Moving document to "favourites"

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, May 21, 2008.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I have a document in My Documents (from the Start Menu) It's a Word
    document.

    I'm trying to get it into Favourites. (Google)

    So far I have managed to email it to myself, and also get it on to the
    desktop. I've also saved it in my Inbox.

    I can't work out how to get it on to Google or Favourites. I've tried Ctrl+C
    and Ctrl+V etc, also Cut Copy Paste, from Word but it didn't work.

    Outlook Express, Windows XP

    I'll send this and see if it turns up in Google Groups. It should. Perhaps I
    can do something from there. (This is Motzarella)

    Any ideas? It's probably quite simple but it's got me baffled.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, May 21, 2008

  2. Geopelia

    Cima Guest

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 16:12:31 +1200, "Geopelia" <> wrote:

    >I have a document in My Documents (from the Start Menu) It's a Word
    >document.
    >
    >I'm trying to get it into Favourites. (Google)
    >
    >So far I have managed to email it to myself, and also get it on to the
    >desktop. I've also saved it in my Inbox.
    >
    >I can't work out how to get it on to Google or Favourites. I've tried Ctrl+C
    >and Ctrl+V etc, also Cut Copy Paste, from Word but it didn't work.
    >
    >Outlook Express, Windows XP
    >
    >I'll send this and see if it turns up in Google Groups. It should. Perhaps I
    >can do something from there. (This is Motzarella)
    >
    >Any ideas? It's probably quite simple but it's got me baffled.
    >
    >Thank you
    >Geopelia

    See if this works:

    Click Favourites -> Organise Favourites

    dialog box. It should drop it in there.

    Cima, May 21, 2008

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Cima" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 May 2008 16:12:31 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have a document in My Documents (from the Start Menu) It's a Word
    >>document.
    >>
    >>I'm trying to get it into Favourites. (Google)
    >>
    >>So far I have managed to email it to myself, and also get it on to the
    >>desktop. I've also saved it in my Inbox.
    >>
    >>I can't work out how to get it on to Google or Favourites. I've tried
    >>Ctrl+C
    >>and Ctrl+V etc, also Cut Copy Paste, from Word but it didn't work.
    >>
    >>Outlook Express, Windows XP
    >>
    >>I'll send this and see if it turns up in Google Groups. It should. Perhaps
    >>can do something from there. (This is Motzarella)
    >>
    >>Any ideas? It's probably quite simple but it's got me baffled.
    >>
    >>Thank you
    >>Geopelia
    >>

    > See if this works:
    >

    > Click Favourites -> Organise Favourites

    > Favourites
    > dialog box. It should drop it in there.

    Thank you.

    I can get organise favourites, with the new folder I made for the document
    showing.
    But when I get the documents folder on the screen, it covers the organise
    favourites folder and I can't see it.

    So I made the Google screen much smaller and got Organise Favourites. Then I
    got the desktop icon of the document and dragged it across.

    There it was, or so I thought, in its new folder in favourites. Ha!

    But when I clicked on it, I got the message "This address is not valid".

    Curses!!

    Any ideas please? Perhaps I need to stick http://www. in front of the email?
    But how?
    Computers are complicated things.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, May 21, 2008
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Cima" <> wrote in message

    >>> See if this works:
    >>>

    >>> Click Favourites -> Organise Favourites

    >>> Favourites
    >>> dialog box. It should drop it in there.
    >>>

    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> I can get organise favourites, with the new folder I made for the
    >> document
    >> showing.
    >> But when I get the documents folder on the screen, it covers the organise
    >> favourites folder and I can't see it.
    >>
    >> So I made the Google screen much smaller and got Organise Favourites.
    >> Then I
    >> got the desktop icon of the document and dragged it across.
    >>
    >> There it was, or so I thought, in its new folder in favourites. Ha!
    >>
    >> But when I clicked on it, I got the message "This address is not valid".
    >>
    >> Curses!!
    >>
    >> Any ideas please? Perhaps I need to stick http://www. in front of the
    >> email?
    >> But how?
    >> Computers are complicated things.

