    Has anyone done it? If yes, please, let me know how did it work in practice?

    thanks
    divoch

    divoch, Feb 17, 2009

  2. divoch

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Ivor Jones, Feb 18, 2009

  3. divoch

    Graham. Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In news:w%Dml.22679$2,
    > divoch <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    > reason:
    > : Has anyone done it? If yes, please, let me know how did it work in
    > : practice?
    >
    > Did you not look at Sipgate's website or ask their helpdesk..?
    >
    > See here:
    >
    > https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.php?do=displayArticle&article=13&id=225&top=true

    As you need an account and be logged in to view that page, I have copied the
    content below.

    "May I keep my normal (BT) telephone number and move it over to your
    service?
    Usually, it is possible to keep your (BT) telephone number and move it over
    to sipgate.

    To check, if you're (sic) number can be ported, please contact our support
    and send the telephone
    number you would like to move over. If it's possible, we will send you two
    forms.
    You will then have to fill them out and to send them back to us signed."

    I imagine this service isn't free, does anyone know what charges apply?

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Feb 18, 2009
  4. divoch

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:gni4e4$bas$,
    Graham. <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    : "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > In news:w%Dml.22679$2,
    : > divoch <> typed, for some strange,
    : > unexplained reason:
    : > : Has anyone done it? If yes, please, let me know how did it work in
    : > : practice?
    : >
    :
    : As you need an account and be logged in to view that page, I have
    : copied the content below.

    [snip]

    Actually you don't need to be logged in - try it.

    : I imagine this service isn't free, does anyone know what charges
    : apply?

    Good question..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 19, 2009
  5. In article <gni4e4$bas$>, Graham. <> wrote:

    >I imagine this service isn't free, does anyone know what charges apply?

    I don't know what Sipgate will charge, but the "going rate" is usually
    somewhere between £15 and £35 plus VAT per number... (£25 is what I
    charge, Gradwell is £20 on their web site, AQL is £15 and so on...)

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Feb 19, 2009
  6. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > In article <gni4e4$bas$>, Graham. <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I imagine this service isn't free, does anyone know what charges apply?

    > I don't know what Sipgate will charge, but the "going rate" is usually
    > somewhere between £15 and £35 plus VAT per number... (£25 is what I
    > charge, Gradwell is £20 on their web site, AQL is £15 and so on...)
    >
    > Gordon

    Thanks for replies.
    Part of my question was to see what practical experience anyone had but it
    looks that I would probably be a pioneer in this respect -:(
    divoch

    divoch, Feb 19, 2009
  7. divoch

    BC Guest

    divoch wrote:

    >> Gordon

    > Thanks for replies.
    > Part of my question was to see what practical experience anyone had but
    > it looks that I would probably be a pioneer in this respect -:(
    > divoch

    I ported from BT to voip.co.uk. No problems really. I think it took
    about 2 weeks after I submitted the authorisation form.

    BC, Feb 19, 2009
  8. In article <EG9nl.2459$2>,
    divoch <> wrote:

    >"Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <gni4e4$bas$>, Graham. <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I imagine this service isn't free, does anyone know what charges apply?

    >> I don't know what Sipgate will charge, but the "going rate" is usually
    >> somewhere between £15 and £35 plus VAT per number... (£25 is what I
    >> charge, Gradwell is £20 on their web site, AQL is £15 and so on...)
    >>
    >> Gordon

    >Thanks for replies.
    >Part of my question was to see what practical experience anyone had but it
    >looks that I would probably be a pioneer in this respect -:(

    There shouldn't be any real issues with it - it may be early days for
    Sipgate in number porting, but their wholesale supplier has been doing
    it for a long time and I've done quite a few myself via the same supplier.

    Not all BT numbers can be ported yet - I did one recnetly that failed,
    but it went through again a few weeks later - I think it's something to
    do with the exchanges or the software they're running or something, but
    I've never bothered to find out at that level of detail.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Feb 19, 2009
  9. divoch

    Tim Guest

    divoch wrote:

    > Thanks for replies.
    > Part of my question was to see what practical experience anyone had but
    > it looks that I would probably be a pioneer in this respect -:(
    > divoch

    I've never ported a number to SIPgate.

