    running windows me to a new pc running xp

    is there a better way than copying and pasting them?

    thanks in advance
    SEYMOUR, Mar 16, 2006

  2. SEYMOUR

    Guest

    SEYMOUR wrote:
    > is it possible to move email messages en bloc from outlook or outlook
    > express to a folder on the desktop or in my documents?
    >
    > ive tried to find where the contents of the inbox are stored within windows
    > explorer but have failed miserably.
    >
    > my task is to save over 1500 emails that currently reside on an old laptop
    > running windows me to a new pc running xp
    >
    > is there a better way than copying and pasting them?
    >
    > thanks in advance

    Click "File" Click "Import/Export"
    , Mar 16, 2006

  3. SEYMOUR

    dadiOH Guest

    SEYMOUR wrote:
    > is it possible to move email messages en bloc from outlook or outlook
    > express to a folder on the desktop or in my documents?
    >
    > ive tried to find where the contents of the inbox are stored within
    > windows explorer but have failed miserably.
    >
    > my task is to save over 1500 emails that currently reside on an old
    > laptop running windows me to a new pc running xp
    >
    > is there a better way than copying and pasting them?
    >
    > thanks in advance

    The inbox/outbox/etc (and their contents) in OE are on your computer in
    the form of *.dbx files. You can find where they are stored by right
    clicking the Inbox (or other "folder") and selecting "Properties". Just
    copy the folder in which they reside and stick it into the proper place
    on the new computer.

    You could also just select the lot (messages themselves) in OE, drag to
    a folder, copy folder to new computer and reverse the drag.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Mar 16, 2006
  4. SEYMOUR

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:BBlSf.14714$o41.1383@trnddc06,
    dadiOH spewed forth:
    > SEYMOUR wrote:
    >> is it possible to move email messages en bloc from outlook or outlook
    >> express to a folder on the desktop or in my documents?
    >>
    >> ive tried to find where the contents of the inbox are stored within
    >> windows explorer but have failed miserably.
    >>
    >> my task is to save over 1500 emails that currently reside on an old
    >> laptop running windows me to a new pc running xp
    >>
    >> is there a better way than copying and pasting them?
    >>
    >> thanks in advance

    > The inbox/outbox/etc (and their contents) in OE are on your computer
    > in the form of *.dbx files. You can find where they are stored by
    > right clicking the Inbox (or other "folder") and selecting
    > "Properties". Just copy the folder in which they reside and stick it
    > into the proper place on the new computer.
    >
    > You could also just select the lot (messages themselves) in OE, drag
    > to a folder, copy folder to new computer and reverse the drag.

    Yeah - and how many times this week has the same type of question been
    asked? It seems to be *the* question lately <g>

    Toolman Tim, Mar 17, 2006
  5. SEYMOUR

    Carol2 Guest

    "SEYMOUR" <> wrote in message
    > is it possible to move email messages en bloc from outlook or outlook
    > express to a folder on the desktop or in my documents?
    >
    > ive tried to find where the contents of the inbox are stored within
    > windows explorer but have failed miserably.
    >
    > my task is to save over 1500 emails that currently reside on an old
    > laptop running windows me to a new pc running xp
    >
    > is there a better way than copying and pasting them?
    >
    > thanks in advance

    I've run across this with quite a few family/friends, especially our
    daughter. She thinks she has to save the e-mails in order to keep the
    pic.s, etc that are attached. I've instructed her to save the pic.s to
    a new folder in her My Documents/Pic.s folder & to copy paste any text
    she needs to save into a word processor document & save That to a proper
    folder, so she can find it in the future.....& to burn periodic backups
    of said folder/s to alternate media.

    I've heard from countless people, especially those running Outlook
    Express, that their Inbox becomes corrupt & unusable......usually
    attributed to having too much stored in there, &/or it's sub-folders.
    Personally, I use OutLook, which seems much more stable, but......I
    Still don't leave anything in there that is vitally important to me,
    without having it backed up. Other posters have told you how to do that
    with both OL & OE.

    Carol2
    Carol2, Mar 17, 2006
  6. SEYMOUR

    dadiOH Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Yeah - and how many times this week has the same type of question been
    > asked? It seems to be *the* question lately <g>

    Must be lots of people buying new computers. Just think of the flood of
    questions, "How do I do <enter whatever> with XP?" :)

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Mar 17, 2006
  7. SEYMOUR

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:kVxSf.46438$CI6.22603@trnddc07,
    dadiOH spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah - and how many times this week has the same type of question
    >> been asked? It seems to be *the* question lately <g>

    > Must be lots of people buying new computers. Just think of the flood
    > of questions, "How do I do <enter whatever> with XP?" :)

    Yeah - exactly.

    I had a guy do about the same thing. He bought a new computer to replace his
    10 year old Dell (honest! 10 years - Windows 95, 486 CPU- yuck!) The local
    shop he bought it from told him there was no way to get the information
    (email, addresses, data) from the old PC into the new one. I got
    everything - even the programs (except 1) copied over and running in an
    hour. The local shop is full of maroons...

    Toolman Tim, Mar 17, 2006
  8. SEYMOUR

    SEYMOUR Guest

    thanks for the advice
    problem now solved

    SEYMOUR, Mar 19, 2006
  9. I can't pull up incoming mail lists or sent mail lists. Just one message at
    a time shows on my sscreen.
    What do I do to return to the original format?

    Virginia Ping, Mar 20, 2006
  10. SEYMOUR

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Virginia Ping spewed forth:
    > I can't pull up incoming mail lists or sent mail lists. Just one
    > message at a time shows on my sscreen.
    > What do I do to return to the original format?

    Is the list of Folders showing on the left side? How about the Contacts
    list? If not, turn them on first - View, Layout, mark them and click okay.
    Now, if you click on the Inbox, you should see a list of your email on the
    right.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 20, 2006