    would catch on, but don't understand paying $10.00 to download a movie.

    --
    altcollect Yahoo Group - DVD Traders

    altcollect, Jan 1, 2007

  2. altcollect wrote:

    > Is anyone purchasing movie downloads from sites like Amazon?

    Amazon?--Didn't realize anyone actually WAS. :/

    (<looks around: "Uh, guys?...Any disagreement here?">)

    > I understand why selecting and downloading favorite music tracks (mp3)
    > would catch on, but don't understand paying $10.00 to download a movie

    If it's Apple Store, you get to keep it on your iPod without ripping it.
    That's it.

    (Then there're those who say it's "going to replace DVD someday", and
    THEY don't understand it.)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jan 1, 2007

  3. altcollect

    dgates Guest

    On 1 Jan 2007 15:24:36 -0800, "altcollect" <>
    wrote:

    >Is anyone purchasing movie downloads from sites like Amazon?
    >I understand why selecting and downloading favorite music tracks (mp3)
    >would catch on, but don't understand paying $10.00 to download a movie.

    If downloading were (a LOT) faster, and if my home were configured
    correctly so that my computer could output to the big family room TV,
    I could certainly see paying a little more than the price of a video
    store rental to download a DVD quality movie to watch.

    Something tells me the technology's not there yet, so Amazon must be
    offering something else, eh?

    dgates, Jan 1, 2007
  4. dgates wrote:

    > On 1 Jan 2007 15:24:36 -0800, "altcollect" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Is anyone purchasing movie downloads from sites like Amazon?
    >>I understand why selecting and downloading favorite music tracks (mp3)
    >>would catch on, but don't understand paying $10.00 to download a movie.

    > If downloading were (a LOT) faster, and if my home were configured
    > correctly so that my computer could output to the big family room TV,
    > I could certainly see paying a little more than the price of a video
    > store rental to download a DVD quality movie to watch.
    >
    > Something tells me the technology's not there yet, so Amazon must be
    > offering something else, eh?

    I think in one sense, we could answer that question a "yes", but not as
    a compliment:
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/18/technology/lewis_unbox.fortune/index.htm

    Point is, Amazon's download service only exists because:
    A) they wanted the chutzpah of announcing it literally a day before Apple's,
    B) they wanted to grab deals with every other studio early, and leave
    Steve with nothing but his own Disney/Pixar/Miramax to sell,
    C) they tried to kiss up to the other studios ("C'mon, you don't wanna
    play in the snooty rich kid's yard!") by letting them charge any
    unreasonably exorbitant fees they liked, unlike Steve's "communist"
    $9.99 flat-prices, which they'd been publicly complaining about, and
    D) since Amazon wasn't in the hardware business, they didn't really know
    how all this "download" stuff worked--They just figured, we'd, like,
    want a movie on our computer, 'n stuff, so we wouldn't have to leave the
    house.

    (Meanwhile, Jobs/Apple is still a month away from announcing that iTV
    wireless living-room interface box for the Apple Store downloads, even
    though we're all pretty much just doing it for our portable iPods, which
    Amazon can't handle.)

    Derek Janssen (IOW, it's Wal-Mart v. Netflix all over again)

    Derek Janssen, Jan 2, 2007