    > Try putting file:// in the browser address line ... then you'll need to
    > browse
    > the filesystem to find the file.
    >
    > When you've found it you can add the address to your favourites, though
    > why
    > you'd want when it's on the desktop I dunno.
    >
    > Sorry I can't tell you the exact path to the file, I don't have an XP
    > system here.

    Thank you, I'll try that.

    I like to have anything important in several places, and I print out a copy
    to make doubly sure.

    Geopelia, May 21, 2008
  5. Geopelia

    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message

    >>> Try putting file:// in the browser address line ... then you'll need to
    >>> browse
    >>> the filesystem to find the file.
    >>>
    >>> When you've found it you can add the address to your favourites, though
    >>> why
    >>> you'd want when it's on the desktop I dunno.
    >>>
    >>> Sorry I can't tell you the exact path to the file, I don't have an XP
    >>> system here.

    >> Thank you, I'll try that.
    >>
    >> I like to have anything important in several places, and I print out a
    >> copy
    >> to make doubly sure.

    > Be aware that having the file listed in your favourites will not actually
    > save
    > the contents of the file, only a pointer to it.
    >
    > If the file is deleted the favourite will point to something non-existent.

    I always click save if I am working with a file. I have two copies on the
    desktop and several in My Documents, also I've saved the emailed copy.

    Geopelia, May 21, 2008
  6. Geopelia

    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message

    (snip)

    >>> Try putting file:// in the browser address line ... then you'll need to
    >>> browse
    >>> the filesystem to find the file.
    >>>
    >>> When you've found it you can add the address to your favourites, though
    >>> why
    >>> you'd want when it's on the desktop I dunno.
    >>>
    >>> Sorry I can't tell you the exact path to the file, I don't have an XP
    >>> system here.

    >> Thank you, I'll try that.

    That did it!

    I put file://Copy of (Name of file) in the address line and there it
    was, so I just put it in favourites. No need to find a long string of
    letters and numbers.

    I thought it would be something very simple, if some kind person could tell
    me what to do.

    Your help is much appreciated.

    Thank you.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, May 21, 2008
  7. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Geopelia" typed:
    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message

    > (snip)

    >>> Thank you, I'll try that.

    > That did it!
    >
    > I put file://Copy of (Name of file) in the address line and
    > there it was, so I just put it in favourites. No need to find a long
    > string of letters and numbers.
    >
    > I thought it would be something very simple, if some kind person
    > could tell me what to do.
    >
    > Your help is much appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Hi Geopelia,

    All you've done is mde a shortcut to it. It's not another copy.

    You say that you have two copies on your desktop, several in My Documents
    and one in your Gmail folder.

    The only 'back up' you actually have is the gmail one. All the others reside
    on the C:\windows partition of your HDD. Therefore if anything were to go
    wrong with your HDD or operating system the only back up copy you'd have is
    the one on Google's servers (Gmail). All the others would likely be blitzed.

    Rather than save a link to it in My Favourites I think you'd be better off
    putting it on a USB stick, CD-R/W or even a floppy disc, it sounds like this
    is an important document.

    On the bright side, a copy on your Gmail account is likely to be very safe
    (as long as you've actually emailed the whole document, not just a link to
    it). I don't think Google are going to 'go under' in a hurry.

    Regards,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 22, 2008
  8. Geopelia

    PeeCee Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message

    > (snip)

    >>> Thank you, I'll try that.

    > That did it!
    >
    > I put file://Copy of (Name of file) in the address line and there it
    > was, so I just put it in favourites. No need to find a long string of
    > letters and numbers.
    >
    > I thought it would be something very simple, if some kind person could
    > tell me what to do.
    >
    > Your help is much appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Geopelia

    Geopelia

    Pleased you found the answer.

    However I must echo Geoff's comment and ask why you want a Web browser
    bookmark to a .doc file on your hard drive?

    Is there something special about the document?

    Please put us out of our misery.

