    couldn't I?

    But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go about
    doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)

    ng_reader, May 16, 2005

  2. ng_reader

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 22:49:38 -0400, "ng_reader" <> wrote:

    >I have a newbie type question:
    >
    >Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
    >802.1b NetGear wireless router?
    >
    >I set the share up on the XP (source) machine, and I browsed to it via the
    >ME (target), but I was not able to copy it over.

    Why not? What was the error message?

    >So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that means,
    >couldn't I?
    >
    >But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go about
    >doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)

    You should be able to copy files either way over the LAN, if you set up sharing correctly on
    both machines. Try logging on the ME box as the administrator instead of you, or the default.

    Unk, May 16, 2005

  3. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    wrote:

    > >I have a newbie type question:
    > >
    > >Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
    > >802.1b NetGear wireless router?
    > >
    > >I set the share up on the XP (source) machine, and I browsed to it via

    the
    > >ME (target), but I was not able to copy it over.

    > Why not? What was the error message?
    > >
    > >So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that

    means,
    > >couldn't I?
    > >
    > >But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go about
    > >doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)
    > >

    > You should be able to copy files either way over the LAN, if you set up

    sharing correctly on
    > both machines. Try logging on the ME box as the administrator instead of

    you, or the default.

    I did get an error message telling I COULD NOT copy, or something like that.

    As for ME, it doesn't have "rights privileges" as part of it's operating
    system. The only thing it does have, are personalities or something, which
    allow your machine to remember passwords (thanks Microsoft!)

    So, I don't think that's it.

    ng_reader, May 16, 2005
  4. ng_reader

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 23:04:53 -0400, "ng_reader" <> wrote:

    >"Unk" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 15 May 2005 22:49:38 -0400, "ng_reader" <>

    >wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a newbie type question:
    >> >
    >> >Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
    >> >802.1b NetGear wireless router?
    >> >
    >> >I set the share up on the XP (source) machine, and I browsed to it via

    >the
    >> >ME (target), but I was not able to copy it over.

    >> Why not? What was the error message?
    >> >
    >> >So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that

    >means,
    >> >couldn't I?
    >> >
    >> >But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go about
    >> >doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)
    >> >

    >> You should be able to copy files either way over the LAN, if you set up

    >sharing correctly on
    >> both machines. Try logging on the ME box as the administrator instead of

    >you, or the default.
    >
    >I did get an error message telling I COULD NOT copy, or something like that.
    >
    >As for ME, it doesn't have "rights privileges" as part of it's operating
    >system. The only thing it does have, are personalities or something, which
    >allow your machine to remember passwords (thanks Microsoft!)
    >
    >So, I don't think that's it.

    Click Start, "Log Off" whoever, and log back on as "administrator". Shut down, reboot and you
    should have administrator rights on the ME box when it restartes.

    Unk, May 16, 2005
  5. ng_reader

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "ng_reader" <> wrote in message

    > "Unk" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 15 May 2005 22:49:38 -0400, "ng_reader" <>

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a newbie type question:
    >> >
    >> >Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
    >> >802.1b NetGear wireless router?
    >> >
    >> >I set the share up on the XP (source) machine, and I browsed to it via

    > the
    >> >ME (target), but I was not able to copy it over.

    >> Why not? What was the error message?
    >> >
    >> >So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that

    > means,
    >> >couldn't I?
    >> >
    >> >But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go
    >> >about
    >> >doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)
    >> >

    >> You should be able to copy files either way over the LAN, if you set up

    > sharing correctly on
    >> both machines. Try logging on the ME box as the administrator instead of

    > you, or the default.
    >
    > I did get an error message telling I COULD NOT copy, or something like
    > that.
    >
    > As for ME, it doesn't have "rights privileges" as part of it's operating
    > system. The only thing it does have, are personalities or something, which
    > allow your machine to remember passwords (thanks Microsoft!)
    >
    > So, I don't think that's it.

    Okay - so how about the EXACT error message? And can you copy small files
    okay? Did you run the Windows XP Home Networking Setup Wizard?

