MovieFactory 4 broken again

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Bob, Nov 13, 2005.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I have a small (4 minute) mpg clip from an uncopyrighted music video.
    It plays OK in WinDVD, and also plays fine after resizing it with
    VideoReDo.

    I import it into MF4. From the moment I click on the file name, MF4
    slows to a crawl - pins the CPU at 100% and grabs about 100MB of RAM.
    I checked MF4 with another import and it works just fine. It is this
    particular clip that causes it great stress.

    After several minutes the import is complete and the first frame shows
    up in the preview window on the right. But this first frame does not
    show up in the menu box at the bottom left.

    Then I invoke Enhanced Video so I can put Text title on the menu
    frame. The first frame disappears from the right-side preview window -
    all I have now is a blank window. So I put the title in the window
    anyway and click OK which once again takes MF4 a very long time to
    return to the previous dialog window.

    Then I Export the clip which renders it in advance for later use in
    final composition. After about 8 minutes it completes the rendering.
    But the exported clip is empty when I play it in WinDVD. Also it is
    greatly shrunk in size which I suppose explains why it appears empty.
    When I try to import it in VideoReDo it says it cannot open it.

    What the frell is going on here?

    --

    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!"
    --Ben Franklin

    Bob, Nov 13, 2005

  2. Bob

    Impmon Guest

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 13:56:21 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >What the frell is going on here?

    Movie Factory 4 is what's going on. Some reviews on this program
    contains a fair amount of negative complaint and a few choice words.

    Simply put, MF4 is a big resource hog, somewhat buggy, and not even
    worth buying at all.
    Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.

    Impmon, Nov 13, 2005

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 13:11:33 -0500, Impmon <> wrote:

    >Movie Factory 4 is what's going on. Some reviews on this program
    >contains a fair amount of negative complaint and a few choice words.

    I have been saying the same thing for months but the top-posting twits
    come along and try to discredit what I am saying.

    >Simply put, MF4 is a big resource hog, somewhat buggy

    Somewhat? LOL

    How does it manage to render some MPGs correctly, screw up the audio
    sync in others, and complete destroy the rest?

    I ran that MPG thru VideoReDo, which is supposed to fix MF4 problems,
    yet it did not help at all. Another buggy DVD application.

    >and not even worth buying at all.

    Then who are they selling their crap to other than top-posters?

    --

    BOYCOTT SONY!

    SONY IS TRYING TO TAKE OVER YOUR COMPUTER!

    HOMELAND SECURITY TOLD SONY TO CEASE AND DESIST!

    YOU DO THE SAME - BOYCOTT SONY!

    Bob, Nov 13, 2005
  4. Bob

    Mark Burns Guest

    Go to their website and submit your clip. They have been very good in
    the past at correcting things like this.

    BTW, what version are you using?

    I have seen this before with mpegs that I did not capture. I believe
    that it was a CBR mpeg, not a VBR.

    There are different issues with different mpegs from different capture
    sources. I have never seen a problem with my captures though.

    Cheers...

    Mark Burns, Nov 13, 2005
  5. Bob

    Mark Burns Guest

    Addendum...

    btw, You don't mention the version of VRD that you are using.

    There is an option in both VideoRedo Classic and VideoRedo Plus in the
    Tools section for Movie Factory output. Has that been checked?

    Cheers...

    Mark Burns, Nov 13, 2005
  6. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On 13 Nov 2005 11:03:10 -0800, "Mark Burns" <>
    wrote:

    >Go to their website and submit your clip. They have been very good in
    >the past at correcting things like this.

    I have tried that before. All I got was a fingerwagging about
    copyright infringement.

    I volunteered to become a beta test site. They did not even respond.

    >BTW, what version are you using?

    The latest. I got the patch from the website.

    >I have seen this before with mpegs that I did not capture. I believe
    >that it was a CBR mpeg, not a VBR.

    What does that mean? The original came from a DVD and the clip runs in
    WinDVD and VideoReDo.

    >There are different issues with different mpegs from different capture
    >sources.

    I tried capturing it with VideoReDo. It still screwed up in MF4.

    There is something in the mpg that causes MF4 to go into a blank stare
    - like a very large loop.

    > I have never seen a problem with my captures though.

    Neither have I, but there's always a first time for anything.

    Bob, Nov 13, 2005
  7. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On 13 Nov 2005 11:11:31 -0800, "Mark Burns" <>
    wrote:

    >btw, You don't mention the version of VRD that you are using.

    VRD Plus.

    >There is an option in both VideoRedo Classic and VideoRedo Plus in the
    >Tools section for Movie Factory output. Has that been checked?

    Of course it has been checked.

    Bob, Nov 13, 2005
  8. Bob

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Bob () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > On 13 Nov 2005 11:03:10 -0800, "Mark Burns" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Go to their website and submit your clip. They have been very good in
    > >the past at correcting things like this.

    > I have tried that before. All I got was a fingerwagging about
    > copyright infringement.

