Movie companies get with digital revolution?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Robin, Jan 11, 2005.

  1. Robin

    Robin Guest

    When will the movie companies finally get wise and remember
    the old axiom "give the customer what they want and they
    will buy?"

    It's movie night and you have several friends over. You
    gotta decide what to watch so you

    a. Have all of your friends walk over to you DVD shelf and
    browse your collection.

    b. Leave everyone sitting on the couch eating popcorn, as
    you browse your collection onscreen.

    The technology has been in place for years, and now that you
    have PC's that are capable of HD video out to your TV, and
    digital audio to your HT (or a nice set of Klipsch 5.1 PC
    speakers that put $1,000 HT's to shame); why not store our
    movies on our PC's? Why not sell DVD quality digital files
    that we can legally store on our PC's? I for one would
    probably pay a few extra dollars a movie just for the
    convenience of not having to rip my DVD's to my hard drive,
    and then convert them into a file type that can be easily
    transmitted over my home network. Whatever happened to the
    concept of "fair use" and being able to use my property in
    the manner that is most convenient for me?

    Robin, Jan 11, 2005

  2. >When will the movie companies finally get wise and remember
    >the old axiom "give the customer what they want and they
    >will buy?"

    When the industry "themselves" feel confident that the technology won't give
    customers what they feel is the capability to devalue their product.

    Of course, current anti-piracy measures only serve to negatively affect the end
    user and are usually easily circumvented by pirates. But, the suits in the
    industry don't think that way.

    >The technology has been in place for years, and now that you
    >have PC's that are capable of HD video out to your TV, and
    >digital audio to your HT (or a nice set of Klipsch 5.1 PC
    >speakers that put $1,000 HT's to shame); why not store our
    >movies on our PC's?

    Why?

    I don't want my computer to be the heart of my home theatre rig. It's kind of
    like broadband telephones: if you lose your broadband connection then your
    phone system goes out. If your HT computer crashes, no movies!

    I'd rather have a system that isn't so closely tied as to be dependent on a
    single component which is prone to outside attacks through the broadband or
    phoneline connection. Of course, hackers and viruses may not be as much of a
    problem on a PowerMac as it would be on a Windows machine, but any computer can
    fail due to hardware failure such as a hard drive crash.

    Besides, as good as a great sound setup on a computer is, that still won't
    compare to something like my STR-DA4ES or someone else's pre-amp/outboard amp
    setup like a Lexicon/Krell pairing with Magnepans. (I'm sure someone has such
    a setup here, although it may not be exact.)

    Also, I still want to play my CDs, cassettes, and LPs through my system if I
    want to listen to music and not movie soundtracks. It's kind of hard to do
    that with a computer setup while also trying to minimize RF interaction with
    the sound, especially from a turntable as the output from the pickup has to be
    preamplified to line level before it can be used, which makes the output before
    the preamp vulnerable to interference from the computer. Also, a computer
    CD-ROM drive, even with the D/A conversion handled by the sound card or a
    multimedia application, may still fall short of a decent dedicated CD player
    for just playing redbook audio, like my CDP-X229ES.

    >Why not sell DVD quality digital files
    >that we can legally store on our PC's?

    What if your computer crashes? Granted, there are solutions to back up your
    system in case of a failure, but why go through the additional trouble of
    backing up several gigs of movies in addition to the rest of the hard disk? -
    Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 11, 2005

  3. Robin

    Robin Guest

    "LASERandDVDfan" <> wrote in message
    > >When will the movie companies finally get wise and

    remember
    > >the old axiom "give the customer what they want and they
    > >will buy?"

    > When the industry "themselves" feel confident that the

    technology won't give
    > customers what they feel is the capability to devalue

    their product.

    That's never going to happen. There will always be reverse
    engineerng and pirates. They are just screwing themselves
    out of income, while trying to prevent the inevitable.

    > Of course, current anti-piracy measures only serve to

    negatively affect the end
    > user and are usually easily circumvented by pirates. But,

    the suits in the
    > industry don't think that way.
    >
    > >The technology has been in place for years, and now that

    you
    > >have PC's that are capable of HD video out to your TV,

    and
    > >digital audio to your HT (or a nice set of Klipsch 5.1 PC
    > >speakers that put $1,000 HT's to shame); why not store

    our
    > >movies on our PC's?

    > Why?

    Because it is very convenient. When it comes to browsing
    your movie collection, there is nothing better than sitting
    on your couch and using your remote to do it.

