    GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
    http://www.genreonline.net
    Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
    Writer R5, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Opticreep

    gaffo Guest

    Opticreep wrote:

    > Once in a while, I'd watch a poignant movie that would stay with me
    > long after the lights come up. It would stay with me for days, and it
    > may even linger for weeks.
    >
    > "The Godfather" did that to me, and so did "Godfather part II".
    > "Platoon" and "Glory" were the same way (even though the latter had
    > more than its share of flaws). "Memento" and more recently, "Lost in
    > Translation" had the same effect on me.
    >
    > Some movies come close. "American History X", "Saving Private Ryan",
    > "28 Days Later", "Crouching Tiger", and "A.I." come to mind. And as
    > much as I really, really hate to admit it... "Titanic" stayed in my
    > mind for a short while. And I went to that movie with flamethrowers
    > drawn and ready to flame, too.
    >
    > I much prefer these kinds of movies than all the crap coming out of
    > hollywood these days. Even good "crap" that garner a bunch of rave
    > reviews. A lot of movies these days make me feel as though I have
    > Alzheimer's Disease. I walk in, watch the movie, enjoy a little bit,
    > and 3 days later I wouldn't be able to recall a thing about the movie
    > if you held a gun to my head. "Spiderman", "Hulk", "Insomnia", "We
    > Were Soldiers", "Ocean's 11", "Matrix", and about a hundred other
    > films I allegedly saw whose titles I don't even remember.
    >
    > Anyway, anybody else have had *good* movies stay with them a long
    > time?
    >
    > Anyway

    ya Glory and Platoon were good.

    Nixon
    Full Metal Jacket
    Seven Days in May (...........we are living that one today!)
    Fail Safe (kewlest movie EVER!)
    Dr Stranglove
    Manchurain Candidate
    Color of Paradise (Iranian)
    Devil's Backbone (spanish)
    Sixth Sense (one of my favs!)
    Exorcist III (BETTER than I............which was also good!)
    Dark Blue World (chech movie about WW2)
    Patterns (Rod Serling directed)
    many Alfred Hitchcock movies
    Pascali's Island
    Alien
    Aliens
    Black Hawk Down
    2001 Space Odyessey (one of the best of all time)
    Body Snatchers - both the 50's one and the 70's one.
    12 Angry Men (original Lumet's version - remake was crap)

    I'm sure I've forgotten many more.

    Fail Safe and Space Odyseey were the two best of all time
    IMO........closely followed by Sixth Sense

    --
    http://baltimorechronicle.com/041704reTreason.shtml

    http://www.truthinaction.net/iraq/illegaljayne.htm

    "Bush, in Austin, criticized President Clinton's administration for
    the Kosovo military action.'Victory means exit strategy, and it's important
    for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is,' Bush said."
    Houston Chronicle 4/9/99

    "The new administration seems to be paying no attention to the problem
    of terrorism. What they will do is stagger along until there's a major
    incident and then suddenly say, 'Oh my God, shouldn't we be organized
    to deal with this?'"
    - Paul Bremer, speaking to a McCormick Tribune Foundation conference
    on terrorism in Wheaton, Ill. on Feb. 26, 2001.

    "On Jan. 26, 1998, President Clinton received a letter imploring him to use
    his State of the Union address to make removal of Saddam Hussein's regime
    the "aim of American foreign policy" and to use military action because
    "diplomacy is failing." Were Clinton to do that, the signers pledged, they
    would "offer our full support in this difficult but necessary endeavor."
    Signing the pledge were Elliott Abrams, Bill Bennett, John Bolton, Robert
    Kagan, William Kristol, Richard Perle, and Paul Wolfowitz. Four years before
    9/11, the neocons had Baghdad on their minds."
    -philip (usenet)

    "I had better things to do in the 60s than fight in Vietnam,"
    -Richard Cheney, Kerry critic.

    "I hope they will understand that in order for this government to get up
    and running
    - to be effective - some of its sovereignty will have to be given
    back, if I can put it that way,
    or limited by them, It's sovereignty but [some] of that sovereignty they
    are going to allow us to exercise
    on their behalf and with their permission."
    - Powell 4/27/04

    "We're trying to explain how things are going, and they are going as they
    are going," he said, adding: "Some things are going well and some things
    obviously are not going well. You're going to have good days and bad days."
    On the road to democracy, this "is one moment, and there will be other
    moments. And there will be good moments and there will be less good
    moments."
    - Rumsfeld 4/6/04

    RUSSERT: Are you prepared to lose?

    BUSH: No, I'm not going to lose.

    RUSSERT: If you did, what would you do?

