    USB drive , completely, including the Win. XP. Pro operating system.
    Will i have trouble installing and activating this without having to buy a
    new operating system.

    Andy Petro, Jan 16, 2006

  2. Andy Petro

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:z4Ryf.10005$,
    Andy Petro spewed forth:
    > I plan to get a new faster computer. I would like to back-up my
    > existing C drive " GHOST " unto another external
    > USB drive , completely, including the Win. XP. Pro operating system.
    > Will i have trouble installing and activating this without having to
    > buy a new operating system.

    Depends on the current computer license. If you have an OEM license, you
    must buy XP for the new computer (OEM license is non-transferable - belongs
    to the original PC). If you have a retail or upgrade version of XP, you can
    use it on the new PC if you remove it from the first.

    But it most likely won't run.

    You'd be better off getting the new computer WITH XP on it, and connect the
    two computers and run the Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard (or
    manually transfer what you want to keep.)

    --
    Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
    probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 16, 2006