    thing is losing it will be a pain in the butt having to update everyone.

    Any suggestions greatly recieved!

    WB

    WendyBurger, Jun 14, 2012

  2. WendyBurger

    BC Guest

    On 14/06/2012 18:20, WendyBurger wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm currently with Vonage on their basic plan which is £3.49 a month, I
    > don't get any minutes with this which is fine as I only use it for
    > incoming calls.
    >
    > Is there a free service I could move to and take my number with me? I
    > have a local number at the moment which was provided to my by Vonage,
    > thing is losing it will be a pain in the butt having to update everyone.
    >
    > Any suggestions greatly recieved!
    >
    > WB

    Sipgate is free if you just want incoming calls. Not sure if they can
    port from Vonage, but they will advise you.......

    https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.php?do=displayArticle&article=13&id=225&top=true

    BC, Jun 14, 2012

  3. WendyBurger

    WendyBurger Guest

    On 14/06/2012 19:39, BC wrote:
    > On 14/06/2012 18:20, WendyBurger wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm currently with Vonage on their basic plan which is £3.49 a month, I
    >> don't get any minutes with this which is fine as I only use it for
    >> incoming calls.
    >>
    >> Is there a free service I could move to and take my number with me? I
    >> have a local number at the moment which was provided to my by Vonage,
    >> thing is losing it will be a pain in the butt having to update everyone.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions greatly recieved!
    >>
    >> WB

    > Sipgate is free if you just want incoming calls. Not sure if they can
    > port from Vonage, but they will advise you.......
    >
    > https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.php?do=displayArticle&article=13&id=225&top=true

    Thank you, my next question is for adapters, currently I have a black
    box that plugs into the router which I plug in a cordless panasonic phone.

    I've had a look on the sipgate site but they seem to be routers, can
    anyone suggest an adapter or something similar to the thing that Vonage
    supply?

    thanks in advance!

    WendyBurger, Jun 15, 2012
  4. WendyBurger

    cybuerke Guest

    WendyBurger wrote:

    > Thank you, my next question is for adapters, currently I have a black
    > box that plugs into the router which I plug in a cordless panasonic phone.
    >
    > I've had a look on the sipgate site but they seem to be routers, can
    > anyone suggest an adapter or something similar to the thing that Vonage
    > supply?
    >
    > thanks in advance!

    Obi110 or Obi100 - You'd have to set up your own Sipgate (or whoever you
    decide to sign up with) login details, but that's not too difficult.

    <http://www.amazon.co.uk/OBi110-UK-Service-Bridge-Telephone-Adaptor/dp/B004XJCBGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339744736&sr=8-1>

    cybuerke, Jun 15, 2012
  5. WendyBurger

    BC Guest

    > Thank you, my next question is for adapters, currently I have a black
    > box that plugs into the router which I plug in a cordless panasonic phone.
    >
    > I've had a look on the sipgate site but they seem to be routers, can
    > anyone suggest an adapter or something similar to the thing that Vonage
    > supply?
    >
    > thanks in advance!

    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=13464

    Should be back in stock soon

    BC, Jun 15, 2012
  6. WendyBurger

    BC Guest

    > Thank you, my next question is for adapters, currently I have a black
    > box that plugs into the router which I plug in a cordless panasonic phone.
    >
    > I've had a look on the sipgate site but they seem to be routers, can
    > anyone suggest an adapter or something similar to the thing that Vonage
    > supply?
    >
    > thanks in advance!

    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=13464

    Should be back in stock soon.

    The SPA112 is an updated Linksys PAP2T (shown on the Sipgate site).
    Don't go for the Linksys; it has been discontinued and Cisco are
    releasing no further firmware updates for it. The SPA112 is a new model
    and should be a sound piece of kit.

    If you need help configuring Sipgate settings let me know.

    BC, Jun 15, 2012
  7. WendyBurger

    Graham. Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:25:19 +0100, cybuerke <>
    wrote:

    >WendyBurger wrote:
    >

    >> Thank you, my next question is for adapters, currently I have a black
    >> box that plugs into the router which I plug in a cordless panasonic phone.
    >>
    >> I've had a look on the sipgate site but they seem to be routers, can
    >> anyone suggest an adapter or something similar to the thing that Vonage
    >> supply?
    >>
    >> thanks in advance!

    >Obi110 or Obi100 - You'd have to set up your own Sipgate (or whoever you
    >decide to sign up with) login details, but that's not too difficult.
    >
    ><http://www.amazon.co.uk/OBi110-UK-Service-Bridge-Telephone-Adaptor/dp/B004XJCBGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339744736&sr=8-1>

    Probebly the cheapest option wold be a Linksys PAP-2, you can get them
    via ebay for less than £20 delivered. The PAP-2 is effectivly two
    adapters in one box so you can have a 2nd line.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jun 15, 2012
  8. WendyBurger

    Graham. Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 09:02:27 +0100, BC
    <> wrote:

    >> Thank you, my next question is for adapters, currently I have a black
    >> box that plugs into the router which I plug in a cordless panasonic phone.
    >>
    >> I've had a look on the sipgate site but they seem to be routers, can
    >> anyone suggest an adapter or something similar to the thing that Vonage
    >> supply?
    >>
    >> thanks in advance!

