    system. In words of one sylable please as I am a bear of little brain

    Old system:- ME, no burner, does have a NIC
    New system:- Vista, DVD reader, Onboard LAN

    Ken Lee, Dec 29, 2008

  2. Ken Lee wrote:

    > .. how would I go about getting these files (a few JPGs and some
    > E-mails) onto her "new" system.

    Are you understating, or is that true? If it is just "a few..", why not
    just email them to your/herself? Export the email to a file and do the
    same.

    Try a Linux LiveCD ... she may like it.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 29, 2008

  3. Ken Lee

    olfart Guest

    > Ken Lee wrote:
    >
    >> .. how would I go about getting these files (a few JPGs and some
    >> E-mails) onto her "new" system.

    > Are you understating, or is that true? If it is just "a few..", why not
    > just email them to your/herself? Export the email to a file and do the
    > same.
    >
    > Try a Linux LiveCD ... she may like it.
    >
    > --

    BARF

    Linux Sux

    olfart, Dec 29, 2008
  4. olfart wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Ken Lee wrote:
    >>> (doubt she would cope with any flavour of Linux).
    >>>
    >>> .. how would I go about getting these files (a few JPGs and some
    >>> E-mails) onto her "new" system.

    >> Are you understating, or is that true? If it is just "a few..", why
    >> not just email them to your/herself? Export the email to a file and
    >> do the same.
    >>
    >> Try a Linux LiveCD ... she may like it.

    > BARF
    >
    > Linux Sux

    olfart, yer startin' sumpin' here... Ken Lee mentioned Linux, so a
    comment about trying a LiveCD was an appropriate response.

    Ok...

    Outhouse Distress Sux

    Why are you having your necessary, required-or-else-I'm-in-trouble
    anti-virus program scan your outbound Usenet posts? Now, that is silly!
    You don't trust your own application and operating system, I guess...

    <lol!>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 29, 2008
  5. Ken Lee

    PeeCee Guest

    "Ken Lee" <> wrote in message
    > Mum is thinking of getting a new computer which will have Vista as an OS
    > (doubt she would cope with any flavour of Linux).
    > She doesn't want to lose any data from her "old" computer . Now I seem to
    > remember that XP would move files effortlessly from an older system but I
    > have no idea if Vista would do this .
    > She has ME on her present system but doesn't have a CD burner so how would
    > I go about getting these files (a few JPGs and some E-mails) onto her
    > "new" system. In words of one sylable please as I am a bear of little
    > brain
    >
    > Old system:- ME, no burner, does have a NIC
    > New system:- Vista, DVD reader, Onboard LAN

    Ken

    The simplest solution is probably to buy a USB memory stick and simply drag
    & drop from the old PC to the USB, then from USB to the new PC.
    ME will be able to see the USB Memory Stick without drivers so should be
    plug and play.
    If you get a decent sized USB Stick it can also be her backup afterwards.
    (They are quite cheap)

    There is a 'Files and Settings Transfer' Wizard in Vista but unfortunately
    it only works with Windows 2000 and above not ME.

    Assuming you will be using a USB stick you will need to copy the following
    files/folders if it is the usual configuration.
    My Documents - Note when pasting into Vista, Vista will automatically move
    her My Pictures to 'Pictures' and My Videos to 'Video's
    Desktop - A lot of people forget this one.
    Favourites - Use IE export wizard.
    Address book - Search for .wab files or use the .csv Export Wizard in OE
    Email messages - Look for the folder containing .dbx files if she uses OE
    Outlook - If she uses Outlook for emailing look for .pst files, these
    contain both emails and contacts.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Dec 29, 2008
  6. olfart wrote:

    >> Try a Linux LiveCD ... she may like it.

    > Linux Sux

    Are you really in danger fumblefingering a binary virus code together like,
    as an example,
    X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
    while poasting intoxicated? ;-)

    P.S.: look at my headers ...

    wisdomkiller & pain, Dec 29, 2008
  7. Ken Lee wrote:

    > Mum is thinking of getting a new computer which will have Vista as an OS
    > (doubt she would cope with any flavour of Linux).
    > She doesn't want to lose any data from her "old" computer . Now I seem to
    > remember that XP would move files effortlessly from an older system but I
    > have no idea if Vista would do this .
    > She has ME on her present system but doesn't have a CD burner so how would
    > I go about getting these files (a few JPGs and some E-mails) onto her
    > "new"
    > system. In words of one sylable please as I am a bear of little brain
    >
    > Old system:- ME, no burner, does have a NIC
    > New system:- Vista, DVD reader, Onboard LAN

    Not certain if the "documents and settings"-transfer wizardry of Vista knows
    anything about ME.
    ME already had USB support, so try a usb stick - or, yes, a network cable
    (guess the new onboard nic doesn't even need crossover anymore) in between
    or to a cheap switch or (even better) a router with dhcp server capability.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Dec 29, 2008