    But we have various numbers ported through various ISPs who use the same
    backend provider as SIPgate. All went smoothly.

    Providing you get the billing details correct from the BT bill, then
    they are usually successful.

    Tim

    Tim, Feb 19, 2009
  10. divoch

    Graham. Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > In news:gni4e4$bas$,
    > Graham. <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    > : "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > : news:...
    > : > In news:w%Dml.22679$2,
    > : > divoch <> typed, for some strange,
    > : > unexplained reason:
    > : > : Has anyone done it? If yes, please, let me know how did it work in
    > : > : practice?
    > : >
    > : > Did you not look at Sipgate's website or ask their helpdesk..?
    > : >
    > : > See here:
    > : >
    > : >
    > https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.php?do=displayArticle&article=13&id=225&top=true
    > :
    > : As you need an account and be logged in to view that page, I have
    > : copied the content below.
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Actually you don't need to be logged in - try it.

    You are right (sort of)
    If I click the link I usually get a page of ads with a message about
    enabling
    cookies, but if I click the link twice in succession it goes to the correct
    page.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Feb 19, 2009
  11. divoch

    Graham. Guest

    "divoch" <> wrote in message

    > "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <gni4e4$bas$>, Graham. <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I imagine this service isn't free, does anyone know what charges apply?

    >> I don't know what Sipgate will charge, but the "going rate" is usually
    >> somewhere between £15 and £35 plus VAT per number... (£25 is what I
    >> charge, Gradwell is £20 on their web site, AQL is £15 and so on...)
    >>
    >> Gordon

    > Thanks for replies.
    > Part of my question was to see what practical experience anyone had but it
    > looks that I would probably be a pioneer in this respect -:(
    > divoch

    A few months ago I cancelled a line that had been in SWMBOs family for
    50 years, so it had a some sentimental value. Maybe I should gave made
    enquiries then.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Feb 19, 2009
  12. divoch

    Guest

    Hi,
    Has anyone ported a number from Virgin Media to Sipgate?

    , Apr 14, 2009
  13. divoch

    Jono Guest

    was thinking very hard :
    > Subject: Re: Moving BT number to Sipgate

    > Hi,
    > Has anyone ported a number from Virgin Media to Sipgate?

    Go on...which is it? BT or VM?

    Jono, Apr 15, 2009
  14. divoch

    Guest

    On Apr 15, 6:21 am, Jono <> wrote:
    > was thinking very hard :
    >
    > > Subject: Re: Moving BT number to Sipgate

    > > Hi,
    > > Has anyone ported a number from Virgin Media to Sipgate?

    > Go on...which is it? BT or VM?

    I'm not having a very good time getting Sipgate to port two numbers.
    First off, they said that although I'd set up two separate Sipgate
    accounts, they could only route our two phone numbers to one account,
    which is pretty useless. Now they're saying that they may not be able
    to dot it at all because we're with Opal and the can only port BT
    numbers. Presumably, that puts Virgin Media numbers off the menu too.

    , Apr 15, 2009
  15. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >On Apr 15, 6:21 am, Jono <> wrote:
    >> was thinking very hard :
    >>
    >> > Subject: Re: Moving BT number to Sipgate

    >> > Hi,
    >> > Has anyone ported a number from Virgin Media to Sipgate?

    >> Go on...which is it? BT or VM?

    >I'm not having a very good time getting Sipgate to port two numbers.
    >First off, they said that although I'd set up two separate Sipgate
    >accounts, they could only route our two phone numbers to one account,
    >which is pretty useless. Now they're saying that they may not be able
    >to dot it at all because we're with Opal and the can only port BT
    >numbers. Presumably, that puts Virgin Media numbers off the menu too.

    The whole porting business appears to be fraught with issues. For Sipgate,
    it's their wholesale carrier (Magrathea) that does the actual porting,
    and they are the ones that need the porting arrangements at the network
    level - sadly, it seems to take a long time to get an agreement in-place
    with operators to port numbers in, and understandably, operators are
    reluctant to lose numbers because they then lose revenue on them...