    >http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=13464
    >
    >Should be back in stock soon.
    >
    >The SPA112 is an updated Linksys PAP2T (shown on the Sipgate site).
    >Don't go for the Linksys; it has been discontinued and Cisco are
    >releasing no further firmware updates for it.

    To my mind that's a good reason *to* buy one, because they are likley
    to be sold off cheap.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jun 15, 2012
  9. WendyBurger

    bob garbutt Guest

    Yes take a look at sipgate.co.uk

    bob garbutt, Jun 16, 2012
  10. WendyBurger

    WendyBurger Guest

    On 15/06/2012 08:25, cybuerke wrote:
    > WendyBurger wrote:
    >

    >> Thank you, my next question is for adapters, currently I have a black
    >> box that plugs into the router which I plug in a cordless panasonic
    >> phone.
    >>
    >> I've had a look on the sipgate site but they seem to be routers, can
    >> anyone suggest an adapter or something similar to the thing that Vonage
    >> supply?
    >>
    >> thanks in advance!

    > Obi110 or Obi100 - You'd have to set up your own Sipgate (or whoever you
    > decide to sign up with) login details, but that's not too difficult.
    >
    > <http://www.amazon.co.uk/OBi110-UK-Service-Bridge-Telephone-Adaptor/dp/B004XJCBGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339744736&sr=8-1>

    Would this be OK?

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNLOCKED-...esPhones_RL&hash=item2c60b0e926#ht_5448wt_902

    WendyBurger, Jun 17, 2012
  11. WendyBurger

    BC Guest

    BC, Jun 17, 2012
  12. WendyBurger

    Graham. Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:59:16 +0100, WendyBurger <>
    wrote:

    >On 15/06/2012 08:25, cybuerke wrote:
    >> WendyBurger wrote:
    >>

    >>> Thank you, my next question is for adapters, currently I have a black
    >>> box that plugs into the router which I plug in a cordless panasonic
    >>> phone.
    >>>
    >>> I've had a look on the sipgate site but they seem to be routers, can
    >>> anyone suggest an adapter or something similar to the thing that Vonage
    >>> supply?
    >>>
    >>> thanks in advance!

    >> Obi110 or Obi100 - You'd have to set up your own Sipgate (or whoever you
    >> decide to sign up with) login details, but that's not too difficult.
    >>
    >> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/OBi110-UK-Service-Bridge-Telephone-Adaptor/dp/B004XJCBGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339744736&sr=8-1>
    >>

    >Would this be OK?
    >
    >http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNLOCKED-...esPhones_RL&hash=item2c60b0e926#ht_5448wt_902

    Yes that's fine, I have two of those.
    You might find that it doesn't come with a RJ11 to British phone plug
    adapter, so you might need to buy one.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jun 17, 2012
  13. On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:48:02 +0100, Graham. tubthumped in morse code:

    > On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:59:16 +0100, WendyBurger <>
    > wrote:

    >>> Obi110 or Obi100 - You'd have to set up your own Sipgate (or whoever
    >>> you decide to sign up with) login details, but that's not too
    >>> difficult.
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/OBi110-UK-Service-Bridge-Telephone-Adaptor/

    dp/B004XJCBGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339744736&sr=8-1>

    >>Would this be OK?
    >>
    >>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNLOCKED-SIP-VOIP-Phone-Adapter-PAP2T-NA-2-

    Port-FXS-Router-Internet-fast-HOT-/190600767782?
    pt=UK_Computing_MicrophonesPhones_RL&hash=item2c60b0e926#ht_5448wt_902

    > Yes that's fine, I have two of those. You might find that it doesn't
    > come with a RJ11 to British phone plug adapter, so you might need to buy
    > one.

    But those things have a serious overheating issue.

    Adnokes_NOSCAN, Jun 18, 2012
  14. Adnokes_NOSCAN wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:48:02 +0100, Graham. tubthumped in morse code:
    >
    >>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNLOCKED-SIP-VOIP-Phone-Adapter-PAP2T-NA-2-

    > Port-FXS-Router-Internet-fast-HOT-/190600767782?
    > pt=UK_Computing_MicrophonesPhones_RL&hash=item2c60b0e926#ht_5448wt_902
    >> Yes that's fine, I have two of those. You might find that it doesn't
    >> come with a RJ11 to British phone plug adapter, so you might need to buy
    >> one.

