    in explorer, so I would like to know if there is a switch or command I can add
    inline to force a non-overwrite condition?
    TIA

    Brian H¹©, Aug 17, 2003

  2. In article <51C%a.13368$>,
    says...
    > Win2000
    > Usng a batch file to move files I have noticed, that without using any switches,
    > duplicate file names are being overwritten instead of being skipped. It wouldn't
    > be a problem if the files were exact duplicates, but when they are different in
    > some way, it's damned annoying.
    > I don't wish to have to use the /-y switch, otherwise I might just as well do it
    > in explorer, so I would like to know if there is a switch or command I can add
    > inline to force a non-overwrite condition?
    > TIA

    Ok, just go to the command prompt and type xcopy /h and see if there is
    anything there to help.

    NOTE: In WinXP you can scroll the command window, previous versions type
    xcopy /h >>atestfile.txt

    Then you can load the atestfile.txt into a text editor to read.

    Michael Thompson, Aug 17, 2003

  3. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Michael Thompson said:

    > In article <51C%a.13368$>,
    > says...
    >> Win2000
    >> Usng a batch file to move files I have noticed, that without using any
    >> switches, duplicate file names are being overwritten instead of being
    >> skipped. It wouldn't be a problem if the files were exact duplicates, but
    >> when they are different in some way, it's damned annoying.
    >> I don't wish to have to use the /-y switch, otherwise I might just as well
    >> do it in explorer, so I would like to know if there is a switch or command I
    >> can add inline to force a non-overwrite condition?
    >> TIA
    >>

    > Ok, just go to the command prompt and type xcopy /h and see if there is
    > anything there to help.
    >
    > NOTE: In WinXP you can scroll the command window, previous versions type
    > xcopy /h >>atestfile.txt
    >
    > Then you can load the atestfile.txt into a text editor to read.

    Thanks, but I don't want to copy, I'm using the move command.

    Brian H¹©, Aug 17, 2003
  4. Brian H¹©

    Liz Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/k9ao

    Liz, Aug 17, 2003
  5. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Liz said:

    > http://tinyurl.com/k9ao
    >
    > "Brian H¹©" wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks, but I don't want to copy, I'm using the move command.

    Thanks Liz, as this is for *.* usage when moving to a single folder, would you
    know of a way of being able to incorporate with the following too?
    move *ford*.jpg x:\ford\
    move *rolls*.jpg "x:\rolls royce\"
    move *.txt x:\textfiles\
    move *.gif x:\gifs\

    The method in your link would just handle everything in the first move.
    TIA

    Brian H¹©, Aug 17, 2003
  6. Brian H¹©

    Bri. Guest

    Brian H¹© typed...
    > Liz said:
    >
    >> http://tinyurl.com/k9ao
    >>
    >> "Brian H¹©" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, but I don't want to copy, I'm using the move command.

    > Thanks Liz, as this is for *.* usage when moving to a single folder,
    > would you know of a way of being able to incorporate with the
    > following too?
    > move *ford*.jpg x:\ford\
    > move *rolls*.jpg "x:\rolls royce\"
    > move *.txt x:\textfiles\
    > move *.gif x:\gifs\
    >
    > The method in your link would just handle everything in the first
    > move.
    > TIA

    Brian,
    This is a segment of a *very* old batch file, (before the 'Move'
    command) that might just be alterable to suit your requirements.

    Echo Moving decoded files into C:\Radio\Seven\Decoded
    for %%F in (*.arj *.doc *.gif *.zip *.txt *.exe *.ico *.com *.lzh *.err
    *.inf) do copy %%F \Radio\Seven\Decoded
    Echo Deleting surplus decoded files in C:\Radio\Seven\Captured
    for %%F in (*.arj *.doc *.gif *.zip *.txt *.exe *.ico *.com *.lzh *.err
    *.inf) do del %%F
    Del \Radio\Seven\Files.All

    But, please don't ask me to explain it now. ;-)
    --
    Might just be of interest..

    Bri., Aug 17, 2003
  7. Brian H¹©

    Bri. Guest

    It's line wrapped of course :-(

    Bri., Aug 17, 2003
  8. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Bri. said:

    > Brian H¹© typed...
    >> Liz said:
    >>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/k9ao

    >> Thanks Liz, as this is for *.* usage when moving to a single folder,
    >> would you know of a way of being able to incorporate with the
    >> following too?
    >> move *ford*.jpg x:\ford\
    >> move *rolls*.jpg "x:\rolls royce\"
    >> move *.txt x:\textfiles\
    >> move *.gif x:\gifs\
    >>
    >> The method in your link would just handle everything in the first
    >> move.
    >> TIA

    > Brian,
    > This is a segment of a *very* old batch file, (before the 'Move'
    > command) that might just be alterable to suit your requirements.

