    Or do I have to do a new, clean install with the OEM version that I have
    bought?

    Thanks in advance.

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFoZXNo?=, Aug 9, 2007

  2. See my blog posts on the issue. Basically, don't wait until it expires or
    your options are more limited and less satisfactory.

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2006/06/05/99480.aspx

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2006/05/29/97575.aspx

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 10, 2007

  3. It looks like whichever way you go, it will be "less than satisfactory".

    I D/L'd the evaluation version, burnt the image to a CD and ran the
    installation. Flawless. Speedy. Not a single error. Sees all of my 4 GB
    of RAM now. Went to Windows Update. D/L'd all the updates - IE7, the works.
    Flawlesser. Speedier. Yippee. Lovin' it. Wanted to keep it.

    I was so impressed that after a month I ordered an OEM licensed version from
    NewEgg. $140. Arrived in two days.

    Ran the installation from the CD before the 120-day witching hour. Chose
    "Upgrade" rather than "New Installation" from the set-up options.

    Kaboom!

    The licenced copy I bought and installed rolled back a bunch of stuff from
    the evaluation version into older versions - not the least of which was IE.
    It put it back to 6-point-something. I clicked on Windows Update from the
    Tools menu in IE (to upgrade back to IE7) and I get an error box saying "The
    requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context." Say
    what? Almost any link I clicked on, or URL I typed in, would get me that
    message. And, then the browser did nothing. I was now basically off the
    Internet with my licensed version of XP 64.

    I loaded FireFox from a set-up file I had on a USB thumb drive, and I was
    back on the Internet. I Googled that error phrase and also went to the
    Microsoft Knowledge base. The search results showed that exact error was
    being reported by tons of people since January, but no solutions were
    provided for the error in XP 64 - not even by Microsoft.

    So, using FireFox, I was able to download IE7 from Microsoft (after being
    prompted for a whole bunch more "Genuine Advantage" validation stuff - even
    though I activated my copy of Windows during the set-up process).

    After getting IE7 up and running, I was finally able to do a Windows Update
    without getting the bizarre "active activation context" error message. Only
    now there were 19 updates subsumed in a 101 MB download - in spite of having
    run Windows Update under the evaluation version and getting all the latest
    fixes and enhancements.

    Under the evaluation version, both of my USB printers worked with the
    included drivers with no grief. With the OEM licensed version, they still
    work with the included drivers. Only now every time I turn on the computer,
    I get the "new hardware found" wizard asking me to search for and install
    drivers for the printers. Since there are no 64-bit drivers for these older
    HP printers, I have no drivers to install and I get a message from Windows
    saying the driver isn't installed properly and my hardware may not work. The
    printers do work fine. But, I still get the prompt to install a driver
    followed by a "...hardware may not work properly..." nuissance message when I
    can't complete a driver installation.

    Lastly, pages are slow to load in IE7 now. In some cases, very slow. The
    status bar says "Waiting for <...url...>..." and it just hangs there for many
    seconds - five, six or more seconds - sometimes ten or more - before the
    pages download. But, when I use Firefox, the same URL's zoom right down and
    pop up almost instantly.

    Yes, something "snapped" when I went to the OEM, licensed version. I wish
    Microsoft would have let me send them a check directly and just keep the
    evaluation version.

    As John Travolta's character said in the Movie "Michael": "Nothing lasts!"

    =?Utf-8?B?Skd1bmRyZXk=?=, Aug 15, 2007
  4. Honestly, I don't know what happened. But what I'd do in your case is to do
    a Repair Install. Yes, it will knock you back to IE6 again. And you'll have
    to do all the updates. But I think you'll end up cleaner in the long run.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 15, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?bWFoZXNo?=

    thecreator Guest

    Hi Charlie Russel,

    Question: Does the OEM Version of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    fix the problem with downloading programs into the Briefcase without getting
    error message about "This Briefcase requires a newer version of the
    software" problem? The 64-bit version is faster than Windows XP Home
    Edition, and I prefer Outlook Express overtop of Windows Mail. That's why I
    elected not to jump to Vista.

