Movies & Sequential Shots - Poor Quality

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Phil Hampson, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. Phil Hampson

    Phil Hampson Guest

    I have had an Olympus D-400Zoom for 2 years and the still photos are
    excellent.

    However, I have recently tried it in Sequential-Shot and Movie Modes
    and the results are very disappointing.
    In Sequential-Shot Mode the picture quality is much inferior to
    Single-Shot Mode and even worse in Movie Mode ( .MOV files ) despite
    the very large file size - ca 5MB for a 15 sec movie. Downloaded
    movies I have compared my digicam movies with ( at the same 320x240
    Res. and 15 Frames/Sec ) produced good quality pictures for about 4MB
    per 1Min of movie.

    The problem with the digicam movies seems to lie with the colour
    definition. The colours in the Sequential-Shot Mode pictures and (
    more seriously ) in Movies are poor compared to Single-Shot Mode
    pictures. Picture area which should be fairly uniform in colour tend
    to be very 'blotchy' due to the pixels being much more variable in
    colour and also far removed from the right colour.

    I would appreciate comments, particularly from other Olympus users.

    I think the problem is a basic problem with the camera model &
    possibly with digicams in general but it could just be a fault with my
    camera.

    Phil
    Phil Hampson, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Phil Hampson

    Mark B. Guest

    If you want good video, get a digital camcorder. Conversely, I wouldn't
    expect to get good still images from a digital camcorder.

    Mark
    Mark B., Dec 3, 2003

  3. Phil Hampson

    Phil Hampson Guest

    Point taken but I would hope that the Sequential-Shot Mode, which
    permits continuous shooting at a rate of ca 1.3 picture per sec, would
    not suffer from the same problem as movies, albeit to a lesser
    efferct.

    Phil

    Phil Hampson, Dec 3, 2003