    > But those things have a serious overheating issue.

    I know this sounds a bit troll-like, but so does everything make by Linksys.

    Oddly the PAP2 is about the most reliable bit of Linksys kit I've had in
    a long time. (ie. didn't commit suicide once within it's useful lifespan).

    Thomas Kenyon, Jun 18, 2012
  15. alexd wrote:
    > BC (for it is he) wrote:
    >
    >> The SPA112 is an updated Linksys PAP2T (shown on the Sipgate site).
    >> Don't go for the Linksys; it has been discontinued and Cisco are
    >> releasing no further firmware updates for it.

    > On the other hand...it's been on the market so long, surely the major bugs
    > have been found and fixed by now? Security fixes might be a concern but
    > you're not going to be putting it on the internet now, are you?

    Especially when you consider that it's a cost reduction model of an
    SPA-2000, so the firmware has been around for a very very long time.

    Thomas Kenyon, Jun 18, 2012
  16. "Adnokes_NOSCAN" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:48:02 +0100, Graham. tubthumped in morse code:
    >
    >> On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:59:16 +0100, WendyBurger <>
    >> wrote:

    > dp/B004XJCBGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339744736&sr=8-1>
    >>>>

    >>>Would this be OK?
    >>>
    >>>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNLOCKED-SIP-VOIP-Phone-Adapter-PAP2T-NA-2-

    > Port-FXS-Router-Internet-fast-HOT-/190600767782?
    > pt=UK_Computing_MicrophonesPhones_RL&hash=item2c60b0e926#ht_5448wt_902
    >>
    >> Yes that's fine, I have two of those. You might find that it doesn't
    >> come with a RJ11 to British phone plug adapter, so you might need to buy
    >> one.

    > But those things have a serious overheating issue.

    And overheating usually means wasted power, which for something that is
    switched on 24 hours a day can soon mount up.

    Harry Stottle, Jun 18, 2012
  17. WendyBurger

    Graham. Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 06:02:03 +0000 (UTC), Adnokes_NOSCAN
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:48:02 +0100, Graham. tubthumped in morse code:
    >
    >> On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:59:16 +0100, WendyBurger <>
    >> wrote:

    >dp/B004XJCBGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339744736&sr=8-1>
    >>>>

    >>>Would this be OK?
    >>>
    >>>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNLOCKED-SIP-VOIP-Phone-Adapter-PAP2T-NA-2-

    >Port-FXS-Router-Internet-fast-HOT-/190600767782?
    >pt=UK_Computing_MicrophonesPhones_RL&hash=item2c60b0e926#ht_5448wt_902
    >>
    >> Yes that's fine, I have two of those. You might find that it doesn't
    >> come with a RJ11 to British phone plug adapter, so you might need to buy
    >> one.

    >But those things have a serious overheating issue.

    Not in my experience.
    I have two here running 24/7, neither of them ever gets beyond "barely
    warm to the touch", and that includes the wall-warts. They don't crash
    and need resetting either.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jun 18, 2012
  18. On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:44:52 +0100, Graham. tubthumped in morse code:

    >>But those things have a serious overheating issue.

    > Not in my experience.
    > I have two here running 24/7, neither of them ever gets beyond "barely
    > warm to the touch", and that includes the wall-warts. They don't crash
    > and need resetting either.

    Bullshit. For one thing they have a high current PSU, and with high
    current comes heat. You're talking out of your arse!

    Just Google "pap2 overheating". Dear oh dear.

    Adnokes_NOSCAN, Jun 18, 2012
  19. WendyBurger

    Woody Guest

    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:44:52 +0100, Graham. tubthumped in morse
    > code:
    >
    >>>But those things have a serious overheating issue.

    >> Not in my experience.
    >> I have two here running 24/7, neither of them ever gets beyond
    >> "barely
    >> warm to the touch", and that includes the wall-warts. They
    >> don't crash
    >> and need resetting either.

    > Bullshit. For one thing they have a high current PSU, and with
    > high
    > current comes heat. You're talking out of your arse!
    >
    > Just Google "pap2 overheating". Dear oh dear.

    Why is it necessary to abuse someone for stating a fact as they
    find it?

    For the record I also have a PAP2 and it doesn't run above barely
    warm either so would you like to explain that one - preferably
    politely?

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

    Woody, Jun 18, 2012
  20. "Adnokes_NOSCAN" <> wrote in message

    > Bullshit. For one thing they have a high current PSU, and with high
    > current comes heat. You're talking out of your arse!
    >
    > Just Google "pap2 overheating". Dear oh dear.

    I just did that and there are reports of some fake Chinese pap2 units being
    sold on eBay that overheat, genuine ones seem fine.

    Harry Stottle, Jun 19, 2012