    Porting in from BT is relatively straightforward now - there's (usually)
    a one-off fee then whatever on-going fees the ITSP charges. Although,
    even now, not all BT numbers can be ported - I had one fail a few months
    back, but then BT did some magic and it was available for porting a month
    or 2 later... (Maybe it depends in the software in the BT exchange,
    who knows!)

    I've never been able to port numbers in from anyone other than BT
    (through my wholesaler) although I know they're working on Telewest...

    One day it'll be universal, but it's not going to be this decade...

    Changing number is a royal PITA and the telcos who hold these numbers
    know it. I've had more than one client who's taken the decision to change
    numbers rather than be held ransom by a telco.

    What you might have to do is check other ITSPs and find one that can do
    the port and give you a SIP account, but then it becomes a management
    issue...

    As for routing numbers to separate accounts or multiple accounts - well,
    that's a policy decision made by the ITSP. There's no technical reason for
    not being able to route different DIDs down one SIP account or separate
    SIP accounts, but some ITSPs either don't have the hardware to support
    it, or the software (that drives the hardware) I can see where you'd
    want separate accounts if you had separate phones, but wanted just one
    account if it was going into a PBX...

    Personally, I believe in giving the customer what they want, but then
    I charge more for it... (So you get what you pay for, and no, I can't
    port Opal numbers at present, sorry) I suspect Sipgate are working to
    the masses with a one-size fits all type of approach...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Apr 15, 2009
  16. divoch

    Guest

    > What you might have to do is check other ITSPs and find one that
    can do
    > the port and give you a SIP account, but then it becomes a management
    > issue...
    >

    > Gordon

    Thank you for such a detailed reply. That's very helpful.

    , Apr 15, 2009
  17. divoch

    Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > On Apr 15, 6:21 am, Jono <> wrote:
    >> was thinking very hard :
    >>
    >>> Subject: Re: Moving BT number to Sipgate
    >>> Hi,
    >>> Has anyone ported a number from Virgin Media to Sipgate?

    >> Go on...which is it? BT or VM?

    > I'm not having a very good time getting Sipgate to port two numbers.
    > First off, they said that although I'd set up two separate Sipgate
    > accounts, they could only route our two phone numbers to one account,
    > which is pretty useless. Now they're saying that they may not be able
    > to dot it at all because we're with Opal and the can only port BT
    > numbers. Presumably, that puts Virgin Media numbers off the menu too.

    In addition to Gordon's answer.

    There has to be a porting agreement in place between the two telcos.

    Virgin Media numbers used to be a problem, but I believe various ITSPs
    can port them ok now. I know Voipfone can do them. I guess Gradwell
    can as well. I don't see any reason any Sipgate couldn't do them either.

    Opal numbers are more tricky. I can only think of one provider who
    might be able to properly port it. I've just emailed them to ask.

    Other option for Opal numbers over SIP might be Voiceflex.

    Voipfone reckon they can port some Opal numbers, but you'd need to give
    them the number for them to check.

    Tim

    Tim, Apr 15, 2009
  18. divoch

    Guest

    > Opal numbers are more tricky.   I can only think of one provider who
    > might be able to properly port it. I've just emailed them to ask.
    >

    > Tim

    Cheers Tim. We've moving out of our office soon and need to take our
    phone numbers with us, so this help is really appreciated.

    , Apr 15, 2009
  19. divoch

    Guest

    On Apr 15, 12:49 pm, wrote:
    > > Opal numbers are more tricky.   I can only think of one provider who
    > > might be able to properly port it. I've just emailed them to ask.

    > > Tim

    > Cheers Tim. We've moving out of our office soon and need to take our
    > phone numbers with us, so this help is really appreciated.

    **Just to let you know how this ended up. The only service provider I
    could find that was able to port the numbers from Opal was
    Telappliant. They have some good packages for business but don't deal
    with the domestic market at all. Thanks again for all the input.
    Simon

    , Apr 16, 2009