    Toolman Tim, May 16, 2005
  6. ng_reader

    Old Gringo Guest

    ng_reader wrote:
    > I have a newbie type question:
    >
    > Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
    > 802.1b NetGear wireless router?
    >
    > I set the share up on the XP (source) machine, and I browsed to it via the
    > ME (target), but I was not able to copy it over.
    >
    > So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that means,
    > couldn't I?
    >
    > But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go about
    > doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)

    Know nothing about it. 14 day free trial ??
    http://www.filesdirect.com/info/Default.aspx?Aff=adword01
    Good Luck

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, May 16, 2005
  7. "ng_reader" <> wrote in message
    >I have a newbie type question:
    >
    > Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
    > 802.1b NetGear wireless router?

    Yeah, you can do it and might take you the next 15 or more hours to do it
    with wireless. And there is always the chance the ME machine crash if it has
    the wireless setup. Or there could be some other reason as to why the
    wireless as been interrupted that killed the connection. A wire connection
    will have it done in 1/4 the time and is more stable. Wireless is slower
    than wire especially since wireless *B* is only pushing at 11 Mbps max if
    you're lucky as opposed to a wire connection from the router pushing data at
    100 Mbps if the NIC is a 100 Mbps NIC. Heck even a 10 Mbps NIC is better
    than a wireless NIC pushing ay 11 if you're lucky.

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/index.asp

    The router has a built in switch on the wire ethernet side of the router.

    You may also want to check out Network speeds.

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    > So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that
    > means,
    > couldn't I?

    You could always buy some FTP software.

    > But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go about
    > doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)

    You can go buy some FTP software. There may be some FTP software that is
    free.

    I suggest you do MS File and Print Sharing on the MS O/S(s), use a wire
    connection which is more stable than wireless and won't be interrupted like
    wireless can be and it doesn't take much to interrupt wireless, and transfer
    or download large amounts with a wire connection because it's faster and
    more stable.

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 16, 2005
  8. ng_reader

    Old Gringo Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > ng_reader wrote:
    >
    >> I have a newbie type question:
    >>
    >> Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
    >> 802.1b NetGear wireless router?
    >>
    >> I set the share up on the XP (source) machine, and I browsed to it via
    >> the
    >> ME (target), but I was not able to copy it over.
    >>
    >> So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that
    >> means,
    >> couldn't I?
    >>
    >> But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go about
    >> doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)
    >>

    > Know nothing about it. 14 day free trial ??
    > http://www.filesdirect.com/info/Default.aspx?Aff=adword01
    > Good Luck

    Here is another one:
    http://www.qnext.com/downloads/qnext/

    Old Gringo, May 16, 2005
  9. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    "Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-)" <> wrote in message

    > "ng_reader" <> wrote in message
    > >I have a newbie type question:
    > >
    > > Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
    > > 802.1b NetGear wireless router?

    > Yeah, you can do it and might take you the next 15 or more hours to do it
    > with wireless. And there is always the chance the ME machine crash if it

    has
    > the wireless setup. Or there could be some other reason as to why the
    > wireless as been interrupted that killed the connection. A wire connection
    > will have it done in 1/4 the time and is more stable. Wireless is slower
    > than wire especially since wireless *B* is only pushing at 11 Mbps max if
    > you're lucky as opposed to a wire connection from the router pushing data

    at
    > 100 Mbps if the NIC is a 100 Mbps NIC. Heck even a 10 Mbps NIC is better
    > than a wireless NIC pushing ay 11 if you're lucky.
    >
    > http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/index.asp
    >
    > The router has a built in switch on the wire ethernet side of the router.
    >
    > You may also want to check out Network speeds.
    >

    > > I set the share up on the XP (source) machine, and I browsed to it via

    the
    > > ME (target), but I was not able to copy it over.

    > http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
    >

    > > So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that
    > > means,
    > > couldn't I?

