Moving Kubuntu VM from one host to another - What to do to make it pain-less?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Oct 1, 2007.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    I need to move a Kubuntu VM from one host machine to another. The
    current host is running WinXP Home, the new one will probably be
    running same, but as far as I understand it, the host OS doesn't
    matter much (?) - it is the underlying hardware that will possibly
    cause the VM to have issues.

    Kubuntu was installed as 7.0.4 but has been updated as of yesterday
    with all latest updates. I am using VMWare Server.

    Is there anything I should know or do to help make this less
    painfull - or will it be dead easy?

    Thanks,
    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Oct 1, 2007

  2. Alan

    Allistar Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I need to move a Kubuntu VM from one host machine to another. The
    > current host is running WinXP Home, the new one will probably be
    > running same, but as far as I understand it, the host OS doesn't
    > matter much (?) - it is the underlying hardware that will possibly
    > cause the VM to have issues.
    >
    > Kubuntu was installed as 7.0.4 but has been updated as of yesterday
    > with all latest updates. I am using VMWare Server.
    >
    > Is there anything I should know or do to help make this less
    > painfull - or will it be dead easy?
    >
    > Thanks,

    A simple file copy of the VM to the new host should do it. As lon as the
    VMWare software is the same version on both hosts.
    --
    A.
    Allistar, Oct 1, 2007

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I need to move a Kubuntu VM from one host machine to another. The
    >> current host is running WinXP Home, the new one will probably be
    >> running same, but as far as I understand it, the host OS doesn't
    >> matter much (?) - it is the underlying hardware that will possibly
    >> cause the VM to have issues.
    >>
    >> Kubuntu was installed as 7.0.4 but has been updated as of yesterday
    >> with all latest updates. I am using VMWare Server.
    >>
    >> Is there anything I should know or do to help make this less
    >> painfull - or will it be dead easy?
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    > A simple file copy of the VM to the new host should do it. As lon as
    > the
    > VMWare software is the same version on both hosts.
    > --
    > A.

    Wow - 6 mins response!

    Won't Kubuntu notice that the underlying hardware has changed? If so,
    isn't that likely to cause issues with drivers etc?

    I realise that I could just try it, but I haven't got the new hardware
    ready yet, so I am just trying to anticipate issues before I get
    there - perhaps I am being too pessimistic??

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    Alan, Oct 1, 2007
  4. Alan

    Shane Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> Alan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I need to move a Kubuntu VM from one host machine to another. The
    >>> current host is running WinXP Home, the new one will probably be
    >>> running same, but as far as I understand it, the host OS doesn't
    >>> matter much (?) - it is the underlying hardware that will possibly
    >>> cause the VM to have issues.
    >>>
    >>> Kubuntu was installed as 7.0.4 but has been updated as of yesterday
    >>> with all latest updates. I am using VMWare Server.
    >>>
    >>> Is there anything I should know or do to help make this less
    >>> painfull - or will it be dead easy?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,

    >> A simple file copy of the VM to the new host should do it. As lon as
    >> the
    >> VMWare software is the same version on both hosts.
    >> --
    >> A.

    > Wow - 6 mins response!
    >
    > Won't Kubuntu notice that the underlying hardware has changed? If so,
    > isn't that likely to cause issues with drivers etc?
    >
    > I realise that I could just try it, but I haven't got the new hardware
    > ready yet, so I am just trying to anticipate issues before I get
    > there - perhaps I am being too pessimistic??
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan.

    Shouldnt be an issue.
    In theory Kubuntu, like any other OS, will just alert you to the new
    hardware detected, and if need be install new drivers.
    It shouldnt be any different to moving an installed OS on a HDD from one
    machine to another.
    --
    Hardware: n, Parts of a computer that you can kick.
    Shane, Oct 1, 2007
  5. Alan

    Enkidu Guest

    Re: Moving Kubuntu VM from one host to another - What to do to makeit pain-less?

    Alan wrote:
    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> Alan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I need to move a Kubuntu VM from one host machine to another. The
    >>> current host is running WinXP Home, the new one will probably be
    >>> running same, but as far as I understand it, the host OS doesn't
    >>> matter much (?) - it is the underlying hardware that will possibly
    >>> cause the VM to have issues.
    >>>
    >>> Kubuntu was installed as 7.0.4 but has been updated as of yesterday
    >>> with all latest updates. I am using VMWare Server.
    >>>
    >>> Is there anything I should know or do to help make this less
    >>> painfull - or will it be dead easy?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,

    >> A simple file copy of the VM to the new host should do it. As lon as
    >> the
    >> VMWare software is the same version on both hosts.
    >> --
    >> A.

