GreenieLeBrun, Jan 14, 2007
  4. FredHead

    FredHead Guest

    jimmycricket wrote:
    > %userprofile% holds the path to your c:\documents and
    > settings\YOURNAME\..... so xp is looking at c:\documents and
    > settings\yourname\......e:\temp
    >
    > You would have to change this to just read e:\tempfile without the
    > %userprofile%\ part

    Thank you so much my friend! I am so eternally grateful, it
    worked!

    fredhead

    FredHead, Jan 14, 2007
  5. FredHead wrote:

    > I setup XP on a 10 gigabyte partition.
    >
    > I installed most of my applications into the next partition.
    >
    > Some applications I run, create huge TEMP/TMP files into the
    > C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\TEMP/TMP folders,
    > thereby filling up the partition with the XP installation.
    >
    > I've tried changing the environment variables to use an adjacent
    > partition, but apparently I'm not formatting it correctly.
    >
    > I've searched MKB, but the articles I can find relating to this don't
    > speak of the syntax used to do this.
    >
    > I tried changing from this:
    > > %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

    > to this:
    > > %USERPROFILE%\E:\TEMP

    > after creating that directory, [E:\TEMP], which is on the adjacent
    > partition, and some applications would not start, others reported
    > memory read errors etc., when I tried to use them.
    >
    > I tried to un-install an application which when I tried to start,
    > caused numerous errors. My thinking was that if I reinstall it after
    > changing this variable it would work, but because of making this
    > variable change I couldn't even do this.
    >
    > Can someone help me out with how to change where these apps create
    > their temp files please?
    >
    > fredhead

    Why don't you just use a cleaning program like CrapCleaner once a day
    to get rid of them.(you can find a link to it on my pages)

    max
    --
    Playing Nice on Usenet:
    My Pages:
    What's in a Name?, Jan 14, 2007
  6. FredHead

    FredHead Guest

    jimmycricket wrote:
    > %userprofile% holds the path to your c:\documents and
    > settings\YOURNAME\..... so xp is looking at c:\documents and
    > settings\yourname\......e:\temp
    >
    > You would have to change this to just read e:\tempfile without the
    > %userprofile%\ part

    Well...I may have spoken a little too soon. Actually, my
    apps are pretty much doing as they should, but my Windows
    installation directory is still filling up! Here is what
    my "environment variables," windows look like;

    User variables for [name]
    -------------------------
    E:\TEMP
    E:\TMP
    -------------------------

    System Variables
    -------------------------
    I changed TEMP locations from;
    %SystemRoot%\C:Windows\temp
    to simply
    E:\TEMP
    -------------------------

    Hopefully this will correct it. Hope Windows will actually
    start so I can report!

    FredHead, Jan 14, 2007
  7. FredHead

    FredHead Guest

    FredHead wrote:
    > jimmycricket wrote:
    >> %userprofile% holds the path to your c:\documents and
    >> settings\YOURNAME\..... so xp is looking at c:\documents and
    >> settings\yourname\......e:\temp
    >>
    >> You would have to change this to just read e:\tempfile without the
    >> %userprofile%\ part
    >>

    > Well...I may have spoken a little too soon. Actually, my apps are
    > pretty much doing as they should, but my Windows
    > installation directory is still filling up! Here is what
    > my "environment variables," windows look like;
    >
    > User variables for [name]
    > -------------------------
    > E:\TEMP
    > E:\TMP
    > -------------------------
    >
    > System Variables
    > -------------------------
    > I changed TEMP locations from;
    > %SystemRoot%\C:Windows\temp
    > to simply
    > E:\TEMP
    > -------------------------
    >
    > Hopefully this will correct it. Hope Windows will actually start so I
    > can report!
    >

    >> FredHead wrote:
    >>> I tried changing from this:
    >>>
    >>> to this:
    >>>
    >>> after creating that directory, [E:\TEMP], which is on the
    >>> adjacent partition, and some applications would not start,
    >>> others reported memory read errors etc., when I tried to use
    >>> them.
    >>>
    >>> I tried to un-install an application which when I tried to
    >>> start, caused numerous errors. My thinking was that if I
    >>> reinstall it after
    >>> changing this variable it would work, but because of making
    >>> this variable change I couldn't even do this.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone help me out with how to change where these apps
    >>> create their temp files please?
    >>>
    >>> fredhead