    BUSH: Well, I don't plan on losing. I've got a vision for what I want to
    do for the country.
    See, I know exactly where I want to lead.................And we got
    changing times
    here in America, too., 2/8/04

    "And that's very important for, I think, the people to understand where
    I'm coming from,
    to know that this is a dangerous world. I wish it wasn't. I'm a war
    president.
    I make decisions here in the Oval Office in foreign policy matters with
    war on my mind.
    - pResident of the United State of America, 2/8/04

    "Let's talk about the nuclear proposition for a minute. We know that
    based on intelligence, that he has been very, very good at hiding
    these kinds of efforts. He's had years to get good at it and we know
    he has been absolutely devoted to trying to acquire nuclear weapons.
    And we believe he has, in fact, reconstituted nuclear weapons."
    - Vice President Dick Cheney, on "Meet the Press", 3/16/03

    "I don't know anybody that I can think of who has contended that the
    Iraqis had nuclear weapons."
    - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, 6/24/03

    "I think in this case international law
    stood in the way of doing the right thing (invading Iraq)."
    - Richard Perle

    "He (Saddam Hussein) has not developed any significant capability with
    respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project
    conventional power against his neighbours."
    - Colin Powell February 24 2001

    "We have been successful for the last ten years in keeping
    him from developing those weapons and we will continue to be successful."

    "He threatens not the United States."

    "But I also thought that we had pretty
    much removed his stings and frankly for ten years we really have."

    'But what is interesting is that with the regime that has been in place
    for the past ten years, I think a pretty good job has been done of
    keeping him from breaking out and suddenly showing up one day and saying
    "look what I got." He hasn't been able to do that.'
    - Colin Powell February 26 2001
    gaffo, May 14, 2004

  3. Opticreep

    gaffo Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > "Memento"
    >
    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message news:<c5151g$5q4$>...
    >
    >>"Opticreep" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Anyway, anybody else have had *good* movies stay with them a long
    >>>time?

    >>Among new movies, check out "Thirteen". That one is going to stay with me
    >>for a long time.
    >>
    >>Mike

    "Following" was getter.................that director's earlier work.

    gaffo, May 14, 2004
  4. Opticreep

    gaffo Guest

    LASERandDVDfan wrote:

    > "The Midnight Express"

    damn forgot that one!

    > "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"

    best of all the movies.

    > "12 Angry Men" (Henry Fonda version)

    YES! Lumets WAY WAY better than the crappy re-make version.

    > "Psycho"

    DAMN! how could I forget this one!?......GOOD Movie!

    > "The Right Stuff"

    damn another one!

    > "Changing Lanes"
    >
    > "Stardust Memories"
    >
    > "Play it again, Sam"

    don't know these.........but you have good taste........I'll rent them.

    > "The French Connection"

    yes

    gaffo, May 14, 2004
  5. Opticreep

    gaffo Guest

    Trevor S wrote:

    > Angela's Ashs

    depressing but good.

    reminded me of "my name is joe"

    also depressingly good ;-).

    gaffo, May 14, 2004
  6. Opticreep

    Al Jones Guest

    I remember playing Fargo for a friend who immediately took an intense
    disliking to the film.

    Two weeks later, he called to say that it had been on his mind constantly
    and "Now he got it" and wanted to see it again.

    I've had similar experiences with films and music. Things that don't grab
    you immediately, but grow on you over time.

    These are usually the experiences that have lasting value.

    Al Jones

    Al Jones, May 14, 2004
  7. Opticreep

    jpeabody Guest

    Star Wars
    American Werewolf in London (nightmares for weeks)
    Do The Right Thing ("Always do the right thing." "That's it?"
    "That's it." "I got it, I'm gone.")
    Ghost World
    Citizen Kane
    Age of Innocence

    That scene in The Sixth Sense where HJO gets up in the middle of the
    night and goes to the kitchen to find that ghost woman screaming at
    him. Something about the composition of the shot, the woman standing
    off-center with her huge, pulsating, screaming face set against those
    white cabinets with all the black knobs really creeps me out.

    I have a feeling I will be watching "Fog of War" over and over again.
    I'm sure I would've hated McNamara if I was alive in the 60s, but he
    is endlessly fascinating today.
    jpeabody, May 14, 2004
  8. Up the Down Staircase

    The Chocolate War
    Vlvetmorning98, May 15, 2004
  9. Opticreep

    gano Guest

    Waking the Dead
    gano, May 15, 2004
  10. Opticreep

    gaffo Guest

    Al Jones wrote:

    > I remember playing Fargo for a friend who immediately took an intense
    > disliking to the film.

    Fargo was great - as was Barton Fink. and Big Lowboski.

    oh ya Blood Simple too!

    not seen the brothers other films - yet ;-).

    gaffo, May 15, 2004
  11. Opticreep

    Video Flyer Guest

    On 5/15/04 11:59 AM, in article
    F%rpc.8903$, "gaffo" <>
    wrote:

    > Al Jones wrote:
    >
    >> I remember playing Fargo for a friend who immediately took an intense
    >> disliking to the film.

    > Fargo was great - as was Barton Fink. and Big Lowboski.
    >

    > oh ya Blood Simple too!
    >
    > not seen the brothers other films - yet ;-).

    Haven't seen Raising Arizona, eh? Man, I love that flick!

    Neal
    Video Flyer, May 16, 2004