    > I don't want my computer to be the heart of my home

    theatre rig. It's kind of
    > like broadband telephones: if you lose your broadband

    connection then your
    > phone system goes out. If your HT computer crashes, no

    movies!

    > I'd rather have a system that isn't so closely tied as to

    be dependent on a
    > single component which is prone to outside attacks through

    the broadband or
    > phoneline connection. Of course, hackers and viruses may

    not be as much of a
    > problem on a PowerMac as it would be on a Windows machine,

    but any computer can
    > fail due to hardware failure such as a hard drive crash.

    If someone was that paranoid about viruses, they could keep
    their media PC off of the net. Also, any decent external
    hard drive comes with software to automatically back up your
    new files.

    > Besides, as good as a great sound setup on a computer is,

    that still won't
    > compare to something like my STR-DA4ES or someone else's

    pre-amp/outboard amp
    > setup like a Lexicon/Krell pairing with Magnepans. (I'm

    sure someone has such
    > a setup here, although it may not be exact.)

    Maybe not, but for my small home theater, a Klipsch 5.1 PC
    speaker sounds fantastic. I'm sure I'm not the only
    consumer who would agree.

    > Also, I still want to play my CDs, cassettes, and LPs

    through my system if I
    > want to listen to music and not movie soundtracks. It's

    kind of hard to do
    > that with a computer setup while also trying to minimize

    RF interaction with
    > the sound, especially from a turntable as the output from

    the pickup has to be
    > preamplified to line level before it can be used, which

    makes the output before
    > the preamp vulnerable to interference from the computer.

    Also, a computer
    > CD-ROM drive, even with the D/A conversion handled by the

    sound card or a
    > multimedia application, may still fall short of a decent

    dedicated CD player
    > for just playing redbook audio, like my CDP-X229ES.

    That's your preference. I'd like to be able to use my PC.

    > >Why not sell DVD quality digital files
    > >that we can legally store on our PC's?

    > What if your computer crashes? Granted, there are

    solutions to back up your
    > system in case of a failure, but why go through the

    additional trouble of
    > backing up several gigs of movies in addition to the rest

    of the hard disk? -
    > Reinhart

    Because my preference is different from yours. Not better
    or worse. If the movie companies want to boost their
    profits, they need to learn to make both of us happy.

    Robin, Jan 12, 2005
  4. >> When the industry "themselves" feel confident that the
    >technology won't give
    >> customers what they feel is the capability to devalue

    >their product.
    >>

    >That's never going to happen. There will always be reverse
    >engineerng and pirates. They are just screwing themselves
    >out of income, while trying to prevent the inevitable.

    Of course, that's never going to happen. I'm just saying that's what the suits
    want.

    Wanting it to happen, and actually happening are two different things.

    >Because it is very convenient. When it comes to browsing
    >your movie collection, there is nothing better than sitting
    >on your couch and using your remote to do it.

    Sometimes, the convenience factor comes with a price. Namely, drawbacks.

    >If someone was that paranoid about viruses, they could keep
    >their media PC off of the net. Also, any decent external
    >hard drive comes with software to automatically back up your
    >new files.

    Then you'd have to go through the trouble of connecting it back up to download
    new movies.

    Plus, backing up large files takes a long time and you must have storage
    capability that can support the amount of data you have onboard. (And, if I
    were going to go the backup route, I'd try a RAID 1 with an external drive as
    extra insurance.)

    >Maybe not, but for my small home theater, a Klipsch 5.1 PC
    >speaker sounds fantastic. I'm sure I'm not the only
    >consumer who would agree.

    Well for this case, as you've said before, that's preferences.

    >That's your preference. I'd like to be able to use my PC.

    There are many more uses for a PC than merely entertainment.

    I use mine for leisure, I admit, but I also use it for work, some of it RAM and
    processor intensive.

    >Because my preference is different from yours. Not better
    >or worse. If the movie companies want to boost their
    >profits, they need to learn to make both of us happy.

    True.

    Although, here's the reasoning for my preference.

    In IT, there's a saying that you should never rely on your computer for too
    many things as it will let you down sooner or later. That's the reason why
    good maintenance, "common sense" use practices (like not downloading files
    offered for free from a questionable source), and backup contingencies are
    important (but largely ignored by the general computing public). Computers can
    fail for a variety of reasons, many preventable but also from a good number of
    causes that can be out of your control.

    A regular home theatre setup, while less convenient than an HT-PC, is more
    reliable because it is, by operation, nowhere near as complex or dependent on a
    variety of so many factors to work. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Feb 3, 2005