Moving Firefox profile location doesn't work for me

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Jim, Mar 27, 2005.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    The "move an existing profile" instructions on the Mozilla website:

    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

    don't work for me.

    The instructions include

    ---begin quote---
    1. Shut down Firefox completely (File > Exit).
    2. Move the profile folder to the desired location. For example, on
    Windows, move the profile from C:\Documents and Settings\[username]
    \Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default to D:
    \Stuff\MyProfile ...
    3. Open up profiles.ini in a text editor. The file is located in the
    application data folder for Firefox:
    * On Windows XP/2000, the path is %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\
    4. In profiles.ini, locate the entry for the profile you've just
    moved. Change the Path= line to the new location.
    5. Change IsRelative=1 to IsRelative=0.
    6. Save profiles.ini and restart Firefox.
    ---end quote---

    When I do this and restart Firefox, it simply creates a new profile,
    changes the "Path=" entry in profiles.ini to the new profile location
    (e.g., Path=Profiles/sbi1of17.default) and also changes the
    IsRelative value back to 1.

    I'm sure it's the right profile location and right profiles.ini file
    (e.g., there's only one of each on the system).

    Has anyone else gotten the above instructions to work?

    I'm running Windows XP Pro, running as the single, administrator,
    user; Firefox 1.02 (but it didn't work on 1.01 either).

    Thanks,
    Jim
    Jim, Mar 27, 2005

  2. Jim

    ..brian.. Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > The "move an existing profile" instructions on the Mozilla website:
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile
    >
    > don't work for me.
    >
    > The instructions include

    [snip]

    > When I do this and restart Firefox, it simply creates a new profile,
    > changes the "Path=" entry in profiles.ini to the new profile location

    > (e.g., Path=Profiles/sbi1of17.default) and also changes the
    > IsRelative value back to 1.
    >
    > I'm sure it's the right profile location and right profiles.ini file
    > (e.g., there's only one of each on the system).
    >
    > Has anyone else gotten the above instructions to work?
    >
    > I'm running Windows XP Pro, running as the single, administrator,
    > user; Firefox 1.02 (but it didn't work on 1.01 either).

    Does the profile show up in the profile manager?

    Start >> Run >> firefox -p
    ..brian.., Mar 27, 2005

  3. Jim

    Doug G Guest

    Jim wrote:

    > The "move an existing profile" instructions on the Mozilla website:
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile
    >
    > don't work for me.
    >
    > The instructions include
    >
    > ---begin quote---
    > 1. Shut down Firefox completely (File > Exit).
    > 2. Move the profile folder to the desired location. For example, on
    > Windows, move the profile from C:\Documents and Settings\[username]
    > \Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default to D:
    > \Stuff\MyProfile ...
    > 3. Open up profiles.ini in a text editor. The file is located in the
    > application data folder for Firefox:
    > * On Windows XP/2000, the path is %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\
    > 4. In profiles.ini, locate the entry for the profile you've just
    > moved. Change the Path= line to the new location.
    > 5. Change IsRelative=1 to IsRelative=0.
    > 6. Save profiles.ini and restart Firefox.
    > ---end quote---
    >
    > When I do this and restart Firefox, it simply creates a new profile,
    > changes the "Path=" entry in profiles.ini to the new profile location
    > (e.g., Path=Profiles/sbi1of17.default) and also changes the
    > IsRelative value back to 1.
    >
    > I'm sure it's the right profile location and right profiles.ini file
    > (e.g., there's only one of each on the system).
    >
    > Has anyone else gotten the above instructions to work?
    >
    > I'm running Windows XP Pro, running as the single, administrator,
    > user; Firefox 1.02 (but it didn't work on 1.01 either).
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    After moving my FF profile to my E drive, I edited the profiles.ini file
    to look like this:

    [General]
    StartWithLastProfile=1

    [Profile0]
    Name=fire1
    IsRelative=0
    Path=E:\Mozilla\Users\fire1\j5xk168w.default
    Default=1

    I did nearly the same thing with my Thunderbird profile.
    Doug G, Mar 27, 2005
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "..brian.." <> wrote in

    > Does the profile show up in the profile manager?
    >
    > Start >> Run >> firefox -p

    Doug G <> wrote in

    > After moving my FF profile to my E drive, I edited the
    > profiles.ini file to look like this:

    Thank you, both.

    I did some more experimenting with this and discovered that I could
    get it to work IF I removed the "LittleFox" theme first. I don't
    know if it's a problem with that particular theme, as I haven't
    looked at anything else (other than the default).

    After moving the profile files to another disk/directory, I re-
    installed LittleFox and Firefox is working fine again.

    Thanks again,
    Jim
    Jim, Apr 1, 2005