    Well dammit, that didn't work either......!
    FredHead, Jan 15, 2007
  8. FredHead

    FredHead Guest

    What's in a Name? wrote:
    > FredHead wrote:
    >
    >> I setup XP on a 10 gigabyte partition.
    >>
    >> I installed most of my applications into the next partition.
    >>
    >> Some applications I run, create huge TEMP/TMP files into the
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\TEMP/TMP folders,
    >> thereby filling up the partition with the XP installation.
    >>
    >> I've tried changing the environment variables to use an adjacent
    >> partition, but apparently I'm not formatting it correctly.
    >>
    >> I've searched MKB, but the articles I can find relating to this don't
    >> speak of the syntax used to do this.
    >>
    >> I tried changing from this:
    >>> %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

    >> to this:
    >>> %USERPROFILE%\E:\TEMP

    >> after creating that directory, [E:\TEMP], which is on the adjacent
    >> partition, and some applications would not start, others reported
    >> memory read errors etc., when I tried to use them.
    >>
    >> I tried to un-install an application which when I tried to start,
    >> caused numerous errors. My thinking was that if I reinstall it after
    >> changing this variable it would work, but because of making this
    >> variable change I couldn't even do this.
    >>
    >> Can someone help me out with how to change where these apps create
    >> their temp files please?
    >>
    >> fredhead

    > Why don't you just use a cleaning program like CrapCleaner once a day
    > to get rid of them.(you can find a link to it on my pages)
    >
    > max

    One major reason is because my applications don't finish
    their work before the partition is filled up. And of course
    when the offending app is quit, the temp files it creates go
    poof! anyway. Right now, until I can find a solution,
    I'm using Acronis disk director to increase the free space
    on the partition I need it on. That should work for now.

    fredhead
    FredHead, Jan 15, 2007
  9. FredHead

    Senti Guest

    FredHead wrote:
    > What's in a Name? wrote:
    >> FredHead wrote:
    >>
    >>> I setup XP on a 10 gigabyte partition.
    >>>
    >>> I installed most of my applications into the next partition.
    >>>
    >>> Some applications I run, create huge TEMP/TMP files into the
    >>> C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\TEMP/TMP folders,
    >>> thereby filling up the partition with the XP installation.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried changing the environment variables to use an adjacent
    >>> partition, but apparently I'm not formatting it correctly.
    >>>
    >>> I've searched MKB, but the articles I can find relating to this don't
    >>> speak of the syntax used to do this.
    >>>
    >>> I tried changing from this:
    >>> to this:
    >>> after creating that directory, [E:\TEMP], which is on the adjacent
    >>> partition, and some applications would not start, others reported
    >>> memory read errors etc., when I tried to use them.
    >>>
    >>> I tried to un-install an application which when I tried to start,
    >>> caused numerous errors. My thinking was that if I reinstall it after
    >>> changing this variable it would work, but because of making this
    >>> variable change I couldn't even do this.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone help me out with how to change where these apps create
    >>> their temp files please?
    >>>
    >>> fredhead

    >> Why don't you just use a cleaning program like CrapCleaner once a day
    >> to get rid of them.(you can find a link to it on my pages)
    >>
    >> max

    > One major reason is because my applications don't finish their work
    > before the partition is filled up. And of course
    > when the offending app is quit, the temp files it creates go poof!
    > anyway. Right now, until I can find a solution,
    > I'm using Acronis disk director to increase the free space on the
    > partition I need it on. That should work for now.
    >
    > fredhead

    I have never run XP in an partition larger than 10GB and have never had
    the problem you are having. What apps are you running that are filling
    up your XP partition? You may want to check and see if there is a way
    to change the temp file location from within the app(s) you're using.