    Not from the VideoReDo people, you didn't, and that's where you should have
    sent your clip. They are great at figuring out what to have their app do
    so that other apps will be happy...usually, this means that VRD must emit
    non-compliant MPEG-2 for these special cases, but they are all controlled
    by options, so it's no big deal.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife, Nov 13, 2005
  9. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:09:31 -0500, Jeff Rife <> wrote:

    >> >Go to their website and submit your clip. They have been very good in
    >> >the past at correcting things like this.

    >> I have tried that before. All I got was a fingerwagging about
    >> copyright infringement.

    >Not from the VideoReDo people, you didn't, and that's where you should have
    >sent your clip. They are great at figuring out what to have their app do
    >so that other apps will be happy...usually, this means that VRD must emit
    >non-compliant MPEG-2 for these special cases, but they are all controlled
    >by options, so it's no big deal.

    I also offered to become a beta test site for VideoReDo, but the
    person who responded would not offer me a free copy of the application
    in return for my contributions. So I have this collection of bugs that
    he will not know about from me.

    So please spare be the bullshit about how "happy" they are to "help
    people". LOL.

    Bob, Nov 14, 2005
  10. Bob

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On 13 Nov 2005 11:11:31 -0800, "Mark Burns" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>btw, You don't mention the version of VRD that you are using.

    > VRD Plus.
    >
    >>There is an option in both VideoRedo Classic and VideoRedo Plus in the
    >>Tools section for Movie Factory output. Has that been checked?

    > Of course it has been checked.

    Have you tried "unchecking" it? The option was originally put
    in to address Movie Factory 2. Perhaps it is not needed for MF4.
    The help mentions that you can uncheck it on a case by case basis.

    This particular file seems to be especially hard to work with, right?
    Could you let us know what "Video Program Information" under
    the "Tools" tab in VideoReDo, says about that file? By the way
    what is shown on the "Select Stream" page?

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Nov 14, 2005
  11. Bob

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Bob () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > I also offered to become a beta test site for VideoReDo, but the
    > person who responded would not offer me a free copy of the application
    > in return for my contributions. So I have this collection of bugs that
    > he will not know about from me.

    They are *very* happy to help people. And, if you had given them some
    examples of real, reproducible bugs you had found, they might have *asked*
    you to become an alpha tester (the betas are actually available for anyone
    to download, use, and test).

    But, demanding a free copy when they have no clue if you really know
    anything at all about video isn't a good way to start a relationship.

    > So please spare be the bullshit about how "happy" they are to "help
    > people". LOL.

    They have quickly addressed many issues I have had with either outright
    bugs, unusual design choices, or just plain lack of features. Two beta
    versions ago there were many issues that made that version painful to
    use, while the latest clears those up. It introduced a couple of very
    minor cosmetic issues in the interface, which should be fixed by the next
    beta.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife, Nov 14, 2005
  12. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:55:03 -0500, Jeff Rife <> wrote:

    >But, demanding a free copy when they have no clue if you really know
    >anything at all about video isn't a good way to start a relationship.

    How do you know what I did?

    I have been a beta test site for such companies as IBM, Microsoft,
    Borland, Linksys, Artisoft, and many others. In every event the
    products I tested were provided free of charge. It was a great way to
    start a sustained viable relationship.

    >They have quickly addressed many issues I have had with either outright
    >bugs, unusual design choices, or just plain lack of features. Two beta
    >versions ago there were many issues that made that version painful to
    >use, while the latest clears those up. It introduced a couple of very
    >minor cosmetic issues in the interface, which should be fixed by the next
    >beta.

    You like working for free. I don't. The least they could have done is
    provide me with a free copy. The fact that didn't tells me they do not
    really take beta test sites seriously.

    Bob, Nov 14, 2005
  13. Bob

    Alpha Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:55:03 -0500, Jeff Rife <> wrote:
    >
    >>But, demanding a free copy when they have no clue if you really know
    >>anything at all about video isn't a good way to start a relationship.

    > How do you know what I did?

    True. You are a man of many words, little wisdom, and great bluster.

    > I have been a beta test site for such companies as IBM, Microsoft,
    > Borland, Linksys, Artisoft, and many others. In every event the
    > products I tested were provided free of charge. It was a great way to
    > start a sustained viable relationship.

    Doubtful. Probably fired.

    >>They have quickly addressed many issues I have had with either outright
    >>bugs, unusual design choices, or just plain lack of features. Two beta
    >>versions ago there were many issues that made that version painful to
    >>use, while the latest clears those up. It introduced a couple of very
    >>minor cosmetic issues in the interface, which should be fixed by the next
    >>beta.

    You are an arrogant and useless fool. Your commentary here is
    reprehensible, always stupid and self-serving.

    Alpha, Nov 14, 2005
  14. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:35:43 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote:

    > Have you tried "unchecking" it? The option was originally put
    >in to address Movie Factory 2. Perhaps it is not needed for MF4.
    >The help mentions that you can uncheck it on a case by case basis.

