Moving Bookmarks from FF >> FF

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Vartkes, Apr 14, 2005.

  1. Vartkes

    Vartkes Guest

    Hi

    I am moving machine. I want to *export* my
    FF bookmarks to the new machine, new FF installation. I see no option
    for doing this. My existing FF only gives me *import* options.

    The new FF asks if I want to import, but only from Explorer.

    (There is some inferiority complex built into FF here ;-)

    Any suggestions how I may do this?

    Thanks

    Vartkes

    ----
    Vartkes (private)

    Vartkes, Apr 14, 2005

  2. Vartkes

    Doug G Guest

    Vartkes wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am moving machine. I want to *export* my
    > FF bookmarks to the new machine, new FF installation. I see no option
    > for doing this. My existing FF only gives me *import* options.
    >
    > The new FF asks if I want to import, but only from Explorer.
    >
    > (There is some inferiority complex built into FF here ;-)
    >
    > Any suggestions how I may do this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Vartkes

    The Bookmarks Manager window has Export on its File menu.

    Doug G, Apr 14, 2005

  3. Vartkes

    Nick Thomas Guest

    Vartkes wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am moving machine. I want to *export* my
    > FF bookmarks to the new machine, new FF installation. I see no option
    > for doing this. My existing FF only gives me *import* options.
    >
    > The new FF asks if I want to import, but only from Explorer.
    >
    > (There is some inferiority complex built into FF here ;-)
    >
    > Any suggestions how I may do this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Vartkes

    > ----
    > Vartkes (private)

    Export: Bookmarks menu, Manage Bookmarks; File menu, Export
    Import: Bookmarks menu, Manage Bookmarks; File menu, Import

    Nick Thomas, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Vartkes

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Vartkes wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I am moving machine. I want to *export* my
    > FF bookmarks to the new machine, new FF installation. I see no option
    > for doing this. My existing FF only gives me *import* options.
    >
    > The new FF asks if I want to import, but only from Explorer.
    >
    > (There is some inferiority complex built into FF here ;-)
    >
    > Any suggestions how I may do this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Vartkes

    > ----
    > Vartkes (private)

    There is NO need to export and import. Copy the file bookmarks.html
    from one installation to the other.

    And backup your profile on a regular basis.
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_profile.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Apr 14, 2005
  5. Vartkes

    Vartkes Guest

    "Nick Thomas" <> wrote in message
    > Vartkes wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I am moving machine. I want to *export* my
    > > FF bookmarks to the new machine, new FF installation. I see no option
    > > for doing this. My existing FF only gives me *import* options.
    > >
    > > The new FF asks if I want to import, but only from Explorer.
    > >
    > > (There is some inferiority complex built into FF here ;-)
    > >
    > > Any suggestions how I may do this?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Vartkes

    > > ----
    > > Vartkes (private)
    > >

    > Export: Bookmarks menu, Manage Bookmarks; File menu, Export
    > Import: Bookmarks menu, Manage Bookmarks; File menu, Import

    Thank you all (Nick, Doug, Ed) - easy when you know how.

    Vartkes

    Vartkes, Apr 15, 2005
  6. backing up Profiles...was Re: Moving Bookmarks from FF >> FF

    Hi Ed,

    I'm brand new to Mozilla. I'm still using OE but I'm now using FF.
    So to back up profiles (4 users on the computer), I just need to backup the
    4 users profiles at C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\??

    That's easy! And then those files could be imported into a new or clean
    install of FF if needed??

    Thanks for helping a newbie.

    ....Lisa

    Lisa Hetherington, Apr 20, 2005
  7. Vartkes

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Re: backing up Profiles...was Re: Moving Bookmarks from FF >> FF

    Lisa Hetherington wrote:

    > Hi Ed,
    >
    > I'm brand new to Mozilla. I'm still using OE but I'm now using FF.
    > So to back up profiles (4 users on the computer), I just need to backup the
    > 4 users profiles at C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\??

    Yes. And backup the profiles on a regular basis!

    > That's easy! And then those files could be imported into a new or clean
    > install of FF if needed??

    Yes. Here are a couple links that discuss copying/moving profiles which
    also apply to what you've asked.

    http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html
    http://ilias.ca/netscape/profilefaq/#transferring

    > Thanks for helping a newbie.