    --
    thecreator

    thecreator, Aug 15, 2007
  6. No idea, not a feature I've ever had any use for. I use offline folders
    extensively, but not the briefcase.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 16, 2007
  7. How "firm" is that recommendation? I read your Repair Install instructions
    from your blog, and it seems very complex. I don't think I want all that
    pain again.

    The whole system runs pretty clean now, except for the IE7 performance and
    the "found new hardware" nuissance at every boot-up. The found-new-hardware
    problem is the most annoying. Both printers work fine with XP 64's basic
    drivers. Is there any way I can stop the new hardware sensing from happening
    every time I boot up?

    If I followed your Repair Install instructions, do you think the
    found-new-hardware thng will go away?

    =?Utf-8?B?Skd1bmRyZXk=?=, Aug 17, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?bWFoZXNo?=

    John Barnes Guest

    if you page thru the found new hardware process, on the last page is a
    checkbox for 'don't show again for this hardware' or something like that

    John Barnes, Aug 17, 2007
  9. You can make the found new hardware thing go away, as John points out.

    Do I think you should do a repair install? Well, if you're happy now, you
    don't need to. But I'd not be happy with what you're describing, and clearly
    something isn't right. So I'd do the install. But that's me - I'm fussy and
    if it isn't working right, I can't leave it alone. ;) YMMV, and your
    tolerance for annoyances may be different.

    There is not difference, other than licensing and the time bomb, between the
    eval version and the OEM licensed version. They are the SAME. So if it was
    good before, it should be good now.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 17, 2007
  10. Was the "eval" version, or "evil" version?

    Just kidding.

    I get no checkbox to "...don't show again for this hardware..." when going
    thru the driver install process. It looks like it finds files and installs
    them (I get a small box with a progress bar that moves from left to right and
    I see filenames whiz by like they're being copied). But then the last window
    says:

    "CANNOT INSTALL THIS HARDWARE. There was a problem installing this
    hardware: HP LaserJet 1200 Series PCL. An error occurred during the
    installation of this device. The printer driver is unknown. Cick Finish to
    close the wizard."

    There is a "Finish" button (no Swedish button - HA!) at the bottom of this
    box. But, nothing I can select to suppress the next hardware sensing.

    Any advice? Will the Repair Install fix this? Can I get Bill Gates out of
    retirement to field this one?

    =?Utf-8?B?Skd1bmRyZXk=?=, Aug 18, 2007
  11. will repair install fix it? I have no way of knowing - you shouldn't have it
    now, after a normal upgrade.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 18, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?bWFoZXNo?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you want to try, I would uninstall the device in device manager. Reboot,
    and when it shows that it needs drivers, don't let it look for drivers,
    always choose the other option. Point to a place that doesn't have the
    drivers for it. Fastest is a motherboard driver cd. This should get you to
    the last page where you can check not to show again.

    John Barnes, Aug 18, 2007
  13. Well - I performed the Repair Install per the instructions on your blog. No
    joy. I still get the error installing the printer driver for the HP 1200
    attached to the computer - even though the printer works, and even though I
    also have an HP 940c also attached to the same computer, and Windows does NOT
    try to install drivers for THAT one at each boot-up. (The 940c works
    correctly, also.)

    I also tried every possible permutation of options for the driver-install
    wizard that comes up every time. There is no window at any point in the
    process that contains a check box or option to NOT sense the printer in the
    future.

    Interestingly, some of the selections cause Windows to find and copy files
    as if a driver is being properly installed. It all looks successful and then
    I get the "Cannot install this hardware..." window at the end.

    It's hard to belive that I'm the only one in the world this is happening to.

    I'm open to other suggestions - even if they're just random mouse clicks.

    =?Utf-8?B?Skd1bmRyZXk=?=, Aug 30, 2007