    > Wow - 6 mins response!
    >
    > Won't Kubuntu notice that the underlying hardware has changed? If so,
    > isn't that likely to cause issues with drivers etc?
    >
    > I realise that I could just try it, but I haven't got the new hardware
    > ready yet, so I am just trying to anticipate issues before I get
    > there - perhaps I am being too pessimistic??

    VMWare server provides the virtual hardware that the VM runs on. It
    should be the same.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Oct 1, 2007
  6. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I need to move a Kubuntu VM from one host machine to another. The
    >> current host is running WinXP Home, the new one will probably be
    >> running same, but as far as I understand it, the host OS doesn't
    >> matter much (?) - it is the underlying hardware that will possibly
    >> cause the VM to have issues.
    >>
    >> Kubuntu was installed as 7.0.4 but has been updated as of yesterday
    >> with all latest updates. I am using VMWare Server.
    >>
    >> Is there anything I should know or do to help make this less
    >> painfull - or will it be dead easy?
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    > A simple file copy of the VM to the new host should do it. As lon as
    > the
    > VMWare software is the same version on both hosts.
    > --
    > A.

    Regarding the VMWare Software. I am currently running VMWare Server
    1.0.3, but version 1.0.4 is out now. Is there any issue if I install
    1.0.4 on the new machine and then just copy the VM over, or would I be
    better running an update to 1.0.4 on the old machine first to bring
    them together before migrating the VM?

    Any experience or comments anyone?

    Thanks!

    Alan, Oct 1, 2007
  7. Alan

    Allistar Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> Alan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I need to move a Kubuntu VM from one host machine to another. The
    >>> current host is running WinXP Home, the new one will probably be
    >>> running same, but as far as I understand it, the host OS doesn't
    >>> matter much (?) - it is the underlying hardware that will possibly
    >>> cause the VM to have issues.
    >>>
    >>> Kubuntu was installed as 7.0.4 but has been updated as of yesterday
    >>> with all latest updates. I am using VMWare Server.
    >>>
    >>> Is there anything I should know or do to help make this less
    >>> painfull - or will it be dead easy?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,

    >> A simple file copy of the VM to the new host should do it. As lon as
    >> the
    >> VMWare software is the same version on both hosts.
    >> --
    >> A.

    > Regarding the VMWare Software. I am currently running VMWare Server
    > 1.0.3, but version 1.0.4 is out now. Is there any issue if I install
    > 1.0.4 on the new machine and then just copy the VM over, or would I be
    > better running an update to 1.0.4 on the old machine first to bring
    > them together before migrating the VM?
    >
    > Any experience or comments anyone?

    I use VMWare Workstation myself, but it would be safer to upgrade to 1.04 on
    the old computer first to make sure the VMs are compatible, then move them
    to the new box.

    I often copy VMs from people to do diagnostics of software I have developed.

    --
    A.
    Allistar, Oct 1, 2007
  8. Alan

    Allistar Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> Alan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I need to move a Kubuntu VM from one host machine to another. The
    >>> current host is running WinXP Home, the new one will probably be
    >>> running same, but as far as I understand it, the host OS doesn't
    >>> matter much (?) - it is the underlying hardware that will possibly
    >>> cause the VM to have issues.
    >>>
    >>> Kubuntu was installed as 7.0.4 but has been updated as of yesterday
    >>> with all latest updates. I am using VMWare Server.
    >>>
    >>> Is there anything I should know or do to help make this less
    >>> painfull - or will it be dead easy?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,

    >> A simple file copy of the VM to the new host should do it. As lon as
    >> the
    >> VMWare software is the same version on both hosts.
    >> --
    >> A.

    > Wow - 6 mins response!
    >
    > Won't Kubuntu notice that the underlying hardware has changed? If so,
    > isn't that likely to cause issues with drivers etc?

    No, the VM software abstracts all of that out. The VM itself knows nothing
    of the physical hardware. It does know device names (the virtual DVD drive
    for example may be set to /dev/dvd or /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 - when you start
    up the VM on the new box make sure the device mappings are still sane. I'd
    expect it complain if they weren't anyway).

