Moving from 35mm film to digital for Black and White

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Keith Cooper, Apr 11, 2004.

  1. Keith Cooper

    Keith Cooper Guest

    Hi

    Although I've used digital for most commercial (event/PR) work for some
    time, I'd stuck with 35mm film for my black and white landscape prints.
    A whole host of reasons, but cost/quality figured in it to a great
    extent.

    Well good fortune finally allowed me to move fully digital. Several
    people I know asked me how the move 'felt'.... I've finally got round to
    writing up some of my first impressions, along with some sample images
    comparing my old film based approach with digital. It includes stuff on
    color to black and white conversion methods. It's not a detailed
    scientific study, but I hope is of general interest to people.

    If anyone wants any more info, please feel free to contact me direct.

    <http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/digital-black-white.html>

    Bye for now
    Keith Cooper

    PS email addr is a dud - real one on page
    Keith Cooper, Apr 11, 2004

  2. Keith Cooper

    Skip M Guest

    Thanks for the information, and the trouble it took to put it up! B&W is
    something I've been struggling with, digitally, since 85% of my out put is
    B&W, at least film wise...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Apr 11, 2004

  3. Keith Cooper

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Keith Cooper

    >Well good fortune finally allowed me to move fully digital. Several
    >people I know asked me how the move 'felt'.... I've finally got round to
    >writing up some of my first impressions, along with some sample images
    >comparing my old film based approach with digital.

    Keith, thanks for the site. I just got the Canon 1Ds myself, intending to
    replace 35 mm film for wildlife but keep 6x7 cm and 6x4.5 cm for landscapes and
    enjoyed reading your impressions.

    I noticed you use Photoshop CS for the RAW conversions ... I've been comparing
    tiffs converted with CSRAW vs files converted from Phase One's Capture One Pro
    and think the Capture One images are definitely converted better. You can
    download a free 30 day version of this software for evaluation, but it's
    expensive for the 1Ds, around $500 US.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Apr 12, 2004
  4. Keith Cooper

    PhotoMan Guest

    Keith Cooper wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Although I've used digital for most commercial (event/PR) work for
    > some time, I'd stuck with 35mm film for my black and white landscape
    > prints. A whole host of reasons, but cost/quality figured in it to a
    > great extent.
    >
    > Well good fortune finally allowed me to move fully digital. Several
    > people I know asked me how the move 'felt'.... I've finally got round
    > to writing up some of my first impressions, along with some sample
    > images comparing my old film based approach with digital. It includes
    > stuff on color to black and white conversion methods. It's not a
    > detailed scientific study, but I hope is of general interest to
    > people.
    >
    > If anyone wants any more info, please feel free to contact me direct.
    >
    > <http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/digital-black-white.html>

    Very impressive Keith! I've bookmarked the site and will refer to it often.
    Joe Arnold
    PhotoMan, Apr 12, 2004