    > You could always buy some FTP software.
    >

    > > But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go

    about
    > > doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)
    > >

    > You can go buy some FTP software. There may be some FTP software that is
    > free.
    >
    > I suggest you do MS File and Print Sharing on the MS O/S(s), use a wire
    > connection which is more stable than wireless and won't be interrupted

    like
    > wireless can be and it doesn't take much to interrupt wireless, and

    transfer
    > or download large amounts with a wire connection because it's faster and
    > more stable.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Thanks Duane. Sort of a brain fart. How am I supposed to think you're to
    *pay* for software???

    I reckon I was under the impression that FTP software was something I had to
    just "turn on" within windows running TCP-IP. Now, I reckon, not.

    Yes, I do realize that having a copper connection will be more reliable and
    faster. However, that's not a viable option.

    As for the exact error, I forget what it was. But, it was on the order of
    when you want a very large file erased (if I remember correctly) I can't put
    it in the recycle bin, it will just be deleted. Sort of along those lines,
    savvy?

    I'll continue. And review those links for FTP stuff. I do remember having a
    cute-ftp disc somewhere...

    ng_reader, May 16, 2005
  10. ng_reader

    Old Gringo Guest

    Old Gringo, May 16, 2005
  11. ng_reader

    Old Gringo Guest

    Old Gringo, May 16, 2005
  12. ng_reader

    Old Gringo Guest

    Old Gringo, May 16, 2005
  13. ng_reader

    Old Gringo Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > Old Gringo <> wrote:
    >

    >>Old Gringo wrote:

    >>>Great. Thanks.
    >>>

    >>OK Who did that?? :)

    > You have one guess, George.

    COOL how is it going?

    Old Gringo, May 16, 2005
  14. "ng_reader" <> wrote in message

    > "Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-)" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ng_reader" <> wrote in message
    >> >I have a newbie type question:
    >> >
    >> > Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
    >> > 802.1b NetGear wireless router?

    >> Yeah, you can do it and might take you the next 15 or more hours to do it
    >> with wireless. And there is always the chance the ME machine crash if it

    > has
    >> the wireless setup. Or there could be some other reason as to why the
    >> wireless as been interrupted that killed the connection. A wire
    >> connection
    >> will have it done in 1/4 the time and is more stable. Wireless is slower
    >> than wire especially since wireless *B* is only pushing at 11 Mbps max if
    >> you're lucky as opposed to a wire connection from the router pushing data

    > at
    >> 100 Mbps if the NIC is a 100 Mbps NIC. Heck even a 10 Mbps NIC is better
    >> than a wireless NIC pushing ay 11 if you're lucky.
    >>
    >> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/index.asp
    >>
    >> The router has a built in switch on the wire ethernet side of the router.
    >>
    >> You may also want to check out Network speeds.
    >>

    >> > I set the share up on the XP (source) machine, and I browsed to it via

    > the
    >> > ME (target), but I was not able to copy it over.

    >> http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
    >>

    >> > So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that
    >> > means,
    >> > couldn't I?

    >> You could always buy some FTP software.
    >>

    >> > But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go

    > about
    >> > doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)
    >> >

    >> You can go buy some FTP software. There may be some FTP software that is
    >> free.
    >>
    >> I suggest you do MS File and Print Sharing on the MS O/S(s), use a wire
    >> connection which is more stable than wireless and won't be interrupted

    > like
    >> wireless can be and it doesn't take much to interrupt wireless, and

    > transfer
    >> or download large amounts with a wire connection because it's faster and
    >> more stable.
    >>
    >> Duane :)
    >>

    > Thanks Duane. Sort of a brain fart. How am I supposed to think you're to
    > *pay* for software???
    >
    > I reckon I was under the impression that FTP software was something I had
    > just "turn on" within windows running TCP-IP. Now, I reckon, not.

    Yeah, you can turn FTP on with a NT based Pro or Server version of the O/S
    using IIS. If you don't have either type of O/S running, then you cannot do
    it. You could also enable the FTP between machines using MS Netmeeting's
    Remote Desktop Sharing and xfer files using FTP that way too.