    I believe Photoshop, as an example, defaults to placing the scratch disk
    in your Documents & Settings folder (though I may be misremembering).
    Senti, Jan 16, 2007
  10. FredHead

    FredHead Guest

    Senti wrote:
    > FredHead wrote:
    >> What's in a Name? wrote:

    >>> Why don't you just use a cleaning program like CrapCleaner once a day
    >>> to get rid of them.(you can find a link to it on my pages)
    >>>
    >>> max

    >> One major reason is because my applications don't finish their work
    >> before the partition is filled up. And of course
    >> when the offending app is quit, the temp files it creates go poof!
    >> anyway. Right now, until I can find a solution,
    >> I'm using Acronis disk director to increase the free space on the
    >> partition I need it on. That should work for now.
    >>
    >> fredhead

    > I have never run XP in an partition larger than 10GB and have never had
    > the problem you are having. What apps are you running that are filling
    > up your XP partition? You may want to check and see if there is a way
    > to change the temp file location from within the app(s) you're using.
    >
    > I believe Photoshop, as an example, defaults to placing the scratch disk
    > in your Documents & Settings folder (though I may be misremembering).

    Mozy. Though their support pages mention this problem, they
    are inaccurate in demonstrating how to fix it. They did
    email me about what to do however, and we got it done. If
    anyone here needs to know, I can post that info.

    Thankyou,
    fredhead
    FredHead, Jan 17, 2007
  11. FredHead

    Senti Guest

    FredHead wrote:
    > Senti wrote:
    >> FredHead wrote:

    >>> One major reason is because my applications don't finish their work
    >>> before the partition is filled up. And of course
    >>> when the offending app is quit, the temp files it creates go poof!
    >>> anyway. Right now, until I can find a solution,
    >>> I'm using Acronis disk director to increase the free space on the
    >>> partition I need it on. That should work for now.
    >>>
    >>> fredhead

    >> I have never run XP in an partition larger than 10GB and have never
    >> had the problem you are having. What apps are you running that are
    >> filling up your XP partition? You may want to check and see if there
    >> is a way to change the temp file location from within the app(s)
    >> you're using.
    >>
    >> I believe Photoshop, as an example, defaults to placing the scratch
    >> disk in your Documents & Settings folder (though I may be
    >> misremembering).

    > Mozy. Though their support pages mention this problem, they are
    > inaccurate in demonstrating how to fix it. They did email me about what
    > to do however, and we got it done. If
    > anyone here needs to know, I can post that info.
    >
    > Thankyou,
    > fredhead

    Definitely post the fix here. That way if someone else with the same
    problem runs across this thread, they'll see how you fixed it. :)
    Senti, Jan 17, 2007
  12. FredHead

    FredHead Guest

    Senti wrote:
    > FredHead wrote:
    >> Senti wrote:

    >>> I have never run XP in an partition larger than 10GB and have never
    >>> had the problem you are having. What apps are you running that are
    >>> filling up your XP partition? You may want to check and see if there
    >>> is a way to change the temp file location from within the app(s)
    >>> you're using.
    >>>
    >>> I believe Photoshop, as an example, defaults to placing the scratch
    >>> disk in your Documents & Settings folder (though I may be
    >>> misremembering).

    >> Mozy. Though their support pages mention this problem, they are
    >> inaccurate in demonstrating how to fix it. They did email me about
    >> what to do however, and we got it done. If
    >> anyone here needs to know, I can post that info.
    >>
    >> Thankyou,
    >> fredhead

    > Definitely post the fix here. That way if someone else with the same
    > problem runs across this thread, they'll see how you fixed it. :)

    Essentially this is it, I'll precede my own [added]
    notations with an [*]

    > To change the location where Mozy encodes your files, try this:
    >
    > 1. Right click My Computer and select Properties
    > 2. Go to the Advanced tab.
    > 3. Click the Environment Variables tab.
    > 4. Change the temp and tmp variables in your Global Settings to D:\temp or some other drive and folder that has room to grow.
    > 5. Click OK
    > 6. Click OK

    * I also changed the variables in the "system variables," to
    reflect the same TEMP/TMP locations I used according to the
    instructions 1-6. I've seen no problem due to that.
    The following, is what they left out on their support pages
    where it does mention the first 6 steps.
    > 7. Open the Control Panel
    > 8. Double click Administrative Tools
    > 9. Double click Services
    > 10. Find and double click the Mozy Backup service
    > 11. Go to the Log On tab.
    > 12. Select 'Local System User'

    * on my machine "local system account"
    > 13. Click OK
    > 14. Reboot your computer

    * Again, I think they were incomplete here, because I also
    had to check the "allow to interact with desktop" box.

    fredhead
    FredHead, Jan 17, 2007