movies: night scenes with wet / dry pavement

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by T. Z., Oct 22, 2004.

  1. T. Z.

    T. Z. Guest

    Hi.

    I was watching a recent movie and noticed that the
    pavement was completely dry at a night scene.

    Have the advances in cameras and visual-effects made
    it
    unnecessary to wet the road for nocturnal
    film-shooting?

    I swear that in all pre-1990 films night-scenes had
    wet pavements looking like it'd just rained.

    Was this the same way with TV shoots?

    I don't understand why I can't find a good web page
    on this topic. Maybe someone can help me.

    http://messenger.yahoo.com
    T. Z., Oct 22, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    "T. Z." <Use-Author-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I was watching a recent movie and noticed that the
    > pavement was completely dry at a night scene.
    >
    > Have the advances in cameras and visual-effects made
    > it
    > unnecessary to wet the road for nocturnal
    > film-shooting?
    >
    > I swear that in all pre-1990 films night-scenes had
    > wet pavements looking like it'd just rained.
    >
    > Was this the same way with TV shoots?
    >

    > I don't understand why I can't find a good web page
    > on this topic. Maybe someone can help me.

    Wet pavement is less about reflecting light to illuminate stuff and
    mostly about just the look of wet pavement. Don't much care for it
    myself; it usually reads like the enormous muzzle flash on a handgun or
    the smoke that seemed to be EVERYWHERE in the 80s.

    --
    Life Continues, Despite
    Evidence to the Contrary

    Steven