    All the best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, May 22, 2008
  9. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-05-22, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Geopelia" typed:
    >> "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message

    >> (snip)

    >> That did it!
    >>
    >> I put file://Copy of (Name of file) in the address line and
    >> there it was, so I just put it in favourites. No need to find a long
    >> string of letters and numbers.
    >>
    >> I thought it would be something very simple, if some kind person
    >> could tell me what to do.
    >>
    >> Your help is much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > Hi Geopelia,
    >
    > All you've done is mde a shortcut to it. It's not another copy.
    >
    > You say that you have two copies on your desktop, several in My Documents
    > and one in your Gmail folder.
    >
    > The only 'back up' you actually have is the gmail one. All the others reside
    > on the C:\windows partition of your HDD. Therefore if anything were to go
    > wrong with your HDD or operating system the only back up copy you'd have is
    > the one on Google's servers (Gmail). All the others would likely be blitzed.
    >
    > Rather than save a link to it in My Favourites I think you'd be better off
    > putting it on a USB stick, CD-R/W or even a floppy disc, it sounds like this
    > is an important document.
    >
    > On the bright side, a copy on your Gmail account is likely to be very safe
    > (as long as you've actually emailed the whole document, not just a link to
    > it). I don't think Google are going to 'go under' in a hurry.

    Backup is more about making a copy of a file. Having several copies on ones
    HD might be insurance that one deletes one by mistake. However if the HD
    fails then at best it will cost some many $$ to get the file back.

    USB sticks are good, but they like external HD are rewritable so one can
    delete the file. CD-R have the advantage that one can not delete the file
    and they can be taken away and stored someplace else. Make a couple of
    copies at least in case one falls over.

    There is no easy or failsafe answer.

    A second hard drive to which the important files are backed up automagically
    is one of the better ways in the real world.

    Gordon, May 22, 2008
  10. Geopelia

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in

    > I like to have anything important in several places, and I print out a
    > copy to make doubly sure.

    I hope you realize you just pointing to the original and not actually
    making any sort of backup when you do this? The backup is when you print
    it or copy it and then put it offsite at a trusted friends place.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 22, 2008
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Thanks to all.
    I don't use Gmail for mail, but I use the Google groups when other
    newsgroups have problems.

    Just about everything I ever wrote is somewhere on Google; I find articles
    from magazines all over the place, to my surprise.
    (I've heard the Library of Congress gets everything ever published, too,
    though goodness knows what the Americans do with it all).

    I don't really know why I wanted to put a document in Favourites. It just
    seemed a good idea at the time and I was puzzled as to why it seemed so
    difficult. Still, I learn a bit more about the computer each time I'm trying
    to work out what to do.

    I've got a copy printed out, too. Computers are fine, but real paper seems
    safer.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, May 22, 2008
  12. In article <g117gq$njq$>, Geopelia did write:

    > I have two copies on the desktop and several in My Documents, also I've
    > saved the emailed copy.

    One downside to having multiple copies is, what happens if you decide to go
    back and make some changes? How do you remember to update them all? Or
    conversely, how do you recognize an obsolete copy when you find one?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 24, 2008
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In article <g117gq$njq$>, Geopelia did write:
    >
    >> I have two copies on the desktop and several in My Documents, also I've
    >> saved the emailed copy.

    > One downside to having multiple copies is, what happens if you decide to
    > go
    > back and make some changes? How do you remember to update them all? Or
    > conversely, how do you recognize an obsolete copy when you find one?

    They are shown as Copy 1 , 2, 3 etc.in my Documents. As I change copy 1, I
    copy it again a few times and delete the other copies.

    Geopelia, May 24, 2008
  14. Geopelia

    PeeCee Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >> In article <g117gq$njq$>, Geopelia did write:
    >>
    >>> I have two copies on the desktop and several in My Documents, also I've
    >>> saved the emailed copy.

    >> One downside to having multiple copies is, what happens if you decide to
    >> go
    >> back and make some changes? How do you remember to update them all? Or
    >> conversely, how do you recognize an obsolete copy when you find one?

    > They are shown as Copy 1 , 2, 3 etc.in my Documents. As I change copy 1,
    > I copy it again a few times and delete the other copies.

    Geopelia

    As you have said you get great satisfaction from finding the answers to
    questions about your Computer, long may you keep this interest up.

    However your rationale behind your 'multiple copy' scheme has several flaws:
    Wasted drive space.
    Confusion over which is the latest version.
    Lost time copying the changed file over the several copies you have made.
    Trying to remember if you have done the copies.
    Placing all your files in one place does not provide any security from hard
    drive failure or rogue program/click/virus wiping your data folder.
    Serious management issues once your file numbers start to climb.
    etc etc.

