    video all i get is a black screen with audio. I use Nero Showtime 2, Media
    player classic, and Windows Media Player 10 and all i get is sound and a
    black screen. Please help!

    =?Utf-8?B?WGVub24gQWxjaGVtaXN0?=, Sep 25, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?WGVub24gQWxjaGVtaXN0?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you install the mega-pack version you should get the video.

    "Xenon Alchemist" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    John Barnes, Sep 25, 2006

  3. John:
    Before filling up the OP PC with too many codecs I would download the
    freeware utilities gspot or avicodec in order to find out which is (are) the
    codec(s) he is missing.
    Xenon:
    Is there any type of movie you can play?
    Can you play *.wmv files, for example?

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 25, 2006
  4. I used gspot, and according to it I have the correct codecs for my avi files,
    but gspot doesn't support .wmv format, however since i only have one file in
    that format at the moment so that's not my biggest concern. I still only get
    a black screen.

    =?Utf-8?B?WGVub24gQWxjaGVtaXN0?=, Sep 25, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?WGVub24gQWxjaGVtaXN0?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Follow Carlos' advice. He is best in this area.

    John Barnes, Sep 25, 2006
  6. First things first.
    Could you watch *.wmv movies before installing K-lite Codec Pack?
    If the answer is NO, then your problem is not codec related and I should
    start looking into your video card options (overlay, etc.).
    If the answer is YES, then your problem is codec related.
    Download ffdshow.
    Uninstall K-lite Codec Pack (never used it so I don't know the exact
    uninstall process).
    Install ffdshow.
    That has been my one stop solution for Windows XP, Windows XP x64 and Vista
    x64.
    I am puzzled by the fact that none of the media players you have can play
    any video.
    The fact that Gspot confirms that you have the proper codecs is also a
    mystery.
    Give ffdshow a try!
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 25, 2006
  7. Thanks, John!
    I'll buy you a beer when you come down to Tierra del Fuego.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 25, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?WGVub24gQWxjaGVtaXN0?=

    Jane C Guest

    ffdshow gets installed as part of K-Lite Codec Pack, provided that you make
    sure the box for it is checked before install.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane C, Sep 25, 2006
  9. Then I guess we are gonna need an "alchemist" here (no pun intended).
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 26, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?WGVub24gQWxjaGVtaXN0?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Installed on mine and didn't see the checkbox. I have no problems with any
    video I have tried to play.
    I did install the mega-pack version

    John Barnes, Sep 26, 2006
  11. I am sorry, but your Radeon is ATI (isn't it?) NVIDIA drivers will not help
    you at all, I'm afraid!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 27, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?WGVub24gQWxjaGVtaXN0?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    He might have meant "GeForce 7900gt", since 7900gt is an NVIDIA model,
    correct?

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Sep 27, 2006
  13. Agree, there is room for deliberation on the interpretation. You are
    probably right though, since if not - this specific problem wouldn't be the
    first obvious one to enquire about. :0o

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 27, 2006
  14. Any progress?
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 27, 2006
  15. Apologies, i did mean GeForce, it was an error on my part (early mornings +
    stressing over video problems = Error!). I still have yet to figure out what
    could be the problem, and i dont want to have to do a clean install of
    windows, since i dont think that is the cause. I have the system set up with
    2 drives in a raid array for Windows only, and another drive for all other
    files, could this be part of the cause? do i need to have the drivers, media
    players, and/or codecs on the system drive?

    =?Utf-8?B?WGVub24gQWxjaGVtaXN0?=, Sep 28, 2006
  16. O.K. - That should put us back on track.

    As for the HD's - I really do not think that it could make any difference,
    but as a matter of nature I would definitely put the codecs on the same
    drive/partition as the driver, if for nothing else then at least for
    correcting disturbances and future trouble-shooting jobs - now, where did I
    put that thing???

    One other thing you should note is that contrary to the age-old mantra to
    always upgrade your drivers to the newest version, I practically never
    change my drivers if I don't have any issues - not until the development
    crosses a new major version number anyhow (like x.1 to x.2 - not x.x.1 to
    x.x.2) If something extraordinary happens in between, you'll hear about it.

    If a driver gives you trouble try and go backwards, nVidia has an excellent
    archive of older drivers.

    Since the card has a 7900 GPU, I doubt it that this is the problem but if it
    is a so called GO card (for notebooks!) then the normal drivers don't work
    very well. In fact, many GO Cards aren't even supported by the normal
    drivers. In such cases I recommend:

    http://www.ngohq.com

    they do hand-tweaking of the original drivers to support all cards and gives
    you options for enhanced performans OR quality.

    Very good stuff, and definitely something I try if there is the least bit of
    trouble with my display.

    I have one overclocked card that gets very hot, I always use the ngohq
    drivers (64bit) and clokc it down a bit to make it stable. That machine
    would be useless without it! (or a different card?)

    Other than that, I am no authority on codecs - Carlos has got the subject in
    good command, though. Good luck!

    Ahem. . .is that machine an SLI configuration? Not everything likes that,
    I've heard?

    Tony. . .

    "Xenon Alchemist" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    +
    > stressing over video problems = Error!). I still have yet to figure out

    what
    > could be the problem, and i dont want to have to do a clean install of
    > windows, since i dont think that is the cause. I have the system set up

    with
    > 2 drives in a raid array for Windows only, and another drive for all other
    > files, could this be part of the cause? do i need to have the drivers,

    media
    > players, and/or codecs on the system drive?
    >
    > "Tony Sperling" wrote:
    >
    > > Agree, there is room for deliberation on the interpretation. You are
    > > probably right though, since if not - this specific problem wouldn't be

    the
    > > first obvious one to enquire about. :0o
    > >
    > > Tony. . .
    > >

    > > "Aaron Kelley" <> wrote in message
    > > > He might have meant "GeForce 7900gt", since 7900gt is an NVIDIA model,
    > > > correct?
    > > >
    > > > - Aaron
    > > >
    > > > "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message

    not
    > > help

    in

    Tony Sperling, Sep 28, 2006
  17. FINALLY! I feel like such an idiot! i uninstalled the latest version of
    forceware that nvidia put out, and used the same one a friend with a similar
    system has...and low and behold...i have video!!! I also reinstalled the
    k-lite pack making sure that the codecs were registered properly, that may
    have been the problem all along. Mainly I just wanted to say THANKS to
    everyone, without you guys I would probably still be sitting here guessing...
    and now i'm off to go watch a movie! -XenonAlchemist

    =?Utf-8?B?WGVub24gQWxjaGVtaXN0?=, Nov 7, 2006
  18. Good to hear that!

    Happy watching!

    Tony. . .

    "Xenon Alchemist" <> wrote in