    > I realise that I could just try it, but I haven't got the new hardware
    > ready yet, so I am just trying to anticipate issues before I get
    > there - perhaps I am being too pessimistic??

    I've copied VMs between machines before with absolutely no issues. This is
    between hosts running different distributions too (e.g. I can copy a VM
    from an SLES9 host to a Gentoo host and have no problems at all - that is
    with VMWare Workstation, but Server should fare the same).

    --
    A.
    Allistar, Oct 1, 2007
  9. Alan

    Allistar Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > Alan wrote:
    >

    >> "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    >>> A simple file copy of the VM to the new host should do it. As lon as
    >>> the
    >>> VMWare software is the same version on both hosts.
    >>> --
    >>> A.

    >> Wow - 6 mins response!
    >>
    >> Won't Kubuntu notice that the underlying hardware has changed? If so,
    >> isn't that likely to cause issues with drivers etc?
    >>
    >> I realise that I could just try it, but I haven't got the new hardware
    >> ready yet, so I am just trying to anticipate issues before I get
    >> there - perhaps I am being too pessimistic??
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Alan.
    >>

    > Shouldnt be an issue.
    > In theory Kubuntu, like any other OS, will just alert you to the new
    > hardware detected, and if need be install new drivers.
    > It shouldnt be any different to moving an installed OS on a HDD from one
    > machine to another.

    The VM only sees the virtualised hardware, which is identical on the same
    VMWare Server version no matter what hardware the host has. As mentioned in
    a different post the device mappings may need repointing.

    The VM OS itself won't have any idea that it is running on different real
    hardware - it can't know because the hardware *it* sees (the virtualised
    hardware) hasn't changed.
    --
    A.
    Allistar, Oct 1, 2007
  10. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > Shane wrote:
    >
    >> Alan wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    >>> Wow - 6 mins response!
    >>>
    >>> Won't Kubuntu notice that the underlying hardware has changed? If
    >>> so,
    >>> isn't that likely to cause issues with drivers etc?
    >>>
    >>> I realise that I could just try it, but I haven't got the new
    >>> hardware
    >>> ready yet, so I am just trying to anticipate issues before I get
    >>> there - perhaps I am being too pessimistic??
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Alan.
    >>>

    >> Shouldnt be an issue.
    >> In theory Kubuntu, like any other OS, will just alert you to the
    >> new
    >> hardware detected, and if need be install new drivers.
    >> It shouldnt be any different to moving an installed OS on a HDD
    >> from one
    >> machine to another.

    > The VM only sees the virtualised hardware, which is identical on the
    > same
    > VMWare Server version no matter what hardware the host has. As
    > mentioned in
    > a different post the device mappings may need repointing.
    >
    > The VM OS itself won't have any idea that it is running on different
    > real
    > hardware - it can't know because the hardware *it* sees (the
    > virtualised
    > hardware) hasn't changed.
    > --
    > A.

    Hi Allistair,

    That is somewhat diferent from what I had understood, so probably
    explains why I thought it would be more of an issue.

    Thanks,

    Alan, Oct 1, 2007
  11. Alan

    Alan wrote:
    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> Alan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I need to move a Kubuntu VM from one host machine to another. The
    >>> current host is running WinXP Home, the new one will probably be
    >>> running same, but as far as I understand it, the host OS doesn't
    >>> matter much (?) - it is the underlying hardware that will possibly
    >>> cause the VM to have issues.
    >>>
    >>> Kubuntu was installed as 7.0.4 but has been updated as of yesterday
    >>> with all latest updates. I am using VMWare Server.
    >>>
    >>> Is there anything I should know or do to help make this less
    >>> painfull - or will it be dead easy?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,

    >> A simple file copy of the VM to the new host should do it. As lon as
    >> the
    >> VMWare software is the same version on both hosts.
    >> --
    >> A.

    > Regarding the VMWare Software. I am currently running VMWare Server
    > 1.0.3, but version 1.0.4 is out now. Is there any issue if I install
    > 1.0.4 on the new machine and then just copy the VM over, or would I be
    > better running an update to 1.0.4 on the old machine first to bring
    > them together before migrating the VM?
    >
    > Any experience or comments anyone?

    My comment is that it is unlikely to matter.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Oct 2, 2007
  12. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Thanks Cliff - I'll be giving it a go on the weekend hopefully!

    Alan, Oct 3, 2007