    > Echo Moving decoded files into C:\Radio\Seven\Decoded
    > for %%F in (*.arj *.doc *.gif *.zip *.txt *.exe *.ico *.com *.lzh *.err
    > *.inf) do copy %%F \Radio\Seven\Decoded
    > Echo Deleting surplus decoded files in C:\Radio\Seven\Captured
    > for %%F in (*.arj *.doc *.gif *.zip *.txt *.exe *.ico *.com *.lzh *.err
    > *.inf) do del %%F
    > Del \Radio\Seven\Files.All
    >
    > But, please don't ask me to explain it now. ;-)

    Again, this is for use when moving everything to a single folder, plus the
    second part deletes the files that weren't moved.
    If all the files are exactly identical, the move wouldn't be a problem.
    The use of /y is normally required in a batch file to override messages and
    permit an overwrite, without this switch the duplicate file names are *supposed*
    to get skipped, this is not happening.
    I don't want to overwrite a file that has a same name but where the content is
    different, if I see files left over after the move, I can go to them and append
    with (1) or (2) etc and be able to move them when the batch files next runs.
    Liz's link was a good example, but as everything would be moved at the first
    line due to the use of *.* none of the following lines would find anything to
    move.

    Brian H¹©, Aug 17, 2003
  9. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Liz said:

    > "Brian H¹©" wrote:
    >> Liz said:
    >>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/k9ao

    >> Thanks Liz, as this is for *.* usage when moving to a single folder, would
    >> you know of a way of being able to incorporate with the following too?
    >> move *ford*.jpg x:\ford\
    >> move *rolls*.jpg "x:\rolls royce\"
    >> move *.txt x:\textfiles\
    >> move *.gif x:\gifs\
    >>
    >> The method in your link would just handle everything in the first move.

    > No, Brian. I don't know how to make batch file commands.

    OK, thanks.

    > I am still in the first stage of the experiment. Have you tried posting
    > your question in NT groups?

    Will do ;-)

    Brian H¹©, Aug 17, 2003
  10. Brian H¹©

    Bri. Guest

    Brian H¹© typed...

    [snip]

    > Again, this is for use when moving everything to a single folder,
    > plus the second part deletes the files that weren't moved.
    > If all the files are exactly identical, the move wouldn't be a
    > problem.
    > The use of /y is normally required in a batch file to override
    > messages and permit an overwrite, without this switch the duplicate
    > file names are *supposed* to get skipped, this is not happening.
    > I don't want to overwrite a file that has a same name but where the
    > content is different, if I see files left over after the move, I can
    > go to them and append with (1) or (2) etc and be able to move them
    > when the batch files next runs. Liz's link was a good example, but as
    > everything would be moved at the first line due to the use of *.*
    > none of the following lines would find anything to move.

    Just a question..
    Could you not test for the file first, with 'IF EXIST'?

    Secondly, couldn't you run separate 'FOR DO' loops, to move each type of
    file to its correct folder?

    --
    Bri.

    Bri., Aug 17, 2003
  11. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Bri. said:

    > Brian H¹© typed...
    >>

    > [snip]
    >

    >> Again, this is for use when moving everything to a single folder,
    >> plus the second part deletes the files that weren't moved.
    >> If all the files are exactly identical, the move wouldn't be a
    >> problem.
    >> The use of /y is normally required in a batch file to override
    >> messages and permit an overwrite, without this switch the duplicate
    >> file names are *supposed* to get skipped, this is not happening.
    >> I don't want to overwrite a file that has a same name but where the
    >> content is different, if I see files left over after the move, I can
    >> go to them and append with (1) or (2) etc and be able to move them
    >> when the batch files next runs. Liz's link was a good example, but as
    >> everything would be moved at the first line due to the use of *.*
    >> none of the following lines would find anything to move.

    > Just a question..
    > Could you not test for the file first, with 'IF EXIST'?

    If I was going to use the full file name in the move, yes.
    As I'm using *ford*.jpg as a condition, it will overwrite the first file it
    finds in the folder that contains the word ford.

    > Secondly, couldn't you run separate 'FOR DO' loops, to move each type of
    > file to its correct folder?

    The problem still remains, if a duplicate file is found, it will get overwritten
    as the default of skipping when a duplicate is found is not working.
    You are supposed to add the switch /y to the move command for it to go ahead and
    overwrite a duplicate, or /-y to get a prompt to ask what to do, with no
    switches the default is supposed to be do nothing and go to the next file.