    > Yes, I do realize that having a copper connection will be more reliable
    > and
    > faster. However, that's not a viable option.
    >
    > As for the exact error, I forget what it was. But, it was on the order of
    > when you want a very large file erased (if I remember correctly) I can't
    > put
    > it in the recycle bin, it will just be deleted. Sort of along those lines,
    > savvy?

    No you don't understand. If that wireless connection drops for any reason
    and they do drop you just don't see it happing like you could see it
    happening on a continuous wireless connection on a xfer or download, then
    you'll have to start over again. There is nothing that's going to save you.
    Do you savvy? If you can complete the xfer on wireless, then fine you have
    done it and may luck be with you. But you have the ME O/S involved and that
    alone you may not have any luck as it crashes and burns. I wouldn't give the
    ME O/S any excuse to go down and it doesn't take much with ME. ;-)

    The last time I looked most desktops could accommodate more than 1 NIC wire
    or wireless heck even my laptop has a wire and wireless connection. What
    does a wire NIC cost, like $10 at most? ;-)

    I have been there and done that on the wireless and on long downloads or
    xfers with ME involved and watched the POS crash and burn on the wireless
    and kill the connection. But the laptop was a wireless ME setup. One learns
    to not mess around with wireless too much with the possibility of being
    burnt and go wire and save the possible grief in this situation.

    However, you just could be lucky that day too. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 16, 2005
  15. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    <snip>

    > The last time I looked most desktops could accommodate more than 1 NIC

    wire
    > or wireless heck even my laptop has a wire and wireless connection. What
    > does a wire NIC cost, like $10 at most? ;-)

    <snip>

    I have a dual NIC in the ME box now. It's convenience, really. I rip movies
    on the XP box because it's so much faster. I burn them on the ME because
    that's where the burner is.

    I think NetMeeting used to be free, so that would make that FTP piece free
    as well?

    No bother, I should be doing a whole bunch of other things Vs. posting on
    UseNet.

    ng_reader, May 16, 2005
  16. "ng_reader" <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> The last time I looked most desktops could accommodate more than 1 NIC

    > wire
    >> or wireless heck even my laptop has a wire and wireless connection. What
    >> does a wire NIC cost, like $10 at most? ;-)
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    > I have a dual NIC in the ME box now. It's convenience, really. I rip
    > movies
    > on the XP box because it's so much faster. I burn them on the ME because
    > that's where the burner is.
    >
    > I think NetMeeting used to be free, so that would make that FTP piece free
    > as well?

    Netmeeting is free it comes with the NT based O/S and you can download it
    from the MS site for Win 9'x and ME O/S(s) if not already on ME.

    > No bother, I should be doing a whole bunch of other things Vs. posting on
    > UseNet.

    And such as life and sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't.
    :)

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC Duane ;-\), May 16, 2005
  17. ng_reader

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Unk" wrote in message news:

    > Click Start, "Log Off" whoever, and log back on as "administrator".
    > Shut down, reboot and you should have administrator rights on the
    > ME box when it restartes.

    As Windows ME doesn't use NTFS and doesn't have any concept of different
    user privilege levels any user that logs into a Windows ME machine gets full
    control of everything on it. So, would you like to explain why you're
    advising that logging in with a different named account will help?

    Dave Lear, May 17, 2005
  18. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    "Dave Lear" <> wrote in message
    > "Unk" wrote in message news:
    >
    > > Click Start, "Log Off" whoever, and log back on as "administrator".
    > > Shut down, reboot and you should have administrator rights on the
    > > ME box when it restartes.

    > As Windows ME doesn't use NTFS and doesn't have any concept of different
    > user privilege levels any user that logs into a Windows ME machine gets

    full
    > control of everything on it. So, would you like to explain why you're
    > advising that logging in with a different named account will help?

    It's been a while, but I think I have to agree with you, Dave. Judas Priest
    we have some wisenheimers here.

    ng_reader, May 17, 2005