    (unencrypted file going into encrypted folder) -- when I do it seems to
    encrypt (sp3 applied).
    is there a good and simple reference on this?
    Paul L, Nov 3, 2003

  2. Paul L

    S. O'Brien Guest

    you never said if you were copying or moving the files... on the same
    computer? different computer? here is a starting place... happy hunting:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows200...en/professional/help/encrypt_to_move_file.htm

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/default.asp

    www.microsoft.com

    or memorize these charts:

    http://www.svrops.com/svrops/documents/movecopy.htm

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69
    http://www.mcngp.tk

    "Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good
    example." --Mark Twain

    "Paul L" <> wrote in message
    > I find this a bit confusing when I play with it.
    > I know that when a file goes to FAT volume it loses encryption.
    > When something is put into encrypted folder it gets/stays encrypted.
    > I remember seeing somewhere an exception for moving a file within the same
    > volume.
    > The resource kit says that if you drag and drop encryption is not

    automatic

    S. O'Brien, Nov 3, 2003

  3. Paul L

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >or memorize these charts:
    >
    >http://www.svrops.com/svrops/documents/movecopy.htm

    The confusion here arises in the fact that certain commands carried
    out through a command shell act differently than those through the
    explorer shell, e.g.

    Move unencrypted file to an encrypted folder through explorer, file
    becomes encrypted.

    Move unencrypted file to an encrypted folder through command shell,
    file remains unencrypted.

    Also worth pointing out mount points, re-parse points & system files
    cannot be encrypted. The 'write attributes' permission is also
    required in order to encrypt and unencrypted files/folders.
    Kline Sphere, Nov 3, 2003
  4. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307877
    307877 How To: Encrypt a File
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308989
    308989 How To: Encrypt a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308993
    308993 How To: Remove File Encryption
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;223316
    223316 Best Practices for Encrypting File System

    Did you know that two users can share an encrypted file under windows
    XP ? http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308991 (this is the aricle
    from which the 4 links above came)

    I found a couple of answers to my questions on encryption and security
    here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...42-E236-4D73-AEF4-7B4FDC0A25F6&displaylang=en

    Download the PDF and read

    Marlin Munrow, Nov 3, 2003
  5. Paul L

    S. O'Brien Guest

    "Kline Sphere" <-> wrote in message
    > >or memorize these charts:
    > >
    > >http://www.svrops.com/svrops/documents/movecopy.htm

    > The confusion here arises in the fact that certain commands carried
    > out through a command shell act differently than those through the
    > explorer shell, e.g.

    True enough... however, the question seemed geared towards studying...
    which, in most cases, means explorer based applications. I didn't think I
    needed to confuse the poor lad. :)

    Sue

    S. O'Brien, Nov 3, 2003
  6. Paul L

    Paul L Guest

    thanks for the tip (reminder) about the difference between command line and
    explorer moving
    Paul L, Nov 3, 2003
  7. Paul L

    Paul L Guest

    trying to keep my mind clear of xp:)
    seriously good to know what gets improved, one of those times when I think
    better to just try for 2003 exams instead but I bought the book already.....
    realized today that xp can show encrypted filenames in colour when was using
    w2k server remotely thru xp machine
    Paul L, Nov 3, 2003
  8. Paul L

    Paul L Guest

    I guess the answer is all of the above multiplied by command line and
    explorer
    thanks for the links

    Paul L, Nov 3, 2003
  9. Basically anything you put in the encrypted folder is encrypted. There seems to be
    some misinformation going around about efs, but your expernience is correct . ---
    Steve

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/security/efssteps.asp

    Steven L Umbach, Nov 4, 2003