Moving from Cold Fusion Development

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by JW, Jun 11, 2004.

  1. JW

    JW Guest

    I am at a bit of a cross roads right now. I have been
    involved in Cold Fusion development for almost five years,
    but I want to gain some expertise in something else. I am
    considering whether I should follow the .NET or J2EE
    paths. I have some experience (primarily in an academic
    setting) with Java programming, and a little bit of JSP
    and Servlet experience. I just recently took a class in
    C# and really enjoyed it, and I have a 1-2 years of
    professional ASP 2.0 experience. It seems that there are
    more jobs out there for Java developers, but the
    requirements are a lot more difficult (e.g. you need to
    know very specific server platforms, and maybe a software
    package or two to qualify for jobs). It seems that C#
    and .NET is growing, but my concern is if Longhorn doesn't
    take off as expected will I have spent time energy, and
    money learning something that may not be around a couple
    of years from now. On the other hand, the skill set
    needed for Java would take so long to get, I'm not sure if
    it would be relevent by the time I got a few of the skills
    a lot Java jobs require. Any ideas anyone?

    Thanks,

    JW

    JW, Jun 11, 2004

  2. I would think liverage on u r Java
    it is gonna be around for some more time (again I think, because of the
    installed base at least)
    </invisible posting to Kline Sphere/Ralph Page>
    </end Invisible Posting>

    Disillusioned_01, Jun 12, 2004

  3. JW

    phatrice Guest

    I was once at a crossroad between .NET and J2EE as well
    but I decided to do .NET because
    1. The Java world is heavily fragmented with different
    corporations having their own implementation(Sun, BEA,
    IBM and so on).

    2. I have been paying a lot of attention to the LongHorn
    development and it doesn't seem like something that
    will/can fail.

    3. .NET technology is here to stay for quite a long time
    at least for the lifetime of Longhorn.

    phatrice, Jun 12, 2004