Moved web server to another network, can't test self ow

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by zero, Aug 21, 2007.

  1. zero

    zero Guest

    Windows XP With Apache V2
    3 virtual domains been working for years on Time Warner Cable.
    Router is older Linksys BEFSR81
    Port 80 Forwarding to fixed IP 192.161.1.51.

    Moved to another house with Time Warner Cable and a newer Linksys router WRT554AG Wireless.

    Set up DNS to point to new IP address.

    Set up Port forwarding and checked that server is correctly serving pages by using a remote PC in another city. All is
    working well.

    What's different?
    The old location, http://domain_name works fine from the server on which the domain runs.

    The new location, http://domain_name opens window for Linksys Login. I can't seem to avoid the LinkSys login... unless
    I add entry to HOSTS file 127.0.0.1 domain_name.

    How do I fix this?

    Zero

    zero, Aug 21, 2007

  2. Make sure something isn't using the wrong DNS Server after the move.
    Having to over-ride with a Host file is a hint that it is a DNS problem.

    I don't really understand all that you are doing, so I am going to have to
    guess a little.....

    If there is only one machine involved and the Site is on that
    machine,...then when you access that Site from the machine itself the Name
    should always resolve to the actual IP# of the machine itself and not the
    Linksys external IP#, and not 127.0.0.1.
    Since you would not be running your own internal DNS Server (this is XP
    after all), the best approach is to add an entry to the Hosts file of:

    <actual machine IP#> <site FQDN>

    Remember that you accessing your Site from the inside of the LAN has no
    relationship to the public accessing it from outside the LAN. They will be
    using the Public IP# and you will be using the internal LAN IP# of the
    machine itself,...that is the way it is supposed to be. So make sure that
    the <site FQDN> resolves to the correct IP# according to the situation.

    If you have multiple machines on your LAN (and still no local DNS) then you
    will have to repeat the Host file entry on every machine.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
    http://www.isaserver.org/articles/ISA2004_AccessRules.html

    Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/1/8/918ed2d3-71d0-40ed-8e6d-fd6eeb6cfa07/ts_rules.doc

    Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/default.asp

    Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutions
    http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/edgesecurity/partners/hardwarepartners.mspx

    Phillip Windell, Aug 21, 2007

  3. zero

    smlunatick Guest

    On Aug 21, 10:21 am, "Phillip Windell" <>
    wrote:
    > Make sure something isn't using the wrong DNS Server after the move.
    > Having to over-ride with a Host file is a hint that it is a DNS problem.
    >
    > I don't really understand all that you are doing, so I am going to have to
    > guess a little.....
    >
    > If there is only one machine involved and the Site is on that
    > machine,...then when you access that Site from the machine itself the Name
    > should always resolve to the actual IP# of the machine itself and not the
    > Linksys external IP#, and not 127.0.0.1.
    > Since you would not be running your own internal DNS Server (this is XP
    > after all), the best approach is to add an entry to the Hosts file of:
    >
    > <actual machine IP#> <site FQDN>
    >
    > Remember that you accessing your Site from the inside of the LAN has no
    > relationship to the public accessing it from outside the LAN. They will be
    > using the Public IP# and you will be using the internal LAN IP# of the
    > machine itself,...that is the way it is supposed to be. So make sure that
    > the <site FQDN> resolves to the correct IP# according to the situation.
    >
    > If you have multiple machines on your LAN (and still no local DNS) then you
    > will have to repeat the Host file entry on every machine.
    >
    > --
    > Phillip Windellwww.wandtv.com
    >
    > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
    > Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processinghttp://www.isaserver.org/articles/ISA2004_AccessRules.html
    >
    > Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/1/8/918ed2d3-71d0-40ed-8e6d-...
    >
    > Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partnershttp://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/default.asp
    >
    > Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutionshttp://www.microsoft.com/forefront/edgesecurity/partners/hardwarepart...
    >
    > "zero" <> wrote in message

    > > Windows XP With Apache V2
    > > 3 virtual domains been working for years on Time Warner Cable.
    > > Router is older Linksys BEFSR81
    > > Port 80 Forwarding to fixed IP 192.161.1.51.

    > > Moved to another house with Time Warner Cable and a newer Linksys router
    > > WRT554AG Wireless.

    > > Set up DNS to point to new IP address.

    > > Set up Port forwarding and checked that server is correctly serving pages
    > > by using a remote PC in another city. All is working well.

    > > What's different?
    > > The old location,http://domain_nameworks fine from the server on which
    > > the domain runs.

    > > The new location,http://domain_nameopens window for Linksys Login. I
    > > can't seem to avoid the LinkSys login... unless I add entry to HOSTS file
    > > 127.0.0.1 domain_name.

    > > How do I fix this?

    > > Zero- Hide quoted text -

    Make sure that the Linksys router WRT554AG is not set to allow "remote
    management" the its configuration on port 80. You should have this
    set yto a different poirt (like 8080.)

    smlunatick, Aug 22, 2007
  4. "smlunatick" <> wrote in message
    > Make sure that the Linksys router WRT554AG is not set to allow "remote
    > management" the its configuration on port 80. You should have this
    > set yto a different poirt (like 8080.)

    Yes, good point. That should be turned off.
    But changing the port number means nothing, a hacker doesn't sit at the
    keyboard and peck out an attack like that manually, and 8080 would always be
    the second port they would try anyway. They would use a Scanner that would
    look at all 65,000+ ports in a matter of seconds and find where ever you put
    the web interface,..might as well leave it on 80 and forget it.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Aug 22, 2007