    Brian H¹©, Aug 17, 2003
  12. Brian H¹©

    Patrick Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:
    > Bri. said:
    >
    >> Brian H¹© typed...
    >>>

    >> [snip]
    >>

    >>> Again, this is for use when moving everything to a single folder,
    >>> plus the second part deletes the files that weren't moved.
    >>> If all the files are exactly identical, the move wouldn't be a
    >>> problem.
    >>> The use of /y is normally required in a batch file to override
    >>> messages and permit an overwrite, without this switch the duplicate
    >>> file names are *supposed* to get skipped, this is not happening.
    >>> I don't want to overwrite a file that has a same name but where the
    >>> content is different, if I see files left over after the move, I can
    >>> go to them and append with (1) or (2) etc and be able to move them
    >>> when the batch files next runs. Liz's link was a good example, but
    >>> as everything would be moved at the first line due to the use of *.*
    >>> none of the following lines would find anything to move.

    >> Just a question..
    >> Could you not test for the file first, with 'IF EXIST'?

    > If I was going to use the full file name in the move, yes.
    > As I'm using *ford*.jpg as a condition, it will overwrite the first
    > file it finds in the folder that contains the word ford.
    >

    >> Secondly, couldn't you run separate 'FOR DO' loops, to move each
    >> type of file to its correct folder?

    > The problem still remains, if a duplicate file is found, it will get
    > overwritten as the default of skipping when a duplicate is found is
    > not working.
    > You are supposed to add the switch /y to the move command for it to
    > go ahead and overwrite a duplicate, or /-y to get a prompt to ask
    > what to do, with no switches the default is supposed to be do nothing
    > and go to the next file.

    I,m a know-nothing but you have persistently stated that the default should
    be bla bla, yet below indicates that it can be changed by another thing.
    Sorry if I,m speaking out of turn.
    I've XP Home, and what it says at the bottom for MOVE /? is:

    /Y Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to
    overwrite an existing destination file.
    /-Y Causes prompting to confirm you want to overwrite
    an existing destination file.

    The switch /Y may be present in the COPYCMD environment variable.
    This may be overridden with /-Y on the command line. Default is
    to prompt on overwrites unless MOVE command is being executed from
    within a batch script.

    Patrick, Aug 17, 2003
  13. Brian H¹©

    Liz Guest

    "Brian H¹©" wrote:
    > Liz said:
    > > I am still in the first stage of the experiment. Have you tried posting
    > > your question in NT groups?

    > Will do ;-)

    The above ng has very little traffic, the OP "Pegasus (MVP)"
    from my earlier link still post there, though I don't see anything from
    him since 8/15, so he probably off for the weekend. :)

    Liz, Aug 17, 2003
  14. Brian H¹©

    Patrick Guest

    Patrick wrote:

    > I,m a know-nothing but you have persistently stated that the default
    > should be bla bla, yet below indicates that it can be changed by
    > another thing. Sorry if I,m speaking out of turn.
    > I've XP Home, and what it says at the bottom for MOVE /? is:
    >
    > /Y Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to
    > overwrite an existing destination file.
    > /-Y Causes prompting to confirm you want to
    > overwrite an existing destination file.
    >
    > The switch /Y may be present in the COPYCMD environment variable.
    > This may be overridden with /-Y on the command line. Default is
    > to prompt on overwrites unless MOVE command is being executed from
    > within a batch script.

    Sorry, just read it myself and not so sure ('unless' word), sorry to have
    bothered you I suppose.

    Patrick, Aug 17, 2003
  15. Brian H¹©

    Bri. Guest

    Patrick typed...
    > Patrick wrote:
    >>
    >> I,m a know-nothing but you have persistently stated that the default
    >> should be bla bla, yet below indicates that it can be changed by
    >> another thing. Sorry if I,m speaking out of turn.
    >> I've XP Home, and what it says at the bottom for MOVE /? is:
    >>
    >> /Y Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to
    >> overwrite an existing destination file.
    >> /-Y Causes prompting to confirm you want to
    >> overwrite an existing destination file.
    >>
    >> The switch /Y may be present in the COPYCMD environment variable.
    >> This may be overridden with /-Y on the command line. Default is
    >> to prompt on overwrites unless MOVE command is being executed from
    >> within a batch script.

    > Sorry, just read it myself and not so sure ('unless' word), sorry to
    > have bothered you I suppose.

    Brian is correct, the default is to prompt on overwrites unless MOVE
    command is being executed from within a batch script.