    I can think of one circumstance where your multiple copy scheme is relevant
    and that is when you are exploring several versions of a particular file.
    This could be various versions of a picture edit, draft versions of a letter
    to someone etc.
    Conventional wisdom would suggest however once you have settled on a final
    version, you delete the variations to avoid confusion.

    Now you may think I am criticizing your 'multiple copy' method, but I feel
    you do this simply because you are unaware of the alternatives.
    So let's first of all decide what would be objectives of a multiple copy
    scheme.

    1 File security in case the original is lost/erased.
    2 A previous version in case the current file gets irreversibly screwed up
    during an edit.

    Both of these objectives and simplification of your file management duties
    can be achieved very simply by using a backup/synchronizing tool like 'Sync
    back or 'Synctoy'
    By attaching an external hard drive to your PC and configuring Syncback or
    Synctoy to copy 'changed and new files only' to your external hard drive you
    end up with a simple way of achieving both objectives at once.

    1 File security is attained by having a copy on the external hard drive
    completely separate from your computers hard drive so Virus/fire/hard drive
    failure can wipe your PC away and you still have your files.
    2 Previous version is of course on the external hard drive until you run
    SyncBack/SyncToy. If that is not enough for you buy two external hard drives
    and use them alternatly.

    And of course once you've set such a scheme up you'll have so much more time
    to explore other interesting aspects of PC ownership.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, May 24, 2008
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >>> In article <g117gq$njq$>, Geopelia did write:

    >>> One downside to having multiple copies is, what happens if you decide to
    >>> go
    >>> back and make some changes? How do you remember to update them all? Or
    >>> conversely, how do you recognize an obsolete copy when you find one?

    >> They are shown as Copy 1 , 2, 3 etc.in my Documents. As I change copy 1,
    >> I copy it again a few times and delete the other copies.
    >>

    > Geopelia
    >
    > As you have said you get great satisfaction from finding the answers to
    > questions about your Computer, long may you keep this interest up.
    >
    > However your rationale behind your 'multiple copy' scheme has several
    > flaws:
    > Wasted drive space.
    > Confusion over which is the latest version.
    > Lost time copying the changed file over the several copies you have made.
    > Trying to remember if you have done the copies.
    > Placing all your files in one place does not provide any security from
    > hard drive failure or rogue program/click/virus wiping your data folder.
    > Serious management issues once your file numbers start to climb.
    > etc etc.
    >
    > I can think of one circumstance where your multiple copy scheme is
    > relevant and that is when you are exploring several versions of a
    > particular file.
    > This could be various versions of a picture edit, draft versions of a
    > letter to someone etc.
    > Conventional wisdom would suggest however once you have settled on a final
    > version, you delete the variations to avoid confusion.
    >
    > Now you may think I am criticizing your 'multiple copy' method, but I feel
    > you do this simply because you are unaware of the alternatives.
    > So let's first of all decide what would be objectives of a multiple copy
    > scheme.
    >
    > 1 File security in case the original is lost/erased.
    > 2 A previous version in case the current file gets irreversibly screwed up
    > during an edit.

    I just want to be sure I don't delete something important by mistake.

    > Both of these objectives and simplification of your file management duties
    > can be achieved very simply by using a backup/synchronizing tool like
    > 'Sync back or 'Synctoy'
    > By attaching an external hard drive to your PC and configuring Syncback or
    > Synctoy to copy 'changed and new files only' to your external hard drive
    > you end up with a simple way of achieving both objectives at once.
    >
    > 1 File security is attained by having a copy on the external hard drive
    > completely separate from your computers hard drive so Virus/fire/hard
    > drive failure can wipe your PC away and you still have your files.
    > 2 Previous version is of course on the external hard drive until you run
    > SyncBack/SyncToy. If that is not enough for you buy two external hard
    > drives and use them alternatly.
    >
    > And of course once you've set such a scheme up you'll have so much more
    > time to explore other interesting aspects of PC ownership.
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    I would have to ask the computer man about that.

    Thank you

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, May 24, 2008