    I can try that, but the instructions on using VRD Plus claim I want
    that box checked.

    > This particular file seems to be especially hard to work with, right?

    There are two files involved. The first one is the MPG file that was
    imported from the DVD. It is one particular chapter.

    >Could you let us know what "Video Program Information" under
    >the "Tools" tab in VideoReDo, says about that file?

    There is a lot of information there and I cannot capture it as text to
    the clipboard. What specifically are you looking for?

    It says MPG2 encoding with 29.97 frames per second. Audio is AC3.

    What else do you want to know? If your above email address is valid, I
    can send you a screenshot via "www.yousendit.com". Just let me know.

    >By the way what is shown on the "Select Stream" page?

    MPEG Video Program, PID: xe0 > 1 -- AC-3, Lang: Unknown

    Bob, Nov 14, 2005
  15. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 01:38:21 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >You are an arrogant and useless fool. Your commentary here is
    >reprehensible, always stupid and self-serving.

    Then why do you read it.

    You have not made one contribution since you showed up here. All you
    do is troll.

    Bugger off, troll.

    Bob, Nov 14, 2005
  16. Bob

    Impmon Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:30:59 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >I have been a beta test site for such companies as IBM, Microsoft,
    >Borland, Linksys, Artisoft, and many others.

    Often time beta are available for free but usually are timed to expire
    after certain time.

    What you want is alpha. If you're as good at discovering bugs and
    issues, you should be able to get it but only if you don't pester the
    developers like flies to rancid meat.

    And no I don't do alpha testing, I've been one once long ago (AOL 4.0)
    and didn't like it at all. Regretfully the alpha version of AOL 4.0
    was a lot more stable than the final version :mad:
    Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.

    Impmon, Nov 14, 2005
  17. Bob

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Bob () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:55:03 -0500, Jeff Rife <> wrote:
    >
    > >But, demanding a free copy when they have no clue if you really know
    > >anything at all about video isn't a good way to start a relationship.

    > How do you know what I did?

    Uh, because you told us:

    |> I also offered to become a beta test site for VideoReDo, but the
    |> person who responded would not offer me a free copy of the application
    |> in return for my contributions. So I have this collection of bugs that
    |> he will not know about from me.

    So, basically, you tried to extort a free copy from them by saying you had
    bugs to report, but you won't let them know about the bugs unless you get
    that free copy.

    > You like working for free. I don't. The least they could have done is
    > provide me with a free copy. The fact that didn't tells me they do not
    > really take beta test sites seriously.

    Again, as I said, their betas are free for downloading for anyone. Their
    *alphas* are restricted to people who show they have some responsiblility
    and knowledge. People that have made good reports of beta bugs on their
    forums have been pulled into the alpha program. That seems entirely fair
    to me.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "In those days Mars was a dreary uninhabitable

    Jeff Rife, Nov 14, 2005
  18. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:53:06 -0500, Impmon <> wrote:

    >>I have been a beta test site for such companies as IBM, Microsoft,
    >>Borland, Linksys, Artisoft, and many others.

    >Often time beta are available for free but usually are timed to expire
    >after certain time.

    I never had any time limit imposed on me by the vendors. The reason
    for ending the arrangement was always my no longer using the product
    on a daily basis.

    >What you want is alpha.

    No thanks. I was a developer and were were our own alpha test. I am
    retired now and want no part of it.

    My thinking now is the same as it was before. I am good at spotting
    bugs and sometimes coming up with some simple tests to confirm my
    suspicions as to what is causing the bugs which developers find
    helpful. I am also good at reporting bugs because I am a developer
    myself.

    So I am using a product regularly and come up with bugs and try
    workarounds, etc. Why not share what I know with the developers, even
    if they already know about it (which most of the time they do not). In
    return I am offered free use of the program. If I am beneficial in a
    way that saves the company money, they make out better than if I did
    not buy the product at all.

    Every vendor has given me free software. When one doesn't, I smell a
    rat.

    Bob, Nov 14, 2005
  19. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:18:01 -0500, Jeff Rife <> wrote:

    >So, basically, you tried to extort a free copy from them

    There is no extortion involved. I was trying to become a beta tester -
    nothing more, nothing less. No other vendor I have ever approached who
    has replied has been like this,

    >but you won't let them know about the bugs unless you get
    >that free copy.

    I cannot work with someone who is unwilling to meet me half way.

    >Again, as I said, their betas are free for downloading for anyone.

    But you have to have bought the original in order to get the betas.

    Bob, Nov 14, 2005
  20. Bob

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Bob () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > >Again, as I said, their betas are free for downloading for anyone.

    > But you have to have bought the original in order to get the betas.

    Not true at all. You can download a copy for free, and then get a 30-day
    registration key. This gives you 100% of all features for 30 days,
    including the ability to use the registration key on betas. If you can't
    find serious bugs in 30 days, and the product does what you want, then I
    don't see any problem with being forced to pay money to continue using it.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "Grab a shovel...I'm only one skull

    Jeff Rife, Nov 14, 2005