    Just read this myself ...
    http://math.ucsd.edu/~driver/driver/Computer_help/Allhelp/AllHelp.htm#MOVE

    --
    Bri.

    Bri., Aug 17, 2003
  16. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Bri. said:

    > Patrick typed...
    >> Patrick wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I,m a know-nothing but you have persistently stated that the default
    >>> should be bla bla, yet below indicates that it can be changed by
    >>> another thing. Sorry if I,m speaking out of turn.
    >>> I've XP Home, and what it says at the bottom for MOVE /? is:
    >>>
    >>> /Y Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to
    >>> overwrite an existing destination file.
    >>> /-Y Causes prompting to confirm you want to
    >>> overwrite an existing destination file.
    >>>
    >>> The switch /Y may be present in the COPYCMD environment variable.
    >>> This may be overridden with /-Y on the command line. Default is
    >>> to prompt on overwrites unless MOVE command is being executed from
    >>> within a batch script.

    >> Sorry, just read it myself and not so sure ('unless' word), sorry to
    >> have bothered you I suppose.

    > Brian is correct, the default is to prompt on overwrites unless MOVE
    > command is being executed from within a batch script.
    >
    > Just read this myself ...
    > http://math.ucsd.edu/~driver/driver/Computer_help/Allhelp/AllHelp.htm#MOVE

    Thanks Microshaft, I have to double my workload.
    I have had to run a batch file to change the attributes of all files in the
    destination folder to read only, then prior to running the batch file to move
    everything, I have to run a batch file to change the attributes of the files to
    be moved to read only so that the move skips a duplicate.

    Brian H¹©, Aug 17, 2003
  17. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹© said:

    > Bri. said:
    >
    >> Patrick typed...

    >>> Sorry, just read it myself and not so sure ('unless' word), sorry to
    >>> have bothered you I suppose.

    >> Brian is correct, the default is to prompt on overwrites unless MOVE
    >> command is being executed from within a batch script.
    >>
    >> Just read this myself ...
    >> http://math.ucsd.edu/~driver/driver/Computer_help/Allhelp/AllHelp.htm#MOVE

    > Thanks Microshaft, I have to double my workload.
    > I have had to run a batch file to change the attributes of all files in the
    > destination folder to read only, then prior to running the batch file to move
    > everything, I have to run a batch file to change the attributes of the files
    > to be moved to read only so that the move skips a duplicate.

    Slightly mis-phrased, the fact that the destination files are read only they are
    skipped, not because I have changed the attributes of the files to be moved.
    I have to change the files to be moved before moving them so that I don't have a
    bigger workload to change the attributes after the move completes.

    Brian H¹©, Aug 17, 2003
  18. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    why? said:

    > On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:26:03 +0100, Brian H¹© wrote:

    >> Liz said:

    > <snip>
    >

    >>> No, Brian. I don't know how to make batch file commands.

    >> OK, thanks.
    >>
    >>> I am still in the first stage of the experiment. Have you tried posting
    >>> your question in NT groups?

    >> Will do ;-)

    > Me

    Thanks, I'll have to try that during the week when NTL binary servers are
    available.

    Brian H¹©, Aug 17, 2003
  19. Brian H¹©

    Bri. Guest

    [snip]

    >> Brian is correct, the default is to prompt on overwrites unless MOVE
    >> command is being executed from within a batch script.
    >>
    >> Just read this myself ...

    http://math.ucsd.edu/~driver/driver/Computer_help/Allhelp/AllHelp.htm#MOVE

    > Thanks Microshaft, I have to double my workload.
    > I have had to run a batch file to change the attributes of all files
    > in the destination folder to read only, then prior to running the
    > batch file to move everything, I have to run a batch file to change
    > the attributes of the files to be moved to read only so that the move
    > skips a duplicate.

    I understood what you meant, pleased that you solved it.
    There's always a way ;-)

    --
    Where's Will?

    Bri., Aug 17, 2003
  20. Brian H¹©

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 16:51:44 +0100, Brian H¹© wrote:

    > why? said:

    >> <snip>

    >>> OK, thanks.

    >>> Will do ;-)

    >> Me

    >Thanks, I'll have to try that during the week when NTL binary servers are
    >available.

    YW, I also hope it's a text only group (and available on the NTL text
    server. Or is it just as bad?) as well despite the some times binary
    files posted.

    You could always start here, see what's already been asked.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?group=alt.msdos.batch.nt

    If anything you should be able to find links to the many batch command
    sites like,

    http://www.computerhope.com/batch.htm
    http://www.calweb.com/~webspace/batch/

    Resource listing- FAQ, sites ,